CAUTION!!!! sticky finger on the GRAND

Cruisers from WA

[quote name='karatemom2']Being too trusting is not a moral lapse but stealing is![/quote]

But it is a lapse of intelligence, which is the bigger problem in society today.

(...and yes, I am purposely saying something controversial to get this thread edited and/or locked. We are waaaay into dead horse territory here)

Based on our experience, safes are not that safe. When something is taken from the safe, it is not that comforting.

As for putting all items in the safe that are dear to you... that may not be possible these days. We travel with 2 DSLR cameras, an underwater camera and 2 laptops. The safe is not big enough for our needs. We like to take HD photographs and save them off as we go. We do lock our cameras in our TSA locked baggage in our room. But I wish we didn't have to do that. Edited by Love.II.Cruise

The only thing that goes in our safe is cash and the passports. The two ipads, MacBook Pro and Nikon cameras are on the desk.

Never had a problem in all these years and are not going to start locking things up at this point.

Mike:) Edited by bhopal21

I'm so sorry this theft happened to the OP. We were on the Grand at the same time. We put our wallets and passports in the safe immediately. However, there was one time that we returned to the cabin to find the door wasn't securely closed (could have been us or the steward). We found that the door needed to be slammed shut to latch properly! Also, our verandah door (Caribe deck) wasn't secure, couldn't be locked properly. After reporting this to the cabin steward (who said he already knew), we arrived back the next afternoon to find our main door to the hallway not working with the key and finally realized it was ajar again. A maintenance person was in the cabin repairing the sliding door to the verandah. The sliding door did lock after the repair, but the handle was still very "loose". It was a short cruise; otherwise I think it would have been an ongoing issue to try to have our cabin doors secure! Obviously we were not terribly impressed, unfortunately.

I'm so sorry this theft happened to the OP. We were on the Grand at the same time. We put our wallets and passports in the safe immediately. However, there was one time that we returned to the cabin to find the door wasn't securely closed (could have been us or the steward). We found that the door needed to be slammed shut to latch properly! Also, our verandah door (Caribe deck) wasn't secure, couldn't be locked properly. After reporting this to the cabin steward (who said he already knew), we arrived back the next afternoon to find our main door to the hallway not working with the key and finally realized it was ajar again. A maintenance person was in the cabin repairing the sliding door to the verandah. The sliding door did lock after the repair, but the handle was still very "loose". It was a short cruise; otherwise I think it would have been an ongoing issue to try to have our cabin doors secure! Obviously we were not terribly impressed, unfortunately.

Thanks for the heads up, as we will be on the Grand in the Fall. May I ask what cabin you were in?

Thanks.

We were on the Grand this month to Hawaii, and our friends noticed that the envelopes they were preparing for tips ( that they had placed under books, etc.,) had been gone through, and the cabin steward took his, even though it was buried under a lot of other papers.

Another friend noticed her clothing had been looked through.

no wonder he looked upset he was grilled for sure all because you were careless enough to leave wallets out

I never trust anyone, always use the safe, protects you and every other innocent person

Seriously?? You are blaming the victim? People that steal are pond scum bottom feeders. If you forgot your camera on a pool chair it should be turned into Guest Services, if you left your reader in the buffet it should be turned into Guest Services. Not everyone is "perfect" but in your cabin you should have some semblance of security. I feel sorry for the OP for their loss and for the unsolicited advice and pox be on all thieves.

We were on the Grand this month to Hawaii, and our friends noticed that the envelopes they were preparing for tips ( that they had placed under books, etc.,) had been gone through, and the cabin steward took his, even though it was buried under a lot of other papers.

Another friend noticed her clothing had been looked through.

Hi Julia,

This is wrong on so many levels. I think someone at Princess needs to know about this. In all our cruises we've never experienced any problems, but I can see the Grand has someone, or a few of the crew who are just not measuring up to their standards. The cabin steward had no right to do that, and I definitely would have talked to them about it. No, I don't want to see someone lose their job or get into trouble, but this was very inappropriate and the fact that your friend had an experience too, makes me wonder what is going on with members of that crew?

Thanks for the heads up' date=' as we will be on the Grand in the Fall. May I ask what cabin you were in?

Thanks.[/quote']

We were on the Grand multiple times and twice for 30 days straight. We never had anything missing. I was impressed that I left my gold chain on the bed and the room steward set it over my travel alarm and made sure to tell me where I left it. Another time I had the safe open and on the way to the bathroom my husband shut the cupboard and I never locked the safe. Nothing was taken. I couldn't believe I forgot to lock the safe.

I guess I thought the safe was SAFE. I wouldn't think Princess would give just one person this responsibility--too much temptation; however, I don't think they would risk their job.

We were just on the Emerald, 30 days and I left out our tip envelopes behind the tissue box and they had money in them, and our steward never took his or any of them until we have him his extra tip (we do leave on our shipboard tips). He was the second best room steward we ever had.

I also notices that sometimes room service does not shut the door all the way, they don't want to slam it. I got in the habit of checking it after they came in and asked for deliveries to be made when we were there for that reason and to tip them. I always keep lots of $1 bills for tips in an envelope in the drawer which is not locked. Room service has seen us take out of this area too and nothing to our knowing was taken.

Last cruise on Emerald my husband forgot to take his license out of this pocket and the shorts went to the wash. I let our steward know and he let his supervisor, Evelyn, know and we noticed this the next afternoon, she ran to laundry herself and brought his license back to us. I was totally impressed, as his license is a CDL license.

Now I feel paranoid if we would get someone who wouldn't be honest. Have we just been lucky?

We have never had a problem in 15 cruises. Laptop left in cabin. iPads left in cabin. jewelry on desk top (costume jewelry, but not inexpensive). Our tour tickets in a drawer. Cash for,room service tips in the drawer. This is why these reports surprised me. The fact that the Grand has had a few reports that have been written about recently, and we are sailing on the Grand in the Fall, made me concerned. I will be more cautious now, that's for certain, however, I have always found our cabin stewards to be honest, hard working people and it's a shame a few dishonest people have to ruin it for others.

....................................SNIP..........................

Last cruise on Emerald my husband forgot to take his license out of this pocket and the shorts went to the wash. I let our steward know and he let his supervisor, Evelyn, know and we noticed this the next afternoon, she ran to laundry herself and brought his license back to us. I was totally impressed, as his license is a CDL license.

I am ashamed to say that I can top that!

I came back from a shore excursion and threw my clothes in the laundry. The room steward took them with him after turn down service. The next evening he returned my laundry and taped to one of the hangers was my credit card!!! Yes, it was my responsibility to check pockets for valuables before sending things to the laundry. I was extremely impressed with the honesty of so many people who handled my clothing and kept track of the credit card. I tipped the steward well and wrote a glowing report of my experience to the Hotel manager and to corporate. BTW, I never canceled the card nor was anything ever charged to it.:)

I think at some point you have to have some trust. We bring with us 2 DSLR cameras with 3 lens' along with an underwater camera and an older very small pocket camera that does great panoramic shots. We also bring 2 laptops on our trips. None of this fits in the safe. We do put our wallets and passports in the safe (but even that can be overridden as I've previously stated).

We do have TSA locks on our luggage, but it is a pain to put the cameras and laptops up all the time. At some point I think most people assume some level of trust.

I am ashamed to say that I can top that!

I came back from a shore excursion and threw my clothes in the laundry. The room steward took them with him after turn down service. The next evening he returned my laundry and taped to one of the hangers was my credit card!!! Yes, it was my responsibility to check pockets for valuables before sending things to the laundry. I was extremely impressed with the honesty of so many people who handled my clothing and kept track of the credit card. I tipped the steward well and wrote a glowing report of my experience to the Hotel manager and to corporate. BTW, I never canceled the card nor was anything ever charged to it.:)

Wow, that is wonderful someone was so honest. I guess some of us have been very lucky. Hopefully our luck does not run out.