Holland America tranferring 2 ships to P&O

Yes, it was one of a number of projects submitted that had been approved. This was done under the Labor government.

Not sure if you remember, but when the current Liberal government came in, they cancelled a lot of things that were in progress, where they could. This was one of the projects that were cancelled.

It is a shame for the Norfolk Islander's tourism and for the cruisers going there (or rather not going there).:eek:

It is a shame for the Norfolk Islander's tourism and for the cruisers going there (or rather not going there).:eek:

Yes, the sad thing is how much Norfolk Islanders and the economy are suffering since the GFC. They could really do with a boost to tourism that having a reliable cruise service would provide. Unlike here, there isn't a massive number of tourists that naturally go there cruise or not, so cruising would actually boost that market substantially.

Although there are always competing demands on the dollar, it's a real shame we can't help out our own with really simple infrastructure improvements, that will have a return that easily exceeds the investment.

Unlike many South Pacific islands where our ships are currently going to, which are being overwhelmed and spoiled due to the numbers visiting, Norfolk Island has the capacity, on-land infrastructure/roads to handle that growth. There are also a wide variety of attractions and activities for visitors, as well as the historical angle. It's one of those true win-wins, which is probably why it originally got approved.

But hey, it doesn't have an interest group of voters/interests like the Cadbury factory in Tasmania, so no funds for them from this mob!

I just got back from a travel industry night with P&O and am excited to report that one of the new P&O (or ex-HAL, depending on how you look at it) ships will be based out of Fremantle in 2016. Apparently with them being smaller (actually "shorter" is how they put it), the ships will be able to dock in a lot of the new ports in Indonesia and Northern WA. YAY! :)

Joanne, Packetau, who is currently cruising Norway and the Baltics on the Ryndham, says she really likes this ship and the HAL product.

I personally think the medium size ships better suit many of the smaller port facilities of Australia, NZ and the South Pacific.

The possibilities in this region are endless.

Can you imagine Ryndam stopping at ports up the Queensland Coast, calling into Thursday Island, en route to Darwin, in our winter season.

The ships are "Ladies of a certain age" and are well maintained. I will miss the Ryndam out of Tampa, FL.

I just got back from a travel industry night with P&O and am excited to report that one of the new P&O (or ex-HAL, depending on how you look at it) ships will be based out of Fremantle in 2016. Apparently with them being smaller (actually "shorter" is how they put it), the ships will be able to dock in a lot of the new ports in Indonesia and Northern WA. YAY! :)

That is great news for WA. 2016 gives local TAs lots of time to plan interesting fly/cruise possibilities to extend the local market.

Where is the other one going to be based?

That is great news for WA. 2016 gives local TAs lots of time to plan interesting fly/cruise possibilities to extend the local market.

That is great news. Hopefully there will be a ship based in every capital city in the future (except Canberra of course).:D

The ships are "Ladies of a certain age" and are well maintained. I will miss the Ryndam out of Tampa, FL.

Good to hear.

I'm looking forward to Ryndam cruising in Australia. She will be a good size for us, as she was able to cruise under your Skyway Bridge.

They didn't say where the second ship would be based exactly, but there were hints about Brisbane.

They didn't say where the second ship would be based exactly, but there were hints about Brisbane.

Brisbane makes good sense, especially for winter cruising, as it is closer to the warmer tropics and South Pacific Islands.

In addition, Portside is close to the Brisbane Domestic and International Airport.

Brisbane makes good sense, especially for winter cruising, as it is closer to the warmer tropics and South Pacific Islands.

In addition, Portside is close to the Brisbane Domestic and International Airport.

An excellent embarkation port for all of the south pacific voyages. :D

• 1 month later...

From P&O Australia:

Our new ship's names will be revealed tomorrow! We'll be making the historic announcement on the sand at Bondi Beach from 11.30am tomorrow if you would like to be one of the first in the world to know. Otherwise stay tuned to Facebook, Twitter and Instagram for all the news.

Wow, I must say that I am a little disappointed in those names. :(

The name Eden is nice, the Pacific in fron makes sense but I would have preferred in gone. No comment on Aria, except to say why Aria?

Maybe its supposed to be Azaria?