Holland America tranferring 2 ships to P&O

I'm curious ...

HAL is one of the Carnival Corp. brands, right?

If so, I wonder why they aren't keeping those ships under the HAL brand but just basing them out of Australia as they have with Princess? From what I've been reading, HAL is known and loved by many here and internationally. It would have given the semblance of an extra cruise line dedicating itself to the Australian market.

But I guess Carnival Corp feel there is more sales opportunities in the P&O market. Pity!

HAL have at least one mega ship being built or in the pipeline, so their older ships are being retired and replaced.

I'm curious ...

If so, I wonder why they aren't keeping those ships under the HAL brand but just basing them out of Australia as they have with Princess? From what I've been reading, HAL is known and loved by many here and internationally. It would have given the semblance of an extra cruise line dedicating itself to the Australian market.

But I guess Carnival Corp feel there is more sales opportunities in the P&O market. Pity!

It's a different sort of market. They're not the sort to want to have two ships here year round, and HAL had wanted to get rid of one of the ships for some time, in line with their overall capacity.

You'll also find HAL pricing is substantially higher than P&O, so they wouldn't have the volume to keep the two ships operating here.

Basically, HAL manage their own ships, and didn't want to keep them, while P&O saw an opportunity to slightly refresh/expand, and likely got a very good deal on purchasing them.

I'm curious ...

You are heading off on the same track as me. Its all the same company...ie all the profit heads off to fatten American pockets .

I believe the 2 ships should be kept together and should be run by Carnival Australia , (as is P&O Australia, Princess Australia and Carnival), as a cruise line aimed at the premium cruising market.

The top 2 decks with the suites and balcony cabins are ideal and would be highly sought after. The lower decks would offer the standard Ocean View and Insides to cater to people who do not want to pay a premium.

And if kept here as HAL ships, the Aussies would remove their tips, LOL. Hence them being rebranded by Carnival as P&O Australia ships and tips included in fare as a non removeable cost as they have done with the 3 Aussie Princess ships, Sea/Dawn/Sun. Auto tips = Automatic Wage Subsidy.

Edited by NSWP

Personally I think these two new ships will be great assets for P&O - who I commend for their long term commitment to Aussie cruising, something which can't be said for the carpetbaggers who come here for the "season" only!! :(

You leave my Diamond and Golden Princess alone!! :D

And if kept here as HAL ships, the Aussies would remove their tips, LOL. Hence them being rebranded by Carnival as P&O Australia ships and tips included in fare as a non removeable cost as they have done with the 3 Aussie Princess ships, Sea/Dawn/Sun. Auto tips = Automatic Wage Subsidy.

Personally I don't care what cruiseline they are under if the itinerary and the price is right, then I am interested. Hopefully, these two extra ships may keep the pricing competitive and maybe even drive it lower (very hopeful).:D

I'm curious ...

You make a pretty good point OzKiwiJJ.

Could also be a good business case. One would expect the cost to transform the ships into P&O products would be greater than "freshening" them up within the existing HAL format and style.

I haven't sailed HAL before, mainly due to the "stigma" (right or wrong) in the back of my mind, that the average age demographic on the average itinerary so much higher than say Princess, and more so Carnival or RCCI and definately P&O. If that "mood" is felt generally, it may effect Carival's descision making. If Carnival corp. feel they want to increase their market share or grow the market generally, one might think they would need to look at growth markets. In cruising terms, those growth markets would be younger or newer generations/demographics attracted to the industry. P&O would/could fit that bill.

I do not believe that the Vista Class will fit under Sydney Harbour bridge.

Please advise the name of any Vista class ship that has berthed west of the Bridge ??

Barry

Others have responded, but we were on board the Oosterdam , on our balcony to experience her first sailing under the Sydney Harbour Bridge, to berth at Bangaroo, 2nd January 2013.

Could also be a good business case. One would expect the cost to transform the ships into P&O products would be greater than "freshening" them up within the existing HAL format and style.

I haven't sailed HAL before, mainly due to the "stigma" (right or wrong) in the back of my mind, that the average age demographic on the average itinerary so much higher than say Princess, and more so Carnival or RCCI and definately P&O. If that "mood" is felt generally, it may effect Carival's descision making. If Carnival corp. feel they want to increase their market share or grow the market generally, one might think they would need to look at growth markets. In cruising terms, those growth markets would be younger or newer generations/demographics attracted to the industry. P&O would/could fit that bill.

I've sailed HAL 3 times and the age demographic with Americans on board is definately older - so cruise at the beginning or end of the season when the Americans are doing the Transpacific you will find an older clientèle. However the cruises I have done 'mid season' with a higher proportion of Aussies on board seemed to indicate that the age group was more eclectic. There were plenty of younger people on board, just not the 20 somethings in great quantity. HAL is definitely not for them unless they like a more laid back cruise.

I also think the growing cruise market is not with the younger set, but my age group - the 50 and 60 year olds that have more discretionary income, nearing retirement or retired and looking for a holiday where, as my husband puts it, he doesn't have to drive, unpack or worry about cooking, cleaning or washing. Wake up in the morning and there is your next destination.

Also I have found the larger HAL ships are quite competitively priced, even with the gratuities factored in, it is just their prices start high and come down closer to the cruise date. Their alcohol prices are also very good (except for the wine and that is a contentious thread on the HAL board at any time).

when they become p&o the gratuities will be included in with the fare and the currency will be AUD but if they come under HAL the currency would be in USD and gratuities would be an extra

But Princess have AUD and included gratuities with the Aussie-based ships and USD and separate gratuities with the rest of their fleet. HAL could do the same. Same parent company so it's not like they are having to reinvent the wheel, they're already doing it with two brands.

It will be interesting to see if their marketing decision is correct. Younger generations often have different priorities for holidays than cruising. We never considered cruising in the past as we were too busy doing land-based trips where we could spend more than one day in places of interest, especially in Europe. Now we're getting olderm we're trying cruising more as a relaxation-type holiday.

It will be interesting to see if their marketing decision is correct. Younger generations often have different priorities for holidays than cruising. We never considered cruising in the past as we were too busy doing land-based trips where we could spend more than one day in places of interest, especially in Europe. Now we're getting olderm we're trying cruising more as a relaxation-type holiday.

Time will tell, but I think that they will fill the ships if the price is right and they wouldn't care if it is filled with the younger or the older demographic, as long as it is filled.:D

Their alcohol prices are also very good (except for the wine and that is a contentious thread on the HAL board at any time).

That sounds like a fun thread to get in on :D

I have come close in the past to booking with HAL (even just to try it out), but the "age thing in my head" always took over. We sailed on the QM2 a few years ago, and the average age on board was about 80. It was a beautiful ship and a very nice experience (as I could finally keep up with everyone :D), but not the norm I would want from future cruises......

Time will tell, but I think that they will fill the ships if the price is right and they wouldn't care if it is filled with the younger or the older demographic, as long as it is filled.:D

With P&O, they always find a right price to fill the ships.

Same for most lines, but as they only have the local market to go off, you can get more incredible bargains with them than others.

With P&O, they always find a right price to fill the ships.

Same for most lines, but as they only have the local market to go off, you can get more incredible bargains with them than others.

Yep, the price will drop until it is filled.:D

It will be interesting to see if their marketing decision is correct. Younger generations often have different priorities for holidays than cruising. We never considered cruising in the past as we were too busy doing land-based trips where we could spend more than one day in places of interest, especially in Europe. Now we're getting older we're trying cruising more as a relaxation-type holiday.

I agree.

Why would they be interested in cruising, when they can travel much longer and so cheaply in SEAsia? The world is their oyster!

I agree.

Why would they be interested in cruising, when they can travel much longer and so cheaply in SEAsia? The world is their oyster!

SE Asia may have its cheap places but some of them are becoming more and more unstable to visit. Thailand is a case in point at the moment.:D

Back when I started cruising in the 70,s you hardly ever saw an older person. I think there is a market for a new generation of cruisers...just check out who loves the short cruises. More competition means it's easier to find a style of cruising that fits us all. I just want some different itineraries for local cruising and for the prices to be competitive with those elsewhere we still pay too much.

Sue

We dont tip, we dont whinge as much as the yanks, we dont care what age ship we go on, we are Aussies from Down Under which to the Yanks is the ar..e end of the earth where all the bogans live so how can we expect anything better?!!

John

Back when I started cruising in the 70,s you hardly ever saw an older person. I think there is a market for a new generation of cruisers...just check out who loves the short cruises. More competition means it's easier to find a style of cruising that fits us all. I just want some different itineraries for local cruising and for the prices to be competitive with those elsewhere we still pay too much.

Sue

Likewise.:D

Sue

What cruises did you go on in the 70s, Sue?

On all my early cruises, the passengers were ancient (:)), with few young people.

Of all the young people I know (under 40), no-one is interested in cruising, either here or overseas.

What cruises did you go on in the 70s, Sue?

On all my early cruises, the passengers were ancient (:)), with few young people.

Of all the young people I know (under 40), no-one is interested in cruising, either here or overseas.

Hence the term 'Floating Nursing Homes' Although the correct term these days is 'Floating Aged Care Facility.' LOL.

Yes HAL sure got the above label.

Hence the term 'Floating Nursing Homes' Although the correct term these days is 'Floating Aged Care Facility.' LOL.

Yes HAL sure got the above label.

Princess Australia are giving them a good run for their money in Australia.:D