Holland America tranferring 2 ships to P&O

According to HAL website capacity for both those ships is 1260. It will be interesting to see where they crowbar the extra 240 or so cabins into.

They're just standard cabins, no need to squeeze more.

HAL quote on a twin share basis, which is the industry standard, but doesn't account for the cabins with more than two.

That said, HAL's not known for having a younger crowd onboard! Quite the opposite... ;-)

Is there no hope for the Australian cruise market at all. Are we so useless and worthless that we get the garbage that the rest of the cruising world consider outdated and inferior, or is it that we just celebrate mediocrity. It should be a time to celebrate when we get more ships here but to me this is a constant insult to always get the hand-me-downs.

The news article states on one site.

If our love for cruising is that great and our market is booming then why the hell not give us a new build!!

I can guarantee there will be people that hit on this and come up with BS like we don't have the market to sustain a new built - well that is BS. We do have the market to sustain a new built. Australians are flying all over the world to do a cruise. Our numbers on Princess ships are now exceeding the British. We are getting some of the biggest and latest ships down here from competing lines. If P&O Australia does not wake up to itself it will soon find it is a line of irreparable dregs that has no hope of competing against the likes of Royal Caribbean, Celebrity and even Carnival's own Princess. Carnival Spirit and Carnival Legend are even more modern than these antiques.

No one is forcing you to cruise on these ships so you have absolutely no stance to complain, don't like it... don't go on it.

From my experience I would happily sail on the smaller and older ships, I've actually had as good if not better experiences on them. Keep in mind that I have sailed on Celebrity Solstice and Radiance of the Seas. Yes they are nice but they definitely lack some of the charm that older ships have.

All ships are great in their own way I wouldn't slander them as "garbage".

The Celebrity Century is being sent off to the French once we're done with it, wonder if that means the French are less discerning than we are :rolleyes:

Reading some of these comments us Aussies sound like the biggest bunch of whingers in the world, should just be grateful we have so many options to choose from.

HAL quote on a twin share basis, which is the industry standard, but doesn't account for the cabins with more than two.

That said, HAL's not known for having a younger crowd onboard! Quite the opposite... ;-)

They won't be HAL though, they will become P&O.:D

No one is forcing you to cruise on these ships so you have absolutely no stance to complain, don't like it... don't go on it.

From my experience I would happily sail on the smaller and older ships, I've actually had as good if not better experiences on them. Keep in mind that I have sailed on Celebrity Solstice and Radiance of the Seas. Yes they are nice but they definitely lack some of the charm that older ships have.

All ships are great in their own way I wouldn't slander them as "garbage".

The Celebrity Century is being sent off to the French once we're done with it, wonder if that means the French are less discerning than we are :rolleyes:

Reading some of these comments us Aussies sound like the biggest bunch of whingers in the world, should just be grateful we have so many options to choose from.

I agree, more options is a good thing. :D

KARATEMAN

You and I think alike on this issue but in the overall scheme of things ie Cruise Critic numbers compared with the total numbers of cruisers not involved with Cruise Critic, we are whistling in the wind. Just so long as Carnival Corp can keep the numbers up of naive Australian cruisers using their ships, whatever cruise line it is, we will continue to be treated like mugs and at inflated prices as compared with the US market who get the brand new ships.

The few of us can all but keep trying.

John

According to HAL website capacity for both those ships is 1260. It will be interesting to see where they crowbar the extra 240 or so cabins into.

I dont think they would even contemplate adding extra cabins. That would entail extra plumbing work which would be too expensive. Rather , they will increase the carrying capacity in some cabins, making them "friendly fours" instead of twins.

The top deck will be the one to watch. The Neptune Suites are very spacous and luxurious. I would love them to remain as they are but I do not think Carnival Australia, (P&O Australia) or whatever they choose to call themselves, could resist the temptation.They could become Family Suites or dread horror , bunk rooms.:eek:

I have noticed that people often mistake the number of lower berths for total passenger capacity. I don't know how many upper berths Ryndam currently has, but I know that on one of our cruises on her we had three people in the cabin. It was a suite and the third person was on a lounge that converted into a bed. On that cruise there were other people who were cruising with more than two in a cabin. On our next cruise we had a choice between having four of us in a cabin (using upper bunks) or two cabins twin share. We went for the latter.

I had a quick look at the deck plans of Ryndam. They show plenty of cabins with 3 or 4 beds. I didn't take the time to count them.

I think the same applied to the old Regal Princess. She also had some upper berths, so it isn't reasonable to assume that the difference between Regal's lower berths and Pacific Dawn's total number of berths, were all new additions.

Please - let's forget the alarmist posts about cramming extra cabins or extra berths into Ryndam.

Edited by Aus Traveller

I dont think they would even contemplate adding extra cabins. That would entail extra plumbing work which would be too expensive. Rather , they will increase the carrying capacity in some cabins, making them "friendly fours" instead of twins.

The top deck will be the one to watch. The Neptune Suites are very spacous and luxurious. I would love them to remain as they are but I do not think Carnival Australia, (P&O Australia) or whatever they choose to call themselves, could resist the temptation.They could become Family Suites or dread horror , bunk rooms.:eek:

Some lines e.g. RCL and Celebrity, have recently added extra cabins so it's not cost prohibitive.

However, in this case, based on the information released so far, it seems the configuration will be kept as is, with no increases in capacity.

Some lines e.g. RCL and Celebrity, have recently added extra cabins so it's not cost prohibitive.

However, in this case, based on the information released so far, it seems the configuration will be kept as is, with no increases in capacity.

Let us hope that they can be a competitive upmarket ship for P&O. It may even tempt me back to P&O if they have the right itinerary to interest me at a reasonable price.:D

Would be a shame to ruin those lovely staterooms.

It really is dissapointing. I think we should be able to have access to a brand new ship, built purely for the Australian Market. Even something around the Vista class size (can still fit under the bridge), but with Australian inspired modern furnishings and activities. I feel as though this was just a desperate attempt to boost the cruising numbers up.

I do not believe that the Vista Class will fit under Sydney Harbour bridge.

Please advise the name of any Vista class ship that has berthed west of the Bridge ??

Barry

I agree -- I actually like the older style of ship (think Oriana with its accessible and fantastic outside areas ) rather than the newer style of floating apartment blocks ( think Vista or basically any other recent new build).

I just wish they would bring back an older ship like Pacific Star -- completely refurbished internally. :)

Any ship regardless of age can be made to look nice internally -- it is the essential ship design and the exterior decks that makes a ship for me -- not what artwork hangs on the walls inside. Those who want new ships here can keep their floating buildings in my opinion!! :)

I am just disappointed that Oriana has not been assigned to Aussie waters. :(

Barry

I do not believe that the Vista Class will fit under Sydney Harbour bridge.

Please advise the name of any Vista class ship that has berthed west of the Bridge ??

Barry

Oosterdam has sailed under the bridge..

22oost_zps68422fc3.jpg

Any ship regardless of age can be made to look nice internally -- it is the essential ship design and the exterior decks that makes a ship for me -- not what artwork hangs on the walls inside. Those who want new ships here can keep their floating buildings in my opinion!! :)

Barry

Let's hope the refurbishments are so well done, people want to cruise on them.

It can be done. Just look at the old Celebrity ships, Mercury and Galaxy, which went to Tui Cruises, Mein Schiff1 and 2, for German cruisers.

David beat me to it ! I stayed at a hotel in Nth Sydney and saw one of the dams leaving either White Bay or close by and travelling under the Bridge. I have a couple of photos of that on my mobile. Cheers, Buzz.

Hi ,

They only around the 53000ton mark so they are not big by todays standard

Well, the Ryndam and Statendam are -- but the Oosterdam ( which is not being sent to Oz) is a Vista Class at around 90,000 tonnes. It was that which surprised me re getting under the bridge.

Personally I think these two new ships will be great assets for P&O - who I commend for their long term commitment to Aussie cruising, something which can't be said for the carpetbaggers who come here for the "season" only!! :(

Barry

It was tight :eek: Sailed on her first in March 2013 and was berthed at Burungaroo (forgive the spelling). We were all on the top deck, everyone was holding their breathe. We are all saying, we're not going to make it, wer're not going to make it :) Then we slipped under with what seemed like inches to spare and I turned around and their was the funnels still to come! It was quite exciting. This year we left from the OPT which was much more civilised. But the Oosterdam has regularly been under the bridge. Don't know about the Noordam though when she replaces the Oosterdam on the Australian run in 2015/16, she has had some modifications on the top decks.

I'm curious ...

HAL is one of the Carnival Corp. brands, right?

If so, I wonder why they aren't keeping those ships under the HAL brand but just basing them out of Australia as they have with Princess? From what I've been reading, HAL is known and loved by many here and internationally. It would have given the semblance of an extra cruise line dedicating itself to the Australian market.

But I guess Carnival Corp feel there is more sales opportunities in the P&O market. Pity!

I'm curious ...

HAL is one of the Carnival Corp. brands, right?

If so, I wonder why they aren't keeping those ships under the HAL brand but just basing them out of Australia as they have with Princess? From what I've been reading, HAL is known and loved by many here and internationally. It would have given the semblance of an extra cruise line dedicating itself to the Australian market.

But I guess Carnival Corp feel there is more sales opportunities in the P&O market. Pity!

when they become p&o the gratuities will be included in with the fare and the currency will be AUD but if they come under HAL the currency would be in USD and gratuities would be an extra