Has Summit really become that bad?

CruisingChick

I am boarding Summit in 5 days and all I am reading are complaints about the ship.

Is it really that bad? What's going on?

I want to know the same thing!! I've never sailed Celebrity and was so excited, but now I'm not so sure...

Hope you have a good trip :)

I was on the Summit May 4, through May 11. We had a great time. We had no complaints. Ship was in good condition, crew in my opinion was great. We didnt have issues with the buffet as others have indicated.

We were on the ship within 10 minutes and same for getting off. We didnt attend a lot of things so cant comment on activities. Kids went to kids club and had a great time. Our waiter and asst were great.

My only complaint if you could call it that is that in the dining room the asst waiter is now responsible for getting drinks for the bar if you want them. There are no bar waiters in the dining room. I feel that was a bad decision on Celebrities part, however with that being said our asst waiter was very good about getting our drinks. What it did do was put some of the work he would have done on the waiters shoulders.

I would go again on the Summit in a heartbeat.

Norma

Anne Maria - you know there are some people you just can't please. how many celebrity cruises have we been on and they were great. we are going to have a great time on our cruise. those people complaining complain about everything. they just wish they were cruising with us. As h20cruzer said "Everything was great!"

Anne Maria - you know there are some people you just can't please. how many celebrity cruises have we been on and they were great. we are going to have a great time on our cruise. those people complaining complain about everything. they just wish they were cruising with us. As h20cruzer said "Everything was great!"

I hope so Marlene. It just seems they are trying out a lot of things on Summit and they are not sure what they are doing.

Don't you worry. We are going to have fun and everything is going to be fine. Food is always good, crew is always the best and Elite Hour! All we have to worry about is the weather. Keep counting down the days. I ironed everything and just did a check off list and everything I ironed is wrinkled already. Tuff! Not ironing all over again!

Don't you worry. We are going to have fun and everything is going to be fine. Food is always good, crew is always the best and Elite Hour! All we have to worry about is the weather. Keep counting down the days. I ironed everything and just did a check off list and everything I ironed is wrinkled already. Tuff! Not ironing all over again!

You are so lucky. I am stuck here at work. Will not be packing and ironing until Friday night and Saturday. Frank has to work Saturday so I will be stuck, as usual, doing all the work. At least he carries all the luggage.

Praying for good weather, no traffic and a nice smooth sailing to Bermuda. Last year it was really smooth.

Edited by CruisingChick

We did the May 4th cruise to Bermuda on the Summit and loved it. We were in Aqua cabin and only ate it Blu and two speciality restaurants. We were so happy that we are going to book next year. Everyone that we met on board seemed pleased with the ship and the service as well as the food. .

You are so lucky. I am stuck here at work. Will not be packing and ironing until Friday night and Saturday. Frank has to work Saturday so I will be stuck, as usual, doing all the work. At least he carries all the luggage.

Praying for good weather, no traffic and a nice smooth sailing to Bermuda. Last year it was really smooth.

Hope you have a great time. I'll be looking forward to your review, when you get back. We're looking forward to sailing on Summit for the first time, later this year. I'm generally taking the bad reviews/comments with a grain of salt. Not to put down on those who've had a bad experience -- cruising can be a very subjective experience. But, one example is the recent negative review of the buffet. Since we almost never eat there, it isn't a cause of concern for us.

Edited by wwcruisers

By your signature,you have cruised Celebrity often enough to make Elite plus, & you have been on these boards for since 2003. You should not even have to ask.

I can't tell you how many times I have cruised on a Celebrity ship soon after reading numerous reports of the ship's demise, & how terrible the ship was. When I gat on board & see for myself, I always ask myself, "is this the same ship? Where are the problems?"

Just go & have a great time; you're on vacation!

We were on the Summit in February. I don't know if all these "terrible" changes happened afterwards, but we thought she was great. The crew was lovely, food was good, no problems with buffet, shows were good. The spa girls give the best pedicures of anywhere. The wine steward seemed to be a bit overworked so we had to wait a while for our wine. My husband had one issue where a gluten free item wasn't available even though he had checked earlier to confirm that it would be available. He mentioned it to the F&B manager who was asking people how things were going. Ohmygosh!! They went overboard after that making sure that he got the thing he wanted, that he always found the gluten free items he wanted and in the MDR they also took care to make sure that he was getting everything he wanted. It was starting to get a bit overwhelming, actually. If being totally taken care of is bad then it was a terrible cruise. :D

Actually, the only thing we didn't like about it was the itinerary. We aren't Caribbean people and once was enough. We really liked the ship though.

By your signature,you have cruised Celebrity often enough to make Elite plus, & you have been on these boards for since 2003. You should not even have to ask.

I can't tell you how many times I have cruised on a Celebrity ship soon after reading numerous reports of the ship's demise, & how terrible the ship was. When I gat on board & see for myself, I always ask myself, "is this the same ship? Where are the problems?"

Just go & have a great time; you're on vacation!

Believe it or not my DH and have had one or two bad Celebrity cruises. There was one cruise that if it had been our first Celebrity cruise we might not have ever gone back. Service, food, etc. was terrible throughout the entire cruise on the entire ship. My DH actually had to send back dinner on 3 different evenings and one evening no one at our table could eat what we ordered and the waiter suggested it. When the assistant Maitre'D came by we told him the meat was tough and we could no eat it. He said "oh well." Really???

Our last 2 Summit cruises we did not even have an Assistant Maitre'D for our table. Luckily our waiters and assistant waiters were terrific but now assistant waiters are taking drink orders on top of their normal duties. How can they handle all that and still give great service? I guess we will see.

I'm sure we will have a good time. But I worry about the future of Celebrity and cruising in general.

I am boarding Summit in 5 days and all I am reading are complaints about the ship.

I was on the Summit

April 2013 S Carribbean CC

August 2013 Bermuda CC

December 2013 S Carribbean AC

March 2014 S Carribbean AC

I had a great time on each cruise. yes there are always some minor complaints, but the cruises were wonderful.

I am booked on the Connie for August - cheating on the Summit.

Enjoy

This was only my second cruise. Our first cruise was on that old Explorer - many people hated that ship and complained how terrible everything was. But guess what? We LOVED it!! And couldn't find anything to complain about.

I was on this Summit last week, and yes- it was a great time, but I certainly wasn't overly thrilled or wowed... I had very high expectations because everyone kept saying that celebrity was a step above Royal, and for us, we just didn't see it any better :)

I would of course go on again, we actually booked another cruise for Bermuda!- on the summit.. We booked August, but will move it once more 2016 cruises to Bermuda are announced

I was just stating that many little things really shocked me actually, I was expecting much higher end, maybe I was expecting too much?

I'm only slightly concerned about the negative Summit reviews that have been popping up lately. It does sounds like there have been some changes that are not to everyone's liking, but I'm confident we'll still have a great time. This is my third year in a row (same week) on the Summit, so I obviously do lilke the ship. I can't imagine things have gone so far downhill, and hopefully the negative reviews will mean things may be potitively modified by the time we board. :)

We sail on the Summit every August- We love the ship! Great service and all venues enjoyable! You should read member reviews to get some information from recent posters.

Not sure what you heard, but things are fine! Yes, no more buffet brunch- but really it is just a waste of food and you can eat similar food at the buffet- Really not sure what else you have read. The Normandie and Qsine are worth dining at and the MDR same as always- If you like Blu, it is also hasn't changed. The Martini Bar is excellent- the shows standard. I believe for every one complaint, 99 people have a wonderful time but typically do not post about it.

Enjoy your cruise.

We board the Summit the day you get off... so please make sure it is up to snuff :D and all these "problems" :eek: that have been reported have been taken care of so we can have a great cruise..;):D

Hope you have a great cruise and take good care of her for us! We can't wait ..last time we went we loved the Summit and Bermuda and can't wait to go back.

I had a good time on the Summit last week. Weather was great. Passengers were lovely. Most staff were nice. mDR was excellent. New chaises are good. New toiletries are very good. I hated the Buffet,. I ate in the MDR. Laundry service damaged my clothing.

Hmm, I've been trying to keep up with the Summit threads and I've only read one complaint and that is on the buffets. While that is a bit disapointing, this isn't enough for me to put the Summit in the bad catagory.

What other complaints have I missed?:confused:

Burt

Most complaints are about the 123GO Program. You had 3 different packages you could choose from for this cruise first being tips paid for length of cruise, 2nd being OBC of $100 or was it $300 and third the classic drink package. THe people who chose the Classic Drink Package are now boarding the ships and the alcohol that they were told was included is now NOT. They (Celebrity) have raised the prices of certain Liquors and beers to make them NOT available! I myself chose this option for the Feb 21 2015 cruise from SJU because Jack Daniels and Captain our mine and my man's drinks of choice and we are drinkers....Both have now had a price increase and our now part of the Premium Package. We now have to find drinks that we might like or upgrade to the Premium Package for another 11.50$ per day per person! It's not cool that Celebrity is doing a bait and switch! I will be calling tonight to talk to a rep!

:mad:

Most complaints are about the 123GO Program. ............... It's not cool that Celebrity is doing a bait and switch! I will be calling tonight to talk to a rep!

Ah, well I agree fully with your criticism of Celebrity's decision here.

Still this is being discussed on other forums as a Celebrity policy change and not pointed just at the Summit. So I guess I'm a little confused by the OPs comments. We sail the Summit in a couple weeks :D and I've been pretty excited by the reviews I've read here of that ship.

Burt

Hmm, I've been trying to keep up with the Summit threads and I've only read one complaint and that is on the buffets. While that is a bit disapointing, this isn't enough for me to put the Summit in the bad catagory.

What other complaints have I missed?:confused:

Burt

There have been numerous posts on other threads about poor and rude service, poor condition of some public areas on the ship and also poor MDR room service and food. These are coming from the recent Bermuda sailings.

Edited by CruisingChick

There have been numerous posts on other threads about poor and rude service, poor condition of some public areas on the ship and also poor MDR room service and food. These are coming from the recent Bermuda sailings.

Hmm, I guess I missed those threads.

Burt

Most complaints are about the 123GO Program. You had 3 different packages you could choose from for this cruise first being tips paid for length of cruise, 2nd being OBC of $100 or was it $300 and third the classic drink package. THe people who chose the Classic Drink Package are now boarding the ships and the alcohol that they were told was included is now NOT. They (Celebrity) have raised the prices of certain Liquors and beers to make them NOT available! I myself chose this option for the Feb 21 2015 cruise from SJU because Jack Daniels and Captain our mine and my man's drinks of choice and we are drinkers....Both have now had a price increase and our now part of the Premium Package. We now have to find drinks that we might like or upgrade to the Premium Package for another 11.50$ per day per person! It's not cool that Celebrity is doing a bait and switch! I will be calling tonight to talk to a rep!

WRONG,WRONG, Celebrity did not change the terms of the package that you received for FREE. You still get the drinks that they advertised up to the limits of the package. Yes, some of the prices went up but so did the prices of everything else in this world. REPEAT, you will still get your cocktails up to the $8.00 limit, but it might not be the same brand that you would like it to be. If you don't feel that you can live with something that you received for FREE then just pop for the extra $11.50/day and drink to your hearts content. All you have to do is knock down a couple of those premium drinks and you will get more than your moneys worth.