Creme Brulee anyone??

Alaska Lily

There are foods that are always available, even though they never show up on the "Always Available" menus. Mashed potatoes and carrots are two examples.

If there's something you want that isn't on the menu, ask. It may not be available that night, but it just may be. If you don't ask, you'll never know.

Thanks for this info, RuthC. I had no idea that mashed potatoes and carrots were available when they aren't listed. This is very helpful!

I notice there is 20 minute time difference between the 1st reply to the OP's question and your questionable reply to Crew News. Is there a time limit on replies? Should he have responded faster? This thread is now up to 24 posts. Is there a post limit per thread? No more than three frequent cruisers able to offer info?

Yes - I'm getting a little grabby about this on-going routine.

There seems to have been a misunderstanding and I apologize. I did not realize the posts were so close together at the time. apologies. :o

There are foods that are always available, even though they never show up on the "Always Available" menus. Mashed potatoes and carrots are two examples.

If there's something you want that isn't on the menu, ask. It may not be available that night, but it just may be. If you don't ask, you'll never know.

Thank you thank you thank you.

Edited by sapper1

I had mashed potatoes quite often of the westy.

We are four adults traveling with a great 11 year old kid. Her absolute favorite dessert is creme brulee. In perusing the menus on this board I did not see it on any menu except the Pinnacle Grill. Depending on the Club HAL situation she may pass on the Pinnacle Grill night...too much food and wine discussion. Does anyone know if this is served in another restaurant or can it be ordered from room service? I am attemping to keep my "favorite aunt" status.:)

Don't worry, just talked to the head Waiter or his boss! One 36 night cruise my DH asked about pickled herring, and low and behold, he was served a plate full EVERY night!!! Yes 36 nights of pickled herring as his starter :D

Usually the will try to please you and your grandchild.

Non-stop Mashed Potatoes. How did this not make it onto the "Cool Things You Would Recommend To New HAL Cruisers" thread?

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?p=41771326

Not that I have anything against carrots, mind you. But they're not Mashed Potatoes.

Just a note about Cruise Critic protocols to clear up some apparent confusion. Posts can be edited and/or deleted only within 15 minutes after posting. In some (very few) cases, posts may occasionally not appear right away so the 15 minute time limit may prevent any edits at all.

Posts that are being drafted to be posted to a thread blocks the drafter's ability to see later posts unless he/she opens a second window to watch the thread. Very few people do that. As a result there can easily be more than one post containing a response to a post and the two (or more) posts may be duplicative. Please do not assume that the appearance of two similar posts is anything more than the the normal functioning of the message boards.

Also, if an issue arises regarding the posting of reponses by more than one member, and the fact of multiple answers creates a concern, please communicate that concern to us by reporting the post via the little red triangle in the upper right corner of every post. Do NOT get into board management issues within the public thread.

Several posts discussing the existence of more than one answer being provided have been removed from this thread.

And finally, my more than ample waistline will attest to the all too easy availability of crème brûlée and to the lack of effectiveness of my morning Promenade walks to mitigate the indulgence the night before. :rolleyes:

220px-Creme_brulee.jpg

Edited by Host Walt

Just a note about Cruise Critic protocols to clear up some apparent confusion. Posts can be edited and/or deleted only within 15 minutes after posting. In some (very few) cases, posts may occasionally not appear right away so the 15 minute time limit may prevent any edits at all.

Posts that are being drafted to be posted to a thread blocks the drafter's ability to see later posts unless he/she opens a second window to watch the thread. Very few people do that. As a result there can easily be more than one post containing a response to a post and the two (or more) posts may be duplicative. Please do not assume that the appearance of two similar posts is anything more than the the normal functioning of the message boards.

Also, if an issue arises regarding the posting of reponses by more than one member, and the fact of multiple answers creates a concern, please communicate that concern to us by reporting the post via the little red triangle in the upper right corner of every post. Do NOT get into board management issues within the public thread.

Several posts discussing the existence of more than one answer being provided have been removed from this thread.

And finally, my more than ample waistline will attest to the all too easy availability of crème brûlée and to the lack of effectiveness of my morning Promenade walks to mitigate the indulgence the night before. :rolleyes:

Thanks, Host Walt. All I know is that I LOVE crème brulee in any shape or form! :)

220px-Creme_brulee.jpg

Thank you for the explanation - another Cruise Critic mystery cleared up for me.:o And just keep on walking, you'll eventually win the battle against the Creme Brulee bulge.:D

220px-Creme_brulee.jpg

Thank you for your clarification. The last thing I would do is to question the veracity of, or offend, any of the more frequent posters.

Just because the decadent dessert is available does not mean you have to eat it. Lots of other desserts have a reduced calorie/cholesterol version. Why not this one?

On our recent b2b on the Noordam (March/April TA and Barcelona to Rome) the Crème Brulee was on the menu every night on the first 1/2, then removed for the Brownie Stack for the second 1/2 of the b2b.

I complained because it is my all time favourite dessert and I ordered it every night. Found out that it can be ordered whether it is on the menu or not. "Just tell your server."

Good luck.

And now the really dangerous question, do you suppose you can get this through room service? I think I've seen that you can get anything that's on the MDR menu.

I have visions of being cuddled up in bed in the evening, reading a book, looking out at the passing scenery occasionally and very slowly savouring the crème brulee. DH will be working on the apple tart.

Okay, first I will admit that I didn't read everything on this post. BUT, I feel if you have a well behaved, totally adorable child, the staff will make sure there is crème brulee at every dinner. You can tell them ahead of time that this is a favorite and presto--it will appear.

We have found this out with Decaf coffee, iceless water, sambal etc. I haven't perfected it with "no rolls please" but I am working on this!!:)

Just because the decadent dessert is available does not mean you have to eat it. Lots of other desserts have a reduced calorie/cholesterol version. Why not this one?

It would be difficult to do since there are very few ingredients in this. A custard won't set without the right amount of fat. Sugar is required for the brulee, splenda isn't going to melt the same way.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

It would be difficult to do since there are very few ingredients in this. A custard won't set without the right amount of fat. Sugar is required for the brulee, splenda isn't going to melt the same way.

You got that right. Some things just don't bear up to tampering with. :D

I only like the crispy bit on the top of Creme Brulee - sort of like toasted marshmallows' date=' I only like the crispy outside. I know, I'm a food heathen.....:D[/quote']

It's all good. The crispy part is just the beginning.

I've made a delicious baked custard with splenda, skim milk and egg whites - its all in the ability of the cook, the desire to eat less fat and sugar, and a lot of experimentation....but I agree on the topping - which for me is key to the crème brulee - otherwise, it's just rich custard!

Rich decadent creamy feels so very good on your tongue for that one excellent first bite....crème brulee

{{{{oh sorry, I got distracted by the memory}}}}