Sneaking alcohol on board in San Juan at the Carnival pier.

Rock_ON!!

Ok. I know this has been beat to death, and I am not here to be judged, but I do plan on trying to sneak a little alcohol on board. I would like to know specifically about the liquor shops at the pier and how easy / difficult it is to get it back on to the ship. I have read that if you check in to the ship then go back out later you can get the ETOH from the stores at the terminal, and the security guards do not open your carry on bags again once you re-board. Is this true? I'd like to hear other peoples experiences and suggestions. Thank you!

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I don't think you have to sneak it on. Just come aboard with it. San Juan is the easiest port to get liquor aboard.

When we were there last year you could bring 2 bottles of wine aboard every hour and you could get 1.75 liters of Margaritas inside the terminal and they would put them in plastic bags for you so you could carry them aboard plus they gave you a 750 ml of cheap rum when you bought 2 margaritas and just put it in a shopping bag for you to carry on.

I saw many people do this with no problem whatsoever.

It's so easy in San Juan that we bought it by the case and borrowed the liquor store hand cart to pull it back to the ship/

Then we handed out flyers saying reduce prices for Jack Jim and Jose ( All my favorite men) Room 2473. We made a killing. We paid for our next cruise

You know the thing that bothered me the most about San Juan and I think it will stop me from going back.

People just walk across the road any where they felt like it.

That is JUST NOT RIGHT. They need to go to the light or cross walk.

San Juan is so easy. In January, my nephew & I even smuggled a 6 pack of beer each in our backpacks. The backpacks were scanned and we were told, have a nice day. Others on my rollcall went back & forth to the liquor store at the port and had full stocked bars in their room. One had so much, their room steward brought them a large cooler for their ice. The secret is to bring something to hide the bag, (jacket to cover or beachbag to put it in) and this way if they tell you to check it, you can cover it up and walk right past the drop off desk.

Its not guaranteed to get it on so I wouldn't buy too much at once but its definately worth the try. If you get on, all well & good. If not, you only lost a few bucks.

I don't think you have to sneak it on. Just come aboard with it. San Juan is the easiest port to get liquor aboard.

When we were there last year you could bring 2 bottles of wine aboard every hour and you could get 1.75 liters of Margaritas inside the terminal and they would put them in plastic bags for you so you could carry them aboard plus they gave you a 750 ml of cheap rum when you bought 2 margaritas and just put it in a shopping bag for you to carry on.

I saw many people do this with no problem whatsoever.

What cruise line are you all talking about?

We've sailed a great many times stopping in San Juan and people were not bringing liquor stores aboard. :D

San Juan May be fairly to bring alcohol inboard, but drugs is a different story. I have always seen several police officers with sniffing dogs at both the pier and airport.

I want to be clear, I am no way interested in drugs. I want to bring a bottle of rum on board and heard its easy and inexpensive at the carnival pier. I didn't know if it was difficult to sneak on board.

There were 2 security people stopping and checking bags that were from the in port liquor stores, and they were confiscating liquor, but like others said, the liquor check point is no where near security, so put your goods in a backpack in between. I brought 2 1L bottles of rum on without a problem that I put in to my carryon, along with my 2 bottles of wine that I showed them in the liquor store plastic bag that they asked to see.

There were 2 security people stopping and checking bags that were from the in port liquor stores, and they were confiscating liquor, but like others said, the liquor check point is no where near security, so put your goods in a backpack in between. I brought 2 1L bottles of rum on without a problem that I put in to my carryon, along with my 2 bottles of wine that I showed them in the liquor store plastic bag that they asked to see.

Thank you, that's the type of info I was looking for. So I heard there is a hallways between the liqueur store and where you re-board. The security doesn't check your carry on bag again? There is no X-ray machine?

Thank you, that's the type of info I was looking for. So I heard there is a hallways between the liqueur store and where you re-board. The security doesn't check your carry on bag again? There is no X-ray machine?

That's only 1/2 true. The scanners are located between the liquor store and the ship. Your bag will get scanned. They will either let hand you your bags back no issues or put a tag or ribbon on your bag and tell you to check it. Thats where your in luck. The hallway and gangway is between the scanners and the ship where the table is to check the alcohol. It is in that hallway where you can either cover up the tag or stuff the alcohol into a bag or backpack. Just take a quick peek to make sure there isn't a crew member behind you.

Its actually very simple but of course, no guarantees.

Edited by girlscruise2011

You can bring a bottle of wine on board per person (Don't forget your wine cork) Once you get your Sign and Sail card you then go past the liquor store. Next through security. The collection for the liquor you purchased is once you board the ship. We didn't do it but saw SEVERAL people just walking right on board w/ their bags. with that said our second cruise out of SJ we use rum runners.. No issues. Theres a CVS about a block away where you can get off the boat and get water, soda, mixers etc :D

Just got off the Valor on Sunday. My rum runners made it on just fine. Also, we went to CVS across the street a bit later and bought some rum. Carried it on in backpack. Went though the scanners with it. No one cared. Guy in front of us carried on a six pack in a plastic bag. I could see it.

It is very easy. Like another poster stated, transfer the booze from the liquor store bag into a backpack or carry on after you clear security. There are steel beams that just out into the hallway. Duck behind one of those and put them into the backpack. Piece of cake. On our cruise I don't think one person got their alcohol confiscated.

Thank you for your answers. I plan on bringing wine, but would like a rum and coke too! I don't want to have to pack liquor with me on the flight to San Juan , and buying it there would be easier.

Thank you for your answers. I plan on bringing wine, but would like a rum and coke too! I don't want to have to pack liquor with me on the flight to San Juan , and buying it there would be easier.

It's just a moment, this time will pass

Thank you for your answers. I plan on bringing wine, but would like a rum and coke too! I don't want to have to take liquor on the plane, buying it in San Juan will be easier.

Ok. I know this has been beat to death, and I am not here to be judged, but I do plan on trying to sneak a little alcohol on board. I would like to know specifically about the liquor shops at the pier and how easy / difficult it is to get it back on to the ship. I have read that if you check in to the ship then go back out later you can get the ETOH from the stores at the terminal, and the security guards do not open your carry on bags again once you re-board. Is this true? I'd like to hear other peoples experiences and suggestions. Thank you!

Funny thought. I read your post, and wondered what cruise line you were on. My guess was Carnival, since most posts on CCL revolve around smuggling. A few posts later, I discovered my guess was right!!! It's so predictable.

I'm not sure what negative connotation you were implying that CCL cruisers are predictable when it comes to smuggling alcohol. I can only guess. I do not want to get into a debate and as I said before I am not here to be judged. With all due respect, you know nothing about me.

Edited by Rock_ON!!

I'm not sure what negative connotation you were implying that CCL cruisers are predictable when it comes to smuggling alcohol. I can only guess. I do not want to get into a debate and as I said before I am not here to be judged. With all due respect, you know nothing about me.

LOL Well we know you plan on smuggling liquor onboard when it is clearly against the rules. Can you get away with it ? Maybe, but that still doesn't make it NOT against the rules.

As a side note: the rules also state that drugs are not allowed. Hmmm, wonder if you would have a problem with someone smuggling that onboard ?

Just sayin'

Just off Valor last week. It was very easy to get beer and/or alcohol on. Downstairs in the terminal there is a duty free shop. They were selling a bottle of iced tea flavored vodka with 2 - bags of margarita mix for $10. The cashiers will actually give you exact directions on how to get it onboard. It does go through scanner but no one will bat an eye. This was the first port where they didn't check our 12 packs of soda or our water either. Once you get through the scanner you proceed down the hall and then through the tunnel that connects the ship to the terminal. Once you get in the tunnel, hide your alcohol in your backpack or whatever because the table to "check" your alcohol is outside on deck 3 as soon as you step on the ship. If they see the duty free bag they will confiscate it until the end of the trip. Also, in Barbados there is a duty free liquor store in the shopping complex right at the pier. Friends of ours were able to buy liquor there and bring it back on. They don't box it and send it to your room at end of the cruise like some other duty free stores do. We were able to bring on beer in St. Lucia and St. Maarten. Put it in our collapsible cooler and sent it through scanner. They never asked us to open cooler.