Family of 5 on Coral Princess?

jgs2003

Hi,

I'm looking to take an Alaskan cruise with my husband and three children in August of 2015. The kids will be 8, 4 and 4 (yes, twins). The two options that look to be the best fit for us in terms of itinerary and price are the Coral Princess and the Celebrity Solstice. I've cruised Princess 2x before but have never sailed on Celebrity.

My question is: is there a reasonable way for us to accommodate our family without booking an expensive suite? I see that there are minisuites that accommodate four---I'm wondering if the sofa bed would be big enough for both of my 4 y.o.s to fit on it (and if Princess would even let us book 5 people in a room). The other option would be to have to rooms that connect via the balcony, but that doesn't seem like a good option with such young kids (especially since this will be for our anniversary, and I don't want to spend the week not in the same room as my husband!).

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Jody

No. The sofa bed sleeps only one. It's a twin bed. You will not be allowed to book five people in a cabin. You'll have to book two cabins. You can always re-arrange sleeping after boarding but for booking purposes, you'll have to book two cabins, one of which needs to be rated for three passengers.

Families in your situation often book a cabin with an inside across the hall. That is usually the less expensive option as Princess 3rd and 4th passenger rates are almost as much as the first two passengers.

Hi,

I'm looking to take an Alaskan cruise with my husband and three children in August of 2015. The kids will be 8, 4 and 4 (yes, twins). The two options that look to be the best fit for us in terms of itinerary and price are the Coral Princess and the Celebrity Solstice. I've cruised Princess 2x before but have never sailed on Celebrity.

My question is: is there a reasonable way for us to accommodate our family without booking an expensive suite? I see that there are minisuites that accommodate four---I'm wondering if the sofa bed would be big enough for both of my 4 y.o.s to fit on it (and if Princess would even let us book 5 people in a room). The other option would be to have to rooms that connect via the balcony, but that doesn't seem like a good option with such young kids (especially since this will be for our anniversary, and I don't want to spend the week not in the same room as my husband!).

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Jody

I like Princess but try Celebrity M class they have wonderful aft family cabinbaloncy cabins that will sleep 5. You have to have your agent call as these cabins are reserved for 5. You will not see them on-line. If they do not sell them, they are released and will show on-line.

We had a corner FV last year on the Millie and it was wonderful. Our adult daught was with us and you can close off the kids room and have some quiet time. The corner baloncy is huge half covered with a large table for 5.

Pam

Edited by Tiffany's mom
type 0

Thanks, everyone!! I was thinking we could do two balcony rooms and connect via the balconies (I wouldn't feel comfortable having the kids across the hall from us---too young) but it looks like we'd have to do two minisuites for that to work.

Tiffany's mom, thanks for the tip about the Celebrity. I saw the FV suites on the deckplans but they weren't available, so I assumed that they were already sold. I guess that could still be true, but it's great to hear that it might just be a case of them being held for calls. I'll definitely look into it. I've really enjoyed Princess, but I'm up for trying another line (I've also cruised on on Carnival and NCL).

Thanks, everyone!! I was thinking we could do two balcony rooms and connect via the balconies (I wouldn't feel comfortable having the kids across the hall from us---too young) but it looks like we'd have to do two minisuites for that to work.

Tiffany's mom, thanks for the tip about the Celebrity. I saw the FV suites on the deckplans but they weren't available, so I assumed that they were already sold. I guess that could still be true, but it's great to hear that it might just be a case of them being held for calls. I'll definitely look into it. I've really enjoyed Princess, but I'm up for trying another line (I've also cruised on on Carnival and NCL).

The reason why I suggested an inside was that you mentioned price/expensive. ;)

Some balconies have accomodations for 3 or 4 passengers, so you could still do this with two adjoining balconies.

Some balconies have accomodations for 3 or 4 passengers, so you could still do this with two adjoining balconies.

Exactly! This is what I would suggest too. Two balcony cabins, one for a double occupancy and the other for a triple occupancy, right next to each other. Be careful on the Coral/Island though - you have to make sure you get your 2 cabins in a "pair" since there is only 1 balcony partition that opens on some of the decks (like the sides of the Caribe Deck and at fire breaks). The other ships in the Princess fleet are not paired-off.

Edited by DrivesLikeMario
sp

I'm going to answer with my Mom hat on. We have done the side by side balcony cabins with the balcony opened between and also an inside across the hall for our family and it worked well, but our kids were teenagers. I think with children as young as yours I would feel very uncomfortable with any set up that puts the kids in a different room that did not connect or were connected only by an open balcony unless an adult was sleeping in each room. As this is something you don't want to do (and I don't blame you!) I would either go with a suite where you can book all of you in one room or consider a different cruise line that either offers a room where you could accommodate 5 (Disney staterooms are an example) or where you could get actual connecting rooms with a door that could remain opened between rooms.

I still think you should book the balcony and the inside as long as you book a balcony that can accommodate four people (four beds). The reason is that even if you book the two cabins that way, you can switch the sleeping arrangements once onboard and have the kids in the bunk beds with you. I assume the twins would be OK in one bed. That way, they're not on their own. The inside cabin could be used for storage and a 2nd bathroom.

Being very familiar with these bunk beds I would be very nervous letting two 4 year olds sleep together in the one bed, even with the the bar. The minimum recommended age per instructions on the bed is 5 years old. While it might be OK for one mature 4 year old I wouldn't put two young children together in that small bed. The bar does not extend the full length of the bed and with two to a bunk I could see the potential for a fall, especially if there is any extra motion. Also, since this is an anniversary cruise I'm assuming Mom and Dad would like to sleep in the same bed, but with a cabin set up for four the lower beds must remain in a twin configuration.

Just an addendum, I do think an inside with a mini suite for four might work or a balcony for four that just had one bunk and a rollaway. With these options the twins could be either in the foldout sofa bed or rollaway with the older child in the bunk and you could still have a single bed for you and your husband. A tight fit, especially with the rollaway option but at least safer for the twins.

I still think you should book the balcony and the inside as long as you book a balcony that can accommodate four people (four beds). The reason is that even if you book the two cabins that way, you can switch the sleeping arrangements once onboard and have the kids in the bunk beds with you. I assume the twins would be OK in one bed. That way, they're not on their own. The inside cabin could be used for storage and a 2nd bathroom.

Great idea Pam. I think the twins could squeeze on the sofa bed. Heck, at night, you could throw a sheet and blanket on the floor for a camp out adventure cruise :p for the young ones. I wouldn't think princess would care as long as 2 cabins paid for and the gratuity pot is right ;). What a nice thought 2 bathrooms is.

Thanks all! As karatemom said. I have to wear my mom hat with planning this trip, so even though I would prefer to be on Princess for the itinerary, it may make more sense in the end logistics-wise to go with anther line that has more room options for families. I'll keep looking at the deck plans for the Coral Princess...heck, it might make sense in the end to just splurge for a suite, assuming they can accommodate five. Thanks again!

Hi again,

I had forgotten that there was another Princess itinerary on my list: Crown Princess r/t Seattle with Glacier Bay. They offer a family suite that could fit all of us. Has anyone been on the Crown? I sailed its sister ship, the Ruby, in 2011 in the Caribbean and liked it fine.

Thanks!

Thanks all! As karatemom said. I have to wear my mom hat with planning this trip, so even though I would prefer to be on Princess for the itinerary, it may make more sense in the end logistics-wise to go with anther line that has more room options for families. I'll keep looking at the deck plans for the Coral Princess...heck, it might make sense in the end to just splurge for a suite, assuming they can accommodate five. Thanks again!

No suites except the family suite will take 5.

There are only 2 Family Suites on each of the Grand Class ships.

No such accomodation on the Coral/Island Princess.

I dug out my cruise atlas to give you the cabin #'s on the Pacific. The cabins are 7022/7024, 7030/7032, 7025/7027, 7033/7035, 6024/6026, 6027/6029, 6002/6004, 6003/6005, 8006/8008. 8007/8009, 8010/8016. 8011,8019, 4008/4010, 4012/4014, 4016/4018, 4009/4011, 4015/4017, 4019/4021.

Hope this helps.:)

FYI... Coral Princess does have adjoining cabins...

They're BE balconies...

A624/A626

A628/A630

A625/A627

A629/A631

A704/A706

A708/A710

A712/A714

A716/A718

A720/A722

FYI... Coral Princess does have adjoining cabins...

They're BE balconies...

A624/A626

A628/A630

A625/A627

A629/A631

A704/A706

A708/A710

A712/A714

A716/A718

A720/A722

Forgot about those.

Edited by Colo Cruiser

Usually, Princess will not book 5 people in a quad cabin. The rollaways are not allowed in many of the cabins due to the tight space constraints. Everyone has to have a clear path to the door and most of all, you have to have 1 bed for every person, including 4 yr. olds. There are a few rare instances when they'll allow 1 rollaway in a cabin, but it's very controlled and specific.

Usually, Princess will not book 5 people in a quad cabin. The rollaways are not allowed in many of the cabins due to the tight space constraints. Everyone has to have a clear path to the door and most of all, you have to have 1 bed for every person, including 4 yr. olds. There are a few rare instances when they'll allow 1 rollaway in a cabin, but it's very controlled and specific.

They will not allow 5 in a quad cabin.

Rollaway will be in a triple.

Edited by Colo Cruiser