When was the loud music problem solved

Loreni

(Solstice) the bleed off of sound from the main foyer .. disrupts enjoyment in close by venues.

other venues are very much under used in the evenings such as the skylounge which is a great venue for a dance .

In the daytime the ship was very pleasant not too noisy at all however the recorded music played in the ocean view cafe is NOT suitable many repeats of a female singer singing what appeared to be a wailing lament, was not good

John

Hi John:

That was our experience as well on our May Solstice cruise. Someone has decided that people would rather watch in the foyer than make the trek to the Sky Lounge for a dance tune.

If you do cruise with Celebrity, please come back and let us know your thoughts about the volume of the music. I certainly understand not being a repeat customers if not a great experience, I cruised on Princess twice and didn't go back, because I wasn't happy with that cruising experience.

Hi

You will see that I wrote regarding the loudness of the music on our cruise on Solstice, I did not think it was too loud, however in some cases it was totally wrong for the chosen venue.

I enjoy classical music (and most other types) and enjoyed the string trio , but asking them to play in a noisy bar before and after dinner was stupid , the two venues that suited them were Michaels Club and Celebrity Central.

The main atrium was at times a zoo , coming out from dinner one was faced with wall of noise and a mass of humanity this is not a good feel and totally disrupts nearby venues

Quasar was used more for $10-00 sales than a night club

The ideal thing for the main atrium would be a piano player move the bands into suitable venues The sky lounge in the evenings is an ideal venue and much underused

Put some live music into cellar masters / gasto pub (guitarist perhaps)

A piano man might be good in the esemblage bar

And use Quasar as it was intended as a nightclub .. loud and long into the night

The use of recorded music on the outer decks is something that needs a rethink , the pool area is the exception , but sensible volume levels need to be arrived at

We booked our second cruise on Solstice and go again in January the decision for a third solstice cruise will depend of that experience

I agree that if the product is not what you want and reasonable requests are not addressed then the answer is to go somewhere else .

BTW when I wrote my Solstice thoughts report after our March cruise I sent a copy to Michael Baileys office , the person that answered the e-mail actually said they agreed with what I had said in regards to the music and entertainment

So there is hope for a sensible approach to differences

Regards

John

Hi

You will see that I wrote regarding the loudness of the music on our cruise on Solstice, I did not think it was too loud, however in some cases it was totally wrong for the chosen venue.

I enjoy classical music (and most other types) and enjoyed the string trio , but asking them to play in a noisy bar before and after dinner was stupid , the two venues that suited them were Michaels Club and Celebrity Central.

The main atrium was at times a zoo , coming out from dinner one was faced with wall of noise and a mass of humanity this is not a good feel and totally disrupts nearby venues

Quasar was used more for $10-00 sales than a night club

The ideal thing for the main atrium would be a piano player move the bands into suitable venues The sky lounge in the evenings is an ideal venue and much underused

Put some live music into cellar masters / gasto pub (guitarist perhaps)

A piano man might be good in the esemblage bar

And use Quasar as it was intended as a nightclub .. loud and long into the night

The use of recorded music on the outer decks is something that needs a rethink , the pool area is the exception , but sensible volume levels need to be arrived at

We booked our second cruise on Solstice and go again in January the decision for a third solstice cruise will depend of that experience

I agree that if the product is not what you want and reasonable requests are not addressed then the answer is to go somewhere else .

BTW when I wrote my Solstice thoughts report after our March cruise I sent a copy to Michael Baileys office , the person that answered the e-mail actually said they agreed with what I had said in regards to the music and entertainment

So there is hope for a sensible approach to differences

Regards

John

John, I too have suggested to Michael Bayley's office that there needs to be a change and received a call back telling me that they had circulated my suggestions. Each venue should have a type of music that bests suits that venue. For example, the Martini Bar, IMHO it should be a dance (or techno as some call it), more of a party atmosphere. I thought Cellar Masters would have been a great place for Jazz, but now that it is being turned into a gastrobar, I think a more hipper type of music would be appropriate. Quasar should be disco/dance. The Sky Lounge is a perfect place for easy listening music. The Atrium would be a great place for a piano player or quartet. I think there should always be music at the pool and if it can't always be a band, then recorded music would be fine, as long as it is more uptemp...no sleepytime music. I think it boils down to different musical taste, you like classical and string quartet and those happen to be, along with jazz, the types of music that I really don't care for. While I care for rock, pop, hip hop, metal, blues, country, etc., you might not care for them, but that doesn't mean that Celebrity shouldn't play them.

I don't believe that Celebrity should cater to one age group with regard to music, I think all types from today's music to that music from past years from classical to hip hop.

And, yes let's hope for a sensible approach, so that everyone can enjoy the music that is played and if they don't like music in one venue, they can move to another venue where the music is more suitable to them.

Nancy

Edited by NLH Arizona

John,. I thought Cellar Masters would have been a great place for Jazz, but now that it is being turned into a gastrobar, I think a more hipper type of music would be appropriate.

Nancy

Hi Nancy

Jazz would be a good choice, a trio with a female singer could get the venue buzzing along , I dont think I heard any jazz on Solstice , also late night jazz in the Sky lounge could be nice it would work well and could go late into the night,

I really think the main problem on the Solstice was the "zoo" in the atrium , they just need to use their common sense , if you have a Robust event in the passport bar this does intrude into other areas , the issue is to contain each event in its venue

Yep I do like the idea of some jazz in the gastro pub a good guitarist also and also perhaps a piano man rotate those three and you have a good variety

Which we are taught is the spice of life

regards

John

Hi Nancy

Jazz would be a good choice, a trio with a female singer could get the venue buzzing along , I dont think I heard any jazz on Solstice , also late night jazz in the Sky lounge could be nice it would work well and could go late into the night,

I really think the main problem on the Solstice was the "zoo" in the atrium , they just need to use their common sense , if you have a Robust event in the passport bar this does intrude into other areas , the issue is to contain each event in its venue

Yep I do like the idea of some jazz in the gastro pub a good guitarist also and also perhaps a piano man rotate those three and you have a good variety

Which we are taught is the spice of life

regards

John

John, it has been a pleasure discussing this with you. I think we both agree that all types of music should be played in the appropriate venues.

If we are ever on a cruise together, I would be honored to buy you a drink, but just keep in mind, it probably won't be in a venue that is playing classical or jazz LOL!

Nancy

Edited by NLH Arizona

Jazz trio has worked well in the Ensemble lounge and corner of Passport Bar, also piano bar performer always popular

Island Band works well poolside , deck parties and aft bar area for Carib itins

Jimmy Buffet type guitarist also great poolside and aft bar in Carib

Latin bands are also fun ..Royal C has featured some great groups..

classical guitar works well at Cafe baccio in the afternoon during coffee and tea time..

classical group or harp perfect for fornal night dining and elegant tea

party band, dj, techno (not rap) good for parties, bars, discos and a turn at the pool

Gee...that, s what Celebrity used to offer til they went off the rails with recorded music!

Still have hope,

We will however not pack ear plugs so we can tolerate our cruise...and we will judge with our own ears not a decibel meter. Have walked out of many nice shows in theater because of volume too loud....but that's another issue altogether,

John, it has been a pleasure discussing this with you. I think we both agree that all types of music should be played in the appropriate venues.

If we are ever on a cruise together, I would be honored to buy you a drink, but just keep in mind, it probably won't be in a venue that is playing classical or jazz LOL!

Nancy

Hi Nancy

Well the drinks on me :-) but I have been know to dance along with the "stones" in my wilder young days , although Mick Jagger could not sing , I like most kinds of music and enjoy it all , from opera to madonna from fado (a true delight to hear Cristina Branco in her live concert singing some of the songs of Amalia Rodrigues) to Rule Britannia sung at the Albert Hall by the crowd , The early days of Georgie Fame and the Blue Lights before they changed their name to the blue flames

To the brandenberg concerto's to Vera Lynne to the wonderful love songs of David and Marrianne Dalmour and take five by Dave Brubeck ..Judith Durham of the Seekers after Morningtown ride and Georgey girl sang a wonderful rendition of "my heat belongs to daddy"

I have a few things that I dont like you might be surprised .. but perhaps we can chat about that over that drink , what say a bottle of Krug overlooking the ocean on a sea day ???

No Music Calms the savage breast .. you never know....

regards

John

Hi Nancy

Well the drinks on me :-) but I have been know to dance along with the "stones" in my wilder young days , although Mick Jagger could not sing , I like most kinds of music and enjoy it all , from opera to madonna from fado (a true delight to hear Cristina Branco in her live concert singing some of the songs of Amalia Rodrigues) to Rule Britannia sung at the Albert Hall by the crowd , The early days of Georgie Fame and the Blue Lights before they changed their name to the blue flames

To the brandenberg concerto's to Vera Lynne to the wonderful love songs of David and Marrianne Dalmour and take five by Dave Brubeck ..Judith Durham of the Seekers after Morningtown ride and Georgey girl sang a wonderful rendition of "my heat belongs to daddy"

I have a few things that I dont like you might be surprised .. but perhaps we can chat about that over that drink , what say a bottle of Krug overlooking the ocean on a sea day ???

No Music Calms the savage breast .. you never know....

regards

John

John, it is a deal. I'll look for you on the roll calls.

Nancy

On March 11, Celebrity Cruises official poster to these boards reported that they were adjusting the music on all their ships and it would take a few days. This was in response to all the complaints about the loud music.

and I have printed that thread off and plan to take the printout on my next X cruise (just in case) as my experiences in the past made me an "Official" head case complainer.

I have not cruised since the March fix.

Just when I thought it was safe to go back in the water...our final payment is due this month and I'm back in the "what do we do" camp. I thought this had been resolved!

Celebrity, PLEASE tell us what the new policy is! Soon!

• 2 months later...

Just got back from our "Inside Passage to Alaska" cruise on the Solstice (8/15-8/22/2014) and found the LOUD MUSIC everywhere. From morning to night it was one continuous din. We enjoy a party as much as the next person, but the overwhelming, pulsating, pounding, driving, loud bar music made for a very unpleasant trip. I'm not elderly, not really even old but felt as if we couldn't escape the noise anywhere other than our cabin. We felt like prisoners being "musicboarded". Even in areas of the ship where you'd expect quiet, the music was over-loud, Persian Gardens (irritatingly loud screechy vocals as well the thumping music from the fitness center next door), the Solarium Pool, blasting instrumentals (here at least they willingly would turn down the volume to a reasonable level if asked), The Atrium area (the volume of music was so loud that you couldn't speak to the person standing next to you without shouting. Amazingly this is also an area where passengers and staff conduct business and having to shout to be heard means having to announce your business to everyone around.). Yes, I understand that Celebrity is trying to create a "party atmosphere" however, how is it enjoyable when one is assaulted by the music? Imagine waiting outside The Grand Epernay Dining Room for the doors to open, you and several hundred others crowded into a small area with thumping bar music playing so loud that all you can do is stand and listen since there is no conversation possible, not pleasant.). Or how about the elderly female passenger outside Celebrity Central theater who repeatedly tried to get help from a staff member as she was becoming ill and needed to be assisted to a restroom but had to resort to yelling for help as the music was so loud that she could not be heard until it was too late. Not pleasant for her I'm sure. I also understand that "too loud" is a matter of opinion so others may disagree. We are not looking for a "snooze cruise" but an experience where music is appropriate to the venue in which it is located. A 15 deck open atrium that has the library, card room and ILounge backing onto it, insanely loud, thumping, pumping music is not the answer. As other posters have noted, many obvious music venues where under-utilized (Sky Lounge, Quasar, Cellar Masters) and these areas sat empty most evenings or were used for table tennis (Quasar). In the Sky Lounge and Quasar, I expect dance or techno music and welcome it and will likely participate as the mood strikes me. If I choose not to be a part of the music activities, then my choice offends no one and I can move to an area of the ship where I can relax with a book, have a quiet drink, socialize with friends and recharge and re-energize myself in my own way. Let ME choose when to be part of the party. Celebrity has made a serious mistake in their marketing and I can't help but think it will turn away more of us than attract.

Edited by Caroniaguy

Just got back from our "Inside Passage to Alaska" cruise on the Solstice (8/15-8/22/2014) and found the LOUD MUSIC everywhere. From morning to night it was one continuous din. We enjoy a party as much as the next person, but the overwhelming, pulsating, pounding, driving, loud bar music made for a very unpleasant trip. I'm not elderly, not really even old but felt as if we couldn't escape the noise anywhere other than our cabin. We felt like prisoners being "musicboarded". Even in areas of the ship where you'd expect quiet, the music was over-loud, Persian Gardens (irritatingly loud screechy vocals as well the thumping music from the fitness center next door), the Solarium Pool, blasting instrumentals (here at least they willingly would turn down the volume to a reasonable level if asked), The Atrium area (the volume of music was so loud that you couldn't speak to the person standing next to you without shouting. Amazingly this is also an area where passengers and staff conduct business and having to shout to be heard means having to announce your business to everyone around.). Yes, I understand that Celebrity is trying to create a "party atmosphere" however, how is it enjoyable when one is assaulted by the music? Imagine waiting outside The Grand Epernay Dining Room for the doors to open, you and several hundred others crowded into a small area with thumping bar music playing so loud that all you can do is stand and listen since there is no conversation possible, not pleasant.). Or how about the elderly female passenger outside Celebrity Central theater who repeatedly tried to get help from a staff member as she was becoming ill and needed to be assisted to a restroom but had to resort to yelling for help as the music was so loud that she could not be heard until it was too late. Not pleasant for her I'm sure. I also understand that "too loud" is a matter of opinion so others may disagree. We are not looking for a "snooze cruise" but an experience where music is appropriate to the venue in which it is located. A 15 deck open atrium that has the library, card room and ILounge backing onto it, insanely loud, thumping, pumping music is not the answer. As other posters have noted, many obvious music venues where under-utilized (Sky Lounge, Quasar, Cellar Masters) and these areas sat empty most evenings or were used for table tennis (Quasar). In the Sky Lounge and Quasar, I expect dance or techno music and welcome it and will likely participate as the mood strikes me. If I choose not to be a part of the music activities, then my choice offends no one and I can move to an area of the ship where I can relax with a book, have a quiet drink, socialize with friends and recharge and re-energize myself in my own way. Let ME choose when to be part of the party. Celebrity has made a serious mistake in their marketing and I can't help but think it will turn away more of us than attract.

Wow! Sounds dreadful! If it's this bad I expect the board will be flooded with similar reports. Everyone brace yourselves...

Edited by wpgcycler

Here we go again... those who had no issue were lucky or maybe on quieter ships/itins.

we experienced loud music issues on two sep Slho cruises but switched to Royal for our most recent cruise..,,so we have no first hand recent experience

However, our past experience fell into two categories. First time it was

very loud techo and wierd music played very on a repetitive loop throughout the ship... same songs all cruise long...It started quite early at the outdoor pool area and pool mgr refused to lower it .We had to move along with many others as a result...also played at Cafe Baccio, ruining afternoon stop there...drowned out the guitar player til someone lowered it...

On this cruise, they had a great DJ on bd playing in the main floor club, upstairs club, pool etc, He had a great variety of non offensuve musuc and even hosted some special events....bob marley, beatles, techno, salsa, oldies, sinatra...something to appeal to a variety of tastes

next cruise some time later, same ship, as we stepped on bd we were greeted or aurally assaulted by a rap DJ with a banging drummer....they used them alot around the ship and in the atrium...that was truly awful...safe spot was usually the aft bar or wherever we could escape the dreadful sounds and drumming,,,

the acoustics of the atrium are not good for loud music,.,..we thought this was solved by placing dj in martini bar area and toning things down as needed elsewhere...with nice clubs and discos..there are plenty of spaces for djs and loud volume... recent reviews have seemed more positive about the variety and volume if music on bd...so very surprised this is re-emerging, we'll be on Reflection soon and look forward to seeing the changes in tone and volume first hand,..,

They didn't mind the music on the previous sailing:confused: Different opinions I guess:D Solstice has been sailing Alaska since May (I think) and the OP is the first to complain about the music.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showpost.php?p=43791581&postcount=1

Edited by Christine Frances

We have experienced both. Loud, oppressive and inappropriate music and music much more in tune with venue and time. It appears to be less of a problem now and it did vary a bit by ship and itinerary. But it DID happen.

But it is frustrating to read the posts of some who have the extensive experience of one or two short cruises in the Caribbean pooh-poohing those who appear to have legitimate complaints.

I'm worried.

We haven't cruised lately due to me having surgeries.

Reading the boards makes me think Celebrity is giving me less of everything but more music.

Please posters, write about the volume on Celebrity ships. The music on Equinox felt like the ship was vibrating through 15 levels around the atrium.

Our last cruise on Eclipse was a year ago. The music was not bothersome because we had a cabin at the front of the ship and avoided the atrium.

The atrium/grand foyer area has the martini bar, passport bar, coffee shop, bistro on 5, library, guest services, computers, and main elevators. When the volume is up, it's hard to get another place to relax.

How is the music in the solarium, the open pool deck, and in the buffet?

I'm anxious to cruise again, but a bit anxious about cruising on a Celebrity ship.

-Marisa

I'm worried.

We haven't cruised lately due to me having surgeries.

Reading the boards makes me think Celebrity is giving me less of everything but more music.

Please posters, write about the volume on Celebrity ships. The music on Equinox felt like the ship was vibrating through 15 levels around the atrium.

Our last cruise on Eclipse was a year ago. The music was not bothersome because we had a cabin at the front of the ship and avoided the atrium.

The atrium/grand foyer area has the martini bar, passport bar, coffee shop, bistro on 5, library, guest services, computers, and main elevators. When the volume is up, it's hard to get another place to relax.

How is the music in the solarium, the open pool deck, and in the buffet?

I'm anxious to cruise again, but a bit anxious about cruising on a Celebrity ship.

-Marisa

I personally wouldn't go on Celebrity if you are anxious about cruising with them. The one thing you don't want, is to get on a ship and hear the music and be disappointed. I could suggest Crystal, as they really don't play a lot of music other than during the entertainment.

I don't find it ironic at all. If she was completely satisfied with Princess, she would not be looking to switch.

And MUTS is at the pool, right? It's not in the middle of the ship, indoors, where there is no escaping it.

You are being presumptuous. I select cruises based on itinerary and timing. I prefer NCL but got Celebrity this time. One can be perfectly satisfied with their favorite cruise line but still use others. Not everyone has a love affair with Celebrity.

And with MUTS, there are plenty of places to get away from it. It isn't that loud and the sound system is pretty sophisticated to compensate for wind, etc.

I personally wouldn't go on Celebrity if you are anxious about cruising with them. The one thing you don't want, is to get on a ship and hear the music and be disappointed. I could suggest Crystal, as they really don't play a lot of music other than during the entertainment.

Are there reasons you suggest Crystal other than not playing "a lot of music"?

My concern is the volume of the music that is played not that music is played.

I thought Crystal allowed smoking in more areas than Celebrity.

Have you cruised on Crystal?

-Marisa

Are there reasons you suggest Crystal other than not playing "a lot of music"?

My concern is the volume of the music that is played not that music is played.

I thought Crystal allowed smoking in more areas than Celebrity.

Have you cruised on Crystal?

-Marisa

Fantastic food, exceptional service; they are truly a luxury line.

Never heard any loud music on Crystal.

I believe the only indoor smoking venue is the Connoisseur Club, there are some outdoor smoking areas, although it has never bothered me, and you can not smoke in the cabins or verandas. Can't remember if you can smoke in the casino, if there was smoking, I didn't notice.

Yes, I've done many cruises on Crystal and they are top notch. I can suggest the Panama Canal cruise with them, I've done it twice. Their Alaska cruise is super. Done Europe a number of times with the...their Norway cruises is fantastic. I cruise on three different lines and am looking into a couple on Crystal for 2016.

Someone had said that the decibel measuring aps on phones are not reliable and he was a sound person.

It depends on who you ask whether there is a problem. On one cruise a passenger came back reporting ear splitting music, while another passenger on the same cruise said there were no issues. So who is right and who is wrong; neither they just have different tastes and opinions. Yes, Celebrity did say that they would look into the music volume and you are correct, they said they would adjust it if there was a problem. Every review that I've read recently said that the Martini bar was packed and almost impossible to get a seat, so something must be right. You are just taking what people are saying as gospel, I would suggest you take a Celebrity cruise and judge for yourself.

Celebrity has said over and over again that they are not trying to attract a certain demographic; that is something I believe was started on here. I think Celebrity is trying to give us, a more up-to-date, upbeat experience, something I'm all for. I for one don't want there to be no music or to listen to easy listening music or a string quartet all day nor do I want to strain to hear music. I would like to hear the music of today, as well as music of yester years.

Like I said, instead of listening to all the negatives and positives about the loudness of the music, take a cruise and judge for yourself, because that is the only way you will know if it is right or wrong for you.

Not true!! At the CC party on the Reflection in February the CD said directly and unambiguously to me that the music was loud, and would remain loud, as they were trying to attract a 30 something, young professional demographic. He then went on to say that if we did not like it, then maybe Celebrity was no longer the right cruise line for us! Several people who were present subsequently confirmed on these boards that that is precisely what he said.

Not true!! At the CC party on the Reflection in February the CD said directly and unambiguously to me that the music was loud, and would remain loud, as they were trying to attract a 30 something, young professional demographic. He then went on to say that if we did not like it, then maybe Celebrity was no longer the right cruise line for us! Several people who were present subsequently confirmed on these boards that that is precisely what he said.
Celebrity has come on Cruise Critic and said they were not looking for a certain age demographic, but looking for a more fun experience. I guess one (including staff on board) can construe their statement anyway they want. As others have said on here, I think that some onboard staff will either agree with a passenger or tell them what they think they want to hear, which might not necessarily be what corporate intends. Edited by NLH Arizona

I imagine that one's idea of 'fun' may differ from anothers. When its as subjective as that I imagine that it might need to be tempered.

I recently asked this exact question since I was planning, after some time away from this line, to take a new Celebrtiy cruise and was told the issue was 'resolved'.

But that it could change instantly, depending. And that struck me as a lack of reliable consistency, which unfortunately has been a pattern, but a chance I was willing to take, one more/one last time.

I think people, and specifically cruisers on vacation adore having fun, but there is some confusion in my mind about what I cosnider overbearing and invasive music unilaterally equating to passenger enjoyment.

Especially when so many provide feedback that its not 'fun' for them. Me included.