Mitsugirlys graduation getaway cruise

mitsugirly

Hi Kim, I'm currently researching my next cruise and am looking into the Getaway. I came to CC to check out the reviews. As I'm getting ready to start searching, I think to myself, it would really be great if mitsugirly would have gone on the Getaway and posted a review. I take a stab in the dark and do a search on "mitsugirly" and BAM there you are with a review of the Getaway. I hear horns blowing and angels singing....YES! A review from Kim!!

Fantastic as usual! I just got back from my NCL Pride of America to Hawaii and am starting to panic that I don't have one in the pipeline. I told my husband that I want my next cruise to be on one of those MacDaddy ships and we want to go to the Eastern Caribbean.

I actually took notes as I was reading your review!

Thanks again!

PS....Pride of America definitely needs to be on your bucket list. Wow! Wow! and WOW! It was absolutely fabulous. We had an awesome time. This was our 25th wedding anniversary present.

Hi Kim, I'm currently researching my next cruise and am looking into the Getaway. I came to CC to check out the reviews. As I'm getting ready to start searching, I think to myself, it would really be great if mitsugirly would have gone on the Getaway and posted a review. I take a stab in the dark and do a search on "mitsugirly" and BAM there you are with a review of the Getaway. I hear horns blowing and angels singing....YES! A review from Kim!!

Fantastic as usual! I just got back from my NCL Pride of America to Hawaii and am starting to panic that I don't have one in the pipeline. I told my husband that I want my next cruise to be on one of those MacDaddy ships and we want to go to the Eastern Caribbean.

I actually took notes as I was reading your review!

Thanks again!

PS....Pride of America definitely needs to be on your bucket list. Wow! Wow! and WOW! It was absolutely fabulous. We had an awesome time. This was our 25th wedding anniversary present.

Wow, I'm honored that you did a search to find me and my review. Thanks so much (I was kinda giggling like a kid as I read this too :D).

If you have any questions, please let me know and if I can help, I'll try.

I would love to go to Hawaii some day and it will be on my bucket list as well. However, the air flight and the $$ involved in the cruise as well will keep me away for awhile. I do have my first Bermuda cruise booked (even though it's kinda more expensive than the Caribbean), but I decided to bite the bullet when they offered the kids sail free. :)

So now, I will have 3 new reviews to do (2 in November on the Sun and the Sky) and next May on the Dawn. :p

Thanks again for your comments. I really appreciate it.

Wow, I'm honored that you did a search to find me and my review. Thanks so much (I was kinda giggling like a kid as I read this too :D).

If you have any questions, please let me know and if I can help, I'll try.

I would love to go to Hawaii some day and it will be on my bucket list as well. However, the air flight and the $$ involved in the cruise as well will keep me away for awhile. I do have my first Bermuda cruise booked (even though it's kinda more expensive than the Caribbean), but I decided to bite the bullet when they offered the kids sail free. :)

So now, I will have 3 new reviews to do (2 in November on the Sun and the Sky) and next May on the Dawn. :p

Thanks again for your comments. I really appreciate it.

Bermuda is also on my bucket list but, just as you said, so many choices and not enough time or money! I will be torn on which ship to take to Bermuda. Aren't there 3 or 4 sea days for Bermuda? I think you would get a good bit of ship acquaintance time if you would go on a big girl! I've read some reviews on Bermuda (both of Kev's RIP) and he mentioned the sea glass beach. That really does sound interesting. We did some sea glass searching in Hawaii but didn't take anything we found on the beaches there. Hawaii is deep in folklore and they say you will have bad luck if taking anything from the beaches. I didn't want any bad ju-ju...LOL!

The Hawiaan cruise, without a doubt, is all about HAWAII! You spend so little time on the ship. You don't ever get that intimate feeling about the ship. It's go, go and GO!!! Phew! INTENSE itinerary! Quite a few of our friends have gone to Hawaii via a land vacation, and we, by far, got to see so much more than they did. Pearl Harbor was worth the entire trip. It was awesome...very thought-provoking and sobering.

After all your comments about the Epic, I may have to go do some research on on her and her itinerary. I did read your review on the Epic.

Have a great weekend!

Bermuda is also on my bucket list but, just as you said, so many choices and not enough time or money! I will be torn on which ship to take to Bermuda. Aren't there 3 or 4 sea days for Bermuda? I think you would get a good bit of ship acquaintance time if you would go on a big girl! I've read some reviews on Bermuda (both of Kev's RIP) and he mentioned the sea glass beach. That really does sound interesting. We did some sea glass searching in Hawaii but didn't take anything we found on the beaches there. Hawaii is deep in folklore and they say you will have bad luck if taking anything from the beaches. I didn't want any bad ju-ju...LOL!

The Hawiaan cruise, without a doubt, is all about HAWAII! You spend so little time on the ship. You don't ever get that intimate feeling about the ship. It's go, go and GO!!! Phew! INTENSE itinerary! Quite a few of our friends have gone to Hawaii via a land vacation, and we, by far, got to see so much more than they did. Pearl Harbor was worth the entire trip. It was awesome...very thought-provoking and sobering.

After all your comments about the Epic, I may have to go do some research on on her and her itinerary. I did read your review on the Epic.

Have a great weekend!

Yes, there is 1 sea day getting there and then 2 sea days coming back. But, that's just about the same as with any 7 day cruise and 3 ports. I just personally can't justify the extra money to go on the Breakaway at this point, but maybe some day. I'll have to see if I get hooked on Bermuda like some of the others around here that love the place. I know I'm super excited to be able to dock somewhere and actually STAY there, like a floating hotel, and to be able to come and go when you want and no time frames to get back to the ship=awesome!! :D

We really loved the Epic. I know there's a lot of people that don't. It seems like one of those ships that either you love it or hate it. We had a blast on her and would love to sail her again some day. The entertainment was completely awesome and we also loved out 2 studio connecting cabins we had. I know a lot of people had issues with staying in the "wave" rooms and the glass doors. But with us, that wouldn't be an issue either. :)

• 3 weeks later...

Congrats on finishing nursing school and good luck on taking your boards. I just graduated in May from Community Health Education, so I now all the pressures you been through going to school, working and taking care of a family. I'm also a member of the 40-40 club.:) and it's not easy.

This was a great review as all your reviews are, and of course I love all your pics. You have a beautiful family and Sakari is getting so big. Even though you had a few mishaps in the beginning. I'm glad y'all enjoy the cruise.

I never heard of Mullet bay when I went to St. Maarten and Blue Lagoon in Nassau, so I'm so glad you did a review on these places. I always wanted to try snorkeling. I'm just going to have the buy the equipment and go for it. Hopefully, I will not embarrass myself.:o

Edited by Chelleum

Congrats on finishing nursing school and good luck on taking your boards. I just graduated in May from Community Health Education, so I now all the pressures you been through going to school, working and taking care of a family. I'm also a member of the 40-40 club.:) and it's not easy.

This was a great review as all your reviews are, and of course I love all your pics. You have a beautiful family and Sakari is getting so big. Even though you had a few mishaps in the beginning. I'm glad y'all enjoy the cruise.

I never heard of Mullet bay when I went to St. Maarten and Blue Lagoon in Nassau, so I'm so glad you did a review on these places. I always wanted to try snorkeling. I'm just going to have the buy the equipment and go for it. Hopefully, I will not embarrass myself.:o

Thanks. Nursing school was the hardest thing I have ever done and took forever. But I'm glad it's over with. Congrats on your graduation as well! What's the 40-40 club? I haven't heard that term before. lol

Snorkeling is so easy (even a 3 year old can do it :p well at least that's when she started). Really snorkeling is about floating (which is super easy to do because in seawater, you have more buoyancy, than in regular water like at a pool or lake). Most people just want to swim along, kicking their flippers and looking. But really, if you just float, you'll see things that most don't. Things will come out of coral and rocks that are normally hiding when you are swimming by. :) Just go out and float and pay close attention and it's a lot of fun. I purchased our entire snorkeling kits back in 2011 after (our) second cruise because I knew I was going to be hooked. I must say it's one of the best investments I have made for cruising and I have definitely got my use out of them. :D

Our next cruise...Sakari has grown like a week and I just know she has grown a few inches but now, she has lost 4 teeth and 2 of them being (of course) her cute little upper front teeth that looked like Chiclets. Man I'm going to miss those cute little teeth when the massive child bunny teeth come in looking bigger than her face. You know that stage they go through. It should make for some interesting pictures next time around. :p

Thanks. Nursing school was the hardest thing I have ever done and took forever. But I'm glad it's over with. Congrats on your graduation as well! What's the 40-40 club? I haven't heard that term before. lol

Snorkeling is so easy (even a 3 year old can do it :p well at least that's when she started). Really snorkeling is about floating (which is super easy to do because in seawater, you have more buoyancy, than in regular water like at a pool or lake). Most people just want to swim along, kicking their flippers and looking. But really, if you just float, you'll see things that most don't. Things will come out of coral and rocks that are normally hiding when you are swimming by. :) Just go out and float and pay close attention and it's a lot of fun. I purchased our entire snorkeling kits back in 2011 after (our) second cruise because I knew I was going to be hooked. I must say it's one of the best investments I have made for cruising and I have definitely got my use out of them. :D

Our next cruise...Sakari has grown like a week and I just know she has grown a few inches but now, she has lost 4 teeth and 2 of them being (of course) her cute little upper front teeth that looked like Chiclets. Man I'm going to miss those cute little teeth when the massive child bunny teeth come in looking bigger than her face. You know that stage they go through. It should make for some interesting pictures next time around. :p

Thanks, for the snorkeling tips. I really thought you had to swim more than float. I'm going to Target to pick up my equipment before my next cruise.

Lol!! The term member of the 40/40 club, is a way of saying I'm in my 40`s. I live in NYC, and there is a club here call "The 40-40 Club" so when me and my 2 co workers turned 40 in the same year. We made a joke about now we are members of the 40/40 club.:)

Sent from my LGMS659 using Forums mobile app

Hey Mitsugirly, I remember your Carnival Dream review and loved it. Glad I decided to venture over to NCL reviews and read some, and that's where I found you. I cannot believe you guys missed your flight. I would have been so upset...I can see you giving your daughter the "look" right now. I'm going to finish reading your review, so thanks for sharing this with us.

Thanks, for the snorkeling tips. I really thought you had to swim more than float. I'm going to Target to pick up my equipment before my next cruise.

Lol!! The term member of the 40/40 club, is a way of saying I'm in my 40`s. I live in NYC, and there is a club here call "The 40-40 Club" so when me and my 2 co workers turned 40 in the same year. We made a joke about now we are members of the 40/40 club.

Sent from my LGMS659 using Forums mobile app

Well, don't get me wrong, there is swimming involved...just saying that it's more of a float type of thing if you really want to see things. You do have to kick with your flippers and stuff to get to where you're going or to get away from areas that may be shallow and coral too close to the waters edge (you have to remember that it is the ocean and there are waves pushing you). :D

If you want to buy a good set that comes in a kit, you can find them online (which is what I did) and they come in a smaller sized fins (not the HUGE fins you normally think of when snorkeling). They are a wonderful travel size and do a GREAT job and are made to help you with the swimming and speed too. I bought a US Divers set that included everything and it even comes in a zip up case to keep everything together. It also takes up less space in your luggage.

This is the one I got:

51ZLVy8mMqL.jpg

My husband got it in the Gray. They have held up pretty good over the years and I take them EVERYWHERE we go whether there's supposed to be snorkeling or not. I have found things where there's no snorkeling that I have never seen before in the water.

I have managed to "add" to my snorkeling kit over the years. One of the best investments I purchased was a set of snorkel socks. They are wonderful and keep you from getting any rubs or blisters and also great because you don't get the sand in your feet when trying to put on your flippers in the water. Then when you are done snorkeling, take the fins off and you can walk in the socks without hurting your feet. :)

Funny how when you said something about the 40/40 club I actually googled it and did see the club you were talking about and figured that wasn't what you meant and there had to be some type of "meaning" behind it. LOL

Hey Mitsugirly, I remember your Carnival Dream review and loved it. Glad I decided to venture over to NCL reviews and read some, and that's where I found you. I cannot believe you guys missed your flight. I would have been so upset...I can see you giving your daughter the "look" right now. I'm going to finish reading your review, so thanks for sharing this with us.

Oh she got the "look" alright. But I guess I was really more upset after finding out that we had missed the flight and thinking that we would have to purchase additional tickets. I had NO idea that if you miss your flight they just accommodate you on another available flight. Yes, it was a hassle, but we made it there. We really didn't have any plans to go anywhere or do anything once we arrived at the hotel, so I didn't stress "too bad". :p Now that I know we will still eventually get to where we are going, I definitely won't stress as much next time around.

Just to let you know...my daughter and the same crew PLUS 1 more will be going on 1 of my back to belly :p cruises in November. I managed to book Kendra's flights AFTER noon instead of in the morning. She has all morning to fret over things before getting to the airport and the best thing is....drum roll....I will already be in Florida coming back from my first cruise and they will be on their own flying down. No worries for me. :D

Hi Kim,

Thanks for the review. I've enjoyed reading it so far (only on page 10!). What are the slotplay coupons that you mention?

Thanks.

Glad to have you and glad you are enjoying it so far.

No need to worry about the Slot Play coupons now. They are a thing of the past. :(

Well, don't get me wrong, there is swimming involved...just saying that it's more of a float type of thing if you really want to see things. You do have to kick with your flippers and stuff to get to where you're going or to get away from areas that may be shallow and coral too close to the waters edge (you have to remember that it is the ocean and there are waves pushing you). :D

If you want to buy a good set that comes in a kit, you can find them online (which is what I did) and they come in a smaller sized fins (not the HUGE fins you normally think of when snorkeling). They are a wonderful travel size and do a GREAT job and are made to help you with the swimming and speed too. I bought a US Divers set that included everything and it even comes in a zip up case to keep everything together. It also takes up less space in your luggage.

This is the one I got:

51ZLVy8mMqL.jpg

My husband got it in the Gray. They have held up pretty good over the years and I take them EVERYWHERE we go whether there's supposed to be snorkeling or not. I have found things where there's no snorkeling that I have never seen before in the water.

I have managed to "add" to my snorkeling kit over the years. One of the best investments I purchased was a set of snorkel socks. They are wonderful and keep you from getting any rubs or blisters and also great because you don't get the sand in your feet when trying to put on your flippers in the water. Then when you are done snorkeling, take the fins off and you can walk in the socks without hurting your feet. :)

Thanks, again for the snorkeling tips. I did see that kit online but I wasn't sure about it. Now I know it's the right kit, and I will look for the socks too.

Edited by Chelleum

Thanks, again for the snorkeling tips. I did see that kit online but I wasn't sure about it. Now I know it's the right kit, and I will look for the socks too.

You're very welcome. I know a lot of people on these boards recommend going to your local dive shop to get properly fitted for a mask, which I tried, but I'm sorry, they are just too darn expensive for me. Buying my kit online proved to be just as good and well worth the small investment I made in them. I did go to the dive shop to buy the socks because I had no idea what they were and what to look for. But they weren't that expensive.

Happy snorkeling. 🐠🐟

Thanks for such a great review. Do you know if Mullet Bay has watersport rentals like paddle boards,kayaks,boggie boards and floating mats?

I don't recall seeing anyone on any of these there. I'm pretty sure they don't (but could be wrong). I mean this is kind of a place that isn't overcome by all the amenities you find at other beaches where tourist would go. From what I understand, this beach is the beach a lot of locals go to. But maybe someone else out there will know. They just had the little snack/food shack there and the guys on the beach that rented the chairs and umbrellas. They don't even have a restroom...just an outhouse. :)

I don't recall seeing anyone on any of these there. I'm pretty sure they don't (but could be wrong). I mean this is kind of a place that isn't overcome by all the amenities you find at other beaches where tourist would go. From what I understand, this beach is the beach a lot of locals go to. But maybe someone else out there will know. They just had the little snack/food shack there and the guys on the beach that rented the chairs and umbrellas. They don't even have a restroom...just an outhouse. :)

I've been researching this beach and haven't seen anything like that either but I thought Id ask you because you do such a great job of researching places. My family and I are going on the Getaway next month and I was undecided on Blue Lagoon in Nassau but after reading your review we are now booked :) Thanks again for all your wonderful reviews.

I've been researching this beach and haven't seen anything like that either but I thought Id ask you because you do such a great job of researching places. My family and I are going on the Getaway next month and I was undecided on Blue Lagoon in Nassau but after reading your review we are now booked :) Thanks again for all your wonderful reviews.

I do a lot of researching prior to going to a place (and try to keep my eyes peeled while I'm there), but I have to admit, if something is there that we either don't do/like or doesn't pertain to us, I have a bad habit of not paying attention to it (for instance snorkeling and prices at various places...since we have our own equipment, I vary rarely pay attention to see if they have rental and pricing and so on). I guess I should work on that portion of my reviews in the future. :D

I hope you have a wonderful time at Blue Lagoon. We are actually considering it again for November if we don't find something new to do. I like to try new things and places, but the kids loved BL so much. We'll see if I can talk them into something else this time around. I'm thinking Melia. :p

Wow! What a great, detailed review! Thank you so much for taking the time to post all this great information!

Just wondering, is your daughter Sakari on a Kohls TV advertisement? I saw a "back to school" ad on TV this morning, and kept backing up the tv to try to tell if that was her?

Wow! What a great, detailed review! Thank you so much for taking the time to post all this great information!

Just wondering, is your daughter Sakari on a Kohls TV advertisement? I saw a "back to school" ad on TV this morning, and kept backing up the tv to try to tell if that was her?

Thanks so much for taking the time to read my review. Glad you liked it.

Nope, Sakari isn't in a commercial but I just had to go try to find the one you might be referring to.

Is it this one?

Thanks so much for taking the time to read my review. Glad you liked it.

Nope, Sakari isn't in a commercial but I just had to go try to find the one you might be referring to.

Is it this one?

Yep! That is the little girl that I thought was Sakari! Thought you might have put her to work to pay for her upcoming cruise fares!!

Thank you so much for posting this awesome review!! Not only did it keep me entertained at work all day, but really helped me make some decisions about my upcoming cruise on the Getaway. Im going in 36 days!!! I was having trouble deciding what to do in ST Maartin, and you did one of my options. Completely sold on going to Mullet Bay and Maho via the "bus". And I was worried about the buffet food, but it all looks good! I can't wait! Thank you!

Yep! That is the little girl that I thought was Sakari! Thought you might have put her to work to pay for her upcoming cruise fares!!

Trust me, it has definitely been a thought of mine. :D She loves being in front of the camera! :p

Thank you so much for posting this awesome review!! Not only did it keep me entertained at work all day, but really helped me make some decisions about my upcoming cruise on the Getaway. Im going in 36 days!!! I was having trouble deciding what to do in ST Maartin, and you did one of my options. Completely sold on going to Mullet Bay and Maho via the "bus". And I was worried about the buffet food, but it all looks good! I can't wait! Thank you!

You are very welcome and glad you enjoyed the review. We loved Mullet and then doing Maho. It made for a very nice day.

Have a wonderful cruise! :)

• 1 month later...

Thanks for the great review of Blue Lagoon. I was linked here from another thread so I haven't read everything but did see the water toys that my kids are interested in. I need to read your reviews on St Thomas and St Martin. I thought I read somewhere that St Marten has the same type of water toys next to the beach near port. Do you know if that is true? It will take me awhile to read all of this as it is 39+ pages!! but I think I decided on Nassau excursion -blue lagoon!

I just started doing research for Maho beach and found this review! Yay, another Mitsugirly review! We switched over to RCCL because Norweigian doesn't sail out of places that are an easy drive (or not a horrible drive) during the months that we can sail now. Ft Lauderdale is far and Miami would just push it over the edge. I really wish Norwegian did summer cruises out of New Orleans, but oh, well.

I was wondering what beach to hit after Maho (we are in port from 10-7 so I figured we'd hit Maho first, then go hang somewhere else). Loved your review on Mullet Beach, and nice to know we can walk there, I was wondering about that. Sounds like that's what we'll do when we're in St Maartan. Although it's not until July so it's going to be a looooong wait!!

Now I need to read your entire review, I just skipped to the St Maartan stuff.

Michelle