Ship is being Moved to Another Line

cfgrandma

We are looking at a Northern Europe cruise for July 2015 on the Ryndam. The Ryndam will be transferred to P & O in November 2015.

Any thoughts on cruising on a ship that will be transferred a few months after our cruise?

It would not be my choice.

Depend on how you look at it. If you were HAL, and had the usual eye to your bottom line, which alternative would you pick?

-spend only what is absolutely necessary to keep the ship running in the knowledge that the ship has been sold and will be transferred within few months.

-keep spending the usual amounts to keep the ship to HAL's standard notwithstanding that the ship will be sold and transferred in several months and will then be headed to any extended dry dock.

I don't know the answer but I can guess.

Why would HAL jeopardize their reputation by putting out a ship that would turn people off? I wouldn't worry. Lots of ships on all the lines end up "leaving the fleet" at some point.

Depend on how you look at it. If you were HAL, and had the usual eye to your bottom line, which alternative would you pick?

-spend only what is absolutely necessary to keep the ship running in the knowledge that the ship has been sold and will be transferred within few months.

-keep spending the usual amounts to keep the ship to HAL's standard notwithstanding that the ship will be sold and transferred in several months and will then be headed to any extended dry dock.

The ship is being transferred within the Carnival Family of Ships.

HAL to P&O.

Why would they not keep it in decent condition?

All part of Carnival Corporation.

Yes, I can see what you are saying as it crossed my mind while composing my previous post.

I don't see HAL making any major upgrades but until the time the ship transfers it will be business as usual.

Yes, I can see what you are saying as it crossed my mind while composing my previous post.

I don't see HAL making any major upgrades but until the time the ship transfers it will be business as usual.

What major upgrades are any "S" or "R" Class ships getting?

Ryndam had a dry dock just this March or April (2014).

I wondered about this myself.

We had thought about rescheduling the Ryndam cruise that we missed this past February for March 2015. Now we are not so sure about that.

It is difficult to predict how HAL will deal with a major problem on that ship (or the Statendam) should something happen before the transfer takes place. I mention this because many years ago we were on the Cunard Princess before she was sold and the ship was in bad condition and not much was being done -- we were given keys to empty cabins near us if something went wrong in our own cabin -- not good.

I would book the cruise, with an eye out to canceling before final payment only if you read about something radically wrong.

The Ryndam is a lovely ship, and there's no reason to believe it will go downhill before it leaves the fleet. I would not expect HAL to put major $$$ into the ship before it leaves, but I would expect HAL to keep it up. I would also expect the usual attentive crew and little things like flowers.

I was on the final cruise of the ss Rotterdam, which was 38 years old at the time. It was very clear that the ship needed extensive work (read: money). But it was just as clear that it was a great cruise. I would not have missed it for the world.

If the Ryndam is doing a cruise you want to take---take it!

I would book the cruise, with an eye out to canceling before final payment only if you read about something radically wrong.

The Ryndam is a lovely ship, and there's no reason to believe it will go downhill before it leaves the fleet. I would not expect HAL to put major $$$ into the ship before it leaves, but I would expect HAL to keep it up. I would also expect the usual attentive crew and little things like flowers.

I was on the final cruise of the ss Rotterdam, which was 38 years old at the time. It was very clear that the ship needed extensive work (read: money). But it was just as clear that it was a great cruise. I would not have missed it for the world.

If the Ryndam is doing a cruise you want to take---take it!

Having been on SS Rotterdam's (and Monarch OTS) final seasons and QE2's final crossing (and penultimate voyage), I'm with you on this one. In fact I'm in the process of booking what I think will be Ryndam's final HAL voyage.

Roy