Eastern Med – 11 nts – prep required?

hirobmay

HI all, we all know a bit preparation can go a long way when organizing a holiday, more so for a cruise, so hopefully I can use some of the Cruise Critic members experience to help me.

This is our cruise. Its a ‘Cruise only’ so we have to fill in all the transport links ourselves.

http://www.celebritycruises.com/search/searchResultsVacationItinerary.do?packageid=RF11M104&dest=EUROP&shipCode=RF&sailDate=1140804&cabincls=I

Transport from Rome (FCO) >Landing in Rome a day ahead of embarkation to enjoy Rome for leisurely 24 hours.

What is the best what to get from Rome FCO airport to Termini airport?

I’ve heard the train is OK but expensive, and the bus is cheaper but unreliable?

Transport to Civitavecchia > Our Rome hotel is close to Termini station, so we plan to get the train to the port. I heard there’s a standard service and a fast train. Any preference on these services?

Civitavecchia to the ship > This looks like a 10 minute walk, with luggage, in hot sunshine. Am I right?

We’re a fairly heathy couple in our 40’s so I’m no frightened by the thought of a walk. Are there any free (or cheap) shuttle services? As ‘cruise only’ we’re not aware of any.

Check in > What’s the earliest time we should plan to check in at the dock?

On the ship > This will be our 3rd cruise. 1st was 4 nts with NCL, 2nd was 6 nts with Princess, now 11nts with ‘X’ so this is a proper amount of time. I’m assuming it will be similar routines and procedures.

Formal nights > I really want to find out what nights the formal nts will be? I can’t see them mentioned on any schedule yet and want to know as this will influence our specialty dining pre bookings.

Ports of call > As we both work full time, and this is our summer holiday primarily for R&R (and we love life on the ship) we are not ready yet to go on 10 hr tours. Our preferred way of seeing the ports of call is after breakfast, wander off on foot or maybe a shuttle to the nearest civilization, wander around a bit, take a few pix, wander back for lunch on ship catch some rays.

With this in mind, will this work for our ports of call, or am I seriously missing any ‘must see’ places?

Santorini >

Istanbul >

Ephesus (Kusadasi)>

Mykonos>

Athens> Done Athens last year so may stay on board.

Naples> maybe worth doing a proper tour here?

Civitavecchia to Rome (FCO)> any suggestions on getting back to the airport for a 15hrs00 flight to London? Time is not an issue? Is there any way that ‘X’ would let us stay on until about 11am, as we have plenty of time on the face of it?

Thanks for any help with these… I may have more soon. Any other exclusive info to help enjoy this Celebrity cruise to the max is much appreciated.

Rob.

Hi Rob, sounds like a fabulous itinerary:D:):D....and I know you said

you don't want to be touring 10 hours a day.....but honestly, have you

been to Ephesus before? If I was to book anything on that itinerary? It

would be there.....the place is simply amazing (In my opinion). I went

for the first time in May 2012 and it was all a WOW to me.....just

fantastic:D.......and it doesn't need to be 10 hours LOL......

I also was on a tour in Naples as well and yes, I was glad I went on one

but Ephesus (to me) would definitely be on the schedule.

Oh, you can walk around Santorini and Mykonos are your own...easy

peasy:)

I have never been to Istanbul but have heard it is fantastic too.

Hope you have a wonderful cruise!!!

I stayed in Rome pre-cruise too and the hotel I stayed in set up a private car

to pick me up at the airport. I was traveling solo and this was the best way

for me. It worked out great. It was more money than public transport but

it was worth it to me.

Edited by Lois R

We have done cruises from Rome several times. My advice is contact RomeCabs. They can provide any transport you need. I also suggest that you try and "hook up" on the boards with others on your cruise to plan some private tours in Ephesus, Naples (Pompeii and the Amalfi Coast) and Instanbul. Enjoy your day by having RomeCabs (or someone) transport you to the ship with stops along the way to visit some sites and have lunch.

There is so much great information here on CC that I'm sure if you use the Search function you can get lots of answers to your questions. I would strongly encourage you to go the Ports of Call/Europe pages and read what folks have to say about your ports.

We did this exact itinerary two years ago on the Equinox. Loved it!! If you click on the link in my signature you can see what excursions we did and the transportation options we used. I would highly recommend trying to connect with some folks on your Roll Call to do an Ephesus tour (seconding Lois R's great recommendation). I would also encourage you to do some research on Istanbul as there are so many great places to see and you will be there overnight.

I agree with Lois: if you do one tour make it to Ephesus! We saw the Terrace Houses and the Library and they were spectacular! Also, it was only a half day tour so we still had lots of time for relaxation.

We found Naples was a good city for just walking around, grabbing a coffee and a bite, and browsing some shops. But be careful as a pedestrian as the drivers are crazy. If you do decide to do a tour here Pompeii is also incredible, as are Sorrento and the Isle of Capri.

Enjoy your cruise!

Hi there, Here are some answers/suggestions:

Transport from Rome (FCO) >Landing in Rome a day ahead of embarkation to enjoy Rome for leisurely 24 hours.

What is the best what to get from Rome FCO airport to Termini airport?

I’ve heard the train is OK but expensive, and the bus is cheaper but unreliable? Train works fine, about an hour journey

Transport to Civitavecchia > Our Rome hotel is close to Termini station, so we plan to get the train to the port. I heard there’s a standard service and a fast train. Any preference on these services? If you have time, you might want to for to Termini and purchase your tickets, as the lines can be long. DO NOT buy at the self service and DO NOT let the characters wandering around "help you". Choose whichever train has the best time for you. You'll meet some fellow cruisers on the train...why else would anyone go to Civitavecchia!

Civitavecchia to the ship > This looks like a 10 minute walk, with luggage, in hot sunshine. Am I right? Yes, just turn right and follow the waterfront to the gate...easy! We're seniors and had no problem walking it. We’re a fairly heathy couple in our 40’s so I’m no frightened by the thought of a walk. Are there any free (or cheap) shuttle services? As ‘cruise only’ we’re not aware of any. Once you arrive at the gate, you just walk in, to the shuttle bus waiting there. Its free. Takes you right to the ship.

Check in > What’s the earliest time we should plan to check in at the dock? Usually you can board after 11:00 or so. Go up to the buffet for lunch. Cabins are usually available about 1:30. It will be announced.

On the ship > This will be our 3rd cruise. 1st was 4 nts with NCL, 2nd was 6 nts with Princess, now 11nts with ‘X’ so this is a proper amount of time. I’m assuming it will be similar routines and procedures.

Formal nights > I really want to find out what nights the formal nts will be? I can’t see them mentioned on any schedule yet and want to know as this will influence our specialty dining pre bookings. I believe there will be 3 formal nights. Sorry, don't know when, perhaps someone else will.

Ports of call > As we both work full time, and this is our summer holiday primarily for R&R (and we love life on the ship) we are not ready yet to go on 10 hr tours. Our preferred way of seeing the ports of call is after breakfast, wander off on foot or maybe a shuttle to the nearest civilization, wander around a bit, take a few pix, wander back for lunch on ship catch some rays.

With this in mind, will this work for our ports of call, or am I seriously missing any ‘must see’ places?

Santorini > Definitely, on your own. For a laugh, take the donkeys up!

Istanbul > You can do it on your own, but do some research...lots to see there...Blue mosque, Topkapi Palace, Grand Bazaar

Ephesus (Kusadasi)>This is a must!!! See if someone on your roll call has a private tour organized. If not, do a ship tour. Mykonos> Just walk off, perfect! Athens> Done Athens last year so may stay on board. If you feel like a walk, the port of Pireaus is o.k., or not! Naples> maybe worth doing a proper tour here? That depends on what you want to see, there's Capri, Amalfi Coast, Pompeii. Or you can walk off the ship, right in Naples. Its a "different" place from your other ports, very hectic!

Civitavecchia to Rome (FCO)> any suggestions on getting back to the airport for a 15hrs00 flight to London? Time is not an issue? Is there any way that ‘X’ would let us stay on until about 11am, as we have plenty of time on the face of it? Travel time by taxi/bus/private driver all require lots of extra time on the roads. Suggest you check your roll call to share transportation to the airport. Latest disembark is usually 9:30-10:00 Hope this helps. Enjoy your cruise! Annabelle :)

Thanks for any help with these… I may have more soon. Any other exclusive info to help enjoy this Celebrity cruise to the max is much appreciated.

Rob.

Sometimes Santorini has too many ships in the harbor and the lines for the cable car are really long. I am opposed to the cruel treatment of the donkeys and wouldn't want to take them up the steps. No thank you. Santorini is beautiful though and the "must see" place there is called "Casablanca"- which ironically is the only red house in Santorini. It's a hotel and has a lovely restaurant where I enjoyed a Greek Salad.

http://www.tripadvisor.com/Restaurant_Review-g189433-d1180683-Reviews-Casablanca_Lounge_Restaurant-Santorini_Cyclades.html

Ephesus is a must and the Terrace Houses are the best part.

If you are in Istanbul on a weekday, the traffic will be really bad. There is public transportation that I never tried. So can't comment on that. I did a tour and they flogged the Turkish carpets and we had little time to explore the Topkapi Palace, which is really lovely. The Blue Mosque is worth seeing but few people mention the Hagia Sophia which is between the Mosque and the Palace. This was not visited on our tour. I really recommend getting a private driver for the day. This way you can see everything at your own pace. The Mosque, Hagia Sophia and Topkapi Palace are all in the same place and the Grand Bazaar is a short drive from there. The Sisterns are also high on the list of sites. So if you could do these at your own pace- spring for a private tour because chances are you won't get back to Istanbul. It's truly fascinating and beautiful. If you are overnighting- you may want to do the dinner cruise along the Bosphoros.

http://www.tripadvisor.com/Attraction_Review-g293974-d294555-Reviews-Basilica_Cistern-Istanbul.html

In Naples- there is a half day tour of Herculaneum that we thoroughly enjoyed. The stop at the Cameo store at the end was a bit of a waste of time. We went in to watch the demonstration and then sat on the bus. This was the only thing I wish wasn't part of the tour but the ruins are really interesting. More so than Pompeii IMO. There were actual skeletons there.

http://www.tripadvisor.com/Attraction_Review-g187785-d195507-Reviews-Herculaneum_Ercolano-Naples_Province_of_Naples_Campania.html

Edited by rebeccalouiseagain

My thought

Ephesus worth the trip. Is only a half Day and ships tour was good with audio headsets

Naples gets a bad rap but is nice. The museum is interesting but Herculaneum is better than Pompeii and you can do it on your own. Quick cab ride, train trip and v short walk. We were done and on our way out before any ships tours arrived and there were 4 ships in port. Would recommend it and very good value

Istanbul, easy to do on your own and easy transport right into the centre via tram. Staff were v helpful. We did a long day but did blue mosque, Hagia Sophia, topkapi and the underground cistern plays the grand bazaar and my personal fav the spice market. All of these are in walking distance once you get there

I will address your ports of call,

Santorini >

I suggest taking an excursion of Santorini. This island is just wonderful. Make the most of your time there. We took a great excursion that included a winery and saw the entire island. The line getting up the escarpment on the cable car can be very long and the tendering can be a long ordeal, but on an excursion, you tender first.

Istanbul >

This is a wonderful city with lots to see. You can DTY the main sites of the Blue Mosque, Hippodrome, Hagia Sophia, Cistern and Topkapi Palace in one day, perhaps even go to the Grand Bazaar. You can purchase your tickets on lne in advance and buy an audio-guide for all the sites except the Blue Mosque, so you don't need a guide.

Ephesus (Kusadasi)>

Take a private tour or excursion of Kphesus that includes the Terrace Houses. They are a must see.

Mykonos>

DTY unless you want to see the ancient island of Delos. Recommend Delos and a ship's excursion.

Athens> Done Athens last year so may stay on board.

You may have done Athens, but what did you see? Did you see the new Acropolis Museum, the Archaeological Museum, or go to the Plaka. There are many other things to see in Athens that I haven't mentioned. Also, you could go to the the temple of Poseidon at Sounion. We did Athens on our own via the Metro. I would never stay on board and I have been to Athens three times.

Naples> maybe worth doing a proper tour here?

The only thing worth seeing in Naples is the Archaeological Museum, however, there is the Island of Capri, Pompeii or the Amalfi Coast. All, great choices. You might want to do the tour that combines Pompeii and the Amalfi Coast.

We are doing this trip too. We did the same last year and this is how we did it

1. got terrifies ion bus from airport to termini e euros booked on line. Easy

2. Stayed in hotel over the road to termini.

3. Got train tickets that day for the next day. 6 euros I think.

4. Got an early train 8.15am we were the only ones in the carriage.

5.had a short walk to port and caught the port shuttle to the ship.

6. For the return we used smart cruise tours 20 euros direct to the airport.

It was very simple to do and we are doing the same in June.

Happy cruising

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

There's some good advice already posted, but here's my take.

If you take the train from Rome to Civitaveccia allow plenty of time to reach the train, as it's a fair walk from the station entrance to the platform

Santorini: we have done it on our own (with the benefit of priority tender tickets, which made the funicular relatively easy) and also on a tour. We went to Oia on a ship's tour - this is the village with the iconic blue-roofed churches and the magnificent view of the ship in the caldera - and it was early in the morning before the crowds arrived, but you might like to check whatsinport dot com which will tell you what other ships will be in Santorini on the same day as you - this might help your decision.

Istanbul: plenty of history and with, I guess an overnight in port, it's worth going to look at some of the history. Haga Sofia is worth it and we also like the spice market. We did this with a local tour company which allowed us to set the pace and avoid having to wait for tour stragglers. We ate in Tuscan Grill on the night we were there and had a fabulous view of the city and the floodlit mosques and minarets.

Ephesus: definitely worth doing, but we went on a ship's tour and nearly had to endure the carpet demo before extracting ourselves to walk back to the ship - probably a good idea to get a private tour here and you might find a company prepared to offer you a deal for Istanbul and Ephesus.

Mykonos: a walk around the town (after using the Celebrity transfer - it's quite a long walk along busy roads with no pavements) is very pleasant, but Delos is interesting and doable on your own - check these boards or google for travel details.

Athens: as mentioned, the new Acropolis museum and the plaka are worth a look as well as the Panathenaic Stadium which is very impressive. The train is a good option in this port - tomscruiseports will give you details on reaching the station, but the last time we went we were in a different terminal which was a very long way from the station, so we ended up in a taxi (getting the train back)

Naples: Herculaneum is more manageable on your own (using the Circumvesuviana train) than Pompeii and better preserved (having been covered in mud rather than ash), but Naples is also fun. The older area (Spagna?) is worth a look, together with THE original pizza (pizzeria Trianon) which is like nothing you have tasted! Also, if you're interested in sculpture take a trip to Cappella Sansevero where you will find The Veiled Christ - guaranteed to take your breath away (if that's your thing). You need to keep your wits about you - but we love Naples!!! Organised tours here are likely to be long (Pompeii and/or the Amalfi coast) or a (shorter) city coach sightseeing tour which nay not show you what you want to see!

As far as disembarkation is concerned, you'll need at least an hour (depending on the day) from Civitaveccia to the airport + 2 hours for check in and security, but Celebrity will want you off the ship promptly so they can prepare for the next customers. You could try the train back to Rome and then to the airport, but that's a lot of hassle and a car (c€100) would be my preference, or you could buy a transfer from Celebrity; if my memory serves me correctly, you can purchase a transfer once you're onboard.

Lastly, on all three of our cruises that have been in the Eastern Med the second night has been formal, but without knowing the full itinerary and arrival and departure times it's difficult to be sure.

Remember, Google is your friend!!!

WT

PLEASE don't take the donkey either up or down it is so cruel. Last year we saw the guys beating them because they were not doing things the way they wanted them to so so cruel. My legs were killing me for 2 days after the walk down so I would use the lift lol

PLEASE don't take the donkey either up or down it is so cruel. Last year we saw the guys beating them because they were not doing things the way they wanted them to so so cruel. My legs were killing me for 2 days after the walk down so I would use the lift lol

If I was to have witnessed that it would have taken everything in me not to do or say something :(

Thank you for sharing your story as a reminder for why people shouldn't take be donkeys up and down the cliffs.

Before I actually went to Santorini- I had envisioned the donkeys going up a dusty trail amongs shrubs with the sun setting in the background. At least that's how they picture it for you in brochures.

In truth- the donkey go up an down steps. No foliage- no resting and no shade. It's just awful and shame on people for subjecting these poor animals to this abuse- not to mention the fact that it would be easy to slip on their mess. Dangerous and brutal to the animals.

We did virtually the same itinerary on X 2 years ago (minus Istanbul), so here's our experience:

Transport from Rome (FCO) > We took the Leonardo Express train. Doing it again, I would just hop on a Regionale train, which is cheaper.

Transport to Civitavecchia > The Frecciabianca is nicer, requires advanced reservation and is less frequent. The Regionale train is cheaper, no luggage racks to speak of and departs at a platform that's a good 10-minute walk from the main part of Termini. We were fine on the Regionale.

Civitavecchia to the ship > This has changed from when we cruised, as it has been reported on the Italy boards that due to construction work, the entrance to the port - where the free port shuttles take you to/from your ship - has changed, and this new entrance is about twice as far from the train station. Therefore, there is supposedly a (pay) bus running to/from this entrance to the train station.

Check in > We were there around noon, and were able to check in and embark right away. It was a couple of hours before the cabins were ready, however.

On the ship > Basically, yes, however there's always a bit of a different 'feel' to a longer cruise. People settle in a bit more, develop a routine, rather than the mad dash to have fun of the shorter 4-day cruises

Ports of call > Substitute 'afternoon trivia' for 'catch some rays', and that's pretty much my routine as well. The only ports we really did proper excursions were Athens (went to Corinth) and Kusadasi (hired a taxi to take us to Ephesus). Otherwise, the whole wandering thing worked well for us :D.

Civitavecchia to Rome (FCO)> We took that same flight. Disembarked at 8am, got our luggage and made our way to the train station, caught the 9-something train towards Rome, got off at Trastevere and transferred to a FCO-bound train, and got there sometime before noon - can't remember exact time, but I do remember we had to wait for the BA desk to open for check-in!

So many nice replies from people who have obviously enjoyed the various historical sites, but mainly written from a US/Canadian perspective and understandably they are interested in the historical aspects; but the OP lives in the UK and for many Brits, Med cruises are just a way to have a relaxing time and soak up some sun. Our routine on port days is much the same as the OP - have a leisurely breakfast, walk into town (or take a shuttle), wander around and get a feel for the place, stop for a coffee and maybe chat with the locals, back to the ship for lunch and then enjoy the sunshine on deck.

From that perspective, this is our take on the ports:

Santorini - very beautiful (it's where Mama Mia was filmed), but there can be a long wait for the cable car. Booking a ship's excursion, means you will be amongst the first passengers off the ship, but if you don't mind waiting for the cable car, it is easy to do on your own. Also remember to allow time to get back down on the cable car before the ship sails, allowing for having to queue again. I agree with previous posters' comments about taking the donkey ride. Some people walk the donkey path, but inevitably it's a bit smelly and slippery.:eek:

Istanbul - interesting, cosmopolitan city . The inhabitants are proud of the fact it is half in Europe and half in Asia and we have always found them helpful and friendly. The main tourist sites (Hagia Sophia, Blue Mosque, Topkapi Palace, etc) are easy to DIY if they are of interest to you.

Kusadasi - nice little town, friendly people. The bazaar has the usual pro-active Turkish shop owners trying to engage you in conversation to make a sale. All very good-humoured and fun, but can get a bit wearing if you just want to browse. We did take a tour to Ephesus on one of our trips. It has some well preserved ancient buildings, but it is hot and dusty and is interesting if you are looking for culture, but definitely not for fun in the sun!

Mykonos - Picturesque narrow streets with small shops, and lots of cafes and bars along the waterfront - which always seem to be full of Brits, as EasyJet flies there from London and Manchester!

Athens - like you we have done Athens once, and on our subsequent stops there we have stayed on the ship. There were quite a few other passengers who stayed on board each time, but it was uncrowded and relaxing and we had a very enjoyable day.

Naples - vibrant city, fun people - the traffic is crazy! Beware the scooter riders who jump the traffic jams by riding on the pavement. We found the HOHO buses good - you can watch all the action from the top deck without danger to life and limb.

I realise many people enjoy touring the old buildings and learning about their history but the OP said they were just looking for some R & R in the sun and this is exactly how we view our Med cruises. When we want a more "cultural" trip to a European city we go out of high season for a long weekend and just take a low-cost flight.

Sorry, I can't be of help with the travel questions, as we have always booked a fly/cruise.

Edited by Suzy Smith

Apparently the entrance to the port is now much further from the train station in Civitavecchia .Our experience was that that train was on the very last track ..28 or 29 ...we walked in the station

for a long time .we did it with just parcels from shopping .very little time to get on board ...very crowded ...do not leave your bags plus there is not much room for them anywhere ..not sure how you would squeeze them in beside you if you got a seat

I would never do it with suitcases ...way too hard. And surface is not always smooth

In Civi ..i believe you are dealing with cobblestones ...will kill your wheels plus it is now twice as far ..itwill take maybe 35 minutes to get to the entrance of the port shlepping luggage .Hope you have a strong back and legs ..I would never do it ....plus you are fighting crowds going to the same place

Save yourself the aggravation buy a transfer from a reliable company .I always deal with Rome Cabs ansd Stefano

Thats my opinion

Apparently the entrance to the port is now much further from the train station in Civitavecchia .Our experience was that that train was on the very last track ..28 or 29 ...we walked in the station

for a long time .we did it with just parcels from shopping .very little time to get on board ...very crowded ...do not leave your bags plus there is not much room for them anywhere ..not sure how you would squeeze them in beside you if you got a seat

I would never do it with suitcases ...way too hard. And surface is not always smooth

In Civi ..i believe you are dealing with cobblestones ...will kill your wheels plus it is now twice as far ..itwill take maybe 35 minutes to get to the entrance of the port shlepping luggage .Hope you have a strong back and legs ..I would never do it ....plus you are fighting crowds going to the same place

Save yourself the aggravation buy a transfer from a reliable company .I always deal with Rome Cabs ansd Stefano

Thats my opinion

When you say it's now much further, what timeframe are you comparing this to?

In October 2012, it took us 15-20 minutes to walk from the train station to the port entrance. Similar reviews from 2013 had the same timeframe. Has this changed since then?

When you say it's now much further, what timeframe are you comparing this to?

In October 2012, it took us 15-20 minutes to walk from the train station to the port entrance. Similar reviews from 2013 had the same timeframe. Has this changed since then?

This thread is helpful:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2038511

Thats my opinion

I was on the Reflection last October and my wife and I returned a car at Hertz which right next door to the terminal.

When you get out the terminal turn right, you go down a slight grade, and when your at the bottom cross the street and walk along the beach. All even pavement. Its maybe a block or two along the beach to the gate where you catch the shuttle to the ship. In fact we stopped and took some pictures in front that statue of the famous V-E Day sailor kissing his girlfriend. The whole trip with the stop took about 15 minutes.

If you click on the link in my signature you can see what excursions we did and the transportation options we used.

I did click on your link and I'm half way through your epic review, and enjoying it very much! :D

Thanks for sharing! so many other good tips to, like detergent and clothes line. I would never even thought of that. I look forward to reading the rest.

Rob.