Should the ship help?

I agree. And why would someone enter the public bathroom to do their business while holding their cell phone?

If it is in one's pocket it is reasonable to take it out and set it on a shelf. Holding or handling a phone - or any other item in a restroom does not require one to be using it.

I would be horrified to think I might be talking on the phone to someone using a toilet.:eek:

Totally agree and this does happen at our work sometimes. It's just an invasion of privacy of everyone else if you ask me. Sometimes I just want to stand there and flush again and again- loudly!

I suspect that the crew members were not rude. Simply reacting to a very unreasonable request. Really, what is the point of requesting to see the Captain?

The OP is responsible for loosing the phone, responsible for her own worry, stress, and subsequent infection.

HAL tried to help. The rest she brought on herself. That is where, if there is any blame, it belongs. Not on the HAL staff or even criticizing the HAL staff.

This gets back IMHO to the sense of entitlement that some people seem to have. I am the most important person, I need to be catered to, my priorities should be the priorities of the ship management. We have seen this on cruises from time to time. People need to get over themselves and get a grip on reality.

A bit harsh, don't you think? I suspect the this will be the OP's first and only post on CC. She/he has been characterized as being a liar, irresponsible, unreasonable and a host of other negative attributes.

Totally agree and this does happen at our work sometimes. It's just an invasion of privacy of everyone else if you ask me. Sometimes I just want to stand there and flush again and again- loudly!

I think I might have to try that:D.

If it is in one's pocket it is reasonable to take it out and set it on a shelf. Holding or handling a phone - or any other item in a restroom does not require one to be using it.

Someone was talking on their phone in the bathroom at my old part-time job (in the staff area), and had been for a while, taking up a stall when there were only two (you could tell by the feet that they were NOT sitting but probably were changing (another pet peeve when there were two dressing rooms). One of our co-workers went in and mock retched and flushed, retched and flushed. That particular stall hog got the message.

I would be horrified to think I might be talking on the phone to someone using a toilet.:eek:

Just because the phone was in the bathroom doesn't mean it was being used. Actually the OP said it was in airplane mode. :)

What's with all the comments about someone carrying a phone in their hands and going into a bathroom with it? :confused: :rolleyes: Sounds rather innocuous to me.

I don't just want to do that, I do it! And make any other noises I can muster :D

Just because the phone was in the bathroom doesn't mean it was being used. Actually the OP said it was in airplane mode. :)

What's with all the comments about someone carrying a phone in their hands and going into a bathroom with it? :confused: :rolleyes: Sounds rather innocuous to me.

Why have it so close to you if it's in airplane mode? Clearly the OP was very attached to their phone. I'd want to protect something like that.

Edited by cruz chic

Sometimes the evil me wants to start groaning and making obnoxious bathroom noises. But sometimes it's one of the director's talking....and I have seen people taking business calls with a remote headset in there.

Why have it so close to you if it's in airplane mode? Clearly the OP was very attached to their phone. I'd want to protect something like that.

Number one reason - to listen to your music that you have on your phone.

Music... camera... watch... ;)

You beat me to it. I just had a thought that I was being a bit hasty with my criticism of someone carrying their phone around in airplane mode when I remembered that I often use my phone as a camera.

I do have it in my pocket though. I would lose it too if I carried it around in my hand.

Hi

Oh wow can you imanage all the messages of a phone is missinf from the Oean louge. or camera was left in queens louge. it would be non stop. On my last cruise to alaska I found someone's knook on the outsidw railing (underneath). It had his name on it. I brought it back to cabin to see if I could find him. No luck. So I brought it down to front desk gave my name and where I found it. I went down to frnt desk and asked was it picked up and it was,

duriing the cruise I went to Mendenhal glacier On the free bus my brothers camera fell out of my pocket. I was crushed as it had photo's of me at the waterfall. I noticed it as soon as I went to my cabin. I got off the ship and checked with the bus I was on. There was maaybe 4 or 5 ships in port. . I was upset losing my brothers camera as well as the photo's as my canon (large) did not get photo's due to my mistake in not putting a card in it. Next morning I got a call. People who were sitting behind me on the bus saw the camera and picked it up.. They looked at the photo's on the camera and reconized me. There cabin was across the hall from me. I was in my bathrope when they knocked on my door. I still feel bad I did not give them some flowers or a bottle to this day.. So there are honest people out there. Please write again to HAl and ask if it has been turned it.

Mary

OP

I am sorry that this happened to you.

Wanting to talk to the captain -- sorry having someone pick up your iPhone is not his responsibility.

Front desk for Lost and Found is the place to go and hope that someone will turn it in.

Do call Seattle and explain the situation and they can check to see if an iPhone was turned into the ship at the end of your cruise.

Hi

Oh wow can you imanage all the messages of a phone is missinf from the Oean louge. or camera was left in queens louge. it would be non stop. On my last cruise to alaska I found someone's knook on the outsidw railing (underneath). It had his name on it. I brought it back to cabin to see if I could find him. No luck. So I brought it down to front desk gave my name and where I found it. I went down to frnt desk and asked was it picked up and it was,

duriing the cruise I went to Mendenhal glacier On the free bus my brothers camera fell out of my pocket. I was crushed as it had photo's of me at the waterfall. I noticed it as soon as I went to my cabin. I got off the ship and checked with the bus I was on. There was maaybe 4 or 5 ships in port. . I was upset losing my brothers camera as well as the photo's as my canon (large) did not get photo's due to my mistake in not putting a card in it. Next morning I got a call. People who were sitting behind me on the bus saw the camera and picked it up.. They looked at the photo's on the camera and reconized me. There cabin was across the hall from me. I was in my bathrope when they knocked on my door. I still feel bad I did not give them some flowers or a bottle to this day.. So there are honest people out there. Please write again to HAl and ask if it has been turned it.

Mary

Boy am I glad that I have an old fashioned cell phone that I just throw into the safe and don't use until the end of the cruise if we have arranged private transportation.

I am not into all this modern stuff and have no use for it.

Therefore I don't have to worry about anything like that being lost or stolen.

You beat me to it. I just had a thought that I was being a bit hasty with my criticism of someone carrying their phone around in airplane mode when I remembered that I often use my phone as a camera.

I do have it in my pocket though. I would lose it too if I carried it around in my hand.

That's my point. Why does it have to be in your hand? In Calgary I see almost everyone with their phone in their hand. If I did that it would be lost in 5 minutes. I often wonder if people hold it while they sleep.

Edited by cruz chic

I carry my iphone in my pocket most of the time but when I lost it at Target, I obviously had it in my hand at that moment and put it down before I walked away. Stupid mistake, but who does not make on of hose once in a while?

Maybe the ship did do all it could but the apparent rudeness you encountered is unacceptable.

I have never had any of my questions or requests met with rudeness from HAL staff. I'm assuming someone who expects the captain of a ship to help her find a cell phone was more than annoyingly persistent with staff members. Maybe they were on their last nerve or maybe they had repeatedly told her they had done all they could. Or maybe the way it was said was perceived as rude by the OP because of her stress and exasperation. Lots of scenarios here.

In the end, OP lost her OWN phone and someone dishonest found the phone. What can any of the staff, or captain, do about it?

Boy am I glad that I have an old fashioned cell phone that I just throw into the safe and don't use until the end of the cruise if we have arranged private transportation.

I am not into all this modern stuff and have no use for it.

Therefore I don't have to worry about anything like that being lost or stolen.

I love my iPad and ipod. That said, I don't feel the need to keep either in my hand. I can't understand the phone in the hand at all.

Maybe the ship did do all it could but the apparent rudeness you encountered is unacceptable.

Why would it be rude to be told the Capt. was not available nor would he be available anytime to discuss this matter..:confused:

You don't know how rude he might have been to them. I would expect the response was as a result of his not being willing to take the word no when being told what the ship would or would not do.

Being told that the Captain was not available and never would be for that topic was not being rude it was being realistic

Sorry I botched up your last sentence but completely agree with you!

The Capt. is responsible for the safety of his ship, his Psgrs. & his Crew.. Anyone who believes or insists that the Capt. should become involved with a Psgr. over a lost phone is being totally unreasonable...I agree that sometimes the Front Desk has to be firm with someone who might insist on speaking to the Capt...

OP I'm sorry you lost your phone, but suggest you put it behind you & purchase a new one..You should be able to have the same number with the new phone..

I'm one who puts my phone in our cabin safe when we board the ship & leave it there for the entire cruise..

Re the Tunisia stop being cancelled, unfortunately that happens all the time with all cruise lines..

We once took a cruise out of N.Y. which was scheduled to go to Bermuda (on another line).. Due to unforeseen circumstances we actually did an Eastern U.S. cruise going down the coast to Miami & stopped in the Carolinas & Georgia..

Experienced cruisers know this is always a possibility..

Yes, it's hard to let our kids go, but am sure that the Security people were only trying to calm you & put your fears about your daughter to rest.. I'm sure your daughter will be fine in China.. As a Mother I also know its very hard for us to see our Children go out on their own & spread their wings..

Only good thoughts go to you & your daughter.[/size]

Edited by serendipity1499

I totally agree with you. Their attitude was not appropriate. When you lose something that important to you and especially your daughter, it is frustrating. I'm sure it took awhile to load everything you needed on there. I also bet you are mad at yourself too. I'm still angry about my daughters camera being stolen from prom and that was 20 years ago. :eek: