? about gluten free on Celebrity

auntjoy036

I'm hoping to sneak in an Alaska cruise this late August/early September. I am allergic to wheat, so I eat a gluten free diet. I know Celebrity's menus mark which items are gluten free. I noticed, however, that on many nights the only gluten free main dishes are fish or beef. (I noticed only the daily menus, not the standing, always available menu.) I don't eat fish. If I didn't want beef so often, would the kitchen modify one of the other dishes for me? Or since Celebrity has gone to the extraordinary effort to prepare and clearly identify some gluten free items for each meal, would they refuse to modify anything else?

Does anyone have experience with this?

Thanks.

Vicki

Call specialty services well ahead of your cruise and advise them of your GF needs. Then see the Maitre d' your first day on board. He or she should have the section Maitre d' meet with you each evening at the end of your dinner to choose your dinner for the next day, and yes, they can and will modify dishes for you where they are able and when ordered a day ahead. My BFF had turkey parmesan, pasta, ice cream, etc., all modified for her GF diet. On the buffet for lunch there are many GF options, including a carving station, and even GF pizza. Bistro on 5 will also make GF crepes.

Have a great cruise!

My wife has Celiac, The staff on the Reflection last Nov was simply outstanding at making sure she was ok. Gluten free pasta cooked in it's own water, no cross contamination. The crust on the Gluten free pizza almost brought tears to her eyes. The staff in the MDR was spot on, and in the buffet a Chef would take the time to come speak with her.

She was diagnose in 2003 right after we got off the RCCL Rhapsody and did not cruise again till 2007 on the Mariner. It was ok, she only got sick one time. But she was scared at the thought of getting sick on ship again, and we did not cruise again till the Freedom in 2011, they had a clean area in the galley:)

We were so happy we booked 11 days on the Equinox this year. Which will at long last be our sailing to reach the Elite level in Capt Club.

Edited by wallie5446

The menus in the MDR have all of the GF items marked. There are plenty of options but I agree with speaking with the Maitre d'. I have 2 GF children and am very attuned to this. Even when they are not with us I scout out GF options.

Not so fast on the Not To Worry. I recently got off of the Constellation after 27 days onboard. They had some issues with GF (I have celiac). The first day, I noticed GF cookies in a cookie jar right next to 3 jars of regular cookies. . . .and one set of tongs. So I brought it to the attention of two maitre' d's and got lip service about them taking care of it. After the 3rd day with no change, I met with the Food and Beverage Manager. He said he'd take care of it. Nope, never happened. I finally met with the Hotel Director and told him they just need to separate the jars by maybe 4' and get another set of tongs. Happened immediately. The point being, no one worried a whit about cross-contamination where I could see it. I wonder what I couldn't see. Seemed to be an Oceanview issue because in Cafe al Bacio, they kept the cookies separately in the back to avoid contamination. For 27 days, I ate mostly in Blu and all was well, if repetitive eventually. They brought me the next night's menu after each dinner so I could preorder whatever I wanted. I did eat once in My Time Dining on the Transatlantic portion and unfortunately, there was gluten in something that was marked GF. I'm pretty sure it was the soup. Made for a tough night and following day. If I never see another piece of that pitiful prepackaged GF bread they offer, it will be great. The HD said that later this year, the fleet will be offering 3 kinds of fresh GF bread, like RCI does. That will be a welcome change. As far as the pizza goes, I usually order one to see if the crust has become edible. Not yet. So I peel off the toppings (that's the good part anyway). ;) The crusts I've been served on X are about 6" in diameter, 3/4" thick, and rock solid hard. Some sort of corn & rice concoction. Mmmmm. Had a pizza on Adventure of the Seas last week and it was just like a REAL pizza. I continue to hope that X will follow suit someday. Anyway, don't trust everything they say and be vigilant.

I just remembered, they now have GF soy sauce so you can have stir-fry in the evening in Oceanview. I did have to ask for them to go down to the storeroom and get it, however (I already knew it was onboard).

Edited by goofysmom99

Not so fast on the Not To Worry. I recently got off of the Constellation after 27 days onboard. They had some issues with GF (I have celiac). The first day, I noticed GF cookies in a cookie jar right next to 3 jars of regular cookies. . . .and one set of tongs. So I brought it to the attention of two maitre' d's and got lip service about them taking care of it. After the 3rd day with no change, I met with the Food and Beverage Manager. He said he'd take care of it. Nope, never happened. I finally met with the Hotel Director and told him they just need to separate the jars by maybe 4' and get another set of tongs. Happened immediately. The point being, no one worried a whit about cross-contamination where I could see it. I wonder what I couldn't see. Seemed to be an Oceanview issue because in Cafe al Bacio, they kept the cookies separately in the back to avoid contamination. For 27 days, I ate mostly in Blu and all was well, if repetitive eventually. They brought me the next night's menu after each dinner so I could preorder whatever I wanted. I did eat once in My Time Dining on the Transatlantic portion and unfortunately, there was gluten in something that was marked GF. I'm pretty sure it was the soup. Made for a tough night and following day. If I never see another piece of that pitiful prepackaged GF bread they offer, it will be great. The HD said that later this year, the fleet will be offering 3 kinds of fresh GF bread, like RCI does. That will be a welcome change. As far as the pizza goes, I usually order one to see if the crust has become edible. Not yet. So I peel off the toppings (that's the good part anyway). ;) The crusts I've been served on X are about 6" in diameter, 3/4" thick, and rock solid hard. Some sort of corn & rice concoction. Mmmmm. Had a pizza on Adventure of the Seas last week and it was just like a REAL pizza. I continue to hope that X will follow suit someday. Anyway, don't trust everything they say and be vigilant.

I just remembered, they now have GF soy sauce so you can have stir-fry in the evening in Oceanview. I did have to ask for them to go down to the storeroom and get it, however (I already knew it was onboard).

I also wonder how they make gluten free crepes. Do they have a dedicated crepe maker? If not, how well do they clean the crepe maker before making the GF crepe. Many people are eating GF. Quite a few do not have Celiac disease. In one way this is good because more GF options are available. But in another way it is bad if GF isn't taken seriously and is viewed as a choice, or worse, a fad diet.

I also wonder how they make gluten free crepes. Do they have a dedicated crepe maker? If not, how well do they clean the crepe maker before making the GF crepe. Many people are eating GF. Quite a few do not have Celiac disease. In one way this is good because more GF options are available. But in another way it is bad if GF isn't taken seriously and is viewed as a choice, or worse, a fad diet.

When you order GF crepes in Bistro on Five, they warn you it's going to take awhile and they totally clean one of the machines. Then they keep one set aside and the food comes faster on a second visit. Ditto waffles. They will serve you a GF waffle in the MDR. For toast, they're supposed to have a dedicated toaster and on other cruises, they have. On the Connie in Oceanview, they tried to run that yummy bread through the regular toaster. I had to fuss about that too. Overall, they do a pretty decent job. The Oceanview on the Constellation had the issues. I blame the FBM and the chef. They were quite cavalier about my concerns. That's why I visited with the Hotel Director. He listened. I also am writing a letter to corporate and I took some swell photos to accompany it, too. ;)

My recent experiences included cookies with oatmeal, we requested some variety. I seriously doubt they paid $5 per pound for gluten free oatmeal. Beautiful chocolate mousse on rice krispy crust, barley malt. Cheesecake where they removed the crust, Blu. Scones, muffins, pizza crust, waffles with pure rice flour. Some nights with no gluten free choices. I could go on and on. Write to the culinary team and let them know. I welcome a change to the gluten free bread offerings, I can't believe they still serve something so bad. Yes, you need to mention cross-contamination to nearly everyone.

I apoligize to those offended by my comments but I do hope for better in the future. It is no fun missing ports or a relaxing day at sea for noro type symptoms. For those new to the diet, they should educate themselves as much as possible prior to cruising. It is not impossible if you know what to watch for. Longer cruises are more difficult due to the boredom of the offerings. My most recent cruise was 28 days.

My recent experiences included cookies with oatmeal, we requested some variety. I seriously doubt they paid $5 per pound for gluten free oatmeal. Beautiful chocolate mousse on rice krispy crust, barley malt. Cheesecake where they removed the crust, Blu. Scones, muffins, pizza crust, waffles with pure rice flour. Some nights with no gluten free choices. I could go on and on. Write to the culinary team and let them know. I welcome a change to the gluten free bread offerings, I can't believe they still serve something so bad. Yes, you need to mention cross-contamination to nearly everyone.

When I met with the FBM, I brought along one of the cookies. They were rather tasteless, dry, hard, with a sawdust interior (would make great packing material). Anyway, I offered it to him and asked if he'd ever eaten one. He sheepishly said yes. Then I asked him if he'd ever met anyone who had eaten two. They really are dreadful. Bless their hearts, though, they did try to make different cookies afterwards (no oatmeal). The butler brought me a big plate every afternoon and waited to see if I liked them. Twice in twelve days, they were pretty good. I offered the HD the use my internet minutes to download some decent GF cookie recipes for a crowd. I think they all assumed I was kidding. I didn't encounter any of the cheesecake, rice crispy foods, just a lot of creme brulee, cherries jubilee, and bananas foster. The sugar-free, GF pot de creme was by far the best dessert I had the whole time so they made it special for me on several evenings. Very nice gesture. They also made me key lime mousse in a cup (no crust contamination). Yummy. My second favorite.

When all is said and done, I think the FBM on the Connie needs some additional training and if that doesn't work, he needs replacing.

This whole thread is causing us some concern. We have not yet tried Celebrity and are trying to learn as much as possible. On Princess, DH has never gotten sick from the food. We had a close call at the buffet but that only confirmed for us that we need to stick to the dining rooms.

This whole thread is causing us some concern. We have not yet tried Celebrity and are trying to learn as much as possible. On Princess, DH has never gotten sick from the food. We had a close call at the buffet but that only confirmed for us that we need to stick to the dining rooms.

My wife got sick on the Ruby in Nov 2012.

Thanks goofysmom99 and bakcd for the words of caution. I typically don't react to cross contamination, like using the same tongs, but eating gluten-containing foods because I thought they were gluten free would be a problem. I appreciate you letting me learn from your experience.

Vicki

Aunt Joy, you can eat safely, just be alert. You might carry cookies, crackers or non-perishable treats that you know you like. We eat most meals in the Lido. Search for the matre'd, chef for the Lido or the Lido manager and let him know your needs the first day. They will bring something from the kitchen if you would like. You may have to circle the buffet to find someone.

If you want salad and there are gluten ingredients, ask for fresh from under the counter. If the server doesn't understand, be insistent or ask another server. Ask for fresh tuna or chicken salad from the large container under the counter. Enjoy carved meat and vegetables.

Burgers and hotdogs without buns. Check the Spa Cafe for menu changes each day. Go to Bistro, order the crepe fillings in a bowl, then if you are comfortable, order a dessert crepe.

Breakfast, omelets, eggs cooked to order, poached eggs, carved meats, English bacon, fruits, yogurt. Watch bacon as it is often drained on bread.

Pre order dinner, even if you have anytime seating. If something appeals to you, ask if it can be modified. I have had good and bad experiences. If you have the bread, ask for it to be toasted on both sides.

On my last two sailings, they had Estrella beer, a nice treat. When you return home, shareyourexperiences. Enjoy your cruise.

I had excellent GF service on our Greece/ Turkey cruise on the Connie. Very careful, attentive waiter in anytime dining. Given the next days menu after dinner and preordered. First night I ordered a pork chop which gave no indication on the menu that it was breaded. My face dropped when it came to the table. Reordered and breaded with GF bread crumbs. Our two weeks on the Eclipse was somewhat lacking in the same gluten free care. Wish there was a better selection of pastries and breads. Celebrity's GF pizza crust is not fit for human consumption. There are pre made frozen crusts out there that are delish. Order some please.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

We were on the Equinox in late February and had zero problems. The head chef in the cafeteria walked me around every time I asked and pointed out gf choices. He also pointed out that the steak fries in the cafeteria are gf, while the steak fries at the pool bar are not. The head chef told me he was available 24/7 and really went out of his way to ensure I didn't get sick from cross contamination. There was a dedicated gf toaster with bread and muffins that were physically in a different breakfast station than the other toasters.

I did ask for fresh egg omelets as the egg mix can have gluten in it. One egg station attendant didn't get that, so I did need to ensure he wrote fresh egg on the omelet order.

I asked for a gf dessert one day and a short time later was presented with a plate of 4 kinds of dessert nibbles' each with their own flair and embellishments. My husbands' jaw dropped when he saw how happy the head chef was that I was appreciative of his efforts.

Pre ordered gf meals in the main dining room the night prior. Our waiter was very knowledgeable about what could be modified to gf.

Ate in the bistro on 5 one evening and the gf crepes are excellent!ll

The smoothies in the Aqua Spa Cafe list the ingredients and are noted as gf.

This.was by far the easiest cruise I have been on since being diagnosed 7 years ago with gf food that actually had taste. Except for the gf pizza-it really is not any good!

The only snag I hit was the molecular bar. The liquors used in the drinks I had never heard of and the bartender had no idea which were gf. So I passed - bummer.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

Maybe the Reflection was trying out a new product last Nov then. Dana's first experience with the GF pizza was at the Lawn Club Grill. They cleaned down the prep table and really made her feel like all the rest of the people eating there. I had a regular one and her's was indeed better than mine!

image.jpg.ebea59434160c156b6b9d74b40ae7161.jpg

I had excellent GF service on our Greece/ Turkey cruise on the Connie. Very careful, attentive waiter in anytime dining. Given the next days menu after dinner and preordered. First night I ordered a pork chop which gave no indication on the menu that it was breaded. My face dropped when it came to the table. Reordered and breaded with GF bread crumbs. Our two weeks on the Eclipse was somewhat lacking in the same gluten free care. Wish there was a better selection of pastries and breads. Celebrity's GF pizza crust is not fit for human consumption. There are pre made frozen crusts out there that are delish. Order some please.

I had pizza on the Infinity and you could not choke it down. The same for the waffles. While talking with the chef I learned that they use pure rice flour and have no gums on board. Now riceflour is nothing more than ground raw rice. Everyone knows you cook rice by letting it absorb the liquid. If you take a cup of rice flour and add the liquid called for in a normal recipe, it is not enough to make the product palitable. I have also been served scones, muffins, midified fish cakes that used the same baking proceedures. It does't work and it will neverwork with this method. I feel sorry for the pastry chef who is trying to do nothing more than please us but who has been no tools with which to work.

There are a couple of solutions, cruise another line that does it better, do without, carry your own or write or call the head people. It is a shame because we like Celebrity. However our recent 28 day trip became a trial as I searched for something to eat. Maybe I need to stick with short cruises with Celebrity and take my extended cruise business elsewhere. All this after we achieved elite plus.

I bring my own gluten free crackers. The Breton GF crackers are so good that everyone is eating them. Unless Celebrity provides the pastry chef necessary ingredients to make tasty quality products, it's just better for them to source good prepackaged products and warm as ordered. The GF scones on the Eclipse were quite alright.

I am in great hopes that they will work to remedy this situation. When they do, I hope they will consider creating some desserts that are dairy free as so many have problems with lactose.

My next booked sailing is on the reflection next May and I am hoping for a better experience.