Carnival Miracle to Alaska 5-27-14 to 6-3-14..... Disappointed :-(

GreyZuk

Out of this entire review this is the only item I really take issue with, the rest is the OP's opinion. You are NOT forced to pay the daily gratuity you can ask to have them removed from your account. However, it's MY opinion that anyone who does this is a subpar person.

If I truly received bad service I'd consider removing the tips. But I would only do it if the tip could be removed from an individual and not the entire group that gets tips. I have no idea if that's possible because I've never had service so bad it required this. But I am curious? Can you remove a tip from just the waiter, for example?

Gee, I've had only 5 cruises with a 6th coming up... and I've had a bartender ignore me for 15 minutes because I was holding a soda card, and grumble while he filled my drink order. I've also seen the breakfast buffet start being broken down before 9:30am, leaving only 1 section plus an omelet station open. Carnival crew people are human and have bad days. It's impossible for every single staff member to be UP and perfectly chirpy 24/7.

Stuff happens dude. Just because it didn't happen to you doesn't make it untrue, or a 'plant'.

I thought the OP's review was pretty fair. He mentioned what he liked, what was good and what was bad. He didn't slam Carnival.

You know the bartender ignored you because you had a soda card? Really? Did he tell you that or did you just imagine that from the way he looked at you? The buffet serves full breakfast until 11:30a every day on every ship. When people make statements that are not true or have vivid imaginations you have to question the validity of these reviews. Sorry if you don't agree.

If I truly received bad service I'd consider removing the tips. But I would only do it if the tip could be removed from an individual and not the entire group that gets tips. I have no idea if that's possible because I've never had service so bad it required this. But I am curious? Can you remove a tip from just the waiter, for example?

I have been told you can remove just a certain portion of the tips but I have never removed tips (or a portion) so i cannot verify the accuracy of what I was told.

You know the bartender ignored you because you had a soda card? Really? Did he tell you that or did you just imagine that from the way he looked at you? The buffet serves full breakfast until 11:30a every day on every ship. When people make statements that are not true or have vivid imaginations you have to question the validity of these reviews. Sorry if you don't agree.

Question all you like, but suggesting the guy is lying is just wrong. I repeat, just because it didn't happen to you doesn't mean it didn't happen.

• 1 month later...

I'm sorry to hear your cruise on the Miracle did not meet your expectations. Re the noise in your room, it sounds like it was the waves hitting the bow. You were booked on the lowest deck (1), which is also the least expensive. Did you really think they would upgrade you to a balcony cabin for free? Balcony cabins are MUCH MUCH more expensive then Deck 1 cabins.

Re your feeling the bartenders are ignoring you--I have felt that way, too, on occasion. However, how do they know I wasn't walking up to order a mixed drink, even though I have Bottomless Bubbles? Maybe they are just overtired (or hungover) and overworked and just generally feel put upon by being asked to perform their basic jobs.

Anyway, I think Carnival is the best value on the seas. I'd give them another chance, but book a higher deck next time. :)

Edited by Laurin612

We didn't experience anything like you did. We were in awe of the scenery and the ports. So much so, that we booked another cruise - but on Princess out of San Francisco. Interesting that you requested a balcony for your troubles when you didn't pay for a balcony. Would that have made a difference in your cruise? Missing out on the scenery from a balcony would be a big minus for us.

Edited by elliair

LOL. Wait, so because you heard a weird banging noise in your room, you decided you deserved an upgrade? Geez. They offered to move you to another room, that im sure you could have tested to make sure the noise wasnt there. Thats good customer service. Giving you a free balcony? Thats ridiculous.

The rest of the complaints are valid and do happen, but it only hurts your cruising experience, if you let it. I guess its just not for you.

That "banging" sound you heard is infact the waves hitting the bow.

You're on a ship and this does happen from time to time.

absolutely true. we were forward on a Princess cruise and had some weather one night and heard the waves against the ship all night. it is not a reassuring sound.

Wow...that was one funny assembly of words on that "review".

I thought so too.

I don't get why the OP thought they'd get a free upgrade?!

We too heard the knocking - we were in the aft of the ship in an ocean view room on the 2nd floor - both times we had an aft, lower ocean view room. We presumed it was the current and being close to the water. We much prefer the higher, balcony rooms (that we pay for).

We too think the desserts are kinda meh, but it doesn't ale or break the cruise for us :) We can always find something!

They have a "Late Risers" breakfast buffet open until noon (I believe). It's usually forward on the starboard side. Several times I've swung by, got a fried egg and several strips of bacon, then over to the burger grill to adorn an excellent burger.

The sea day brunch goes until 1(?) and you can get breakfast until closing.

My only complaints about the Miracle are:

1. It's a rust bucket. Needs a fresh coat of paint badly, next March I believe
  2. Really really really needs some of the 2.0 dining options, really.
  3. Have to wait until February to get back on her. But she IS going back to Mazatlan

OP, the best steakhouse throws a bad one out every now and then. Give it another try before you write it off.

(I've heard the banging up on deck 4 aft many times, not sure how far from the waterline you have to go to minimize it)

I will be the first to admit I was wrong so I stand corrected. I guess we have been fortunate never to experience waves banging against the hull.

Good info to have. We will avoid the front area of the ship when selecting a cabin.

The bad thing about this is you will miss out on some wonderful PT cabins. :(

• 4 weeks later...

Just got off the Miracle on 8/5. I thought the food was decent. Not fantastic, but certainly not tasteless. I thought the food selection on the main Lido buffet and Lido dessert area was much better than on the Sunshine.

I have to agree with PulledPorky who said that the Miracle is in dire need of a fresh coat of paint. Our category 9B balcony (7301) was quite rusty. There was even a water spigot with rusty water stains dripping down the wall.

I also agree with Pulledporky's comment re the Miracle sorely needing the 2.0 dining options. The grill place that serves burgers, hot dogs and chicken tenders is pretty bad. Having had Guy's delicious burgers on our Sunshine cruise in December just accentuated how awful the regular grill's burgers are! We really missed having access to Guy's, Cucina Capitano, Blue Iguana Cantina and Jiji Asian Kitchen. For some reason I thought the Miracle had a tandoor and a fish & chips place, but it had neither. Thanks goodness for Pizza Pirate (Quattro Formaggi!) and the deli--they were my lunchtime mainstays.

Strange how everyone notices different things on a ship!

We have been on the Miracle twice now and booked for our 3rd time in March 2015. We have also cruised on NCL and Royal Caribbean.

We have not noticed any wear and tear on the ship that made it look like a "rust bucket". We are always in balcony cabins on either deck 6 or 7 and they have always been in good shape!

We enjoy the food in the MDR and think the buffet choices are better than NCLs but perhaps not better than Royal. I don't really care about hamburgers and only get them once in a while so the choices at the grill are fine for me.

We do think that there should be more choices in the evening but other than that it is a ship we enjoy!

Different strokes I suppose!

We thoroughly enjoyed our Miracle cruise. Having Michelle the naturalist on board was a bonus! We got lucky and ended up on our whale watching excursion with Mr. Radu (ships fantastic photographer)!

The only bad thing was the very limited food on the Lido for dinner (we unfortunately missed dinner one night in the dining room). This ship does need the upgrades but I would not call it a rust bucket.