Parking at Bayonne Pier

seef

Hi: My husband and I are cruising on the Celebrity Summit June 15th. We're really looking forward to "getting away and relaxing". The pier parking is extremely expensive. We're coming from Connecticut so we're driving to Bayonne. Does anyone have any suggestions for "less expensive" parking for the week? Would love to get any feedback. Thanks, Seef

The cost at the port is $19 a day and very nice to have your car right there. You may be able to find a hotel that has a free shuttle to the port. The hotel maybe cheaper than the port, but you will also add extra expense for your meals the night before.

Hi: My husband and I are cruising on the Celebrity Summit June 15th. We're really looking forward to "getting away and relaxing". The pier parking is extremely expensive. We're coming from Connecticut so we're driving to Bayonne. Does anyone have any suggestions for "less expensive" parking for the week? Would love to get any feedback. Thanks, Seef

We're driving up from DC ourselves and have been debating other parking options, but there are very few park/shuttle options and the $1-2 savings per day doesn't make up for the convenience.

If you are looking at the hotels, a hotel room the night before is roughly the same as the cost to park at Bayonne.

Our analysis has resulted in our plan to park at the port.

We live in Connecticut. We have done 11 cruises out of Bayonne, the easiest, safest and most efficient way is to park at the pier. $19 a day beats flying and/or the hassle of parking off-site and waiting 90 minutes for a shuttle to come pick you up. We are home in less than that. It's worth it. IMO.

Edited by CruisingChick

I'm also sailing out of Bayonne at the end of June and think that $19 is a little high considering you still have to be shuttled to the pier. I saw online another parking on Old Hook Road for $11 a day. Since we have to be shuttled anyway, I'd like to save some money to spend at the spa while on board. Has anyone used the Old Hook Road parking lot?

I'm also sailing out of Bayonne at the end of June and think that $19 is a little high considering you still have to be shuttled to the pier. I saw online another parking on Old Hook Road for $11 a day. Since we have to be shuttled anyway, I'd like to save some money to spend at the spa while on board. Has anyone used the Old Hook Road parking lot?

The "shuttle" to the ship is a 1 minute ride from the check-in counter to actually boarding the ship.

A shuttle from an off-site parking lot to the actual Cape Liberty cruise terminal is a totally different thing. Plus I've read a lot of negative reviews about the Premiere Parking in Bayonne on another thread.

I just did a dummy reservation with Premiere and it's $110.13. It's not worth it to save $22.87 to park there IMO.

Edited by CruisingChick

The "shuttle" to the ship is a 1 minute ride from the check-in counter to actually boarding the ship.

A shuttle from an off-site parking lot to the actual Cape Liberty cruise terminal is a totally different thing. Plus I've read a lot of negative reviews about the Premiere Parking in Bayonne on another thread.

I just did a dummy reservation with Premiere and it's $110.13. It's not worth it to save $22.87 to park there IMO.

Thanks for the info and the research. I'll park at the pier. You're right, it's not worth $22.87.:D;)

Then you will be shuttled twice because the one at the pier is for everyone and there is no choice you have to do it.

Thanks for the info and the research. I'll park at the pier. You're right, it's not worth $22.87.:D;)

Very simple process. The only real difference between parking at Cape Liberty and most other ports is a short shuttle ride from the terminal building to the ship. It becomes a little more difficult for those who choose to handle their own luggage when they return after their cruise since they will have to load it onto the shuttle for the two minute trip back to the terminal building.

We have done it many times and it is as quick and painless as can be.

Cape Liberty

Drive to the Port.

Drive to the luggage area.

Drop off your luggage. (two minutes)

Drive to the parking lot. (three minutes)

Walk to the terminal. (two minutes---five minutes)

Register and get your sea pass. (depends on volume)

Get on the shuttle. (depends on volume)

Step off the shuttle onto the gangway. (one minute)

Start your cruise.

The entire length of time spent depends on how many passengers are arriving at the time you get to the port.

Really not a problem and not that different from any other port.

bosco

Edited by boscobeans

There was no shuttle from where we parked our car at the pier to where we checked in for the cruise. After we checked in there is a short shuttle ride to the ship. That will end when the new building and 900 car parking lot is built.

It is easy to drop your luggage at the check in building then drive to the parking lot and walk back...

Is it easy to get to the ship from the $19 a day parking garage? thanks!

There ARE vans that circle the parking lot, but really it's an easy walk.

And the oft-maligned shuttle to the ship will go away when the new terminal is done.

$19 bucks per day is NOT expensive considering that you're VERY close to Manhattan where parking is 40 bucks a day, not $45 as mentioned before

http://www.nycruise.com/manhattan-terminal/parking/

When you add time and extra cost to off site parking in Bayonne ( I refuse to EVER recommend premier parking...ugh) it is not worth it.

Park at the pier, and be done with it..

Is it easy to get to the ship from the $19 a day parking garage? thanks!

It's a very short walk to the cruise terminal.

By the way, it's a parking lot, not a garage. They are building a garage as part of the new terminal's construction.

Edited by njhorseman

My fear is the price of parking will go up to cover the cost of the new garage and cruise terminal. I don't mind $19 a day, but anything over that will start to hurt.

It's a short walk (usually) from parking to check in terminal. Also driver can drop off passengers when/where luggage is dropped off with their carry ons, so then only driver has to walk back from the parking lot to the check in terminal.

Thanks everyone!!! Trying to decide between a $400 limo ride or the $19 a day parking. Now my concern is car door damage...didn't someone say it was a very tight fit? :(

We've parked there 11 times and the only damage we had done was back in 2009 from Bayonne Dry Dock with paint over spray. You don't have to worry about that where you are parking now as it's not near the dry dock.

We were fine when we parked our car May 25 - June 1. Plenty of room between cars.

We've parked there 11 times and the only damage we had done was back in 2009 from Bayonne Dry Dock with paint over spray. You don't have to worry about that where you are parking now as it's not near the dry dock.

We were fine when we parked our car May 25 - June 1. Plenty of room between cars.

Thanks! Parking looks like the better option! :)

Were they able to get the spray paint off of your car? :eek:

Thanks! Parking looks like the better option! :)

Were they able to get the spray paint off of your car? :eek:

Yes, luckily I found a guy near where I live that does it. Most body shops don't do it. The Dry Dock paid him directly so I didn't have to worry about the costs, I was just without a car for 2 1/2 days. I wrote a letter to the President of Celebrity copying RCL's President, they would absolutely take NO responsibility for what happened. The only reason I was parked there was to get on one of their cruise ships, they are the ones promoting the cruise terminal, still.....they said sorry not our problem (in so many words).

The parking is not that tight...

As for the paint overspray from the dry dock..

WELL the drydock, the parking lot operator and RCI/Celebrity are 3 different companies so there would be no reason for Royal to take responsibility nor to do anything.

Is that good customer service ? No but really, they don't control ANYTHING there, except their ships, and possibly the terminal building. The employees who check you in do not work for the cruise line either.

The dry dock has solved the issue, your car will not get squished as long as the person next to you isn't a jerk and I fully expect the cost of parking to go up when the garage is done.

That all said, I still prefer to cruise from home....no flight, no expensive bridge or tunnel tolls, no cab ride from the train station (assuming I cruise from NYC) ...

Yes, luckily I found a guy near where I live that does it. Most body shops don't do it. The Dry Dock paid him directly so I didn't have to worry about the costs, I was just without a car for 2 1/2 days. I wrote a letter to the President of Celebrity copying RCL's President, they would absolutely take NO responsibility for what happened. The only reason I was parked there was to get on one of their cruise ships, they are the ones promoting the cruise terminal, still.....they said sorry not our problem (in so many words).

What a pain not having your car for 2 days! :eek:

Reminds me (not even close to your paint problem) we went to a company event at a very very nice hotel in the city..when everyone stood up they had white stripes across the back of their tuxes and gowns....they had just painted the chairs and they weren't completely dry. They (hotel) covered the cost of cleaning and/or cost of the ruined attire.

There is plenty of parking. No one has ever complained that the parking was full.

Things are in flux at Cape Liberty because of the construction of the new terminal. It's hard to tell you exactly how it will work, because they change it around. Go onto google maps and look at the satellite photo of

Port Terminal Blvd, Bayonne, NJ and come back with any questions.