A couple of incidents on the May 31 Crown SB Alaska cruise

westcoaster

I didn’t see this reported elsewhere, but I’m currently on the Crown Princess May 31 southbound from Whittier to Vancouver and there have been a couple of incidents to keep things exciting.

On Tuesday morning coming into Skagway, we were awakened at 4:30 am by an announcement from the captain broadcast into all the cabins. There was a fire in the engine room, we lost propulsion, and all crew were called to their emergency stations. They also called in tugboats to assist us if needed. After about 10-15 minutes, the captain came back on to say everything had been resolved. Just a little excitement for the passengers, but I felt sorry for the crew who all had to get up at 4:30 then work the next day!

Today (Friday) as we were just north of Vancouver Island, the ship turned around. The captain came on to say that someone had fallen off a fishing boat and was injured. Being the nearest large ship, we were going to assist with our medical staff. We reached the fishing boat, which was alongside a tug pulling a barge. A rescue plane came and two people parachuted out. Then the helicopter came and medivacced the injured person. For those on the June 7 sailing of the Crown, the captain said we would still be on time arriving in Vancouver despite the approx. 2 hour delay.

There's always some excitement when you are cruising!

Glad the fire didn't become a bigger issue.

The area along the coast is very busy with cruise ships/fishing vessels/commercial marine traffic etc.

Makes it good that there is usually someone closeby.

Hope your cruise has gone well and enjoy the rest of your cruise.

The morning we got into San Francisco on the Star Princess 6/02, the medical team was alerted to the Baja deck for medical assistance. We were headed down that way and I peeked around the corner to see medical personnel pushing on a man's chest in the hallway. Apparently he had a heart attack. What a way for the passenger to end his cruise. We had 3 other instances where they lowered one of the tenders to take a man off and back to Victoria. The captain turned the ship around to meet the tender. We weren't late to San Francisco, but heard that no boarding until 2:30 p.m.due to the noro virus the ship experienced. We didn't get sick but it was still a PITA to be served by the crew in the buffet.

Edited by elliair

I didn’t see this reported elsewhere, but I’m currently on the Crown Princess May 31 southbound from Whittier to Vancouver and there have been a couple of incidents to keep things exciting.

On Tuesday morning coming into Skagway, we were awakened at 4:30 am by an announcement from the captain broadcast into all the cabins. There was a fire in the engine room, we lost propulsion, and all crew were called to their emergency stations. They also called in tugboats to assist us if needed. After about 10-15 minutes, the captain came back on to say everything had been resolved. Just a little excitement for the passengers, but I felt sorry for the crew who all had to get up at 4:30 then work the next day!

Today (Friday) as we were just north of Vancouver Island, the ship turned around. The captain came on to say that someone had fallen off a fishing boat and was injured. Being the nearest large ship, we were going to assist with our medical staff. We reached the fishing boat, which was alongside a tug pulling a barge. A rescue plane came and two people parachuted out. Then the helicopter came and medivacced the injured person. For those on the June 7 sailing of the Crown, the captain said we would still be on time arriving in Vancouver despite the approx. 2 hour delay.

Thanks for sharing the information. I am glad to hear that the fire incident was nothing major.

We are six family and friends who will be on the Crown in August. Sounds like you enjoyed your cruise. How was the ambience on the ship - captain, crew, service, etc in general? Thanks!

I would feel very safe to sail with this Captain. He did a great job to keep all safe and to give help when needed.

We are six family and friends who will be on the Crown in August. Sounds like you enjoyed your cruise. How was the ambience on the ship - captain, crew, service, etc in general? Thanks!

We had a great time - the crew and service were excellent. The captain was Heikki Laakkonen, and I thought he did a great job. I just arrived home, but I'll maybe try to post a few more observations about the cruise in the next couple of days.

We'll be on the Crown for the Cal Coastal Cruise in October.........glad to hear that the engine room fire incident wasn't too serious......when that fire alarm goes off you wonder how bad it might be.......will be glad to have captain Heikki Laakkonen at the helm!:)

We had a great time - the crew and service were excellent. The captain was Heikki Laakkonen, and I thought he did a great job. I just arrived home, but I'll maybe try to post a few more observations about the cruise in the next couple of days.

Thanks for posting and if you have time to write, it will be great to hear some more comments. Very sorry to hear about the crew member and we extend condolences to the family.