Next installment of trip report -- Ketchikan from the Zuiderdam - June 5, 2014

bumperoo

Ketchikan -- After an exhilarating day in Glacier Bay, we slept like babies. We relaxed and took our time getting ready for our day in Ketchikan.

We went to the MDR and enjoyed a leisurely breakfast. I had the Eggs Benedict with V8 and coffee. Lou chose the Danish Breakfast which had eggs, Gouda cheese and ham on thick bread with a side of Bangers, V8, and coffee. We finished our breakfast and went back to our room to experience our arrival in Ketchikan. It was a treat to see the quaint little town pop into view on the horizon.

We were pleasantly surprised to have the bluest skies welcoming us and temperatures that allowed us to walk around in T-shirts and Jeans. I loved the looks of the walking tour map and we decided to skip any excursions and enjoy the town at a leisurely pace.

As we passed under the "Welcome to Ketchikan" arch, we immediately felt like this lively little town was embracing us with the promise of a good day ahead. We followed our map up Mission Street past St. John's Episcopal Church, the oldest standing church in Ketchikan. In Whale Park, we posed for a picture at the Billingsley clock. The replica of the Chief Johnson totem pole was colorful and rose into the sky with the mountains in the background.

The Thomas Basin is a small boat marina and there was a bevy of activity as fishing boats and yachts navigated the waters. On the far side of the basin, a wood plank street built over the water contained many historic buildings which were once part of the New England Fish Company.

The trail along the Ketchikan Creek provided a peaceful stroll with the sounds of waterfalls and the rolling clear water. Outside the Totem Heritage Center is a massive totem with very detailed carvings. At the City Park, we found a quiet bench and rested for a few minutes. The park contains pretty ponds surrounded by flowers and fountains.

Our rested legs carried us down Deermount Avenue past St. Elizabeth's Church which is now the Ketchikan Mortuary. We passed through the entrance to Creek Street. The former red-light district is now occupied by restaurants and shops all housed in historic buildings. Dolly's house preserves memorabilia from Ketchikan's most successful madam. Cape Fox Lodge Funicular ($2) whisked us up the hill for a nice view of the harbor. As we made our way back, we stopped at the footbridge where we could observe the uniqueness of Creek Street perched on pilings over the stream.

We needed a break and headed down Dock Street and returned to the ship for a late lunch. We had really worked up an appetite, so our Mahi Mahi, Pot Roast and chicken were extra delicious.

Our bellies were full and we were ready for more exploring. We walked along Water Street towards Newtown. The waterfront promenade allowed us to get up close to the various ships in port that day. We doubled back and walked through the tunnel. We shopped in Tongrass Trading Company and found gifts for our grandchildren. After a satisfying day experiencing the charm of Ketchikan, we called it a day and returned to the Zuiderdam.

The Ocean Bar was the perfect place to reward ourselves with a few cocktails before heading to the movie theatre for a screening of "Jack Ryan, Shadow Recruit". We really enjoyed the movie.

The Crow's Nest was our venue of choice for the sailaway from Ketchikan. Our guitarist, Mary was providing some soothing entertainment but once again the room was going to be used for a private party and everyone was asked to leave. We watched Ketchikan's charming little hamlet disappear on the horizon from the Lido Bar.

We retreated to our cabin and got ready for dinner in the MDR. Lou had the French Onion Soup and I enjoyed my bowl of Italian Wedding soup. We shared an anti pasta plate and buffalo mozzarella plate before our entrees arrived. As is our habit, we created a surf and turf by splitting the Sirloin steak braised in Sam Adam's lager and corn flake crusted rainbow trout. Our server had gotten to know our habits during the week and paced our wine and courses perfectly. Lou had to try his first ever pinched pear and I shared my cheese plate with him.

We checked the time and found the nearest deck to watch the sun set after an exhilarating day of exploring.

Although we were tired, we didn't want to miss "Recycled Percussion". As you enter the theatre you are given a drumstick, an instrument and assigned to a team. The group encouraged us to let our inner rock star loose. Whether playing on buckets, ladders, grinders or sinks, Recycled Percussion’s boundless energy and creativity blew us away. We were lucky to be able to sail with these winners of "America's got Talent."

The contagious energy from the show inspired us to look for Regina and the HALcats in the Queen's lounge while we sipped on a nightcap.

We returned to our cabin stepped out on the balcony and said goodnight to the moon. I sank into bed sure that I would dream the night away. However, we were rudely awakened at 3:30 am by the fire alarm. There was a report of smoke in the aft stairwell -- hey, I'm in an aft cabin. We listened to Captain Turner's reassuring voice as he kept us informed throughout the investigation and resolution of the problem. There had been a malfunction with a ventilation fan and at 4:00 we were told to go back to sleep. Yes, it had been quite an exciting day!

Loving your reports!

Two things disturbed me about this one, though..... the fire alarm (of course:eek:!, and the second time of not being allowed to use the Crow's Nest due to a private party. I wonder if this often happens - I had read about private parties in one corner, but not for the whole Crow's Nest.

Loving your reports!

Two things disturbed me about this one' date=' though..... the fire alarm (of course:eek:!, and the second time of not being allowed to use the Crow's Nest due to a private party. I wonder if this often happens - I had read about private parties in one corner, but not for the whole Crow's Nest.[/quote']

There were a few very large tour groups on our sailing, so when they reserved the space it took up the whole front of the Crow's Nest. They would actually come around and ask you to leave or would have a "guard" at the door to monitor who was going in. We were permitted to use the side section where the Explorations Cafe is but it doesn't have the same feel as being up front. This was my only complaint that I mentioned in my welcome home survey. We always managed to move on but it was annoying to us. We would ask how long the room would be in use and come back later.

Bumperoo - Just wanted to thank you again. Great descriptions! DW & I were just saying that your reports sound better than our actual vacations. :)

Thanks -- I am humbled for a compliment from our hero. Your research on the SBP was a hard act to follow!