Anyone back from Celebrity Millennium, Alaska 2014??

shipfriend_max

We went last year and it was excellent. We went southbound. We booked in January 2013 ("wave month" I believe) when they were running a special and for only a few dollars were upgraded to Aqua Class so we were able to eat in speciality dining every night. Food was awesome. Also got free beverage package. Service was outstanding. No complaints whatsoever. We got pretty close to Hubbard Glacier but no calving that day. The entertainment was pretty good and lots of activities. We didn't do any ship excursions and booked everything independently so can't vouch for those although it's most always cheaper to book on your own. The ship was very nice and the room was spacious and a good size balcony. Good storage space too. Icy Strait was very nice and the whale watch we took with Hoonah Adventures (small boat w/a handful of people) was AMAZING!

This Saturday, we're going on Princess (Coral Princess) northbound. Looking forward to seeing Glacier Bay and College Fjord. We may have bee spoiled on the Millenium though! :-) By the way, took HAL on a New England/Canada cruise and it was no where near as good as Celebrity.

We went last year and it was excellent. We went southbound. We booked in January 2013 ("wave month" I believe) when they were running a special and for only a few dollars were upgraded to Aqua Class so we were able to eat in speciality dining every night. Food was awesome. Also got free beverage package. Service was outstanding. No complaints whatsoever. We got pretty close to Hubbard Glacier but no calving that day. The entertainment was pretty good and lots of activities. We didn't do any ship excursions and booked everything independently so can't vouch for those although it's most always cheaper to book on your own. The ship was very nice and the room was spacious and a good size balcony. Good storage space too. Icy Strait was very nice and the whale watch we took with Hoonah Adventures (small boat w/a handful of people) was AMAZING!

This Saturday, we're going on Princess (Coral Princess) northbound. Looking forward to seeing Glacier Bay and College Fjord. We may have bee spoiled on the Millenium though! :-) By the way, took HAL on a New England/Canada cruise and it was no where near as good as Celebrity.

We are taking Millennium next June. What excursions have you booked on your own last year and this year? Thank you!

We are taking Millennium next June. What excursions have you booked on your own last year and this year? Thank you!

Skagway: Chilkoot Charters & Tours (Train up and then up to Yukon and emerald lake by van and van all the way back back) Very good and a much less crowded car on the train than the cruise ship cars. (sit on left going up). Also a lot more flexibility for stopping since we could get in and out quicker than a bus load of people. This year we ARE taking a ship excursion to Haines to the Kroschel Alaska Animal Kingdom because that's the only way you CAN go there during cruise season when cruises are in port.

Juneau: Last year we rented a car from Junea Car Rental. Would never rent from them again so this year we are renting from Avis out of the Goldbelt hotel. Much more flexibility and we are there a LONG time on the Princess cruise.

Ketchikan - Took a Misty Fjords float plane with Misty Fjords Air and it was one of the best experiences of my life! This year, we have no plans in ketchikan.

Make sure you get the Toursaver coupon book and then make your reservations asap. I think the new ones come out around december for the following season (they expire every year). The Northern Lights coupon book is pretty good too but heavy on restaurants and light on tours. They also expire every year.

We were on the north bound Millennium May 23rd. Had a very nice cruise. Calm water all the way. I chose the Millennium expressly for the fourth port day in ISP and was very glad I did. Ship was very clean. Loved our cabin on Deck 3 with floor to ceiling window in the newer section by the conference room.

Our excursions included a whale watch in Hoonah http://www.hoonahwhalewatching.com/

sea kayaking in Juneau http://beyondak.com/trips/tongass-coast-kayak/

ocean raft in Skagway http://oceanraftalaska.com/

and the Rainforest Sanctuary in Ketchikan http://www.alaskarainforest.com/

We also spent some time after the cruise in Seward. My daughter did the KenaiFjords tour, but it was cut short due to rough seas http://www.kenaifjords.com/

We did the marine mammal encounter at the Sealife Center http://www.alaskasealife.org/New/visitors/index.php?page=programs-tours.php

We also did the Mt. Alyeska tram http://www.alyeskaresort.com/resort/about-aerial-tram.aspx

and the Behind the Scenes tour of the Alaska Wildlife Conservation Center http://www.alaskawildlife.org/visit/behind-the-scenes/

oceanraft.jpg.d62798bd2bd411d669d3f517c803776d.jpg

2127041008_MtAlyeska.jpg.1490dcb961ee3eb730534602e68b8d0e.jpg

1307139309_mooseeatingbananas.jpg.7ad78737c43ad4b1e7f80fb5f84b23fc.jpg

735501818_Mammalencounter.jpg.ac6b1b0555e5a7380d8cd0e2f3e387fc.jpg

I didn'r realize that the Wildlife conservation Center had a behind the scenes tour. Can you tell us more about it?

Also, I'd love to add your report to the 2014 List. You don't have to write up anything elaborate .. you could create a new thread then just cut and paste this response to it. (but I'm sure folks would prefer a little more detail on your excursions :))

We were on the north bound Millennium May 23rd. Had a very nice cruise. Calm water all the way. I chose the Millennium expressly for the fourth port day in ISP and was very glad I did. Ship was very clean. Loved our cabin on Deck 3 with floor to ceiling window in the newer section by the conference room.

Our excursions included a whale watch in Hoonah http://www.hoonahwhalewatching.com/

sea kayaking in Juneau http://beyondak.com/trips/tongass-coast-kayak/

ocean raft in Skagway http://oceanraftalaska.com/

and the Rainforest Sanctuary in Ketchikan http://www.alaskarainforest.com/

We also spent some time after the cruise in Seward. My daughter did the KenaiFjords tour, but it was cut short due to rough seas http://www.kenaifjords.com/

We did the marine mammal encounter at the Sealife Center http://www.alaskasealife.org/New/visitors/index.php?page=programs-tours.php

We also did the Mt. Alyeska tram http://www.alyeskaresort.com/resort/about-aerial-tram.aspx

and the Behind the Scenes tour of the Alaska Wildlife Conservation Center http://www.alaskawildlife.org/visit/behind-the-scenes/

How was the Rainforest Sanctuary in Ketchikan? What did you actually see?

I didn'r realize that the Wildlife conservation Center had a behind the scenes tour. Can you tell us more about it?

Also, I'd love to add your report to the 2014 List. You don't have to write up anything elaborate .. you could create a new thread then just cut and paste this response to it. (but I'm sure folks would prefer a little more detail on your excursions :))

The Behind the Scenes tour was $100 pp but I had a 2 for 1 coupon from the Toursaver Book. The tour was supposed to last an hour, but we ended up with almost two hours. We got to see two musk ox babies only a few days old. Their births were not even announced to the public yet. We got to pet and feed their porcupine.

The whole experience was amazing, even though we had temperatures in the low 50s and rain and wind. They took care of us with a hot chocolate break and shelter in their little bus. This tour was the highlight of our whole trip for my daughter, who is crazy for any wildlife. Who knew moose ate bananas?

I have to tell you that I was so impressed by the dedication of the people who work there. I wanted to give our guide a nice tip, but she refused, and asked me to instead spend the money in their gift shop so that the proceeds would go toward caring for the animals. Wow.

Here are pictures of some of the other animals we saw.

801863609_crazyfox.jpg.5a14d16573e6938f33321244ac7d0a84.jpg

porcupine.jpg.8a2bdc6005d4742ee41f7569dbef6664.jpg

reindeer.jpg.3e13817a1108069aabf75e4e54884f26.jpg

How was the Rainforest Sanctuary in Ketchikan? What did you actually see?

I was pleasantly surprised with this tour. DD was going to go snorkeling, but at the last minute decided she wanted to take a hike. This was the only walking tour that wasn't sold out, so off we went. The walk through the forest was nice; led by a biology major who told us all about the forest, banana slugs, etc. I was getting a little bored, but then we stopped to pet and feed some reindeer, and moved on to some birds that came down from the Raptor Center in Sitka. (That's really a nice place, too, if you ever get the chance to visit)

Then we talked for just a couple minutes to a guy who was carving a totem pole, and then we saw an old saw mill, and of course their gift shop. (LOL)

Very nice day. I wish the nature walk was shorter or that we had more time to spend with the animals, but I would go again.

434319934_feedingreindeer.jpg.e8af6159fd8fcadb6c32e49f045ebaf5.jpg

sawmill.jpg.473b8ac94b7832a1686ec0c23d8f49e5.jpg

1379137915_raptorhandler.jpg.c06e378cfc6c906299fa0d04e84a2b73.jpg

Edited by Suzanne123

I was pleasantly surprised with this tour. DD was going to go snorkeling, but at the last minute decided she wanted to take a hike. This was the only walking tour that wasn't sold out, so off we went. The walk through the forest was nice; led by a biology major who told us all about the forest, banana slugs, etc. I was getting a little bored, but then we stopped to pet and feed some reindeer, and moved on to some birds that came down from the Raptor Center in Sitka. (That's really a nice place, too, if you ever get the chance to visit)

Then we talked for just a couple minutes to a guy who was carving a totem pole, and then we saw an old saw mill, and of course their gift shop. (LOL)

Very nice day. I wish the nature walk was shorter or that we had more time to spend with the animals, but I would go again.

Thank you, appreciate the response.

Just a few more pictures from excursions --

Juneau kayaking -- I did this tour last year with DH. We had a different guide and set off in a different area, so I was a little disappointed. We spent quite a bit of time this year just getting our kayaks and all the other gear in the water and pulling it back out to pack the carrier when we were done. It was almost like they weren't expecting us. So last year A+, this year B.

Hoonah Whale Watch -- A++. We saw a couple spouts and a fin. --Would have been a real disappointment, except that we saw so many sea lions, seals, orcas, eagles and even a brown bear that I didn't care. I think our boat held maybe 18 people. Spotless and only a year old. The captain was funny and informative. I just really liked the whole trip. We spent some time watching a brown bear just munching on a fish on the shore.

OceanRaft Skagway -- Another A++ This was my third time on this tour and every year it gets better. This year they added a naturalist and they also have a regular dressing room to hang the orange protective gear and to lock up all your valuables. Tip -- If you remember seeing the Beatles on Ed Sullivan, you belong in the back row where it is a much smoother ride. The black area on the picture are millions of mussels. We saw loads of harbor seals, too.

kayaking.jpg.0fbf7ff04ee658784cf248578d9c20a6.jpg

160546828_harborseals.jpg.00ef46f9c883423c9caded25b01f3649.jpg

mussels.jpg.85e66de4b80d256dcbe0d770d78aa340.jpg

974708190_sealionshoonah.jpg.d3a5b273cb982bf48a7c7d083b33d432.jpg

Thanks for the additional info.... sounds like a winner, with a 2 for 1. Were the bears active while you were there?

So if that was your daughter's highlight, what was yours ?

The bears were hiding, but our guide whistled and they came running to get the hard boiled eggs she threw to them. They are much bigger in person when they are a couple inches from the fence. (LOL)

Gosh, we had so much fun all week. This was my 10th trip to Alaska but watching DD feed those moose has to be one of my best memories, ever.

1587361723_moose2.jpg.c37cc5ed1f40b8b53fd73c5a211488dd.jpg

The Behind the Scenes tour was $100 pp but I had a 2 for 1 coupon from the Toursaver Book. The tour was supposed to last an hour, but we ended up with almost two hours. We got to see two musk ox babies only a few days old. Their births were not even announced to the public yet. We got to pet and feed their porcupine.

The whole experience was amazing, even though we had temperatures in the low 50s and rain and wind. They took care of us with a hot chocolate break and shelter in their little bus. This tour was the highlight of our whole trip for my daughter, who is crazy for any wildlife. Who knew moose ate bananas?

I have to tell you that I was so impressed by the dedication of the people who work there. I wanted to give our guide a nice tip, but she refused, and asked me to instead spend the money in their gift shop so that the proceeds would go toward caring for the animals. Wow.

Here are pictures of some of the other animals we saw.

Did you have to book the behind the scenes tour in advance? My husband would love this.

Thank you!

Did you have to book the behind the scenes tour in advance? My husband would love this.

Thank you!

Yes, I did. They didn't take any money in advance but only asked me to call if I changed my mind. We had the 10:00 tour, and about 8:30, they called me while I was driving to the Center to make sure I was still coming. I think I had a choice of 10:00 or 3:00. They limit the tour to 10 or 12, but the day we went, My DD and I had two guides to ourselves. I also think they had a lower age limit of 12.

Here's a news video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6kDQ2WZEHoM&feature=plcp

Lest the topic gets forgotten...

Maybe any others have been in Alaska with Millennium in 2014 now? :)

Would be great to hear about your experiences!!!

It's a shame that more people don't post a trip report when they return. It doesn't have to be an elaborate blog with a ton of photos. Just a couple of paragraphs about activities, vendors, transfers, hotels, would be appreciated.

Have you looked at the Celebrity forum ? or perhaps Roll Calls of recent trips?

Edited by mapleleaves

Skagway: Chilkoot Charters & Tours (Train up and then up to Yukon and emerald lake by van and van all the way back back) Very good and a much less crowded car on the train than the cruise ship cars. (sit on left going up). Also a lot more flexibility for stopping since we could get in and out quicker than a bus load of people. This year we ARE taking a ship excursion to Haines to the Kroschel Alaska Animal Kingdom because that's the only way you CAN go there during cruise season when cruises are in port.

Juneau: Last year we rented a car from Junea Car Rental. Would never rent from them again so this year we are renting from Avis out of the Goldbelt hotel. Much more flexibility and we are there a LONG time on the Princess cruise.

Ketchikan - Took a Misty Fjords float plane with Misty Fjords Air and it was one of the best experiences of my life! This year, we have no plans in ketchikan.

Make sure you get the Toursaver coupon book and then make your reservations asap. I think the new ones come out around december for the following season (they expire every year). The Northern Lights coupon book is pretty good too but heavy on restaurants and light on tours. They also expire every year.

Just curious...why wouldn't you rent from them again? We have a reservation with them in July...what do I need to know?!?!