Vision of the Seas in Charleston port

Linda, you should be able to get a taxi at the pier and have icy take you up to the Market. It starts on East Bay. Or you could take the taxi to Meeting Street and then walk thru the market to East Bay. Lunch at SNOB (Slightly North Of Broad) is wonderful and they have a daily lunch special for $10.95! Stay away from Hymans. It's always extremely overcrowded often with more than an hour wait!

The best buggy ride is at Palmetto Carriage. Their barn is entered thru the pink building on Market Street between Meeting and East Bay.

You could also get on the free Trolly and ride around!

Cheryl

We'll be in Charleston on the Vision, Wednesday, 20 August 2014. My mom (80+++ who walks with a walker) and I are just hoping we can get off the ship and catch a cab to the historic district. Is that possible? Specifically I was thinking we could head to the Old City Market (Market Hall) and walk around a bit. Maybe get a bite to eat and then head back to the ship. Or... maybe a carriage ride. Any suggestions are appreciated. Mom can walk some but not really long distances. It is also better if it is smooth walking. If the idea of catching a cab is out of the question... or walking at the Market is really difficult... please... if you have any suggestions for us, I will be so very appreciative. I was in Charleston years ago... but walking is not a problem for me. Thank you for any information you can offer!

Charleston is a beautiful and historic city. I believe where the ship docks it's not too far to the historic district. You can easily catch a taxi. If your mother is not up to walking around, take a carriage ride through the district so you and she will be able to enjoy it. The Market is huge, but worth seeing. Maybe Mom can manage walking a little bit of it before catching a cab back to the terminal.

Our friends Darkwolfe and his family are on the current Vision sailing, and I'm sure he will post a review when they get back. He will be able to answer any other questions at that time.

Thank you all so very much for your kind answers and suggestions... I'm looking into all of them... and we'll decide what try and do. The heat will play a big roll in deciding what we do. And.. we'll wait to see what DarkWolf and the others post upon their return from the June cruise . Thank you again for all your help!

We'll be in Charleston on the Vision, Wednesday, 20 August 2014. My mom (80+++ who walks with a walker) and I are just hoping we can get off the ship and catch a cab to the historic district. Is that possible? Specifically I was thinking we could head to the Old City Market (Market Hall) and walk around a bit. Maybe get a bite to eat and then head back to the ship. Or... maybe a carriage ride. Any suggestions are appreciated. Mom can walk some but not really long distances. It is also better if it is smooth walking. If the idea of catching a cab is out of the question... or walking at the Market is really difficult... please... if you have any suggestions for us, I will be so very appreciative. I was in Charleston years ago... but walking is not a problem for me. Thank you for any information you can offer!

Not only is it hot in Charleston it is HUMID!! I would suggest arranging for a closed coach tour - there are quite a few air conditioned vans doing tours of the historic area. The Old City Market is not air conditioned for the most part and is crowded and uneven. You might pop in after a tour of the city - but I would not stay long with your mom.

Check the Charleston visitors guide website - there are many tour companies that are not overly expensive and should pick up at the dock.

You could do a carriage ride and lunch with your Mom, drop her back at the ship, and then go back out and walk the market yourself. It's not far from the ship. ;)

Well, you probably could get on in Charleston if you missed your plane to Ft. Lauderdale. Problem is that the ship won't drop you back in Charleston at the end of the cruise.

Haha...didn't think of that! I guess ending up in FLL would not be a bad thing, though. :D

Edited by Iamthesea

We will also be on the Vision 8/18 cruise to Bermuda and stop there. Hope it's not too wicked hot and humid.

Our Serenade repo from Quebec to Ft. Lauderdale will also stop in Charleston on Saturday, Oct. 31, 2015.

Rick and Deirdra

Edited by Pumbaamd

Add me to the list that wishes more ships sailed out of Charleston. It would make cruising a lot easier for us.

Unfortunately, I think the historic preservationists may win on this one. I'm with you in that I'd like a RCCL or X to have Charleston as it's home port.

Cheryl