Have you ever ASKED for an upgrade/upsell?

Momsbuyer

Many people have. And in the vast majority of cases, they will quote you the difference between the fare you paid and the fare for that class at the time you booked, NOT the current price, unless you want to cancel and rebook (and lose any applicable deposits, seating blocs, etc).

Just wondering if it is possible to ask to be upgraded or for an up-sell (say to a suite from a balcony)

Many people have. And in the vast majority of cases, they will quote you the difference between the fare you paid and the fare for that class at the time you booked, NOT the current price, unless you want to cancel and rebook (and lose any applicable deposits, seating blocs, etc).
Right. Supply and demand has a lot to do with it but most likely, you'll be quoted the difference between the current fare and the one you've booked. You are far better off finding a good TA and booking what you want at the best price rather than booking directly and hoping for an upgrade or upsell.

Keep in mind that unless there's a Flash sale and a lot of cabins remaining unsold by final payment, prices will go up, not down.

Keep in mind that unless there's a Flash sale and a lot of cabins remaining unsold by final payment, prices will go up, not down.

This is key - on our cruise coming up there was still empty inventory. Princess sent out an up-sell offer - we already paid more then the flash sale price - my awesome TA said she'd called Princess and see... I doubt it'll ever happen again but we got upgraded from an inside to a balcony when she complained to Princess.

So it can happen - but rare :)

never hurts to ask. When we did Ruby in Jan, I wrote and told them it was my DH's 70th birthday and if there were any available cabins would love an upgrade. Then they came out with the sale they did and I figured there was no way on earth an upgrade was going to happen. 4 days before the cruise I happened to look at our reservation and we had been upgraded from our OV to a Balcony. I was shocked and so very excited! Rare that it happens, but it sure is nice when it does:p

Just wondering if it is possible to ask to be upgraded or for an up-sell (say to a suite from a balcony)

When there has been a price drop (before final payment) that doesn't affect our booking like loosing the deposit, we have upgraded our cabin category and been refared when there is a difference. Whether this is what you meant, I'm not sure.

If you don't ask, you won't know the answer :D

Princess sent out an up-sell offer - we already paid more then the flash sale price - my awesome TA said she'd called Princess and see... I doubt it'll ever happen again but we got upgraded from an inside to a balcony when she complained to Princess.

Once again, the value of a good TA.

We asked on our very first cruise fom a mini to a full suite and we were quoted the standard price difference which we declined. A week later our TA called and told us that Princess upgraded us to a full suite, midship Caribe deck at no additional cost. We didn't decline this time! I think this was Princesses way of getting first timers hooked on suites and cruising in general. I'll never forgive them - haha!

Fares went down recently on our non refundable deposit ten day booked cruise. Our TA asked for an upgrade for our premium balcony to a mini suite. Princess refused but did offer upsell for $80 pp, which we were happy to take.

Edited by bigenna

I contacted them about 2 years ago when Med. Fares where dropping like crazy. Told them we already had the air as we were doing a land trip and if they'd give me deal on a balcony on Ruby (Grand Med.) I'd be willing to switch my land trip to a cruise. They did call me back but we didn't really get anywhere but then about a month later the specific sailing we were asking about had a flash sale of a $1,199 for a balcony, we jumped on it.

Edited by Cruise Junky

We asked on our very first cruise fom a mini to a full suite and we were quoted the standard price difference which we declined. A week later our TA called and told us that Princess upgraded us to a full suite, midship Caribe deck at no additional cost. We didn't decline this time! I think this was Princesses way of getting first timers hooked on suites and cruising in general. I'll never forgive them - haha!

Hook, Line & Sinker! :D Boy will you ever get over it? I doubt it, we never have!:eek: