young boy's aged 11 and 16 smart shorts mdr

I wore shorts to Chops and the MDR on my last cruise and will continue to. the old fashion days of being all fromal and suffy are long gone. Welcome to the new , modern, relaxed days of cruising! :D:D:D

Wear what you want; if they ask you to put on long pants, then be prepared for it.

You many think your "modern, relaxed" style is the "new normal", but like I said above, about 90% of the passengers on the cruises I'm on still don't dress like you for dinner.

I wore shorts to Chops and the MDR on my last cruise and will continue to. the old fashion days of being all fromal and suffy are long gone. Welcome to the new , modern, relaxed days of cruising! :D:D:D

And the rules don't apply to you, why?? Unbelievable!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

I wish people would clarify what their particular issue is.

Is it the rule breaking?

Or is it the shorts?

People seem to be saying that if the rule was changed, they wouldn't have a problem with shorts.

So the problem isn't the shorts themselves; it seems to be that people hold the rule in higher regard than the garment. Am I interpreting this correctly?

And the rules don't apply to you, why?? Unbelievable!

How is it a RULE, when it is allowed??? I wasnt told to change, and I have enough cruises under my belt to be "prepared" just in case I am told to change. But again, RCI isnt telling anyone to change unless they roll in looking a hot mess.

Is it the rule breaking?

Or is it the shorts?

People seem to be saying that if the rule was changed, they wouldn't have a problem with shorts.

So the problem isn't the shorts themselves; it seems to be that people hold the rule in higher regard than the garment. Am I interpreting this correctly?

No you're not. I definitely prefer that they keep the rule as is - and enforce it better. I think requiring at least a pair of long pants helps to keep the ambiance of the MDR at nicer levels. Essentially everyone wants there to be rules to keep the ambiance at nicer levels, but they want rules and the bar set at different levels. If what others wear has NO effect whatsoever, then there's no reason to also allow bare feet, swim suits, robes, bare feet, etc. etc.

Now if RCI were to change the rule, than I would have no legitimate complaint about those wearing shorts, because RCI gets to set the rules. So its not that if the rule were changed I'd have no problem with shorts - its if the rule were changed I'd have no legitimate complaint.

Hopefully you can comprehend the difference.

Is it the rule breaking?

Or is it the shorts?

I know what your saying, but I think the psychology goes a bit deeper than that. I think a some people don't like the shorts, but finding the position a little silly and difficult to defend they fall back on the rule. This rule that they claim to be so inflexible and unchangeable.

It will be interesting what is said when the rule does in fact change. The only real question in my mind on the subject is how long until they do change it.

How is it a RULE, when it is allowed??? I wasnt told to change, and I have enough cruises under my belt to be "prepared" just in case I am told to change. But again, RCI isnt telling anyone to change unless they roll in looking a hot mess.

Nope, not true. Its absolutely true that the rule is not uniformly enforced, but on some ships with some staff, it IS enforced and people ARE turned away and told to change, even if their shorts are claimed to be of the "high IQ" variety...

Now if RCI were to change the rule, than I would have no legitimate complaint about those wearing shorts, because RCI gets to set the rules. So its not that if the rule were changed I'd have no problem with shorts - its if the rule were changed I'd have no legitimate complaint.

I'd still consider your opinion/complaint valid. Just because something is a certain way you don't have to like it. It's perfectly legitimate to air complaints over rules you don't agree with.

Is it the rule breaking?

Or is it the shorts?

I come from the point of view that if people ask a question about this, they deserve an informed answer. I post what I observe on my cruises, and I cruise a lot, so I see a lot of people in the dining rooms on cruise ships.

The minority that post here on CruiseCritic push their agendas (sp??), whether it's contrary to the suggested dress for the night, or in favor of it.

I think that most people want to look appropriate to the venue where they are dining, so by telling them what most passengers wear, they can make up their minds about what to do.

There are always going to be passengers (and posters here) that are "contrary", wear whatever they want regardless of what others wear or think, and boast about it. As long as they are prepared to either change their clothes or dine in the buffet, then they can decide whatever they want.

I think a some people don't like the shorts, but finding the position a little silly and difficult to defend they fall back on the rule. This rule that they claim to be so inflexible and unchangeable.

Good point. And that's all good and fine; but a lot of people give off a mixed/muddled message about it, so it's difficult to tell what exactly their grievance or issue is.

Nope, not true. Its absolutely true that the rule is not uniformly enforced, but on some ships with some staff, it IS enforced and people ARE turned away and told to change, even if their shorts are claimed to be of the "high IQ" variety...

Where is your proof they are turned away because they are wearing dress shorts? What ships are strictly enforcing this "rule".

I now suggest you take a look at what Adam Goldstein has to say about the dress codes and the gray areas around it. http://www.royalcaribbean.com/connect/blog/enforcing-the-dress-code-in-the-main-dining-room/

I come from the point of view that if people ask a question about this, they deserve an informed answer. I post what I observe on my cruises, and I cruise a lot, so I see a lot of people in the dining rooms on cruise ships.

I can certainly appreciate first hand perspective. I've never worn shorts in MDR for dinner, but I would like to. Therefore I am in the camp of I would like the rules amended, although I have not "broken the rules" in the past. Like I have said in other threads, if RCI wants to split the dining room, offer table service in WJ, or another casual sit down table service venue included with the fare, I'd be game. I want greater comfort, less luggage, more freedom, and to be served the dinner I paid for with my cruise fare. Therefore I support a rule change. If because of a rule change some people come in like slobs or are messy, well, that's unfortunate but that's what comes with the territory. I can't be worried about regulating what every other passenger is doing.

I'll continue to respect whatever the rule is, but i will also continue to lobby for change.

It is a rule but honestly, RCI shouldn't have to enforce it. It is clearly published. If someone is comfortable disregarding the policy, I'm guessing they would feel equally comfortable making a scene when asked to change.

If wearing shorts is that critical to someone, I say it isn't worth the argument.

I can certainly appreciate first hand perspective. I've never worn shorts in MDR for dinner, but I would like to. Therefore I am in the camp of I would like the rules amended, although I have not "broken the rules" in the past. Like I have said in other threads, if RCI wants to split the dining room, offer table service in WJ, or another casual sit down table service venue included with the fare, I'd be game. I want greater comfort, less luggage, more freedom, and to be served the dinner I paid for with my cruise fare. Therefore I support a rule change. If because of a rule change some people come in like slobs or are messy, well, that's unfortunate but that's what comes with the territory. I can't be worried about regulating what every other passenger is doing.

I'll continue to respect whatever the rule is, but i will also continue to lobby for change.

I pretty much feel the same way. I don't really care what the dress code is but as long as "shorts are prohibited", I think the policy should be respected.

For me, it's not a matter of the "rule" -- I find it mind-boggling that someone would even feel the slightest bit comfortable walking into a beautiful, elegant venue like the MDR wearing shorts... And find it terribly sad that parents aren't using situations like dinner on a cruise ship as opportunities to teach their children about dressing appropriately for different settings. And then as a society we're befuddled when some young person shows up for a job interview in wrinkled clothes and flip-flops.

And I'm sorry, you can add a belt or pleats or bedazzle the things -- but shorts are still shorts. AND, we're just talking about dinner here, for pete's sake! Just put some grownup clothes on for a couple of hours, add to the ambience around you, then go change! Seriously, how lazy can people be?? :confused:

Where is your proof they are turned away because they are wearing dress shorts? What ships are strictly enforcing this "rule".

I now suggest you take a look at what Adam Goldstein has to say about the dress codes and the gray areas around it. http://www.royalcaribbean.com/connect/blog/enforcing-the-dress-code-in-the-main-dining-room/

Very interesting reading. Trends do change, and I think the rule (by whatever definition) will be changed soon. It is becoming more relaxed, as is every area on a cruise.

A good example is my daughters PE / sports kit for school. What she wears now is practical and comfortable, and I think dining will go the same way. In my opinion, the food and company is the most important part of a meal.

For the majority a cruise is a welcome break from the pressures of normal life. There are those who want to dress up because they don't do that in normal life, and there are those who just enjoy that part of the cruise.

There are those who want to dress up because they don't do that in normal life, and there are those who just enjoy that part of the cruise.

We aren't really talking about "dressing up". We are talking about wearing pants vs shorts. You can dress casually and still be wearing pants.

For me, it's not a matter of the "rule" -- I find it mind-boggling that someone would even feel the slightest bit comfortable walking into a beautiful, elegant venue like the MDR wearing shorts... And find it terribly sad that parents aren't using situations like dinner on a cruise ship as opportunities to teach their children about dressing appropriately for different settings. And then as a society we're befuddled when some young person shows up for a job interview in wrinkled clothes and flip-flops.

And I'm sorry, you can add a belt or pleats or bedazzle the things -- but shorts are still shorts. AND, we're just talking about dinner here, for pete's sake! Just put some grownup clothes on for a couple of hours, add to the ambience around you, then go change! Seriously, how lazy can people be?? :confused:

I don't think its laziness, I just don't think they find it ultra important. It might be a big part of your holiday, and a learning experience for your children, but others have different priorities. Do you think women should wear tights (stockings) in the MDR?

We aren't really talking about "dressing up". We are talking about wearing pants vs shorts. You can dress casually and still be wearing pants.

But really is there any difference - a man wearing shorts and a woman wearing an above the knee dress?

My "proof" is the many posters who have posted here in the many dress code threads about having personally witnessed people being turned away. If you haven't seen those posts, it can only be because you don't want to see them.

And yes, I've read that blog from Goldstein, its fairly old at this point. I'll note that one of the very early sentences says "If the dining room staff notices guests entering the dining room who are not dressed according to the guidelines they should notify the guest." I guess you didn't want to see that either, huh? ;)

But really is there any difference - a man wearing shorts and a woman wearing an above the knee dress?

Yes, I do think there is a difference. And apparently, so does Royal Caribbean. But, as I said earlier, I don't personally have an issue with shorts in the dining room. But I think if there is a "shorts are prohibited" policy, it should be respected.

A good example is my daughters PE / sports kit for school. What she wears now is practical and comfortable, and I think dining will go the same way.

Interesting - and telling - that you equate what your daughter wears for PE with what should be worn for dinner on the ship. :rolleyes:

I don't think its laziness, I just don't think they find it ultra important. It might be a big part of your holiday, and a learning experience for your children, but others have different priorities. Do you think women should wear tights (stockings) in the MDR?

What in the world to stockings have to do with anything? If I missed the part where Royal says women without stockings are prohibited from the MDR for dinner the way they say shorts are prohibited from the MDR for dinner, please enlighten me...

Not all traffic laws are uniformly enforced, but they still are the rules of the road.

If you do not wish to follow the cruiselines "dress code" then sail on a Cruiseline that allows you to dress in the manner most comfortable to you.

Interesting - and telling - that you equate what your daughter wears for PE with what should be worn for dinner on the ship. :rolleyes:

What in the world to stockings have to do with anything? If I missed the part where Royal says women without stockings are prohibited from the MDR for dinner the way they say shorts are prohibited from the MDR for dinner, please enlighten me...

Forgive me for thinking outside the box and looking practically. Sportswear has become more casual over the years so that people can actually play their sports better, with the main emphasis being the sport not the c,othes (ie, the food and company, rather than the clothes).

And is there any difference between a short skirt and shorts, rule aside, in the dining room. Yes a rule is a rule etc, but that's why I believe it needs to be removed.

Yes, I do think there is a difference. And apparently, so does Royal Caribbean. But, as I said earlier, I don't personally have an issue with shorts in the dining room. But I think if there is a "shorts are prohibited" policy, it should be respected.

At some point, short skirts became acceptable, and trends changed. I believe that will happen with shorts too.

Im glad trends practically change. Otherwise I would have to go down for dinner tonight in a corset and 15 layers of petticoat, head to foot in frills. In this heat.