young boy's aged 11 and 16 smart shorts mdr

Awhile back, a lady here asked if her nephew was allowed to wear shorts to the MDR.

This part is very important.

At that time no further details were given.

About an hour later when a bunch of people said that there was a dress code (including me), the lady informs us that in fact her nephew is autistic and refuses to wear long pants. Lucky for me I had not posted something to the effect of; "one can always tell which children will be more likely to be successful in life (by being able to fit into society's norms and and customs) and which ones will end up to be working for them."

I would have felt bad had I posted that about her "special needs" kid especially after all the shaming of us that were now evil people.

All in all, we all chose everyday which rules to follow and which not to.

EXAMPLE:

However, if your child goes on a job interview for a banking firm wearing a tie dyed shirt, shorts, and flip flops do not be surprised if they are still living in your basement at age thirty.

Ironically, as a child I hated wearing shirts and ties along with dress shoes. Then again, I now do quite nicely because I wear shirts and ties, and dress shoes. Your milage may vary as gardeners do quite well in my area.

No. Children shouldn't be any different from adults in terms of dress in the dining room. A 16 yr old is a young adult, IMO. Also, RC has set the guidelines. The dining room is an elegant environment with nicely set tables and a several course meal menu. It's not a bling-blinged out Carnival cruise.

My boys always wear pants with a button down in the dining room. On occasion, maybe a polo with the pants.

I think it's setting an example and laying a foundation for appropriate behavior and values, and I'm not an older parent by any means.

Now was that really necessary? How snarky.

I don't think so at all. Children need to be taught - and one thing they should not be taught is that rules do not apply to them. The rule (not suggestion - rule) clearly states no shorts in the MDR at dinner and also states that children need to follow the same rules as adults. Don't understand why so many people have difficulty reading and comprehending this.

OP, your sons can wear shorts.

Some people here are very bothered by this fact and will tell you all the reasons why they shouldn't wear shorts, including accusing you of bad parenting if you allow it.

Bottom line, it is your decision. The rules say no shorts. The rules are not enforced. If you or your son are the type of person then cares about this then wear long pants. Many people their age will be in shorts. My son is 13 and wears shorts. I personally do not view how to dress on vacation as the time for a learning experience or an indication of later success in life. It is vacation. Ultimately either will be accepted and what you choose to do for your family is up to you.

Edited by deedeetoo
typo

OP, your sons can wear shorts.

Som people here are very bothered by this fact and will tell you all the reasons why they shouldn't wear shorts, including accusing you of bad parenting if you allow it.

Bottom line, it is your decision. The rules say no shorts. The rules are not enforced. If you or your son are the type of person then cares about this then wear long pants. Many people their age will be in shorts. My son is 13 and wears shorts. I personally do not view how to dress on vacation as the time for a learning experience or an indication of later success in life. It is vacation. Ultimately either will be accepted and what you choose to do for your family is up to you.

OP, you should only go with this advice if you want to ignore the posted rules (not suggestions) that RCI clearly states, teach your boys (especially the 16 year old) that they don't have to follow rules, and risk being stopped at the entrance & asked to go change, which DOES happen - not all the time, but sometimes.

Sent from my Galaxy S4 via Tapatalk

Some RCI ship maitre d' staff members will turn away guests who wear shorts to the main dining room for dinner. Those who tell you otherwise are speaking of their experiences on ships they have sailed or are making assumptions. I have been on two RCI sailings where shorts were not allowed, strictly enforced. That's two out of five. And these were sailings to the Bahamas and the Caribbean. Only mentioning it so you can be prepared for the possibility.

My son wears dark jeans and a nice shirt. He's a teen. When he was much younger, under 10yo, we did allow him to wear khaki shorts to the MDR. We are horrible parents. :)

I'm always surprised when folks don't know what smart shorts are. Visit a country club ... You'll see many examples of nice shorts with polos.

To the OP ... Have a great cruise!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I don't think so at all. Children need to be taught - and one thing they should not be taught is that rules do not apply to them. The rule (not suggestion - rule) clearly states no shorts in the MDR at dinner and also states that children need to follow the same rules as adults. Don't understand why so many people have difficulty reading and comprehending this.

+4. And that was not a snarky comment.

Last year we took our 10 DD and 16 DS on their first cruise. Both were dressed as the code suggests. My daughter wore dresses. My son wore dress pants and shirts.

Teaching them how to dress and act at dinner is all part of growing up. No matter what the age. Was there extra cost to me to provide the clothing? Yes, but I considered that part of the expense of the trip.

+3 :)

What does DD and DS stand for?

What does DD and DS stand for?

DS = Dear Son

DD = Dear Daughter

DW = Dear Wife

DH = Dear Husband

TA = Travel Agent or

Transatlantic (sailing

OP = Original Poster

PP = Prior Poster

:)

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Edited by nana541

"smart shorts" means someone is trying to up-talk shorts and make them sound classy.

My son wears dark jeans and a nice shirt. He's a teen. When he was much younger, under 10yo, we did allow him to wear khaki shorts to the MDR. We are horrible parents. :)

I'm always surprised when folks don't know what smart shorts are. Visit a country club ... You'll see many examples of nice shorts with polos.

To the OP ... Have a great cruise!

I belong to a country club here. Yes, you see lots of 'nice' shorts there (the rules allow them, unlike in the MDR on RCI ships.) But I've never heard anyone refer to them as "smart shorts." The poster I quoted first has it correct. :rolleyes:

Edited by LetsGetWet!

I belong to a country club here. Yes, you see lots of 'nice' shorts there (the rules allow them, unlike in the MDR on RCI ships.) But I've never heard anyone refer to them as "smart shorts." The poster I quoted first has it correct. :rolleyes:

Thanks for the clarification on nice shorts versus smart shorts! Very, very helpful.

I was responding to the poster who asked for examples of smart shorts. I'm not advocating people wear them in the MDR. So you can relax now. :)

Edited by ksawyercruiser

So, there is a rule that says no shorts are allowed. Are jeans acceptable? What about a shirt without a collar? Do the rules address those things?

Jeans are acceptable. There are no rules on shirts except no tank tops for males.

In the past few years, the dress code has relaxed to the point that I've not seen anyone refused admittance to the main dining room. In February on formal night men in blue jeans and white under shirts with cigarettes roll up in the sleeve of the undershirt walked in and no one said a word. Several other men wore shorts and tee shirts. Gone, it seems, are suggested dress codes.

I wish i had never asked! as for the poster saying he has a driving license at 16, it's 17 in uk!! I think i get the idea now.

Don't feel bad for asking, better to find out here than on the ship when it might be too late.

The simplest answer is that shorts are explicitly forbidden. It's up to you whether thou want to follow that rule or risk being turned away. The maitre D might be more understanding for a small child of.6, but I wouldn't expect leeway for an older teenager of 16.

Edited by BekkaW

I don't care what other kids wear...but my son has been cruising since before he was 2 and will be 8 on our next cruise....I always pack a pair of dark denims/khakis plus formal wear. No shorts in the dining room....I took that to mean for everyone.