young boy's aged 11 and 16 smart shorts mdr

I think men look absolutely fab on a 'hot holiday' in cotton shorts and a gingham shirt. And certainly very gentlemanly, with an air of confidence.

As for telling your kids how to dress like a gentleman' as they go through their teenage years, I have seen many a pompous fellow in a suit, no manners, arrogant and rude. So, being a gentleman is not just about what they wear.

If people want to wear more bulky clothes, that's fine. But don't degrade teenagers for not being gents just because they wear shorts. I think cotton shorts cover much more than what some women wear - low tips, short skirts, make up as thick as the surface of the earth.

Why are shorts worse than a mini skirt?

My teenage boys like the style now of the pastel shorts and gingham or oxford shirts. It's a nice dressy look which would be nice for casual nights on a cruise ship. And, honestly, the staff would not turn away a teen or child wearing such a look, now people on cruise critic......:eek: They both go to prep school, and they are even allowed to wear it there as part as their dress code, as long as it's not formal day in which a blazer is required. So they do understand and are made to dress appropriately when the situation warrants.

I agree with you here.

My teenage boys like the style now of the pastel shorts and gingham or oxford shirts. It's a nice dressy look which would be nice for casual nights on a cruise ship. And, honestly, the staff would not turn away a teen or child wearing such a look, now people on cruise critic......:eek: They both go to prep school, and they are even allowed to wear it there as part as their dress code, as long as it's not formal day in which a blazer is required. So they do understand and are made to dress appropriately when the situation warrants.

Why do we want teenagers dressing like old men?

When I married, my 3 teenage nephews came to the wedding in suits. Although I thought they looked smart, they were uncomfortable. It was a summer wedding so I told them to go and put their shorts on. They look so much better in what they feel is 'smart' for their generation.

Why do we want teenagers dressing like old men?

When I married, my 3 teenage nephews came to the wedding in suits. Although I thought they looked smart, they were uncomfortable. It was a summer wedding so I told them to go and put their shorts on. They look so much better in what they feel is 'smart' for their generation.

You are totally missing the point which is that shorts (smart, stupid or otherwise) are simply not permitted in the MDR at dinner. Those are the rules, not suggestions. You may dictate the dress at your own wedding, but on the ship, the cruiseline dictates the rules.

You are totally missing the point which is that shorts (smart, stupid or otherwise) are simply not permitted in the MDR at dinner. Those are the rules, not suggestions. You may dictate the dress at your own wedding, but on the ship, the cruiseline dictates the rules.

But those who follow the rules also have subjective opinions on why they are following them. I'm saying that not wearing shorts doesn't make you look less smart, or less of a gentleman etc.

Yes it's a rule (in my opinion one that could be modified) but its no-one else business than the rule makers and the passenger.

And also I'm saying its not an equal rule, as women show even more flesh, sometimes.

Edited by Adayatatime

There are no rules, just suggested guidelines per the RC website. If they want to wear shorts, go for it. I do agree that the shorts should be of the nicer variety and no gym shorts, but they will be fine. On our last cruise, I wore shorts to the MDR twice and never had an issue. I may do the same this cruise.

There are no rules, just suggested guidelines per the RC website. If they want to wear shorts, go for it. I do agree that the shorts should be of the nicer variety and no gym shorts, but they will be fine. On our last cruise, I wore shorts to the MDR twice and never had an issue. I may do the same this cruise.

Absolutely FALSE. The RULES about shorts state that they're prohibited, plain and simple. On the other hand, formal night dress is suggested.

Sent from my Galaxy S4 via Tapatalk

Absolutely FALSE. The RULES about shorts state that they're prohibited, plain and simple. On the other hand, formal night dress is suggested.

Sent from my Galaxy S4 via Tapatalk

Here is the exact wording from RC, no where does it say they are prohibited or these are hard and fast rules:

What are the dress codes onboard? s.gif A: There are three distinct types of evenings onboard: casual, smart casual and formal. Suggested guidelines for these nights are: con_bulletgray_ico.gif Casual: Sport shirts and slacks for men, sundresses or pants for women con_bulletgray_ico.gif Smart Casual: Jackets and ties for men, dresses or pantsuits for women con_bulletgray_ico.gif Formal: Suits and ties or tuxedos for men, cocktail dresses for women

Here is the exact wording from RC, no where does it say they are prohibited or these are hard and fast rules:

What are the dress codes onboard? s.gif A: There are three distinct types of evenings onboard: casual, smart casual and formal. Suggested guidelines for these nights are: con_bulletgray_ico.gif Casual: Sport shirts and slacks for men, sundresses or pants for women con_bulletgray_ico.gif Smart Casual: Jackets and ties for men, dresses or pantsuits for women con_bulletgray_ico.gif Formal: Suits and ties or tuxedos for men, cocktail dresses for women

True and here's exact wording from every cruise compass I've seen: "Please note that bare feet, short pants, and tank tops are not permitted for dinner"

To paraphrase Forrest Gump..."I'm not a smart man, but I know what 'not permitted' means." Will the fashion gestapo bar you from the MDR if you're wearing shorts? No but there is definitely a rule against shorts in the MDR at dinner, regardless of age. Not saying it's right or wrong, but there it is.

Don't forget, those that wear military uniform or dress to represent nationality (Scottish kilt) are technically breaking guidelines. While very nice these sorts of dress are neither suit nor tuxedo. That's a fact willfully ignored or purposely overlooked by the vacation police.

Is a rule really a rule if it is not enforced? Of course in life it is, but we are talking about how to dress on a cruise ship;). If it is not enforced by those making the rule, then what is the point?

Is a rule really a rule if it is not enforced? Of course in life it is, but we are talking about how to dress on a cruise ship;). If it is not enforced by those making the rule, then what is the point?

They make it a rule because the vast majority of the people will follow it, so it does have the intended effect. A small percentage don't, and they've chosen not to make those people mad by being super strict about the rule.

Don't forget, those that wear military uniform or dress to represent nationality (Scottish kilt) are technically breaking guidelines. While very nice these sorts of dress are neither suit nor tuxedo. That's a fact willfully ignored or purposely overlooked by the vacation police.

Yet again, you are not understanding the difference between a "suggested guideline" and a "rule." Huge difference. Say the "suggested guideline" in my state is to travel at a speed that is "reasonable and prudent" - BUT there is also the speed limit law. If the posted speed limit is 25 mph, it doesn't matter that I feel that because it is a very wide road with no traffic, it is reasonable and prudent for me to go 45 mph on that road - I'm breaking a law. Now, then, if the police choose to not enforce the law and look the other way 9 out of 10 times, I can't argue that because they did not give me a ticket those 9 times that the law is not valid on the 10th occasion when I do get a ticket.

Yet again, you are not understanding the difference between a "suggested guideline" and a "rule." Huge difference. Say the "suggested guideline" in my state is to travel at a speed that is "reasonable and prudent" - BUT there is also the speed limit law. If the posted speed limit is 25 mph, it doesn't matter that I feel that because it is a very wide road with no traffic, it is reasonable and prudent for me to go 45 mph on that road - I'm breaking a law. Now, then, if the police choose to not enforce the law and look the other way 9 out of 10 times, I can't argue that because they did not give me a ticket those 9 times that the law is not valid on the 10th occasion when I do get a ticket.

How come RCI does not kick women out for wearing Capris? Aren't those "short pants" and against the rules? Honest question.

True and here's exact wording from every cruise compass I've seen: "Please note that bare feet, short pants, and tank tops are not permitted for dinner"

To paraphrase Forrest Gump..."I'm not a smart man, but I know what 'not permitted' means." Will the fashion gestapo bar you from the MDR if you're wearing shorts? No but there is definitely a rule against shorts in the MDR at dinner, regardless of age. Not saying it's right or wrong, but there it is.

How old is your cruise compass, here is the wording from a recent one and it does not say they are not permitted.

8O77pQt8WhgAAAABJRU5ErkJggg==

It says they are recommended, which is a suggestion, not a rule.

Edited by ratpackx5

I have been on maybe 10 RCL cruises. I see people dressed however they want, it does nothing to impact my dining experience in any way, shape or form. I either enjoy the company I am with and my food, or I don't. What some guy three tables away decides to wear around the bottom half of his body has no bearing on anything...it doesn't make me feel better or worse about myself nor my experience.

I remember years ago reading the threads about jeans and actually worrying about it...until I got on the ship and realized in the real, non-cruise critic world, no one pays attention nor cares.

I just don't understand why some seem to care.

How old is your cruise compass, here is the wording from a recent one and it does not say they are not permitted.

8O77pQt8WhgAAAABJRU5ErkJggg==

It says they are recommended, which is a suggestion, not a rule.

Not sure why the image isn't showing up, but the exact wording is:

Please note that bare feet, short pants, caps and tank tops are not recommended in the dining rooms or any of our specialty restaurants.

I have been on maybe 10 RCL cruises. I see people dressed however they want, it does nothing to impact my dining experience in any way, shape or form. I either enjoy the company I am with and my food, or I don't. What some guy three tables away decides to wear around the bottom half of his body has no bearing on anything...it doesn't make me feel better or worse about myself nor my experience.

I remember years ago reading the threads about jeans and actually worrying about it...until I got on the ship and realized in the real, non-cruise critic world, no one pays attention nor cares.

I just don't understand why some seem to care.

I agree with you, I just don't get where people get that this is a rule. I have seen nothing written or any physical proof that you cannot dress as you would like as so many are posting here on CC. Maybe in the past it was, but as everyone should know, things change. The cruise industry is changing to suit the future cruising customers and things are a lot more casual now than in the past.

Not sure why the image isn't showing up, but the exact wording is:

Please note that bare feet, short pants, caps and tank tops are not recommended in the dining rooms or any of our specialty restaurants.

Interesting, I stand corrected then. Not sure if they've softened the wording or if it varies by ship. Strange wording since I assume they wouldn't allow you in the MDR with bare feet, or at least I hope not.

In any case they don't enforce the rule anyway, so they are depending on the guests to follow the guidelines out of politeness and good manners, which the vast majority do.

This argument will be moot within a year or so I'm guessing anyway. RC will probably do what Disney recently did and remove the no shorts at dinner rule/guideline. Tastes have changed and more people want a more casual experience on the ship. Formal nights are on the way out too within a few years. Dynamic Dining is already a big step in that direction.

Not wanting to join another "dress" thread, however, I believe that military uniforms would be considered a suit (jacket/tie) or dress, as opposed to the camo type uniforms worn on a daily basis. They are a suit - just as a businessman would wear a suit.

Have seen many military personnel wearing the short jacket, bow tie, etc. which is definitely military formal. Maybe someone else can clarify. Regardless military uniforms look great and should be worn with pride and honor.

Vacation police are not overlooking them - military uniform is a suit/tuxedo depending on which uniform is worn.

Interesting, I stand corrected then. Not sure if they've softened the wording or if it varies by ship. Strange wording since I assume they wouldn't allow you in the MDR with bare feet, or at least I hope not.

In any case they don't enforce the rule anyway, so they are depending on the guests to follow the guidelines out of politeness and good manners, which the vast majority do.

This argument will be moot within a year or so I'm guessing anyway. RC will probably do what Disney recently did and remove the no shorts at dinner rule/guideline. Tastes have changed and more people want a more casual experience on the ship. Formal nights are on the way out too within a few years. Dynamic Dining is already a big step in that direction.

This is from the Allure in April, so I would assume that if it is on their highest class ships, it will be everywhere. I will agree with everyone that there needs to be some minimum restrictions like bare feet, have to have a shirt on at least and perhaps even the tank tops, but a more causal experience is better for me when I vacation. I rarely wear long pants in my normal day to day life, so I definitely do not want to go on vacation and have to wear them.

What does DD and DS stand for?

I like to say "Dumb" but that isn't the most popular choice around here. Although, it really makes my reading of threads a lot more fun.

Anyone under like 100 who calls someone their "Darling Son" or "Dear Son" or "Devoted Son" in real life would be laughed out of a room. Why is it normal here?

I like to say "Dumb" but that isn't the most popular choice around here. Although, it really makes my reading of threads a lot more fun.

Anyone under like 100 who calls someone their "Darling Son" or "Dear Son" or "Devoted Son" in real life would be laughed out of a room. Why is it normal here?

*LOL*

Its like married couples that call each other "Mother" and "Father".