young boy's aged 11 and 16 smart shorts mdr

Why do we want teenagers dressing like old men?

When I married, my 3 teenage nephews came to the wedding in suits. Although I thought they looked smart, they were uncomfortable. It was a summer wedding so I told them to go and put their shorts on. They look so much better in what they feel is 'smart' for their generation.

If kids are uncomfortable certainly "old men" are too . My wife and I had a wedding on the beach seven years ago and the attire was Caribbean Casual. We didn't care how people showed up ,we just wanted friends and family to have a great time

....................Frank:)

Don't forget, those that wear military uniform or dress to represent nationality (Scottish kilt) are technically breaking guidelines. While very nice these sorts of dress are neither suit nor tuxedo. That's a fact willfully ignored or purposely overlooked by the vacation police.

Actually local custom the kilt is indeed considered formal and is within guidelines as are military dress uniforms

.......................Frank:)

Edited by DC2OC

This is from the Allure in April, so I would assume that if it is on their highest class ships, it will be everywhere. I will agree with everyone that there needs to be some minimum restrictions like bare feet, have to have a shirt on at least and perhaps even the tank tops, but a more causal experience is better for me when I vacation. I rarely wear long pants in my normal day to day life, so I definitely do not want to go on vacation and have to wear them.

But I guess based on what you saw in your Allure Cruise Compass, bare feet and tank tops are also now allowed, right? ;)

If kids are uncomfortable certainly "old men" are too . My wife and I had a wedding on the beach seven years ago and the attire was Caribbean Casual. We didn't care how people showed up ,we just wanted friends and family to have a great time

....................Frank:)

I certainly have to agree with and not because you have a cute Boston Terrier :) I have 2 of them. 2 of my kids have already told me that when the time comes , they want to have beach or very casual weddings. I am working on the other 2 *LOL*

When my dad passed away, many people came to the wake in attire some here would faint dead away over . the two ladies in Dunkin Donuts uniforms, the car mechanic, the guys from the pizza parlor, and several others who came right from work in work clothes and uniforms. They all just wanted to come and pay their respects to the nice man who always had a big smile on his face, a good (if not corny:)) joke and singing his Sinatra tunes.

If it was a matter of them coming as they were and making my family feel good , share a kind word and a laugh , or not being able to come at all. I am glad they were there. Clothing be damned :)

But I guess based on what you saw in your Allure Cruise Compass, bare feet and tank tops are also now allowed, right? ;)

It said they are not recommended, but never said they weren't allowed. I haven't been on the Allure yet, but I will see what they allow next month. Not that it really bothers me, people can wear what they want, I sure plan to.

I sure will be glad when the Super Duper Geriatric Prom Dining Room 8000® opens on Quantum and Anthem.

That way, people can focus on the way people dress in there and leave the rest of us alone.

"I was in the SDGPDR 8000® last night and this man had a wrinkle on his left arm that completely offended me to the point where I was unable to eat."

"That's nothing! I was in the SDGPDR 8000® and we saw a woman with earring that were EASILY 2mm larger than acceptable for months containing an 'r' and days of the week with a 't' in them. It was sooooo uncouth!"

I sure will be glad when the Super Duper Geriatric Prom Dining Room 8000® opens on Quantum and Anthem.

That way, people can focus on the way people dress in there and leave the rest of us alone.

"I was in the SDGPDR 8000® last night and this man had a wrinkle on his left arm that completely offended me to the point where I was unable to eat."

"That's nothing! I was in the SDGPDR 8000® and we saw a woman with earring that were EASILY 2mm larger than acceptable for months containing an 'r' and days of the week with a 't' in them. It was sooooo uncouth!"

*LOL*

I hear bussle, hoop skirt, petticoat , and spats night is something to see. :)

When my dad passed away, many people came to the wake in attire some here would faint dead away over . the two ladies in Dunkin Donuts uniforms, the car mechanic, the guys from the pizza parlor, and several others who came right from work in work clothes and uniforms. They all just wanted to come and pay their respects to the nice man who always had a big smile on his face, a good (if not corny:)) joke and singing his Sinatra tunes.

If it was a matter of them coming as they were and making my family feel good , share a kind word and a laugh , or not being able to come at all. I am glad they were there. Clothing be damned :)

I completely agree with this. But comparing paying your respects at a funeral to coming for chow in an a artificially "elegant" mass market dining room is laughable. The two events aren't even on the same page.

i sure will be glad when the super duper geriatric prom dining room 8000® opens on quantum and anthem.

"i was in the sdgpdr 8000® last night and this man had a wrinkle on his left arm that completely offended me to the point where i was unable to eat."

"that's nothing! I was in the sdgpdr 8000® and we saw a woman with earring that were easily 2mm larger than acceptable for months containing an 'r' and days of the week with a 't' in them. It was sooooo uncouth!"

lmao

I completely agree with this. But comparing paying your respects at a funeral to coming for chow in an a artificially "elegant" mass market dining room is laughable. The two events aren't even on the same page.

They don't compare at all , but if casual wear is OK for an important event like a funeral, it is certainly OK for a make believe prom night

I belong to a country club here. Yes, you see lots of 'nice' shorts there (the rules allow them, unlike in the MDR on RCI ships.) But I've never heard anyone refer to them as "smart shorts." The poster I quoted first has it correct. :rolleyes:

Sent from my Galaxy S4 via Tapatalk

I'm afraid it's one of the many names we give them in uk, like "smart suit" or "very smart looking young man".

^^ This is one of the many reasons that perhaps we shouldn't rush to mock and give snarky responses to a sincere question. The word 'smart' doesn't mean quite the same thing here as it does there. I'm sorry you were given some rather rude answers.

It is so funny how some here are quick to throw out the RULE that shorts are not allowed yet carry on a case of water or soda which is against a RULE as well.

Hypocrite much?

Not sure who you're aiming that at, but for the record, I've never carried on a case of water or soda. I don't remember anyone else stating here that they follow the "no shorts" RULE saying that they broke the water or soda RULE either. Who are you aiming this "hypocrite" accusation at, anyway??

Not sure who you're aiming that at, but for the record, I've never carried on a case of water or soda. I don't remember anyone else stating here that they follow the "no shorts" RULE saying that they broke the water or soda RULE either. Who are you aiming this "hypocrite" accusation at, anyway??

Why are you being so sensitive? Since you never have carried on water or soda its obvious you werent the one I was referring to.

Do you not think that out of over 300 people that voted "no way" to shorts that there might be quiet a few that have brought their own soda and water on? Sorry but Im raising the BS flag on that! In fact, I would call out names but Im to the point now that I dont really need any more infractions here.

So now that you disagree with my outlook on shorts in the MDR, does that mean we cant be "friends" anymore?

To answer the your question though, I am aiming my hypocrite accusation towards those that think its NOT ok to break the "no shorts" RULE yet meanwhile have no problem breaking the "no non alcoholic beverages allowed" RULE.

Again, obviously I wasnt referring to you. :)

Not sure why the image isn't showing up, but the exact wording is:

Please note that bare feet, short pants, caps and tank tops are not recommended in the dining rooms or any of our specialty restaurants.

Interesting, I stand corrected then. Not sure if they've softened the wording or if it varies by ship. Strange wording since I assume they wouldn't allow you in the MDR with bare feet, or at least I hope not.

No need to stand corrected. Here's photographic evidence of one as recent as February of this year, and it still clearly says "not permitted":

CCDay1Pg3_zps1f809eec.jpg

This is from the Allure in April, so I would assume that if it is on their highest class ships, it will be everywhere. I will agree with everyone that there needs to be some minimum restrictions like bare feet, have to have a shirt on at least and perhaps even the tank tops, but a more causal experience is better for me when I vacation. I rarely wear long pants in my normal day to day life, so I definitely do not want to go on vacation and have to wear them.

Allure is the newest and largest ship in the fleet, but IMO not the "highest class" of ship. She has different suggestions for attire from any other RCI ship I've been on. I remember that their suggestion for formal night on our January cruise was a jacket for men (no mention of a suit, tux or even a tie) and a dress for women.

On Rhapsody, which is smaller, older and (IMO again) infinitely more classy a cruise ship than Allure, the "not permitted" language already mentioned was the order of the day in May. But I didn't pay attention to what others were wearing, so have no idea whether it was enforced.

Edited by critterchick

Can children wear smart shorts in main dining room? sailing sos in July.

I think you mean...

With regars to the MDR dress code. Can my kids break the rules just because they are kids?

It starts with you!

This is a great opportunity for you to teach and them to learn about life's little rules.

IMG_1800.jpg

Ooo, sorry off topic - but curiously, it lists breakfast in the WJ until 8:00 am. Surely that was a misprint? Buffet breakfast has always gone until at least 11 am or so, then closed for 30 minutes to transition to lunch. Looks like a port day because the MDR is not serving lunch. AND Main and Second traditional dinner seatings are given a 30 minute window? Do you see that? Things that make you go "Hmm!". :D :D

Not sure why the image isn't showing up, but the exact wording is:

Please note that bare feet, short pants, caps and tank tops are not recommended in the dining rooms or any of our specialty restaurants.

It is not recommended to jump off a high building either. But people still do it.