young boy's aged 11 and 16 smart shorts mdr

Ooo, sorry off topic - but curiously, it lists breakfast in the WJ until 8:00 am. Surely that was a misprint? Buffet breakfast has always gone until at least 11 am or so, then closed for 30 minutes to transition to lunch. Looks like a port day because the MDR is not serving lunch. AND Main and Second traditional dinner seatings are given a 30 minute window? Do you see that? Things that make you go "Hmm!". :D :D

It's for day 1 which is also the last day of the previous cruise which would explain the limited breakfast hours. Dinner definitely screwed up.

It's for day 1 which is also the last day of the previous cruise which would explain the limited breakfast hours. Dinner definitely screwed up.

Yeah... ... but I have never received a Compass for departure day. Huh. It wouldn't even seem necessary to mention the breakfast hours as they don't pertain to embarking passengers, nor does this Compass pertain to disembarking passengers.

Anyway, sorry! Off topic but this thread is really getting heavy. :(

Edited by Langley Cruisers

yes it was necessary. children learn from their parents. start now, or they will be wearing shorts at all formal events and say "my parents always allowed this" :confused:

My kids are smart enough to be able to tell the difference between actual formal events and dinner while on vacation. There is a difference you know.

My kids are smart enough to be able to tell the difference between actual formal events and dinner while on vacation. There is a difference you know.

You know there is a difference , and I know there is a difference, but some people..............:)

I say let them wear what they want within reason far too many folk on here are too quick to judge!! On my last cruise in may I did indeed wear smart shorts myself with a shirt like I would here on a nice evening if was going out . It's now the style for many heading out on the town! We are 25-35 not that that matters! I've never been turned away nor had anyone say anything to me. I do off course make an effort on formal night and wouldn't wear shorts but see absolutely nothing wrong with it on other nights. Like others say I think with cruise lines appealing to the younger generation things are changing and formal is on the way out or certainly things are becoming more relaxed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Again, for all those who say it is a suggestion rather than a rule. . .

Saying does not make it so across the board for all ships in the fleet.

I am not agreeing or disagreeing with the recommendations, but on my two most recent RCI cruises, both within the last 7 1/2 months, shorts were not allowed in the MDR for dinner on any night. Fact.

When my dad passed away, many people came to the wake in attire some here would faint dead away over . the two ladies in Dunkin Donuts uniforms, the car mechanic, the guys from the pizza parlor, and several others who came right from work in work clothes and uniforms. They all just wanted to come and pay their respects to the nice man who always had a big smile on his face, a good (if not corny:)) joke and singing his Sinatra tunes.

If it was a matter of them coming as they were and making my family feel good , share a kind word and a laugh , or not being able to come at all. I am glad they were there. Clothing be damned :)

Great perspective...thank you for posting:)

Edited by Wilda

Autocorrect failures are the spice of life.

Off-tpoic, but you are so correct. I got a text from our youngest son yesterday that they were checking out a "baby place" for us. I was calculating how much we'd get in cancelled cruise and hotel refunds, because they were having a baby!!! I got his correction: bbq not baby. Sigh.

I don't see what the fuss is, nowadays You get smart trousers, just made shorter! Its something you couldn't get in ye olde days, so the rules / suggestions just need to be updated.

Life moves on - you can look just as smart in shorts as you can in trousers. In my opinion its like making women wear tights / stockings. It's uncomfortable in the heat and not at all necessary.

If someone wants a cruise where there is a particular old style dress code each night, you can get those. I think there is a place for them, some people see dressing up as part of their holiday, just like others just really want to not have that bother.

I personally think RCC will update their policy, it olds no value any more, just like a rusty old car.

Shorts are shorts no matter what they are called. The guidlines are for all ages and the OPs kids aren't infants. I could care less what others wear but when the age card is played...just my opinion!

I don't understand why someone like myself who asked an innocent question, who knew nothing about wearing "smart" shorts in mdr, who also didn't know whether their was an age limit (reason ages were applied) is getting such bitter replies!!! It makes a person think twice about posting on here.

I don't understand why someone like myself who asked an innocent question, who knew nothing about wearing "smart" shorts in mdr, who also didn't know whether their was an age limit (reason ages were applied) is getting such bitter replies!!! It makes a person think twice about posting on here.

Some people just don't like change. There are some really lovely people on here too. I sail RCC from UK and you will be fine. As a fellow passenger with a 15 year old daughter, in my opinion the kids need to wear what is the trend, not what some others, who have nothing to do with your family at all, say.

Edited by Adayatatime

Smart shorts? What in earth is that? Is it kind of like the also undefined Resort Casual? I'm taking it to mean, Not Gym Shorts, which is a huge category.

The only shorts I'd consider allowing for dinner would be an Eton suit for a very little boy on formal night. How often do families have a reason to dress up? These opportunities are good for kids, and they make good photo ops.

Smart shorts? What in earth is that? Is it kind of like the also undefined Resort Casual? I'm taking it to mean, Not Gym Shorts, which is a huge category.

The only shorts I'd consider allowing for dinner would be an Eton suit for a very little boy on formal night. How often do families have a reason to dress up? These opportunities are good for kids, and they make good photo ops.

Reading the thread would've answered this for you. The Eton Suit you reference (thanks Google!) would be exactly what the OP meant by "smart shorts" because the term "smart" in the UK isn't referring to the IQ of the shorts, but an adjective along the lines of stylish, fashionable, elegant, etc.

Granted the thought of calling a 16-year old a "young boy" who wears "smart shorts" conjures up images of Angus Young or maybe even Augustus Gloop and not someone fashionable.

Good photo opportunities? That hadn't even crossed my mind. Formal photos have their place but you can have your photo taken whatever you wear. How often do families have the opportunity to get on with being a family? I see smart shorts in the same way as I see smart and casual shoes.

Kids dress in school uniform every day (well lots do anyway). They have loads of opportunity to "dress up".

Reading the thread would've answered this for you. The Eton Suit you reference (thanks Google!) would be exactly what the OP meant by "smart shorts" because the term "smart" in the UK isn't referring to the IQ of the shorts, but an adjective along the lines of stylish, fashionable, elegant, etc.

Granted the thought of calling a 16-year old a "young boy" who wears "smart shorts" conjures up images of Angus Young or maybe even Augustus Gloop and not someone fashionable.

Lol :D

The other option would be to go to the RCI website and look it up there. You may have done that and not liked the answers (known as FACTS), so you came here. Sorry, if you do not like the answers here which are unless back up by FACTS (no shorts in the MDR) are called OPINIONS.

If you think people are rude because you do not like the answer that your special snowflake can wear shorts, then that is your OPINION.

Allure is the newest and largest ship in the fleet, but IMO not the "highest class" of ship. She has different suggestions for attire from any other RCI ship I've been on. I remember that their suggestion for formal night on our January cruise was a jacket for men (no mention of a suit, tux or even a tie) and a dress for women.

On Rhapsody, which is smaller, older and (IMO again) infinitely more classy a cruise ship than Allure, the "not permitted" language already mentioned was the order of the day in May. But I didn't pay attention to what others were wearing, so have no idea whether it was enforced.

By class, I meant the highest on their list, probably would have been better to say largest class.

It is not recommended to jump off a high building either. But people still do it.

Exactly, it is recommended that you don't jump off a building, but if you want to jump, go for it. Same with shorts, they don't recommend it, but if you want to wear them, I say go for it. I plan to.

You know, the only thing that would really solve the dress code in the MDR is to make it an additional charge, then I say they can make the dress code any way they want and no one could complain. But if it is in the price that everyone pays, then it creates issues when you then try to select who can or cannot take part.

For example, someone books a cruise, packs for the summer weather and shows up to embark. Then they find out they won't let them in the dining room without long pants. How is that fair to them that they weren't aware of the restriction?

The other option would be to go to the RCI website and look it up there. You may have done that and not liked the answers (known as FACTS), so you came here. Sorry, if you do not like the answers here which are unless back up by FACTS (no shorts in the MDR) are called OPINIONS.

If you think people are rude because you do not like the answer that your special snowflake can wear shorts, then that is your OPINION.

Sometimes when things are written down, it doesn't mean its done in practice. The OP probably wanted to get a general idea of what really happens.

Well said. But we see it all the time here. People check the website and see what is not permitted then come here to ask what they can get away with, be it shorts, rum runners, smoking, whatever. IMO, it's their ship and their rules. If you feel you cannot abide by them, there are lots of other places to spend one's vacation.

I don't see what the fuss is, nowadays You get smart trousers, just made shorter! Its something you couldn't get in ye olde days, so the rules / suggestions just need to be updated.

Life moves on - you can look just as smart in shorts as you can in trousers. In my opinion its like making women wear tights / stockings. It's uncomfortable in the heat and not at all necessary.

If someone wants a cruise where there is a particular old style dress code each night, you can get those. I think there is a place for them, some people see dressing up as part of their holiday, just like others just really want to not have that bother.

I personally think RCC will update their policy, it olds no value any more, just like a rusty old car.

This may be your personal opinion, but I'd estimate 90% of the passengers on my cruises do not agree with this. They dress according to the suggested dress for the evening.

In find it interesting that people feel perfectly comfortable going to dinner wearing shorts when the policy clearly states "shorts are not permitted at dinner". To me, it seems a little "in your face".

That said, I really don't care what anyone wears to dinner and it would not bother me in the least if the policy was changed to allow shorts at dinner.

I have to admit, I don't understand what the big deal is about putting on a pair of pants.

Back to the original question. I would tell the 16 year old what the policy is and let him decide what to wear. To me, he is a young "man", not a young "boy".

Edited by galavant3

In find it interesting that people feel perfectly comfortable going to dinner wearing shorts when the policy clearly states "shorts are not permitted at dinner". To me, it seems a little "in your face".

That said, I really don't care what anyone wears to dinner and it would not bother me in the least if the policy was changed to allow shorts at dinner.

I have to admit, I don't understand what the big deal is about putting on a pair of pants.

Back to the original question. I would tell the 16 year old what the policy is and let him decide what to wear. To me, he is a young "man", not a young "boy".

I cruised with my then 17 year old son and his 17 year old friend. My son was all over wearing long pants to dinner, and had a nice selection of darker colored silk shirts that we got at discount at Ross Dress for Less.

His friend got into a huge discussion with his mother about wanting to wear his long casual shorts to dinner, and she came to our cabin and asked us to come help. Her son held up his collared shirt and shorts, and my son said, "Nope. You gotta dress better to get the good food." End of story.

That was 15 years ago!

I'm not speaking for the OP, but many teenagers don't like to step outside their comfort zone when in new situations.

Also, many parents don't want to spend the extra money on clothes their teenagers won't wear at home. That's why we bought the clothes at a discount store.

I wore shorts to Chops and the MDR on my last cruise and will continue to. the old fashion days of being all fromal and suffy are long gone. Welcome to the new , modern, relaxed days of cruising! :D:D:D