Alcohol and wine packages

fudgie

A very related topic – when I was on the Royal in May, there were a lot of folks who had ‘wine cards’. They could show the card and get a bottle of wine (for a punch on the card, like the coffee cards). Can anyone explain these? I understand there are 3 categories of differing wines – but I don’t know the constraints nor did I figure out where you got a card (pre-book, pre-board, post-board, where on-board?). It seemed like a good idea, since we normally get a bottle of wine for dinner. Appreciate anyone who can describe the mechanics of this card and whether they can be purchased on all Princess ships, or only a few ‘test’ ships to date.

We bought the silver wine package on our last cruise. I can't remember the price but it enabled us to have any bottle of wine up to the value of $30. I think it was for 12 bottles and worked out about $24 per bottle. I'm sure someone will have the up to date information. Our next cruise has the drinks package included so will not be buying it next time. I also think they are only available for cruises of 7 days or longer.

No wine packages available on Diamond Princess, May, June 2014. They want you to buy a drink package at $49 per person per day, no sharing. Outrageous!
A couple of possible reasons.

I don't know about the length of your cruise, but current cruises on the Diamond appear to be only 9 days. The packages are not offered on cruises of less than 10 days in length :) Princess offers two of the 9 days as an 18 day cruise but that is really just two 9 days so no package.

I don't believe the packages are offered on the Australian based ships. That may be the same for those operating out of Japan. With so many ships in Asia including the Sapphire and next year the Golden it will be interesting to what differences, good or bad, there may be with ships in those areas.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

A very related topic – when I was on the Royal in May, there were a lot of folks who had ‘wine cards’. They could show the card and get a bottle of wine (for a punch on the card, like the coffee cards). Can anyone explain these? I understand there are 3 categories of differing wines – but I don’t know the constraints nor did I figure out where you got a card (pre-book, pre-board, post-board, where on-board?). It seemed like a good idea, since we normally get a bottle of wine for dinner. Appreciate anyone who can describe the mechanics of this card and whether they can be purchased on all Princess ships, or only a few ‘test’ ships to date.

Wine packages are available on some cruises of 10 days or longer. We purchased the wine package/card from our assistant waiter in the dining room. There may be some benefit to those who sell packages & whether that's true or not I preferred to purchase it from our assistant waiter who was primarily responsible for getting our wine. I've also seen a table set up by the elevators outside of the Horizon Court selling wine packages. I was on B2B cruises (14 and 17 day) and confirmed with him before purchasing that I could use my 12 bottle gold package on both cruises. I do not know if this is the standard procedure or if he got a waiver for us because we were at the same traditional dining table for the entire cruise.

The details on the wine packages are:

Note: A 15% gratuity is added to all package prices (like any other bar purchase).

Silver Package (wines up to $29 per bottle list price)

7 bottles -- $161 (average of $23 per bottle)

10 bottles -- $210 (average of $21 per bottle)

12 bottles -- $240 (average of $20 per bottle)

Gold Package (wines up to $45 per bottle list price)

7 bottles -- $217 (average of $31 per bottle)

10 bottles -- $290 (average of $29 per bottle)

12 bottles -- $336 (average of $28 per bottle)

You get a punch card which can be used at any of the dining locations.

You may choose any wine on on the regular wine menu. If you want to buy a wine that costs more than what the package covers, you just pay the difference. For example, if you have a Gold package and buy a wine that costs $46, the charge for $46 will appear on your stateroom account, followed by a $45 credit.

The wine package can only be purchased on the ship.

Edited by Astro Flyer

Wine packages are available on some cruises of 10 days or longer. We purchased the wine package/card from our assistant waiter in the dining room. There may be some benefit to those who sell packages & whether that's true or not I preferred to purchase it from our assistant waiter who was primarily responsible for getting our wine. I've also seen a table set up by the elevators outside of the Horizon Court selling wine packages. I was on B2B cruises (14 and 17 day) and confirmed with him before purchasing that I could use my 12 bottle gold package on both cruises. I do not know if this is the standard procedure or if he got a waiver for us because we were at the same traditional dining table for the entire cruise.

The details on the wine packages are:

Note: A 15% gratuity is added to all package prices (like any other bar purchase).

Silver Package (wines up to $29 per bottle list price)

7 bottles -- $161 (average of $23 per bottle)

10 bottles -- $210 (average of $21 per bottle)

12 bottles -- $240 (average of $20 per bottle)

Gold Package (wines up to $45 per bottle list price)

7 bottles -- $217 (average of $31 per bottle)

10 bottles -- $290 (average of $29 per bottle)

12 bottles -- $336 (average of $28 per bottle)

You get a punch card which can be used at any of the dining locations.

You may choose any wine on on the regular wine menu. If you want to buy a wine that costs more than what the package covers, you just pay the difference. For example, if you have a Gold package and buy a wine that costs $46, the charge for $46 will appear on your stateroom account, followed by a $45 credit.

The wine package can only be purchased on the ship.

I was bought a silver wine card on the island Princess April 1,2014 panama Canal

I assumed it was good for room service, bars & dining room.

Reading the fine print back of card : Only good for the dining rooms

Oh to my disappointment

The wine package is still a good thing

I will buy it again for myB2B med cruise on the Emerald Princess May 2015

Judy

I was bought a silver wine card on the island Princess April 1,2014 panama Canal

I assumed it was good for room service, bars & dining room.

Reading the fine print back of card : Only good for the dining rooms

Oh to my disappointment

The wine package is still a good thing

I will buy it again for myB2B med cruise on the Emerald Princess May 2015

Judy

So, could you get a bottle of wine in the dining room to take back to your room? We like to have a glass of wine on our balcony and if that is not possible with the wine package it would be a deal breaker.

So, could you get a bottle of wine in the dining room to take back to your room? We like to have a glass of wine on our balcony and if that is not possible with the wine package it would be a deal breaker.

Yes, you can get bottles of wine in the dining room to take to your room.

Edited by Astro Flyer

That's good. Thanks, Astro Flyer.

You're welcome and don't forget that each adult can bring one bottle per cruise to enjoy in your cabin without adding a corkage fee. Additional bottles are subject to a $15 per bottle corkage fee and can be enjoyed in the dining room without any additional fees. And if the fee is not collected during boarding you can enjoy them in your cabin fee-free. I always plan on paying the fee for extra bottles & if it's not charged that's more money to spend on other things during the cruise.

That's good. Thanks, Astro Flyer.

I go into the dining room for dinner or lunch order wine for the meal

Instead of the waiter corking it, I take the remaining wine out of the dining room to my embarrassment!

Judy

Thanks for the great info Astro Flyer - Seems like a good deal if you have a bottle of wine at dinner - which, really doesn't go very far for 2 or more people. It's a good cost savings. My backup question - which I think I know the answer to - is the card good for another cruise if you don't use all your punches? i.e.: kinda like the coffee card. I'm thinking probably not - but, if someone knows for sure........

I go into the dining room for dinner or lunch order wine for the meal

Instead of the waiter corking it, I take the remaining wine out of the dining room to my embarrassment!

Judy

You purchase/order in the DR you can take it anywhere you want.

Thanks for the great info Astro Flyer - Seems like a good deal if you have a bottle of wine at dinner - which, really doesn't go very far for 2 or more people. It's a good cost savings. My backup question - which I think I know the answer to - is the card good for another cruise if you don't use all your punches? i.e.: kinda like the coffee card. I'm thinking probably not - but, if someone knows for sure........

No, the wine package card is only good on the cruise it was purchased. I never have any leftover & have read about those who will get any remaining bottles to take home.

Do not lose the card because I've read a post that said they were unable to get the remaining bottles. If that happened to me I'd have them find the receipts to show them how many I had received so I could get my remaining bottles of wine that I purchased.

Edited by Astro Flyer

Astro Flyer, I have one more question since you seem to be knowledgeable on this subject. It seems to me that it has been mentioned on other threads that Princess runs out of the "better" wines as the cruise progresses. I think I would be a little upset if we purchased the gold package and only the $23 and under wines were available half way through the cruise. Have you experienced this at all?

Astro Flyer, I have one more question since you seem to be knowledgeable on this subject. It seems to me that it has been mentioned on other threads that Princess runs out of the "better" wines as the cruise progresses. I think I would be a little upset if we purchased the gold package and only the $23 and under wines were available half way through the cruise. Have you experienced this at all?

I've read that also & can only share my month long experience on the Golden Princess in March from Buenos Aires to LA. I had the gold 12 bottle package & many times throughout the cruise paid the extra cost for bottles exceeding the $45 limit (no tip on the extra cost). Having read about possibly running out of more expensive wine we got those closest to the $45 limit early in the cruise. However they always had sufficient inventory from the beginning to the end of the cruise to get any wine we wanted. :)

A lack of inventory is the most common reason given when on cruises of 10 or more days they didn't have the wine package available. It wasn't available on a 32 day Med/TA nor on an 18 day cruise with the same itinerary. Sadly that results in not knowing until boarding whether the wine package will truly be available. Calling Princess isn't going to get an accurate answer because their agents have no way to know if it won't be available due to "lack of inventory". :(

Edited by Astro Flyer

No wine packages available on Diamond Princess, May, June 2014. They want you to buy a drink package at $49 per person per day, no sharing. Outrageous!

My wife bought the drink package last month and we used her card to buy bottles of wine at dinner at the 40% off, and we were allowed to share the bottle. Why would they care who shared the bottle? That is like one person in your family who is Elite using their card to get 10% off in the gift shop for something for you. How would they even police who the actual merchandise was for? I think, for wine bottle buyers on board, the 40% off is a great benefit (in conjunction with any other free drinks you also get).:o

I've read that also & can only share my month long experience on the Golden Princess in March from Buenos Aires to LA. I had the gold 12 bottle package & many times throughout the cruise paid the extra cost for bottles exceeding the $45 limit (no tip on the extra cost). Having read about possibly running out of more expensive wine we got those closest to the $45 limit early in the cruise. However they always had sufficient inventory from the beginning to the end of the cruise to get any wine we wanted. :)

A lack of inventory is the most common reason given when on cruises of 10 or more days they didn't have the wine package available. It wasn't available on a 32 day Med/TA nor on an 18 day cruise with the same itinerary. Sadly that results in not knowing until boarding whether the wine package will truly be available. Calling Princess isn't going to get an accurate answer because their agents have no way to know if it won't be available due to "lack of inventory". :(

Thank you. Very helpful indeed.

My wife bought the drink package last month and we used her card to buy bottles of wine at dinner at the 40% off, and we were allowed to share the bottle. Why would they care who shared the bottle? That is like one person in your family who is Elite using their card to get 10% off in the gift shop for something for you. How would they even police who the actual merchandise was for? I think, for wine bottle buyers on board, the 40% off is a great benefit (in conjunction with any other free drinks you also get).:o

What you're talking about is the all inclusive package. The discussion above refers to the wine only packages... it does get confusing at times.

A couple of possible reasons.

I don't know about the length of your cruise, but current cruises on the Diamond appear to be only 9 days. The packages are not offered on cruises of less than 10 days in length :) Princess offers two of the 9 days as an 18 day cruise but that is really just two 9 days so no package.

I don't believe the packages are offered on the Australian based ships. That may be the same for those operating out of Japan. With so many ships in Asia including the Sapphire and next year the Golden it will be interesting to what differences, good or bad, there may be with ships in those areas.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

27 day cruise. Princess HQ told us wine packages would be available on Diamond, but that turned out to be not true.