Exactly who washes and folds the laundry we leave in a bag?

Herby

Is it the room steward??

ummm... No.. Its the crew who work the laundry facilities.. They will fold it and put it back in the bag and ring your room steward who will then collect it, and deliver it to your cabin for you after dinner.

It's usually returned the next day by 6PM or at least that's what we have experienced and what we were told just a couple of days ago.

If you have the opportunity you should consider a Behind the Fun Tour. We did one a couple of years ago and it really answers lots of questions and you get to see how the entire ship runs! So much fun and so interesting!!!

It's usually returned the next day by 6PM or at least that's what we have experienced and what we were told just a couple of days ago.

We've always received our clothes the same day. We give the clothes to our room steward by 9a.m. and get the clothes back in the late afternoon.

The laundry attendants fold the laundry. If there is a problem (like folding clothes for 2 cabins and 2 similar articles of clothing might be crossed to the other cabin), the laundry attendant and the room steward will come by with the clothing for you to pick the correct one. Yes, it happened to us 1 time out of 15 times using the bagged laundry.

We've always received our clothes the same day. We give the clothes to our room steward by 9a.m. and get the clothes back in the late afternoon.

We've never used the on board laundry service. Is it on all the sailings, even 3/4 day?

What's the usual charge?

Jo:)

We've never used the on board laundry service. Is it on all the sailings, even 3/4 day?

What's the usual charge?

Jo:)

Are there Laundry Services available on board?

Laundry Services In addition to self-service launderettes on each ship, there is a valet laundry service on board; dry cleaning is not available. Following is the price list; this service is handled through the room Steward:

Mens Item Wash Press; Press Only

Suit 2-Piece: n/a; $7.00

Suit 3-Piece: n/a; $8.00

Jacket: $5.00; $3.75

Blazer: $5.00; $3.75

Over Coat: $8.00; $6.00

Trousers: $5.00; $4.00

T-Shirt: $2.00; $1.50

Shorts: $4.00; $3.00

Under Shorts: $2.00; $1.50

Track Suit: $7.00; $5.00

Pajamas: $4.00; $3.00

Pair of Socks: $2.00; n/a

Jeans: $4.00; $3.00

Shirt: $4.00; $3.00

Tie: $2.00; $1.50

Ladies Item Wash Press; Press Only

Suit 2-piece: n/a;$7.00

Dress: $7.50; $6.00

Shirt/Blouse: $4.00; $3.00

Silk Blouse: $5.00; $3.75

Skirt: $5.00; $4.00

Slacks/Pants: $5.00; $4.00

Panties/Bra/Slip: $2.00; n/a

Nightgown/PJ's: $5.00; $3.75

Swim Suit: $3.00; $2.00

Scarf: $3.50; $2.75

Handkerchief: $2.00; $1.25

The above prices are for individual items. There will be a paper bag in your cabin, usually in a drawer, that you fill and leave out for your steward. You roll up the clothes as tight as you can and fill the bag. When it's full, the steward will turn it in. On all of our cruises, they have a one day sale where the whole bag is something like $15. I would advise not putting anything other than socks, underwear, t-shirts and shorts. They use extremely hot water.

From what I've seen on the travel channel, they put your laundry in a mesh bag and throw it in the huge washer with many other people's bags. They dry them the same way, then fold and put them in bags for the stewards to pick up. Every time we've ever sent them our laundry, it went out in one packed bag and came back in two. They may not be folded the way you do at home but they are folded.

If you have the opportunity you should consider a Behind the Fun Tour. We did one a couple of years ago and it really answers lots of questions and you get to see how the entire ship runs! So much fun and so interesting!!!

I gotta "second" the suggestion to take the Behind the Fun Tour. The laundry facilities onboard are incredible. Many comments of "I gotta get me one of these" were made when we were shown the sheet and towel folding machines...but could have a bit of a space problem in most homes.

Plus, if you take the tour, you could find out absolutely for sure whether or not it's Ralph whose folding your laundry.

I, too, have always had SAME DAY service, if you tell your cabin steward early... EARLY, when you see him before breakfast around 7am or so... Then it's back either before dinner or with your turn down and towel animal service!

But, I do leave a couple dollars tip with the bag on my bed. It's the steward that runs it down to the laundry, and picks it up. The tip might be incentive in getting it there early and back early!

The above prices are for individual items. There will be a paper bag in your cabin, usually in a drawer, that you fill and leave out for your steward. You roll up the clothes as tight as you can and fill the bag. When it's full, the steward will turn it in. On all of our cruises, they have a one day sale where the whole bag is something like $15. I would advise not putting anything other than socks, underwear, t-shirts and shorts. They use extremely hot water.

From what I've seen on the travel channel, they put your laundry in a mesh bag and throw it in the huge washer with many other people's bags. They dry them the same way, then fold and put them in bags for the stewards to pick up. Every time we've ever sent them our laundry, it went out in one packed bag and came back in two. They may not be folded the way you do at home but they are folded.

Thanks for the price list Hftmrock.

Thanks for the important washing tip RWolver.

Being a lady, I was actually only thinking about one item of mine - My favorite linen dress (DH's favorite too!)

We are traveling a big distance from the UK and usually by the time I get there it's going to be pretty creased, but it needs to be pressed on the inside only. Good idea to leave it to them???

Jo :)

Edited by Jotravelnut21

Being a lady, I was actually only thinking about one item of mine - My favorite linen dress (DH's favorite too!)

We are traveling a big distance from the UK and usually by the time I get there it's going to be pretty creased, but it needs to be pressed on the inside only. Good idea to leave it to them???

If it only needs to be pressed it will be fine. But for specifics such as being pressed on the inside only NO!

If it only needs to be pressed it will be fine. But for specifics such as being pressed on the inside only NO!

Mmmm.. I had a sinking feeling that was going to be the answer.

Looks like I'm hanging it in the shower again!

Are there Laundry Services available on board?

Laundry Services In addition to self-service launderettes on each ship, there is a valet laundry service on board; dry cleaning is not available. Following is the price list; this service is handled through the room Steward:

Mens Item Wash Press; Press Only

Suit 2-Piece: n/a; $7.00

Suit 3-Piece: n/a; $8.00

Blazer: $5.00; $3.75

Trousers: $5.00; $4.00

Under Shorts: $2.00; $1.50

Pajamas: $4.00; $3.00

Shirt: $4.00; $3.00

Tie: $2.00; $1.50

Ladies Item Wash Press; Press Only

Suit 2-piece: n/a;$7.00

Dress: $7.50; $6.00

Shirt/Blouse: $4.00; $3.00

Silk Blouse: $5.00; $3.75

Skirt: $5.00; $4.00

Slacks/Pants: $5.00; $4.00

Panties/Bra/Slip: $2.00; n/a

Nightgown/PJ's: $5.00; $3.75

Swim Suit: $3.00; $2.00

Scarf: $3.50; $2.75

Handkerchief: $2.00; $1.25

Thanks for posting the individual list. We may opt to use the service this cruise, along with the laundry room since we will be staying with family after the cruise for a few days.

For some reason I'm thinking that they have an iron available in the self service laundry. I know that sounds crazy since irons could be such a fire hazard, but I swear I've seen it written somewhere before. I suppose if they have a regularly serviced one that shuts off automatically after a short period it's possible. DH sends his underwear and socks. I don't send any of my clothes.

There is a iron you can use in the laundry room, if you don't care to do it yourself.. The iron must stay in the laundry room. Best to go use it early or late in the day. ASAP as you can. 1 iron for several people to use. :(

Mmmm.. I had a sinking feeling that was going to be the answer.

Looks like I'm hanging it in the shower again!

Yes, do not send your linen dress to the laundry. I do not send anything delicate.

To clear the confusion, yes its done by the laundry people, supervised by the head Laundry guy. There is a dedicated washer/dryer on each ship for passengers laundry, altho it might be used for crew uniforms during slow times.

It's great, but no, I wouldn't send anything delicate or requiring extra care. There is a laundry room for your personal use if you wish, at least one on almost every ship. I do iron extra wrinkely stuff there.

How do I go about taking this "Behind the Fun Tour?" I've seen it recommended here at Cruise Critic A LOT, but it doesn't show up as an excursion for me. I'm assuming there must be some other way to sign up.

Also... there must be something incredibly wrong with me if I'm actually looking to spend some of my vacation time to watch people do laundry.

I did a "Behind the Fun Tour" on the Legend a while back, and have a tremendous respect for the guys who do the laundry in cramped quarters on the lowest deck of the ship!

How do I go about taking this "Behind the Fun Tour?" I've seen it recommended here at Cruise Critic A LOT, but it doesn't show up as an excursion for me. I'm assuming there must be some other way to sign up.

Also... there must be something incredibly wrong with me if I'm actually looking to spend some of my vacation time to watch people do laundry.

They offered it during the cruise, and it is well worth the price!

Go to the Excursions desk as soon as you board. On some ships it sells out fast.

Behind the Fun tours is an excellent choice. You do have to book it on the ship and it fills up fast. You get to visit the backstage area and chat with the head dancer, laundry room, storage areas, galley, very interesting and a chat with the head chef. The very best part is a trip to the Bridge and a chat with the Captain. If your lucky, you get to stand on the clear glass square on the bridge and look down at the water. Amazing. I'm sure I'm missing some other areas also. You visit the crew are also, and I was pleasantly surprised to see a really nice lounge for the crew.

It's over 3 hours long. You get photos with the Head Chef, and Captain, (on longer cruises) You receive some goodies when your done.

It's always the last sea day, and its one of my favorite things to do.

Oh, I forgot the Engine control room. Crew dining rooms.

They really cover a lot of areas. If your at all interested in how the other half lives, you will love it.

Oh, on the Legend, you also get to chat with the Head Chef of the Golden Fleece restaurant, and he explains in great detail about the steak choices, and how its aged.

Anyway, I highly recommend taking the tour, on Fantasy class ships I believe its $55. on Spirit class $95. Well worth it to me.

RWolver672, I thought that bag was for popcorn:eek: Pink

I only used this service once, five years ago when they had a laundry special which I think was (fill the bag for 15.00) I would not have considered it, but my Mom insisted she need x y and z washed. I threw a couple of articles of clothing in the bag to fill it up.

I personally did not like the result. Mom thought it was all fine, so it may have been me and my fine tuned nostrils. Those items smelled funny, and I didnt wear them again on the that vacation, just because they smelled kind of stinky. Could have been a one time thing, but I have never considered using that service again, and would not use it in the future.

As much as I dont like to do laundry on vacation, I would rather do my own if the need arose. Just me though.