Diabetic on Caribbean Princess out of Ft Lauderdale

Meatman1

Hi,

Has anyone who is insulin dependent been able to board the ship before the "mass" at 12:30 pm due to the need to eat on a regular time schedule and to get your insulin into the refrigerator?

I have been on insulin since 1958, so consider me the source of information. I have never tried to buck the lines for this purpose because I keep my insulin in an insulated carrier. It is really not necessary to keep it cold; rather, it is important to keep it from becoming too warm.

Steve

I am also a diabetic and I agree. Get yourself a Frio wallet to keep your insulin in. Works great. As to eating on time, just have a snack with you to tide you over until you do get on the ship. I always carry glucose tablets with me just in case. I don't think you are going to be able to get priority boarding because you are diabetic. Many of us are.

Another option is to have lunch at the usual time and then proceed to the ship for checkin and boarding. If you count on being given boarding priority to get to lunch on time, that will be the time all boarding is delayed. Why run that risk?

Edited by paul929207

I am also a diabetic and I agree. Get yourself a Frio wallet to keep your insulin in. Works great. As to eating on time, just have a snack with you to tide you over until you do get on the ship. I always carry glucose tablets with me just in case. I don't think you are going to be able to get priority boarding because you are diabetic. Many of us are.

Ditto

I don't think you are going to be able to get priority boarding because you are diabetic. Many of us are.
No priority since it's so simple and easy to eat first and board later. Even handicapped assisted passengers don't board first but are spaced between all passengers, depending on their Captain's Circle level. Boarding later also means there'll be fewer lines and practically no wait.

I too have traveled many times as an insulin dependent diabetic.In the past I have used a small insulated lunch bag with two sides, one with my insulin and the other with my meds. I just bought one of the Frio wallets and will try it on a trip I have planned later this summer. Seems like it will work, is smaller than a lunch box.

There have been other threads about insulin on these boards. Some do not like to keep their meds in the fridge in the room but rather in the med center. It is your choice. It can be done. I have not had an issue with the in room cold box so I have always used that.

As far as lunch, I am with all the others, either eat before getting on the ship or bring some goodies along to have while waiting.

And above all, enjoy your cruise!

It is pretty easy to bring a little snack (some Nabs, peanuts, Power Bar, a protein drink, banana). Once you board, there will be several venues for eating something more substantial.

I am the cruise caretaker of a lifelong, insulin dependent, diabetic. We always plan for a delay. Always.

Although I have been a diabetic for years, I just asked my doctor about using storage devices to keep the insulin cool. He told me as someone else mentioned that keeping them cool is NOT necessary. As long as insulin doesn't exceed 86 degrees F. I am fine.