Is this a Scam?

joeyillinois

We returned from a 7 day Alaska Cruise on the Volendam on the 4th of June. I received a e-mail from a personal consultant from Holland America offering to help with a cruise. I'm assuming that it's a scam and deleted it -- but got a few now since we returned.

Did you book the cruise you just returned from directly with HAL using the internet or talking to whoever answered the phone? If so I think you probably would get an offer to let a HAL personal cruise consultant (PCC) handle your next cruise with HAL. If you aren't considering using a travel agent of your own choice I think you might be happy with having an actual person work with you on the next booking . We've cruised a lot, tried local travel agents, online travel agents, etc. and we intend to stick with our HAL PCC. She does a wonderful job for us--makes sure we get the dining arrangement we want, takes care of a couple of little minor preferences, watches for price reductions on destinations we have on our current "soon" list, etc. For us, the advantages others might offer in the way of onboard credit, price reductions, etc. haven't been enough to equal getting exactly what we want when we set up a cruise. Other CC'ers will have their own preferences and I'm sure they'll chime in here about those, but if you're going to let HAL do it for you anyway, there's no extra charge to use one of their people and it's much easier to just talk to the same person whenever you have a question. Once you're set up with a PCC, you won't get any more e-mails or calls than you ask for; they don't keep after you to buy something. At least that's been our experience.

Without seeing the actual email, it is impossible to determine whether the email is a scam or not. If you are thinking of booking another cruise, and you are uncertain as to the authenticity of the emails that you have been receiving, contact HAL here: http://www.hollandamerica.com/contactUs/WeWillCallYou.action?WT.ac=pnav_PlanBook_ContactPCC.

If you get something like this in the future, try posting the full e-mail text. That will help a lot in identifying it. If you know how to show the full e-mail headers and can post them, a knowledgeable person should be able to give you a pretty educated assessment.

The ful headers will show you lines like:

Return-Path:

Delivered-To:

Received:

X-Spam-Checker-Version:

X-Spam-Level:

X-Spam-Status:

X-Virus-Scan:

Received: from

Return-Path:

X-Envelope-From:

X-Envelope-To:

A whole bunch of Recieved froms that show everywhere the message hopped on its way to your little inbox

Content-Type:

Subject:

Date:

References:

To:

Message-Id:

Mime-Version:

X-Mailer:

The fields boldface, maroon type are shown by almost every mail program. The ones that are in regular type are the ones that help to determine the e-mail providence, so they're the most helpful to someone troubleshooting for you.

I guess I was surprised since I did book with HAL online in March and this was the first interest they have shown. I did go to the online question on HAL website (can't remember name) before we left. I wasn't happy that the price was 499 for new people with beverage package and we paid over 700, plus the port taxes.. The computer person said they'd check, but I was "timed out" and lost HAL web connection and basically then just gave up.

We had an enjoyable time, but too expensive.

And since the first e-mail appeared like I'd never cruised to Alaska it was strange.

Appears like this is some marketing tool. thanks

I was just looking at cruises I'm interested in and pricing them on the HAL website and not only did I get an email about the cruise I had looked at, I also received a phone call from a PCC.

I understand their need to sell cruises, but now I'm less inclined to even look.

Debbie

We receive e-mails from HAL at least one a week..It's not a scam!

We haven't cruised since Jan of 2013 when we were last on the Prinsendam & HAL wants us to book again..

We use a TA, but also have had a HAL PCC both call us & send us introduction e-mails, just in case we are ready to book..This came from HAL June 20 -

Explore remote corners of the world aboard ms Prinsendam June 20, 2014 4:36 PM

From: Holland America Line "Holland America Line" <hollandamerica@e.hollandamerica.com>;

To: XXXXXXX

Reply To: Holland America Line "Holland America Line" <support-b69tdddafmw0gzauyxd0kd3eh68994@e.hollandamerica.com>;

External images are not displayed. Display Images - Always display images sent from e.hollandamerica.com or hollandamerica@e.hollandamerica.com

World wonders await in luxurious comfort

Step aboard the ms Prinsendam, our most intimate ship, and be surrounded by gracious touches and a refined ambiance. You’ll travel with just 835 fellow guests to the remote corners of the world.

Discover the ms Prinsendam — videos, virtual tours and more.

Europe

14 to 36 days from $1,299*

Plus, Summer on Sale

Grand Mediterranean

17 to 55 days from $2,299*

Grand Voyages — South America

31 to 68 days from $7,299*

South America

28 days from $3,999*

Holiday — Caribbean

16 days from $2,499*

Transatlantic

16 to 30 days from $1,299*

Welcome John XXXX ID # XXXXXXXXX Rewards Status: 4 Star Mariner

Call your travel professional Call us at 1-866-920-2332 Find cruises online

UNQUOTE

Edited by serendipity1499

Had to smile at the recent topic here. We have cruised with 14 different cruise lines (and 2 River cruise lines) and routinely book with multiple cruise agencies (whoever gives me good service and the best deals gets my business). In a normal week we can get approximately 50+ e-mails from the various lines and agencies. And then there is "snail mail" where we get several pounds of cruise line (and cruise agency) solicitations/brochures every week. The worst is Viking River Cruises which sends us 3 of everything (and they have a lot of things) despite several of our e-mails suggesting they could improve their bottom line if they only sent us one of everything :).

But the darn e-mails are just something we learn to live with...and quickly delete. It costs cruise lines and agencies next to nothing to send out 10s of thousands of e-mails per week. With tracking cookies, many companies (including cruise lines) can often identify anyone who used their web site and quickly target them for even more e-mails. Welcome to the 21st Century! And my goodness, just consider that HAL still does not even have menu systems installed on their onboard Televisions. But they sure can send e-mails :)

Hank

We booked a few cruises through a PCC. She called a few weeks ago because I'd checked the HAL website after getting a sale offer. She said that when users log in at the HAL site, their PCCs receive notice.

She was pushing hard for a sale....