MSC vs HAL?

HatRez

My bro-in-law called and asked for our opinion on MSC. They've never cruised before and have two boys, 11 and 8. Friends of theirs have invited them along on a holiday.

We have only ever cruised HAL so we couldn't really provide him with advice on this line specifically. What are some of the pros and cons of MSC for a young family and maybe how it would differ from our experience on HAL?

Thanks for any help you can provide.

We've done both and with kids would always choose MSC over HAL. I'm sure HAL is a good fit for it's target demographic (North Americans, 70+), but it's not the right choice with kids.

- MSC is much younger and much more international

- Meat dishes are better on HAL, fish, pasta and cheeses are better on MSC

- the ship and the cabins are cleaner on MSC

- MSC ships have a more stylish design

- bottled water and wine is cheaper on MSC, but tap water (for those who care) and ice tea is not free, at least not in Europe

- MDR service and cabin stewards are comparable

- bar waiters on MSC usually wait for guests to make contact sometimes it's a little hard to get their attention

- MSC shows are more visual, more interesting for kids

- the MSC kids club has much longer hours and more activities

We've done both and with kids would always choose MSC over HAL. I'm sure HAL is a good fit for it's target demographic (North Americans, 70+), but it's not the right choice with kids.

- MSC is much younger and much more international

- Meat dishes are better on HAL, fish, pasta and cheeses are better on MSC

- the ship and the cabins are cleaner on MSC

- MSC ships have a more stylish design

- bottled water and wine is cheaper on MSC, but tap water (for those who care) and ice tea is not free, at least not in Europe

- MDR service and cabin stewards are comparable

- bar waiters on MSC usually wait for guests to make contact sometimes it's a little hard to get their attention

- MSC shows are more visual, more interesting for kids

- the MSC kids club has much longer hours and more activities

Really??? You have to pay for tap water from a spigot while sailing MSC in Europe? Even at restaurants in Germany I could get tap water for free. Had to pay for bottle water but if specifically requesting tap water it was free (along with a weird damn look).

Really??? You have to pay for tap water from a spigot while sailing MSC in Europe? Even at restaurants in Germany I could get tap water for free. Had to pay for bottle water but if specifically requesting tap water it was free (along with a weird damn look).

Tap water is free in the buffet area for 24 hours.

In the MDR tap water is not provided on the tables and one is expected to buy bottled water. Having said that bookings through MSC USA provides each guest with 2 vouchers a day for bottled water. Those who book in Europe don't get this.

With the allegrissimo package bottled water is provided free everywhere.

My friends while sailing in Europe with MSC simply asked for tap water and got it.

We sailed on HAL's ship with a kid. It was a good cruise (not perfect), but kids camp was not really good. Our son ended up playing basketball all the time.

Edited by Tatka

Tap water is free in the buffet area for 24 hours.

In the MDR tap water is not provided on the tables and one is expected to buy bottled water. Having said that bookings through MSC USA provides each guest with 2 vouchers a day for bottled water. Those who book in Europe don't get this.

With the allegrissimo package bottled water is provided free everywhere.

Okay, so their expectations are as in Europe where no one (other than me) drinks tap water (hence the WTH? looks). So, granted, while one may be expected to buy bottled water in the MDR, can one request and be granted free tap water? I know this may sound weird, but personally, I don't care for bottled water.......probably because so many times that I tried to get bottled regular water in Europe I was often sold bottled sparkling water. :eek: <gross> Or maybe they just wanted to see me spit it out......who knows? :confused:

So, I guess the question is, will my waiter run into the kitchen with a glass and hold it under a spigot for a couple of seconds and then bring it back to my table with a smile on their face???

Okay, so their expectations are as in Europe where no one (other than me) drinks tap water (hence the WTH? looks). So, granted, while one may be expected to buy bottled water in the MDR, can one request and be granted free tap water? I know this may sound weird, but personally, I don't care for bottled water.......probably because so many times that I tried to get bottled regular water in Europe I was often sold bottled sparkling water. :eek: <gross> Or maybe they just wanted to see me spit it out......who knows? :confused:

So, I guess the question is, will my waiter run into the kitchen with a glass and hold it under a spigot for a couple of seconds and then bring it back to my table with a smile on their face???

Well you may well get gap water, not sure about the smile though......!

If you return to Europe and happen to be on MSC, say you want naturale or just natural water to get bottles of still water. Elsewhere just try emphasising no gas, unless you want me to give you that in a few languages?

My bro-in-law called and asked for our opinion on MSC. They've never cruised before and have two boys, 11 and 8. Friends of theirs have invited them along on a holiday.

We have only ever cruised HAL so we couldn't really provide him with advice on this line specifically. What are some of the pros and cons of MSC for a young family and maybe how it would differ from our experience on HAL?

I have always gotten a pitcher of water on MSC after asking for it the first night. I have only done the Caribbean though.

The shows are outstanding on MSC.

Kids 11 and under go free and 11-17 about $199 plus taxes if with parents in same room.

Not even a choice with kids, HAL has a much older crowd, like me and I still go MSC.

Given the age of the kids ( 8 and 11), I would venture to say that the parents are way too young for HAL. We're older ( 50 and 60's) and have done both lines. By no means do we fit in with the party crowd anymore...but HAL was way too quiet for us. In bed at 9 pm with a good book quiet.

I vote for MSC!

Hi there,

If the question is "if they should accept the invitation" - yes, of course. That's the advice.

If you ask to compare your experience with HAL - what is your experience with HAL to begin with? :) HAL ships differ like day and night.

And what MSC ship - they differ the same way.

Given the age of the kids ( 8 and 11), I would venture to say that the parents are way too young for HAL. We're older ( 50 and 60's) and have done both lines. By no means do we fit in with the party crowd anymore...but HAL was way too quiet for us. In bed at 9 pm with a good book quiet.

I vote for MSC!

Well, while I also vote for MSC, I do not agree about age. It really depends on itinerary and season. We sailed on Zuiderdam in August (2004), and there was regular summer crowd. Many familes with kids. At that time we were 31-32 and 12 years old and while we were younger than median cruiser on that ship... did not feel out of place. I think median age was 40-45.

There is no comparison.

HAL wins hands down. It is a premium cruise line. We used to think Carnival was the bottom feeder, there's no doubt that title belongs to MSC.

No way on both counts.

Premium lines provide better service. HAL's at best is inconsistent.

MSC is way more elegant line than Carnival.

There is no comparison.

HAL wins hands down. It is a premium cruise line. We used to think Carnival was the bottom feeder, there's no doubt that title belongs to MSC.

MSC worse than Carnival? With all due respect, what world are you living in? We have sailed both and won't ever set foot on a Carnival ship again. We stayed in the Divina's Yacht Club and found it to be the best experience of our 18 cruises. We also spent time in the rest of the ship and found it to be delightful.

Edited by Danbee46

MSC worse than Carnival? With all due respect, what world are you living in? We have sailed both and won't ever set foot on a Carnival ship again. We stayed in the Divina's Yacht Club and found it to be the best experience of our 18 cruises. We also spent time in the rest of the ship and found it to be delightful.

Couldn't agree more! My first cruise was on Carnival and I thought at the time that I'd never cruise again. Since sailing with MSC I find it difficult to even consider other lines.

Well you may well get gap water, not sure about the smile though......!

If you return to Europe and happen to be on MSC, say you want naturale or just natural water to get bottles of still water. Elsewhere just try emphasising no gas, unless you want me to give you that in a few languages?

I know in Germany it is called Leitungswasser. :)

As an American in Europe on MSC you will get free water, I like you have no problem with tap water but they do not serve it in the dining room. But you will get a booklet for free for water .

I would still be embarrassed to order that Leitungswasser in Germany. It would look incredibly cheap and stingy. When we are in the US,we usually also order bottled water, since the kids won't drink the tap water (they don't like the taste of chlorine and prefer carbonated water).

Tap water is not neccessarily with chlorine. I would hate water with chlorine.

But I never tried German tap water, so I have no idea. Maybe it has strong chlorine taste. I remember tap water in Ukraine tasted horrible. It is different here in US, plus there are so many different filters if this is not enough. Britta does wonders.

Edited by Tatka

Thanks, didn't know that one. My German is limited to Black Forest Cherry Cake (I was at school in the 70s when that was all the rage) and I'm a 14 year old school girl and not much more I can recall! all of which is completely useless now!

I tend to stick to Latin based languages...so much easier although I can ask for a large red wine and for directions to the Ladies in Danish. You can tell where my priorities lie!

Tap water is not neccessarily with chlorine. I would hate water with chlorine.

But I never tried German tap water, so I have no idea. Maybe it has strong chlorine taste. I remember tap water in Ukraine tasted horrible. It is different here in US, plus there are so many different filters if this is not enough. Britta does wonders.

I'm a devoted fan of Britta water filter jugs, had them for years. Then again there is absolutely nothing wrong with Scottish water, we tend to export it far and wide in one form or another.