Children permitted in Normandie on Summit?

Robin Gail

We sailed on the Summit to Bermuda on June 22nd. We are in our early 60's and had our 8 year old grandaughter with us. We would have liked to dine in Normandie. Our grandaughter is very mature for her age and loves to dress up and dine in fine restaurants but I clearly understand their concerns for allowing children in a fine restaurant. Everything I read clearly states that you must be 12 or older to dine in Normandie so we never questioned it. I was chatting with the person who was trying to get people to make a reservation for the specialty restaurants (they had tables set up outside of the buffet area). He asked if we would like a reservation to Normandie. I told him we would have loved one but our grandaughter is only 8 and the age limit is 12. He told me that the policy has been changed and they are trying to be more kid friendly and she would be welcome to dine there. I was very annoyed at this point because it was the end of the cruise and there were no times left that suited us.

Has anyone else taken their children to Normandie? If this is the case they need to let people know earlier in the cruise.

Hi Robin. I've heard that Royal Caribbean have recently changed their rules to allow children under 12 to dine at speciality restaurants, with kids menus and prices also...but I believe they must dine before 7pm or thereabouts. Now Celebrity and Royal don't do everything the same but often they do 'copy' eaxh other ..like the implementation of the recent online cruise calendar ....so maybe Celebrity have followed suit with the under 12 dining policy....but alas no surprises that they have not done a good job in communicating the change. Time will tell [emoji5]️[emoji6]

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Have not heard of a rule change but would like to know...

From our past and recent experiences, specialty restaurants on Royal are not same caliber as Normandie....There should be one place to dine on X that is adult only ..and not just after a certain hour. Something the younger ones can look forward to when they are the suggested age.

Tuscan might be more suitable for youngsters as it takes less time for full dinner service,, yet is nice enough to be special!

Nothing against anyone's well behaved children but of course the rule would apply to ALL.....and some are just not ready for a long, formal meal. Just my opinion...but Normandie, Murano etc would lose appeal for us ...

No doubt your granddaughter is well behaved, but one reason we eat in the speciality restaurants is the the quiet atmosphere. Age isn't really that determination as we were in Muranos every night on an Alaska cruise and there was one table several nights that were adults, and they were loud and obnoxious. I wish people any age would remember that people go to these restaurants for a quiet relaxing dinner.

No doubt your granddaughter is well behaved, but one reason we eat in the speciality restaurants is the the quiet atmosphere. Age isn't really that determination as we were in Muranos every night on an Alaska cruise and there was one table several nights that were adults, and they were loud and obnoxious. I wish people any age would remember that people go to these restaurants for a quiet relaxing dinner.

Good point!

I think that X may have out priced its specialty restaurants. On my recent Connie cruise they were aggressively trying to sign people up for the specialties, offering 20 - 30% discounts. This could be the reason for relaxing the age limit.

Funny that Disney strictly enforces its age limit of 18 years old for its specialty restaurants (which are very good).

I agree. I have dined in many specialties and found some adults to be worse than many children. I also enjoy a nice quiet dining experience.

We took our 8 year old in to Normandie over 4 years ago. We took him and introduced him to the manager and there was no issue.

B.

Good to know. Next time I will do the same. I'm not usually one to question the rules but I guess next time I will.

You know, rules are rules, and I'm not one to try and circumvent them, and we didn't with any of our boys. If there's an age limit, there's a limit, and if people ask if an exception can be made for their child, then why even have a rule? I don't care how well behaved a child is, there needs to be places that an adult can enjoy without kids around. And to those who want a rule exception, you're putting the person who's in charge of the venue in an impossible situation. Do you really think they're going to say no, right to your face? Please, let places like Normandie/Murano/SS United States/Ocean Liners keep their age limit. I mean, it's not as if there aren't other places for your child to eat.

You know, rules are rules, and I'm not one to try and circumvent them, and we didn't with any of our boys. If there's an age limit, there's a limit, and if people ask if an exception can be made for their child, then why even have a rule? I don't care how well behaved a child is, there needs to be places that an adult can enjoy without kids around. And to those who want a rule exception, you're putting the person who's in charge of the venue in an impossible situation. Do you really think they're going to say no, right to your face? Please, let places like Normandie/Murano/SS United States/Ocean Liners keep their age limit. I mean, it's not as if there aren't other places for your child to eat.

Love my Grandchildren but can't imagine why any child under 12 wants or needs to sit though a two hour plus dinner. When we are required to pay a $50.00 P.P. upcharge it needs to be Adults only. As someone already mentioned, Disney ships also have a Adults only restaurant.

Love my Grandchildren but can't imagine why any child under 12 wants or needs to sit though a two hour plus dinner. When we are required to pay a $50.00 P.P. upcharge it needs to be Adults only. As someone already mentioned, Disney ships also have a Adults only restaurant.

All children are different. Some love fine dining. I would bet that my 12 year old has more Michelin stars under his belt than most adults.

B.

Score!

All children are different. Some love fine dining. I would bet that my 12 year old has more Michelin stars under his belt than most adults.

B.

It's not about your beloved child. It's about the adults who expect a venue that is meant to be for adults only, remain ADULTS ONLY. If you want to insist on breaking the rules then do it at a land based restaurant where children might be welcome. It's sad that some people feel that their kids are so special that everyone should accept them wherever their parents or grandparents take them.

It's not about your beloved child. It's about the adults who expect a venue that is meant to be for adults only, remain ADULTS ONLY. If you want to insist on breaking the rules then do it at a land based restaurant where children might be welcome. It's sad that some people feel that their kids are so special that everyone should accept them wherever their parents or grandparents take them.

A little harsh for someone who's son is allowed to dine in that venue! I don't think you make the rules:rolleyes: It is Not Adults Only!

"Guests 12 years or older are welcome"

A little harsh for someone who's son is allowed to dine in that venue! I don't think you make the rules:rolleyes: It is Not Adults Only!

If you will look back a few posts you will see that they took their child there when he was 8, not 12. Please check your facts before correcting anyone else.

If you will look back a few posts you will see that they took their child there when he was 8, not 12. Please check your facts before correcting anyone else.

Agreed - not harsh at all. Some parents seem to think that their little darlings should be welcome in all adult venues, no matter what the rules are. There's NOTHING wrong with having SOME venues reserved for adults only - and enforced! As has been mentioned, even Disney does that.

Agreed - not harsh at all. Some parents seem to think that their little darlings should be welcome in all adult venues, no matter what the rules are. There's NOTHING wrong with having SOME venues reserved for adults only - and enforced! As has been mentioned, even Disney does that.

Yes but Celebrity does not have any dining venues reserved for adults only:D

Yes but Celebrity does not have any dining venues reserved for adults only:D

They DO have some reserved for over 12 only... Which is what this thread has been about (pay attention!) If the rule is over 12 for the venue, don't put the host or maitre 'd in the tough position of having to turn you away - its all about respect for the stated rules AND the other diners.