Best Price for Bacardi Rum

We are scheduled to board the Carnival Valor this Sunday (yippee!), and I have had a request from my DH to bring him back some Bacardi Rum, either Oakheart or Select.

We are visiting the Bacardi factory on Sunday before we leave, but it seems like I read somewhere that it may be cheaper to buy this on another one of the islands. Does anyone know where I can find the best price?

We are visiting St. Kitts, St. Lucia, St. Thomas, St. Maarten and Barbados.

Thanks for your help!

I'll probably get flamed.

But, going to the Caribbean and bringing back Bacardi (even Oakheart or Select) is like going to Germany and bringing back Bud Light. Or going to Belgium and bringing back Hershey's Chocolate.

Much better rums are available than the same Bacardi that you can get at home.

But, going to the Caribbean and bringing back Bacardi (even Oakheart or Select) is like going to Germany and bringing back Bud Light. Or going to Belgium and bringing back Hershey's Chocolate.

I agree with you, but everyone has their own tastes. We prefer Saint James or Negreto which are not easily found in the US. Very smooth. We have purchased these in Martinque, picked up the St James in Gilbrater a month ago. Barcardi is so available everywhere in the US and not expensive anywhere.

We are visiting the Bacardi factory on Sunday before we leave, but it seems like I read somewhere that it may be cheaper to buy this on another one of the islands. Does anyone know where I can find the best price?

Yes, I'm afraid that's a chance you will have to take. You need to decide when and where to buy it, do so, and then let go of it after that. Earlier this year we cruised and my husband purchased his beloved Mount Gay Rum (very nice - would yours consider it?? :) ) for what he considered to be an excellent price at a duty-free store at one of our ports. Of course, next port we took an excursion which stopped at the Tortuga Rum factory and there was his rum for $3 cheaper. I mean, no biggie - but if you find a good price then you should be prepared to stop looking, or at least try not to be upset about it if you do find it cheaper! LOL

Having said that, we have found excellent prices on liquor at both St. Maarten and St. Thomas. If you dock at Havensight in St. Thomas, the KMart down the street has some excellent prices on liquor.

Oh, and as I said my DH loves Mount Gay Rum. They make an extra old rum which is beautiful. If you want a really nice gift for him (maybe for Christmas or something!), Mount Gay Extra Old Rum is divine. :)

We were in Australia on a trip a few years ago. We went into a liquor store to buy some wine and noted that among the Australian beers was Bud at about $16 per 6-pack. So I guess that there are people who just do not like their local brews.

DON

Thanks everyone for the advice. We're not very adventurous drinkers so we are definitely open to suggestions. I know he just wanted to try something new and different so I think trying one of the other rums is an excellent idea.

Every ship I've been on has had an excellent selection of liquor at really good prices. It never crossed my mind to buy anything off ship.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

And some ships have a "price match" of the best prices at the ports (although they will change the price depending on the ports)

We are scheduled to board the Carnival Valor this Sunday (yippee!), and I have had a request from my DH to bring him back some Bacardi Rum, either Oakheart or Select.

We are visiting St. Kitts, St. Lucia, St. Thomas, St. Maarten and Barbados.

Thanks for your help!

The rum of choice for Puerto Rican's is Don Q not Bacardi. I always find alcohol on the ships to be more $ than buying it on shore. Yes, the ship will price match the same alcohol, but that tells you they are already higher in price, so what are you saving.

I know you asked about Rum, if interested in Vodka, I have found good prices on alcohol in St. Kitts. A one liter bottle of Absolute there is $12 and in St. Thomas it was $15. Found (2) 1 liter bottles of Grey Goose for $45 in both St. Maarten on Front St. and in St. Kitts. St. Thomas wanted $50 for (2) 1 liter bottles of Grey Goose.

There are many stores on Front St. in Philipsburg St. Maartin that you can just walk in and out to check their liquor prices.

IMHO You need to weigh DH's request for Bacardi against bringing him back something he can't buy in the States. I only buy alcohol on cruises that I can't buy at home, as it is inconvenient to bring bottles home when flying. I ask the shopkeeper which bottles can't be bought in the States and go from there.

I think it was in Barbados that I discovered Doorleys XO rum. It is aged in a Sherry cask and is sooooo good (I don't drink Sherry otherwise). The only problem then is having a new favorite that can't be purchased until the next cruise to that same country!

DH is lucky to have a DW bringing home a treat...I'm sure he'll be happy no matter what you bring!

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Forums mobile app

Prices in St. Thomas were pretty good when we were there in December. I will add Bones rum to the list. Good rum and only available in St. Thomas. I got mine from Dynasty on the main street.

In PR, Bacardi was pretty cheap at the duty free shop upstairs at the port. White (Superior), Dark (Select) and Gold were $5/liter when we were there. OakHeart and 8 YO were a bit more. Since you are touring the factory, splurge a bit and get DH a bottle of Reserva Limitada. It is very good and usually hard to find in the states.

As a rum drinker myself, I think Bacardi is a crap rum.

A friend was so happy to bring my back a bottle that she bought on some stop in the Caribbean, maybe San Juan, in the factory shop.

I very politely said thanks of course.

The bottle was made in Brampton, Ontario. 20 minutes from her house. Yep, it is sold in the Caribbean. Read the label carefully! I never did tell her :D

I am a Mount Gay drinker (extra old is very good ;)), they have a few nice ones. I have a lovely 21 year old bottle of El Dorado, which I sip.

Check if the rum you buy in any of the islands is actually made there. Ask for a specialty that they make. Rum in oak casts is for someone who enjoys that taste, just as there are rums with vanilla beans in it (Bois Bandé in St. Lucia). There are lots of wonderful rums out there!

Edited by sun~

The San Juan airport has duty free stores. We have flown nonstop from there to home. If you purchase past the security they put it in a nylon carrier with a tiestrap seal and you take it on the plane with you. Just like the old days. It is after customs so you get as much as you want.

Thanks everyone for the advice. We're not very adventurous drinkers so we are definitely open to suggestions. I know he just wanted to try something new and different so I think trying one of the other rums is an excellent idea.

If you are looking for something new and different, have you or your husband tried Guavaberry Rum? Some of their rums are Mash-up, Republic aged 5 years and Republic aged 8 years. They also have a Guavaberry Liquor that has an interesting flavor. You can only find this in St Martin. My wife and I make sure to buy enough bottles to last us until next time we travel to the island again.