Cheers Program Changes

winddawn

Carnival has changed the Cheers program rules and is now selling Cheers on 3 day cruises. BUT --- the cost for Cheers on the 3 day cruises is $69.95 per day instead of the usual $49.95 per day on cruises longer than 3 days (plus the usual 15% gratuity).

So on a 3 day cruise that makes the cost of Cheers roughly $241.33 per person, more than the cost of many 3 day cruises! So with 2 passengers in a cabin buying Cheers that comes to about $482.66.

https://www.goccl.com/~/media/Files/Irman/bookccl/shipboard_knowledge/My_Awesome_Bar_Program.pdf

Do passengers on 3 day cruises drink that much more than those people that take longer cruises?

Is Cheers worth $241.33 per person for a 3 day cruise?

I think this is stupid. Carnival is just being overly zealous in shedding their party image, with their strict rules and high prices in the Cheers program. Wit the $20 price difference per day, people will drink more just to recover the cost, rather than for state or to get a buzz. So in the end, Carnival will end up with the same kind of drunken revelry they're trying to thwart. But who said Carnival suits were smart.

Having said that, 3-day cruises are mostly done by locals, so they're the ones who'll still come out ahead. $241.33 is less than what most people spend on a plane ticket and their pre-cruise hotel combined. For the rest of us, it's a better value to do a 4-day cruise, in terms of both the cruise price and the cost of Cheers. Because $49.95 * 4 = $199.80, and: $69.95 * 3 = $209.85 (plus gratuities).

Edited by LandlockedCruiser01

I seriously do not notice any more drunk people on 3-day cruises than I do on 7-day cruises :/ I must not be in the right places.

Me either. And I've been on 3 4-day cruises. Never a 3-day so maybe that one day makes a difference. In any case, makes no sense for people on 3-day cruises to buy it but Carnival was smart to do it, because folks will buy it thinking they have a good deal. Most cruisers are not on CC estimating the cost and break even point. ;)

I seriously do not notice any more drunk people on 3-day cruises than I do on 7-day cruises :/ I must not be in the right places.

Have you sailed out of Los Angeles? I ask because I have done a 3 day out of LA and a five day out of Port Canaveral and the FL was a completely different demographic. Lots of bachelor/bachelorette parties, lots of college kids on a long weekend on the 3 day. I could easily see these groups buying the program and since a LOT of people don't get off the ship in Ensenada, it hardly counts as a port day.

Have you sailed out of Los Angeles? I ask because I have done a 3 day out of LA and a five day out of Port Canaveral and the FL was a completely different demographic. Lots of bachelor/bachelorette parties, lots of college kids on a long weekend on the 3 day. I could easily see these groups buying the program and since a LOT of people don't get off the ship in Ensenada, it hardly counts as a port day.

No, I've only sailed out of Florida and Seattle.

I drink a lot and that doesn't seen worth it.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Exactly my thoughts. I'd have to work really hard to make it worthwhile at that price.

Maybe I'm naïve but I can't imagine that this will work for Carnival. The only people who would buy Cheers at that price are people that drink A LOT or people who have more money than they know what to do with.