Steak House

Can they tell the difference at home if you serve them steak and they can tell the difference between choice, select or prime, or do they even notice?

If not, save your $$. It's $20 per steak, and a $15 tip on top of the meals and tip you already paid for in the MDR.

Can they tell the difference at home if you serve them steak and they can tell the difference between choice, select or prime, or do they even notice?

If not, save your $$. It's $20 per steak, and a $15 tip on top of the meals and tip you already paid for in the MDR.

If they can't stick with the Flat Iron steak in the MDR and save your money.

For my wife and I it's totally worth it! Think Ruth's Chris or something along that line.

It was the best speciality dinner restaurant we have ever eaten at. Including some luxury lines. Both food and presentation was excellent and the pretty servers were well trained. I would do it again. it was the only really elegant night onboard. Forget the MDR which was so noisy I could not hold a conversation with tablemates.

Edited by dorisis

For my wife and I it's totally worth it! Think Ruth's Chris or something along that line.

Ruth's Chris serves Prime (top 2% of beef); the steak in the steakhouse might be better than in the MDR, but I can almost guarantee it is not Prime.

After 6 nights of dumbed down food in the MDR, having dinner in the Steakhouse is a wonderful way to counter those low end experiences. The comparision to Ruth Chris' is accurate. I prefer the filet mignon, the surf and turf, or the rack of lamb, followed by the cheesecake dessert.

Ruth's Chris serves Prime (top 2% of beef); the steak in the steakhouse might be better than in the MDR, but I can almost guarantee it is not Prime.

Actually, it is Prime.

Ten cruises and we are doing the steakhouse on our upcoming cruise.

My husband stopped bringing a suit about 3 cruises ago. He does dress slacks, dress shirt, and tie in the main dining room now. Will the same be acceptable in the steakhouse or will a jacket be required?

Edited by teacher32

My guys are STEAK LOVERS! Is it really as good as they say for the extra money?

I did a review of my experience with the steakhouse on the Valor in the separate thread that appeared on this topic last week (or was it the week before?). In brief, your guys are going to think this experience is well worth the money.

My husband stopped bringing a suit about 3 cruises ago. He does dress slacks, dress shirt, and tie in the main dining room now. Will the same be acceptable in the steakhouse or will a jacket be required?

As Phil Collins once said, "No Jacket Required". The official dress code for all nights in the steakhouse is "cruise elegant", and hubby is well beyond that minimum.

It's amazingly good and yes, worth the money. Depending on your kids ages, are they foodies? I mean, I would think that an average 8 year old might not appreciate a fine meal, but I know from master Chef Junior that there are some not-so-average kids to.

The food is amazingly good - in all 5 cruises having eaten at the Steakhouse, I had one "bad" experience (undercooked, then overcooked meat - It was made better though so the service alone is impeccable).

I go on the first evening for the free bottle of wine!

It was one of the best steaks we have ever had including prime beef from the Western part of the US. The one we had this year on the RCI cruise we took was not even close to being as good as the steakhouse on the Valor. I am looking forward to dining in a CCL steakhouse again in 2016. Definitely worth the money in my opinion and much, much better than the steak in the MDR.

I would say that the steak house is a nice change. The filet is the way to go as the other cuts can be quite fatty. The meal all together is a lot of food and worth the extra money. To compare it to the flat iron steak is ridiculous. The flat iron steak tastes like horse meat. My opinion, since you asked, is to try the steak house and decide for yourself if you like it. Just make sure to skip the afternoon snack and go hungry.

Was not comparing the steaks to each other. Was stating that if the kids did not know the difference why spend the $. Sheesh!

Edited by WindsorFred

Last time we went, I cannot remember if hubby wore a suit or just shirt/tie/pants. But I do specifically remember sitting next to a guy in a polo shirt and jeans, because DH commented on it. He and his companion were dressed in very high quality clothes, but it still seemed a little too casual. But shirt/tie/pants should be just fine.

Thanks to everyone for your input. yes, my kids know the difference between a great cut of beef. lol As much as I love the MDR, mainly because we are together as a family, we got sick of the same stuff every night. My kids are older and I thought they would appreciate something different. Sounds like it is a great choice. Thanks everyone.

It is prime. The servers explain that and it's also spelled out on the menu. I get the impression you've never had dinner at the steakhouse.

I just got off the Legend with my sons, ages 12 and 14. They are steak lovers and were very excited to visit the steak house.

Please others don't throw tomatoes at me, because I know many people loved it, but it wasn't worth it for us. The food was just too "fancy" for the boys ... and in my opinion the steaks were very fatty. I had a hard time separating the fat from the meet when cutting my youngest steak, and although when I cook steak at home they eat every last bite, they ate less then 1/2 of these steaks.

The desserts though were incredible. However, it isn't something I would take the kids to again.

I just got off the Legend with my sons, ages 12 and 14. They are steak lovers and were very excited to visit the steak house.

Please others don't throw tomatoes at me, because I know many people loved it, but it wasn't worth it for us. The food was just too "fancy" for the boys ... and in my opinion the steaks were very fatty. I had a hard time separating the fat from the meet when cutting my youngest steak, and although when I cook steak at home they eat every last bite, they ate less then 1/2 of these steaks.

The desserts though were incredible. However, it isn't something I would take the kids to again.

I would have sent the steaks back if they were fatty as you say. What cut did you order? I would agree with you that the Steakhouse really isn't for kids younger than 15 or 16, it's too long of a meal.

One of my kids got a Cowboy Steak, and the other got a ribeye. I got the NY Strip. Mine wasn't fatty, however, it was a bit dry.

Perhaps I should have sent them back but I didn't. The service staff was exceptional I do want to note.

Edited by FloridaMommyof3

I have never ever worn a jacket to the steakhouse. And this is from a guy who has worn a tux and a suit to the MDR on formal nights.

Not have I.

I would have sent the steaks back if they were fatty as you say. What cut did you order? I would agree with you that the Steakhouse really isn't for kids younger than 15 or 16, it's too long of a meal.

We can do the steakhouse in 2 hours. Used to be 30 minutes longer than the MDR. Now it's almost the same with the slowed down service. And if a kid can sit for a 2 1/2 hour movie, they can sit for a dinner. It never feels like 2 hours.