Duty Free on the Equinox? - Jewelry Specifically:)

HammerTownGal

Hello Everyone

I am going to be on the Equinox this coming September. I would like to purchase diamond studs and gold hoops...do they have "sales" on board? I will be headed to Dubrovnik, Mykonos, Istanbul etc. I am worried about purchasing something that isn't "real" so I thought I would buy on the ship instead. Is it cheaper to buy at the beginning of the cruise? Or the end?

Any info would be greatly appreciated...:) Thanks.

Remember that duty free doesn't mean that you might not have to pay duty. It means that the shop didn't pay duty and can offer it to you at a lesser price. But if you buy enough to exceed your country's duty free allowance you could still have to pay after you declare it as you go home

duty free does not necessarily mean better price.

Think of ship stores more in terms of impulse buy, customers with money in environment with limited ability to price check and where they have time to kill.

I can't speak for Dubrovnik or Istanbul but I, and a few friends I was traveling with, have bought gold jewelry in Greece - Santorini, Mykonos and Naxos - and have had no issues whatsoever. These places depend on tourism. Plus if you buy something local it will be much more unique than anything you're likely to buy on the ship.

Go to your local jeweler, someone in your community 52 weeks a year,

Supports your Little League, civic organizations and employs your neighbors and friends.

We've spent 30 + years importing diamonds and have been on over 40 cruises

The "deals" are at best a legitimate retail price after they mark it up to mark it down. We're currently in St Maarten, when we get back we'll advise some

Local Jewelers to raise their prices so the are competitive with the

Retailers who do nothing but take your money.

Enjoy your trip but be careful, your ripe for the taking.

There are no bargains! There were some beautiful earrings I saw on a cruise, they were $3000. I did not get them.,however when I found them on a very trusted website in New York, for less than half....I bought them!

It is really hard to compare jewelry, being a diamond, gold and etc. It is almost the same as a chain store claiming that they will beat or price match anyone price. Problem is they are so large that almost everything they sell has their own model number even though it is the same product that is being sold elsewhere.

As others have suggusted buy it from a local retailer. When on a cruise you won't be dealing with ignorant pheasants willing to trade for beads or bottle caps, most times you will be the one ending up with the sort end of the deal.

Cruise on 🌊🚢🇺🇸🌅

Buy locally. I have been in the jewelry industry for over 35 years. I do appraisals all week long on items bought on cruise ships and in ports. Rarely do I see a client who has gotten a good deal. Usually paid more than they could have bought from their local jeweler. Research diamond studs before you go. Know what size, color, clarity etc that you want. I see a lot of poorly cut stones coming from the islands. Be careful. Ask for lab certs if large stones from GIA. There are a lost of BS labs giving out papers claiming the stones are higher grades and worth more than they actually are. I go to the " jewelry seminars" on board and try to keep a straight face. They are loaded with misinformation. Find a local jeweler you can trust.

I think the OP wanted info about buying jewellery onboard and not at home. I've had some wonderful purchases overseas as long as you know the market and prices back home. And valuations at home came back really positive.

Thanks everyone! I really don't know too much about diamonds (in terms of cut, clarity etc.) so I have no idea what I really want....I will have to educate myself before I go. It's not like I have money to burn lol:) Maybe a cruise isn't the best place to buy jewelry...I may just get some simple hoops in Greece:)

Thanks for all the info.

Buy locally. I have been in the jewelry industry for over 35 years. I do appraisals all week long on items bought on cruise ships and in ports. Rarely do I see a client who has gotten a good deal. Usually paid more than they could have bought from their local jeweler. Research diamond studs before you go. Know what size, color, clarity etc that you want. I see a lot of poorly cut stones coming from the islands. Be careful. Ask for lab certs if large stones from GIA. There are a lost of BS labs giving out papers claiming the stones are higher grades and worth more than they actually are. I go to the " jewelry seminars" on board and try to keep a straight face. They are loaded with misinformation. Find a local jeweler you can trust.

This is excellent information. My wife will by a trinket or two on board but never anything more than a few hundred dollars or so. Buying stones in the Caribbean is a recipe for diaster unless you're extremely lucky or knowledgeable. OTH she has picked up some gold jewelry at reasonable prices in Istanbul after some extremely hard bargaining at which she both enjoys and excels. In a fine jewelry shop in Mykonos she found a beautiful gold bracelet which really looks like liquid gold, again after hard bargaining and still paying a hefty price. Fact is, the best deal she could find on a diamond solitaire was right here in Naples, Florida