How to Kill a Roll Call

Orator

...However, except for 3 people who pretty much are the most frequent posters, others seem to be inhibited by those 3 that have cruised together before.....while others just sit in the wings and probably feel intimidated and don't post more than a few times or only once. I don't necessarily have that inhibition problem but find that the constant conversation among so few people becomes quickly boring and I seldom visit the roll call where so little is happening or discussed except for the activities cited above...

Some people do contribute to roll calls more than others. That is why they are the frequent posters. If those who posted less often, posted more often, then there wouldn't be just three people "dominating" the roll calls. While no one has to contribute more than their original post, why blame those who do choose to post and then accuse them of dominating the roll call?

I do agree, however, that some of the conversation among friends could take place off the roll call unless the discussion is relevant to the cruise.

P.S. I just figured out how to delete the signature for one particular post. Thanks everyone for the advice on how to do that.

Edited by emileg

We appreciate the efforts many cruisers make to keep us informed on the roll calls.

Reading this thread is much like scrolling through a roll call.

The examples re the topic are missing the big photos. Hey, why not give us some photos from your collections. Favorite colors, days until the cruise, chats about new shoes are killers.

Here's one I haven't see listed yet. People who respond to a post with no clue as to what they're talking about. You know the ones I'm talking about:

"Agree"

"That's what I thought"

Although some people don't like quotes, sometimes their necessary. If you hate quotes or don't know how to just quote the part that applies, you really need to include more information. For instance, "I agree with person who said . . ."

Too little chat is far worse than too much.

After reading the entire thread, your post comes closest to my opinion on killer behavior.

I quit posting on my last roll call. It was so unfriendly, I wondered if anyone could even see my posts. Direct questions went unanswered, and my answers to other's questions went unacknowledged.

It bordered on bizarre. There was no connection, only people who happened to be sailing on the same cruise.

All that being said, the cruise itself was total bliss.

What really bothers me most is when people join a roll call and are totally ignored. I at least try to say "Welcome" and looking forward to sailing with you. Also, try to ask something that might get them to chat a bit more because I'm honestly interested.

I was away for almost three weeks before an upcoming cruise one time. Two couples joined while I was away. Both were totally ignored by others chatting among themselves. Not good. :o

LuLu

It appears that I'm the one that kills roll calls. I joined the roll call for our next cruise two days ago. Mine was the last post. Crickets is all I hear. I'll see if this works on a couple others.

It is a heavy-holiday week. Lots of people are traveling. The January RC has been very inactive and is about to go to the next page. It isn't you - it's the timing. Then again, if no one posts for another week or two, maybe it is you.:D. (please don't be offended - that was a joke).

Sometimes, it isn't personal, it just feels personal.

Beth

All of the above - some very good answers here.

I also don't like it when someone decides to be keeper of the roll call and details have to be emailed to that person who keeps a spreadsheet with names, activities etc rather than just updating the list on here. I'm sailing on a Celebrity cruise next year and have no idea of who is on the roll call as someone has taken charge this way. I would just prefer it to be open on the board for everyone to see and join in.

Absolutely agree also this habit of moving all sharing of tour info to a Dropbox or Facebook site. The best roll calls are where there is open sharing of port information but limited sharing of personal highs and lows, ills and woes

Edited by uktog

The best roll calls are where there is open sharing of port information but limited sharing of personal highs and lows, ills and woes

Not only poetic but the type of roll call we prefer as well. However there are many who prefer the opposite. Finding the right balance seems to be the characteristic of a successful roll call.

Now I think I see where the OP is coming from. . .

I just checked out a roll call for a cruise I am thinking of booking. The majority of the posts ARE from one poster and appear to be pretty repetitive. It did not appear to be malicious at all, rather an attempt to help fellow cruisers, but it was pretty domineering and left me with a rather negative view of the roll call, and hence, the cruise itself.

I much prefer an active roll call with lots of banter, both sharing info and getting to know fellow cruisers beforehand. There is nothing wrong ((IMO) with chit chat, joking, posting funny relevant cartoons, etc. and it gets my spirits up and makes me excited for the cruise.

I have made some great, I hope lifelong, friendships that started from roll calls in the last few years (you know who you ARE!) so I hope this thread does not suppress the good times!!

Hi Everyone,

As this thread went entirely off-topic, and required several posts to be deleted, it's now closed. Thanks for your understanding and participation.

Edited by Host Andy