How to Kill a Roll Call

Orator

You may enjoy this post. After a while they sort of become second nature. It doesn't take long to figure them once you understand the idea of them. some, like TA, are confusing because you have to use the context. Sometimes it means TransAtlantic and other times Travel Agent. Still not too daunting.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1296357&eng=CCSEM&kw=_cat:cruisecritic.com&gclid=CP-_0vSqtr8CFQcSMwodeysAOQ

Tom

Gripe from a newbie... DH, DW, OP, TA, and many more. It took me a while to understand the codes that are used, it's like a secret society. We are not texting and limited for space. What's wrong with writing "my husband" or "my wife".

Also what does "OP" stand for... Please. 😃

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I'm curious since I've never had this experience. Why do you feel alienated if other people know each other? I've been on roll calls where others have cruised together before, but they've always made me welcome and I never felt like I couldn't just jump in and ask questions or join the conversation. There have been some where people have gotten a little chatty, but I still didn't feel like they minded if I joined in. Of course, I'm sort of an extrovert so I don't feel like I need to be invited to join. I've always considered the spirit of the roll calls just to be to join in the fray so I never felt like I needed an personal invite to respond to anything.

I'm probably one of the people that others say interrupts too much :)

Tom

THUMBS UP - LIKE!

This happen a lot. Those that know each other from past cruises take over the roll call and make everyone else feel alienated, then I lose interest and don't even want to try and befriend anyone.

Tom

Me too - I grew up in a family where if you didn't interrupt, you never got a word in. It has not served me well, so I'm trying to learn not to but at my age (nearing 3 score and ten) I probably won't learn.

Beth

I Personally, I've tried hard to hit a happy medium with my signature - listing only the most recent previous cruise with the booked upcoming ones.

I love the way your boxes line up with two to a line. How did you do that?

A little personal "chit-chat" is not a turn off. Since these are people with whom I will be neighbors with for a week or two, having some personal background can be useful. It can also help me decide whether an excursion being planned may be one in which I may be interested. But I do make a concerted attempt to keep any of my part in these sub-conversations brief and meaningful.

What bothers me is those rollcalls where anyone is left to feel unwelcome. If someone indicates that "he and his partner" are going to be on the cruise and the partner is evidently of the same sex as he is -- I have seen the folks who are normally quick to reply with a "welcome", silenced. Worse I've seen outright hostility - when a rollcall poster asked if any other kids would be on board - the poster received an earful (eyeful?) from one member who made it clear that he did not believe children should be allowed on-board. Those kinds of hostility toward other members can damper a roll call.

Most of the personal chit chat does not bother me, either. In fact, one of my favorite Roll Calls was with a group that had previously traveled together. I enjoyed their banter. If I didn't want to read it, I skipped it. Two of the group also organized the RC with a specialized web page....the most well organized, informative web page. :)

My last cruise's RC also featured an organizer that did a fine job with her webpage. Very helpful! We also enjoyed getting to know her and her family. :D

I have never noticed a shunning of same sex members on RC or on other boards. As a mother to a gay son and his partner, you can imagine that I am sensitive to this type of behavior.;)

Yes, I have also noticed the "no children" threads. :( I myself do not understand why someone would want to take their babies on a cruise (and pay full price), but it is not my business. My husband and I try to avoid cruises that we know might be over-run with children because we are not in the child rearing ages anymore. So, I have been known to ask if children are going to be on a particular cruise or if there is a school holiday. However, we do look forward to the day when we can cruise with our grandchild (when he is old enough) and any future grandchildren.:) At that time, we will take more child friendly cruises.

Great thread..good to see many have the same peeves about the roll calls, and it is not just me.

Add my vote to the "cliques who have cruised together before who take over the roll call with inside jokes and irrelevant chatter" haters.

On one call I am reading (not joining in), one couple is getting married on the trip. They asked for last names and cabin numbers so they could deliver the invites.

The next post said " Oh, just our group".

Huh?

Please, take that stuff to Facebook or Twitter, and leave the Roll Call for the rest of the people who want to discuss the actual upcoming cruise.

I also use the feature to remove posters' long cruise lists (nobody cares, except for you) and dancing signatures.

You may enjoy this post. After a while they sort of become second nature. It doesn't take long to figure them once you understand the idea of them. some, like TA, are confusing because you have to use the context. Sometimes it means TransAtlantic and other times Travel Agent. Still not too daunting.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1296357&eng=CCSEM&kw=_cat:cruisecritic.com&gclid=CP-_0vSqtr8CFQcSMwodeysAOQ

Tom

Thank you.... 😄

Sent from my iPad using Forums

The ones that get me are the HUGE photos that take forever to scroll through, then someone quotes the whole post to say "thank you for the photos'!!!! Ugh.

In cases like that, I wish Cruise Critic had a "LIKE" button.

Actually you can, as I get ready to post this if you go to the line below Submit Reply and uncheck, Show Your Signature, then it won't show on that specific post.

You are absolutely correct, thanks! Guess I had never noticed that little check box before. I'm still thinking that probably the ones with the longest signatures are probably the least likely to use it, and some like to see them anyway - so turning them off globally for your display is the best bet if you don't like them. But thanks for pointing that out! :)

I love the way your boxes line up with two to a line. How did you do that?

Pretty simple - just put the "code" (which is copied from whereever you're getting the boxes) for both right after each other WITHOUT a line return in between. Then a "return" (enter key) and the next two box code sets, etc.

Yes, I have also noticed the "no children" threads. :( I myself do not understand why someone would want to take their babies on a cruise (and pay full price), but it is not my business. My husband and I try to avoid cruises that we know might be over-run with children because we are not in the child rearing ages anymore. So, I have been known to ask if children are going to be on a particular cruise or if there is a school holiday. However, we do look forward to the day when we can cruise with our grandchild (when he is old enough) and any future grandchildren.:) At that time, we will take more child friendly cruises.

We're basically the same as you. We avoid summers, spring break times and holidays, because we know the ship will be quite over-run with the children. We have nothing against children, and are enjoying our first grandchild, but we don't cruise wanting an environment filled with kids.

The ones that get me are the HUGE photos that take forever to scroll through, then someone quotes the whole post to say "thank you for the photos'!!!! Ugh.

Those are the worst for me as well! :eek:

LuLu

Germany beating Brazil in world cup semi final after 30 minutes.. 5-0.

Sorry, I could not resist. ;)

Signature turned off, but neither cruise history nor countdown clocks in my signature.

Thank you for the suggestion on how to line my signatures up. All I have managed to do was mess mine up. Lost one of them and somehow overlapped the other two. :o Looks like I will have to start over...or maybe delete them all together as so many of you do not care for them. :rolleyes:

Personally, I like to see where someone is going next. I just discovered, by seeing a signature on my own Roll Call, that a fellow passenger and I may be on another cruise together, or at least one cruise apart. We will be able to collaborate (by email, of course), in our planning for that cruise. :)

Update: I see my signatures are OK. I guess because I did not hit the "change" button after I messed them up. I'll leave them alone.:D

What really bothers me most is when people join a roll call and are totally ignored. I at least try to say "Welcome" and looking forward to sailing with you. Also, try to ask something that might get them to chat a bit more because I'm honestly interested.

I was away for almost three weeks before an upcoming cruise one time. Two couples joined while I was away. Both were totally ignored by others chatting among themselves. Not good. :o

LuLu

I agree, it has happened to me, this small group is wrapped up in themselves, their lives, their current trips etc. I stay off that one now. Cant be bothered.

Tom

I use OP as other poster as well as original poster. I wonder if I confuse people with that?

Germany beating Brazil in world cup semi final after 30 minutes.. 5-0.

Sorry, I could not resist. ;)

Signature turned off, but neither cruise history nor countdown clocks in my signature.

haha…..

I'm curious since I've never had this experience. Why do you feel alienated if other people know each other? I've been on roll calls where others have cruised together before, but they've always made me welcome and I never felt like I couldn't just jump in and ask questions or join the conversation. There have been some where people have gotten a little chatty, but I still didn't feel like they minded if I joined in. Of course, I'm sort of an extrovert so I don't feel like I need to be invited to join. I've always considered the spirit of the roll calls just to be to join in the fray so I never felt like I needed an personal invite to respond to anything.

Tom

I think it really depends on the group of people that know each other.

I was on a roll call last year which consisted of a large group of people who cruised together several times. The inside jokes, constant updates on people who were on last years cruise but not going this year and the reminiscing about their previous cruises together made it very difficult for the "outsiders" to interact. There was more chit chat about their personal lives then about the cruise.

They had tours organized that were clearly only meant for their group and they would often discuss and plan their 2014 cruise on the 2013 roll call. Very frustrating for those of us who were not part of this group.

Wow...I can't believe some think this thread is about "bullying" other CC members......I've found it helpful and interesting and the OP has made many valid points, as have others about how things can get out of hand on a roll call thread...the roll calls should involve as many as possible, or as many as want to participate and should not alienate or ignore people who aren't part of an established group already.....or be dominated by one or two persons wishes....

Thanks Orator for a great thread!!!:)

...Personally I thank heaven for those brave and giving enough to volunteer to coordinate names, activities, etc. for those who choose to participate. As long as this is an optional effort, and no pressure is applied to those who do not participate, it can be very valuable. I think that applies to room number. If you are not comfortable giving yours, then don't. If others want to, it doesn't hurt you in any way unless you are being pressured...

Guess we see things differently. I organized a M&G - nothing fancy - just made sure the first timers knew the traditional time and place for our ship. Two weeks before sailing a late booker announced that she was on the phone with the cruise line "about other things" and asked them about arranging for the captain to stop by. This got the gathering moved to a different time to accommodate his schedule. So what she did was hijack the M&G.

Now maybe you're somebody who would be grateful she made the extra effort to arrange this. Or maybe I'm just too sensitive and sulking that another did a better job. But the new time overlapped a really fine lecture and forced everyone to choose one or the other.

Edited by BlueRiband

Interesting discussion. Orator definitely stirred the pot and hit some pain points. My thoughts are the same as MaxSales and Tserface, though. I just scroll through the posts that aren't of interest to me and I only check back from time-to-time to catch up. Cruising is such a positive experience and I love to reading the excitement and good energy/feelings coming from others as they chat about life and the upcoming cruise. Anticipation and Excitement! Finding the negatives in life is easy, anyone can do it, but there is far more beauty in finding the 'happy'. I have enjoyed meeting new people and reconnecting with other cruisers and making new friends in Atlanta as well as all over the US.

IMO - Ms. Cory from Atlanta

BTW: Here is a fabulous ROLL CALL that was on my last TA on the Connie. What a super group and we did things in big groups and smaller groups. I even taught a progressive 4-day jewelry making class and it was a blast!!

https://constellationtransatlantic.shutterfly.com

I guess I am blessed. I have enjoyed all the roll calls I have participated in. Of course, they might not have enjoyed me participating. :D

Yeah, I forgot... Don't you hate it when people talk about waffles all the time! :)

I agree that when one asks questions and gets answers, a thank you is in order. At least one thank you after a reasonable amount of time is called for.

Should this not be true not just on roll calls but right here too? I'm shocked at how many times I or others answer a question and a thank you is not provided - even by posters who been around long enough to know better.