New to HAL

qsuzi

Anyone know when the 2016 USA departure port itineraries will be added to the website? We just booked our first HAL cruise for March 2015 and are eager to see what is available in early 2016. Thank you. Also is the dress code similar to Royal Caribbean or more formal overall?

Some 2016 are available now. We started looking at one yesterday for Spring 2016.

Sorry I'm not familiar with RCI's dress code, but what HAL has on their website for dress code is what we've found on the ships.

Welcome to HAL.

Just spoke with HAL who said the 7 day voyages for 2016 should be available for booking in early 2015. Website says relaxed and casual for daytime and Smart Casual or on Formal nights, Formal. Sounds like comparable to RCL to me but pix I've seen lead me to believe HAL cruisers generally dress a little more upscale.

We cruised on RCI with family a few years ago. If you look at the "dressier" people on Royal, that will map pretty well to what you will find on Holland America. I realize that's kind of subjective, but it's a little hard to pin down.

Hope you enjoy your first HAL cruise!

From the HAL site about dress code:

Evening dress falls into two distinct categories: Formal or Smart Casual. Smart Casual can be defined as slacks and collared shirts for men and casual dresses, slacks and informal evening wear for women. T-shirts, swimsuits, tank tops and shorts are not allowed in the restaurants or public areas during the evening hours. On festive Formal evenings, ladies may wear a suit, cocktail dress, gown or fancy blouse/top with slacks and gentlemen wear a jacket and tie, dark suit or tuxedo. There are approximately two formal nights per week.

In order to complement your fellow guests, Holland America Line asks that you observe the suggested dress code throughout the entire evening

We cruised on RCI with family a few years ago. If you look at the "dressier" people on Royal, that will map pretty well to what you will find on Holland America. I realize that's kind of subjective, but it's a little hard to pin down.

Hope you enjoy your first HAL cruise!

That agrees with what we have found also. On Mexico cruises people tend to dress more to the casual side but still for the most part stay within the dress code. You will find few, if any tux. or long formal gowns. On formal night most men will be in dark suits and most women will have sparkly blouses with either skirts or slacks.

Just spoke with HAL who said the 7 day voyages for 2016 should be available for booking in early 2015. Website says relaxed and casual for daytime and Smart Casual or on Formal nights, Formal. Sounds like comparable to RCL to me but pix I've seen lead me to believe HAL cruisers generally dress a little more upscale.

They are very similar but I think HAL will have more people actually formal on formal nights.

We've sailed both numerous times.

More coats and ties on HAL for formal night. Women are a little more dressy.

Daytime dress is about the same for both lines.

We always do fixed late seating in the main dining room ... On HAL ships the presentation of dinner (other MDR meals as well) itself feels more "special" than on RCCL. I must say that the dining room staff on each line have been equally good.

We prefer HAL when it comes to dining.

Thanks so much for the information. Does HAL do |self assist| debarkation? Gosh I just love flowers in the stateroom. :)

We've found Holland America's disembarkation to be pretty darn efficient. You can do walk off, but if you have big bags, I would not.

Just remember: Make sure you put some identifying decoration or straps or something on your suitcases. Looking for an unmarked black suitcase in a season of black unmarked suitcases is not fun. ;)

Anyone know when the 2016 USA departure port itineraries will be added to the website? We just booked our first HAL cruise for March 2015 and are eager to see what is available in early 2016. Thank you. Also is the dress code similar to Royal Caribbean or more formal overall?

Many of us are still waiting for the Caribbean and Panama Canal cruises for the fall of 2015 to come out.

Usually the cruises I mentioned are out way earlier than this.

What cabin category will you be in when you are on the Veendam?

Not all categories have fresh flowers.

Well the flowers answers burst my bubble. :D We are in a VISTA SUITES VERANDAH Cabin Category (BB). Will it have flowers?