English friendly Rome restaurants

baba136

Hello! We (4 of us) will be in Rome September 6-8, 2014 (after cruising for 10 days). I am presently attempting to find good Italian restaurants who will not cheat us on the bill and are friendly towards Americans. My wife and I have been to Rome twice before and feel as though they just want our money and want us out the door. Since this trip will be with my Mother-in-Law and her friend I am trying to make it a special experience for them. Can anyone suggest a Rome restaurant where they had a great experience as a tourist? Thanks in advance!

Good heavens, you seem to be starting out with a pretty negative view. Where have you eaten before and what makes you feel they just want your money and want you out the door? I've eaten many, many meals at Rome (often as a woman traveling alone) and can't think of any place where I felt that way.

There are cultural differences between wait service in Europe vs the US; I hope you are aware of -- waiters in most restaurants (at least in those not geared to luring in tourists) tend to be polite but more formal; not overly friendly like they can sometimes be in the US. Also, it is generally up to you to signal them that you want something. They consider it rude to push service on you or to give you the bill until you are ready for it.

Agree with cruisemom. You will know you are in a tourist restaurant when the waiter comes to ask you: "is everything alright?" It is considered impolite for the waiter to interrupt your conversation or eating with silly questions. The restaurant takes pride in its food and service. They know that if something is not right the customer will complain. They will also refill your glass without telling you: "I am going to refill your glass", etc, etc.

I agree with the last 2 posters. I have no idea where you have eaten in Rome,but all the meals there,even in some touisty area's I have never flet what you have.In Italy is is a "job" for most wait staff not some they do as a fill-in job and they take the job seriously. I can tell you that there are some nice restos up the side street by the Pantheon not aound it as well as over by P. Navona.Read the menu's and if you like what you see give it chance. If you want to have a nice luncheon then try the rooftop at the The Forum Hotel..it is pricey,but not as much as dinner would be,but quite formal and the food is goodDon't get me wrong..dinner is great too..I am sure some will post some of their fav places to eat,and a positve attitude will help.Really.I hope you have a nice trip(dining) this time around no matter where you go.

We really like Navonna Notte close to piazza navona. Prices were very good, the menu posted in English and the staff very friendly. Very crowded always but well worth the wait. You will be seated elbow to elbow but your neighbor could be from a new friend from anywhere in the world, including Rome,as the locals also like this place. Have been to Rome several times and this is the place we always return to.

I don't think you will have any problems with English in Rome restaurants. In some of the formal restaurants they'll push aperitifs, anti-pasti, etc. These items aren't on the menu and you don't know what they will charge- so buyer beware.

In Europe they charge almost as much for a bottle of water, as a bottle of wine. Bread is not free. It might be 10 Euros for the basket. You will pay a lot for meals in Rome but it's typical of tourist areas. Seek out places where the locals eat.

For lunch, we really like Enoteca Corsi near the Pantheon. It's a family restaurant and the three adult daughters are the waitresses, very charming and they all speak great English. Small menu, changes daily, homemade desserts--we went two days in a row and they treated us like family on the second visit!!

When I read the OP my reaction is that the Ugly American is alive and well. Based on more then 45 years of international travel we can offer some words of wisdom. When you go to any foreign country, do not expect the people in that country to act or talk like Americans. Each country (and even regions of countries) have their own mores, idiosyncrasies, language variations, etc. For example, if you sit in a cafe in Rome, in most cases you own that seat. Under normal circumstances nobody will bring you a check until you ask. DW and I once sat at a favorite cafe in the Piazza Navona for about 5 hours (people watching) with no problems. Many Americans would think its bad service because they ignore you and do not bring you a check, but that is just the way it is in Italy. If you want something you need to signal or ask a waiter. In Italy it would be considered rude to brink you a check before you ask.

As to cheating on bills, we have not seen any more of this in Italy then we do in the USA. Sure, they might add a "Coperta" or cover charge or even have a specific charge for bread. Some Italian restaurants will even add an "entertainment" fee (we know of one place in Venice that has been doing this for years). But this is just how they do things, and these extra charges must be shown on the menu (usually in very fine print on the bottom or last page). For the OP I will add one more comment. Imagine an Italian in New York City, for the first time, and they buy lunch at a good restaurant. When the check comes the restaurant has added 8.5% Sales Tax, another local tax, 18% Service Charge, etc. The $50 tab (which is what the items on the menu add up to) is now nearly $70! Now this poor Italian guy thinks he has been totally ripped off because they added all this stuff. After all, in Italy they never add a sales tax and any service charge is normally included in the price of the item.

One more thing about Italy (and France). I go into a "bar", stand at the counter, get a cup of coffee (espresso) and perhaps it costs me 2 Euros. Some other guy comes into that same bar, sits down at a table, orders the same coffee, and his tab is 5 Euros! Has he been ripped off? Nope. They have 2 sets of prices, for those that stand at the bar and those that sit at a table.

Hank

Edited by Hlitner

There is such a difference between tourists which the OP seems to be and a traveller which I consider myself to be.

When I travel I have absolutely no desire to go to a restaurant with an English menu. While I do not,speak other languages i learn a bit of the language before info to every country like the basics, I can not have a conversation but it has been my experience that if you give it an effort most people will give that effort back.

There is such a difference between tourists which the OP seems to be and a traveller which I consider myself to be.

When I travel I have absolutely no desire to go to a restaurant with an English menu. While I do not,speak other languages i learn a bit of the language before info to every country like the basics, I can not have a conversation but it has been my experience that if you give it an effort most people will give that effort back.

Our rule is never to go into restaurants that have photos of the food or that post their menus in English and (God forbid) 5 other languages in front. If they give us an English menu (in Italy or France) we ask for a regular one, because we feel like we will have a better idea of what we are getting.

I am in hog heaven when I look around and we are the only English-speaking people in the restaurant!

Especially in Italy one would think -- given the many Italian restaurants located in nearly every country and the popularity of Italian food -- that one could make sense of an Italian menu and recognize at least a few essentials!

My "restaurant Italian" was pretty good long before my regular Italian was worth much. It's pretty easy to figure out that Insalata = salad, Zuppa = soup, and of course "pasta" needs no translation.

In addition, a lot of Italian preparations are pretty common, at least in the US: Spaghetti carbonara, Fettucine alfredo, Penne arrabiate, Chicken (pollo) cacciatore, Veal (vitello) saltimbocca, etc.

Edited by cruisemom42

I totally agree with my "virtual sister" Crusemom42 and Hlitner. As a woman who travels solo, I've never felt ripped off or taken advantage of in any restaurant I've visited in Italy (or anywhere else, for that matter). I've learned to just go with the flow and enjoy. I've been in a few restaurants where I've observed some of those "ugly 'mericans" and I was embarrassed to be a countrywoman.

Anyway, one of my favorite places to eat in Rome is Armando al Pantheon. It's a very small trattoria, known for it's Roman cuisine. It is located less than a block from the Pantheon. I've always been welcomed there warmly and treated well. I've always found a mix of locals and visitors there. They do have a website (just do a search for the name of the restaurant). It has a nice site with their different menus online (with english translation), so you can get a little Italian lesson with learning about your future meal ;) You MUST make dinner reservations well in advance - you can do it online. If you go there, be sure to save room for the traditional roman torts that the daughter makes for dessert!!!!

OK - I'll stick my head above the parapet and say I think some of you are being unfair to the OP. I have encountered the 'Ugly American' and the 'Uncouth Brit' many times abroad and wanted to curl up in shame but I think those of you who have travelled widely in Italian cities - as I have - and have never been ripped off or encountered disinterested service are lucky or extremely well-informed. I have visited Rome many times - most recently in March this year with my son who lives in Italy and speaks pretty good Italian. We still had indifferent service and a feeling of being ripped off at a couple of places. Having said that Rome doesn't even compare to Venice where they say there is one price for tourists, one for Italian speakers and one for Venetians ;)

I would usually recommend Trip Advisor as a reasonable guide but, frustratingly, many of the top recommendations are for gelato places - hardly restaurants....

Here are a couple of recommendations for the OP - if they ever dare to revisit this thread :rolleyes:

http://www.enosteria.it/

http://www.ristorantelascala.it/

Edited by Bobal

We actually do our best in Rome to avoid restaurants in the main tourist areas and those that have menus in five languages. We much prefer a small, family run place. Even though they may no speak English,,,it always works out in the end. We just go off the main drag for a few blocks and look for something local.

Never been 'cheated' as such but you do have to understand the pricing and not be afraid to ask. We always order the house wine. Some places may show you a bottle of something else. If you say yes without asking the price then you may find yourself with an expensive bottle of wine. We often split dishes to that we get to try more things.

It is a bad attitude to start out thinking that you will be cheated unless someone recommends an 'honest' restaurant. Why bother going in the first place?

OK - I'll stick my head above the parapet and say I think some of you are being unfair to the OP. I have encountered the 'Ugly American' and the 'Uncouth Brit' many times abroad and wanted to curl up in shame but I think those of you who have travelled widely in Italian cities - as I have - and have never been ripped off or encountered disinterested service are lucky or extremely well-informed. I have visited Rome many times - most recently in March this year with my son who lives in Italy and speaks pretty good Italian. We still had indifferent service and a feeling of being ripped off at a couple of places. Having said that Rome doesn't even compare to Venice where they say there is one price for tourists, one for Italian speakers and one for Venetians ;)

I would usually recommend Trip Advisor as a reasonable guide but, frustratingly, many of the top recommendations are for gelato places - hardly restaurants....

Here are a couple of recommendations for the OP - if they ever dare to revisit this thread :rolleyes:

http://www.enosteria.it/

http://www.ristorantelascala.it/

If only there were a "like" button on the Cruise Critic Forums!

The OP asked a question. No need to mock them. I'm American and don't speak Spanish, Italian, Polish, German, Greek, Farsi, etc. Not many people can learn enough Italian to speak more than a word or two. Say "Bona Sera" or "Bona Notte" and "Ciao" or "Multo Bene" etc. This isn't going to get you too far. I'm in Montreal and I say "Bon Jour" then they speak to me in French and I pretend to understand. May as well just say "Hello" to tip them off that I'm American.