No kettle?

nb125

Will someone please tell me where it states on the HAL WEB site or the "Know before you go booklet" that a tea Kettle is banned! the only place I've seen is as banned is on Cruise Critic, because some one thinks they should be banned..

I don't take a tea Kettle, but would certainly not tell someone they are banned unless I had it in writing to back me up..

If the tea kettle had an auto shut off, I think they would be just as safe as my Curling iron is, with it's auto-shut off.. IMO smoking on a balcony is more dangerous that a tea kettle with an auto shut off..

All the electric tea kettles I've researched on HSN have an auto. shut off!

Several years ago I went through the same discussion on this board about my electric curling iron with it's auto-shut off & according to HAL they have not been banned either..

It's in the "General Information" document.

"For safety reasons, travel irons, steamers, and electric water heaters/kettles may not be used in your stateroom."

Will someone please tell me where it states on the HAL WEB site or the "Know before you go booklet" that a tea Kettle is banned! the only place I've seen is as banned is on Cruise Critic, because some one thinks they should be banned..

I don't take a tea Kettle, but would certainly not tell someone they are banned unless I had it in writing to back me up..

If the tea kettle had an auto shut off, I think they would be just as safe as my Curling iron is, with it's auto-shut off.. IMO smoking on a balcony is more dangerous that a tea kettle with an auto shut off..

All the electric tea kettles I've researched on HSN have an auto. shut off!

Several years ago I went through the same discussion on this board about my electric curling iron with it's auto-shut off & according to HAL they have not been banned either..

Page 8,left hand column.

For safety reasons, travel irons, steamers, and electric water heaters/kettles may not be used in your stateroom. You may order hot water from our complimentary In-Room Dining service 24 hours a day.

It's in the "General Information" document.

"For safety reasons, travel irons, steamers, and electric water heaters/kettles may not be used in your stateroom."

Steve, I have the "Know before you go booklet" for Grande Voyages from 2013 in my hands, which we got last year for our 68 day Prinsendam cruise:

In the Gen. Info section on Page 13 under electrical appliances it states Quote: For safety reasons we respectfully request that you do not iron clothing in your stateroom" . etc etc. That section is all about ironing & laundry facilities..It also states HAL will provide you with a powers strip..Nothing in that section of my book refers to any other appliances including kettles..

However if you are quoting another page on the HAL WEB site or a newer "Know before you go " booklet please give me the URL as there is nothing about kettles in this one! What other HAL document are you quoting from please..

Someone else may have the newer 2014 Grand Voyage booklet, & could check that one too.. Wouldn't it be nice if all the periodicals read the same, but that would be asking too much I guess..

thanks..Betty

(/SIZE]

Edited by serendipity1499

Page 8,left hand column.

For safety reasons, travel irons, steamers, and electric water heaters/kettles may not be used in your stateroom. You may order hot water from our complimentary In-Room Dining service 24 hours a day.

Page 8 Left hand column of what document? HAL also sent us our tickets in a beautiful blue folder..What are you looking at? I would like to pull it up & keep it in my file too please..

The only document I received was the "Know before you go booklet" for the Prinsendam 2013 cruise.. I did not save our tickets..I understand the reason for it, but don't quite understand why I can take my curling iron which to me is far more dangerous that an auto shut off water kettle.. BTW my curling iron also has an auto shut off..

Page 8 Left hand column of what document? HAL also sent us our tickets in a beautiful blue folder..What are you looking at? I would like to pull it up & keep it in my file too please..

Sorry about that! I was on my phone and was unable to attach the PDF of the Know Before You Go. Kinda makes my post pointless without it... So, I ran over to my computer and posted the attachment. Scroll to page 8 of the PDF and you'll see the language on kettles in the first column.

You'll note that it doesn't mention microwaves or lasers. (Do not bring a microwave or laser.)

KBYG.pdf

Edited by POA1

Does anyone else think that this is getting to be an inane argument / discussion as several people have cited references to warnings about not using electrical devices, the web address was included to explain and have proof of the rule published by HAL, reasons have been listed and cited for not bringing these devices and still people insist in 'having it their way' and breaking the rules "it was not confiscated". Do you realize that your cabin steward would have to call security as they are not allowed to remove anything from a cabin without authority. Several people have made suggestions about alternatives for the must have hot water / coffee people - so let it go and follow the rules! Too often the many must adapt their behavior/pay the price because of the rule breaking of a few.

Edited by take us away

Thaks Steve, POA, & sue & Thanks everyone else too! I found it & downloaded all 30 something pages into my PC.

Wonder why my Know before you go booklet which we received last year doesn't have half of the info in it that the HAL WEB site has..

Wouldn't you think it should?

Does anyone else think that this is getting to be an inane argument / discussion as several people have cited references to warnings about not using electrical devices, the web address was included to explain and have proof of the rule published by HAL, reasons have been listed and cited for not bringing these devices and still people insist in 'having it their way' and breaking the rules "it was not confiscated". Do you realize that your cabin steward would have to call security as they are not allowed to remove anything from a cabin without authority. Several people have made suggestions about alternatives for the must have hot water / coffee people - so let it go and follow the rules! Too often the many must adapt their behavior/pay the price because of the rule breaking of a few.

BTW if you are referring to me, I'm not insisting on anything.. I don't ever bring a kettle on board & would not want one either.. Suggest you chill out!

And I'm not arguing.. All I want to know where it was printed only because the Know Before You go Booklet I received last year doesn't have half of what the on-line booklet has & it does NOT refer to any appliances except irons & power strips for use on board..

If I'm quoting something I want to be accurate, that's the only reason I'm questioning this..

And the OP is wondering why she can't bring a kettle on board, when other cruise companies allow them, but she has never insisted either....IMO the OP is willing to follow the rules..

Your accusations to me & the OP are not fair..]

Thaks Steve POA & Thanks everyone! I found it & downloaded all 30 something pages into my PC.

Wonder why my Know before you go booklet which we received last year doesn't have half of the info in it that the HAL WEB site has..

Wouldn't you think it should?

It might be formatted differently. Other than the beverage policy, it's very similar to last year's version. I used the document compare function in the full version of Acrobat.

It may help a bit if you understand how ships electrical systems work.

Nearly all cruise ships are built in Europe, where the standard voltage is 220v.

Nearly all the tools used by the construction workers who build the ships are 220v.

Nearly all the electrical machines installed onboard are purchased in Europe, so they are 220v.

Cruise Lines know that around 50% or more of their passengers are from North America, where the standard voltage is 110v. They also know that many North Americans are electrically challenged and often have machines and toys that are 110v ONLY. So the cruise lines install step down transformers in accommodations areas, reducing the 220 volt power to 110 volts. That allows them to install a LIMITED number of 110 volt receptacles in passenger cabins. That word LIMITED is very important.

Step down transformers for ships are very large, very expensive, and they create quite a bit of heat. The more power they handle, the hotter they get - and the more noise they make.

They are usually installed in the void spaces between passenger cabins - not far from the pillow you sleep on at night.

Passenger cabins are pre-fabricated on land, and then slid aboard on tracks after the ship is built. Wiring and plumbing are already installed in the cabins before they arrive at the ship. Once the cabins are placed, the wiring and plumbing are connected to the ship's systems.

The cabins are grouped electrically into 3's and 4's to allow them to share the step down generators.

Each group of 3 or 4 cabins shares the same electrical circuits. This is a very important concept to understand.

Under most conditions, this sharing of the electrical system is not a problem. But occasionally the occupants of all 3 or 4 cabins decide to use their own high wattage electric hair dryers at the same time. If the hair dryers happen to be 220v machines, the system is overloaded and (hopefully) the breaker switch trips to cut the power and avoid a fire. When this breaker switch is tripped, all power to all 3 or 4 cabins goes off. An electrician must be called to re-set the breakers.

But sometimes those passengers have high wattage 110 volt machines in use at the same time. This not only overloads the wiring, but it also overloads the step down generator supplying the power. If the breaker switches do not cut the power before the generator overheats, there could be a fire starting in the space between your cabins.

So we have several challenges happening here.

1. Passengers who bring high wattage equipment onboard and potentially start fires in the cabin when they forget to turn them off.

2. Passengers who bring high wattage equipment onboard and black out their cabin - and their neighbors' cabins - when the electrical system is overloaded.

3. Passengers who bring high wattage electrical equipment onboard and inadvertently start fires by overloading the step down generators for their cabins.

Bearing in mind that many passengers leave their brains at home when they take a cruise. Nearly every passenger who has started a fire in his/her cabin by doing something stupid has said to me, <Gosh I have never done anything like that before>. And that is why the cruise lines do not want you bringing high wattage heat producing machines onboard our ships.

It might be formatted differently. Other than the beverage policy, it's very similar to last year's version. I used the document compare function in the full version of Acrobat.

Yes, I just downloaded it into my PC...First I did a copy & paste, but that came to almost 45 pages of just one column..

Then I deleted that & did a "Save as" & the format downloaded as it is on the site.. Wish I could print it up, but It's a waste of ink..

What I don't understand is why such a difference in the printed version I have which is called "2013 Grand Voyages-Grand South America & Antarctica voyage" from just last year.. Maybe they think that all the people who take the longer cruises, know the rules instinctively..(sp?) (Wish I could figure out how to get my spell check back on this site) When I got my new PC I lost a lot..

The downloaded version has much more info in it than this printed version.. What happens to cruisers who don't know how to get on the internet & read those WEB pages? So many of my Friends don't seem to use the internet like I do to investigate policy's such as this..

Again, some cruise lines allow or provide kettles (aka jugs) for heating water, and 110v and 220v outlets. HAL does not. So if this is a requirement for a happy cruise experience, maybe HAL is not the line for everyone.

I know that I can't live on a ship like I live at home; that's the charm in most aspects, though maybe not all. m--

Yes, I just downloaded it into my PC...First I did a copy & paste, but that came to almost 45 pages of just one column..

Then I deleted that & did a "Save as" & the format downloaded as it is on the site.. Wish I could print it up, but It's a waste of ink..

What I don't understand is why such a difference in the printed version I have which is called "2013 Grand Voyages-Grand South America & Antarctica voyage" from just last year.. Maybe they think that all the people who take the longer cruises, know the rules instinctively..(sp?) (Wish I could figure out how to get my spell check back on this site) When I got my new PC I lost a lot..

The downloaded version has much more info in it than this printed version.. What happens to cruisers who don't know how to get on the internet & read those WEB pages? So many of my Friends don't seem to use the internet like I do to investigate policy's such as this..

I was comparing the two downloadable versions. Perhaps the print version is different? Either that or there is a different set knowing & going for Grand Voyages.

We enjoyed our travels in Australia and New Zealand where every land room came with a "jug" but ships not so much. The Australians going to New Zealand with us were not too happy either. m--

In New Zealand every Hotel room and Motel will have an electric kettle, with tea, coffee, sugar, milk, and some times a cookie:D

In New Zealand every Hotel room and Motel will have an electric kettle, with tea, coffee, sugar, milk, and some times a cookie:D

Small coffee makers are fairly standard in the USA. Kettles are rare.

It may help a bit if you understand how ships electrical systems work.

Nearly all cruise ships are built in Europe, where the standard voltage is 220v.

Nearly all the tools used by the construction workers who build the ships are 220v.

Nearly all the electrical machines installed onboard are purchased in Europe, so they are 220v.

Cruise Lines know that around 50% or more of their passengers are from North America, where the standard voltage is 110v. They also know that many North Americans are electrically challenged and often have machines and toys that are 110v ONLY. So the cruise lines install step down transformers in accommodations areas, reducing the 220 volt power to 110 volts. That allows them to install a LIMITED number of 110 volt receptacles in passenger cabins. That word LIMITED is very important.

Step down transformers for ships are very large, very expensive, and they create quite a bit of heat. The more power they handle, the hotter they get - and the more noise they make.

They are usually installed in the void spaces between passenger cabins - not far from the pillow you sleep on at night.

Passenger cabins are pre-fabricated on land, and then slid aboard on tracks after the ship is built. Wiring and plumbing are already installed in the cabins before they arrive at the ship. Once the cabins are placed, the wiring and plumbing are connected to the ship's systems.

The cabins are grouped electrically into 3's and 4's to allow them to share the step down generators.

Each group of 3 or 4 cabins shares the same electrical circuits. This is a very important concept to understand.

Under most conditions, this sharing of the electrical system is not a problem. But occasionally the occupants of all 3 or 4 cabins decide to use their own high wattage electric hair dryers at the same time. If the hair dryers happen to be 220v machines, the system is overloaded and (hopefully) the breaker switch trips to cut the power and avoid a fire. When this breaker switch is tripped, all power to all 3 or 4 cabins goes off. An electrician must be called to re-set the breakers.

But sometimes those passengers have high wattage 110 volt machines in use at the same time. This not only overloads the wiring, but it also overloads the step down generator supplying the power. If the breaker switches do not cut the power before the generator overheats, there could be a fire starting in the space between your cabins.

So we have several challenges happening here.

1. Passengers who bring high wattage equipment onboard and potentially start fires in the cabin when they forget to turn them off.

2. Passengers who bring high wattage equipment onboard and black out their cabin - and their neighbors' cabins - when the electrical system is overloaded.

3. Passengers who bring high wattage electrical equipment onboard and inadvertently start fires by overloading the step down generators for their cabins.

Bearing in mind that many passengers leave their brains at home when they take a cruise. Nearly every passenger who has started a fire in his/her cabin by doing something stupid has said to me, <Gosh I have never done anything like that before>. And that is why the cruise lines do not want you bringing high wattage heat producing machines onboard our ships.

Thank you for a very interesting and informative post

It amazes me how quickly some people jump to conclusions to judge others.

I asked if kettles are allowed, I have been told they are not and have seen this in black and white (thank you). This is good enough for me and I have never had any intention of breaking the rules.

It amazes me how quickly some people jump to conclusions to judge others.

I asked if kettles are allowed, I have been told they are not and have seen this in black and white (thank you). This is good enough for me and I have never had any intention of breaking the rules.

I will admit to judging others who say they are better than or exempt from the rules.

I also admit to judging people who are so set in their ways that they can't vacation without bringing their entire house with them. Why are they even going on vacation if they can't survive 7-14 days without their preferred coffee/tea/hot sauce/laundry detergent/news reader/etc.?

Maybe it's because I moved around the world and had to figure out how to live without my favorite things that I have no patience with people who are so self-centered that they have to have everything their way. Travel should expand your horizons, and sometimes that expansion occurs when you wake up and have to figure out how to get tea without a kettle! I will go out on a limb here and promise people will live without tea, even if they claim to be "not human" before they get cup. If I am proven wrong, I hereby allow the victim's survivors to have my share of the proceeds of the movie-of-the-week rights. :D:D:D

I will admit to judging others who say they are better than or exempt from the rules.

I also admit to judging people who are so set in their ways that they can't vacation without bringing their entire house with them. Why are they even going on vacation if they can't survive 7-14 days without their preferred coffee/tea/hot sauce/laundry detergent/news reader/etc.?

Maybe it's because I moved around the world and had to figure out how to live without my favorite things that I have no patience with people who are so self-centered that they have to have everything their way. Travel should expand your horizons, and sometimes that expansion occurs when you wake up and have to figure out how to get tea without a kettle! I will go out on a limb here and promise people will live without tea, even if they claim to be "not human" before they get cup. If I am proven wrong, I hereby allow the victim's survivors to have my share of the proceeds of the movie-of-the-week rights. :D:D:D

How wonderful for you to be so satisfied with your own perfection.

For the record I did not say I needed a cup of tea just that I like one. I simply asked the question as to how to achieve this. I mistakenly thought that this forum is for people to help and share their experiences with each other.

I was disappointed to learn that kettles are not provided in cabins. Does that mean I would not be allowed a travel kettle. I like to have a cup of tea when I wake up ....

nb, have you considered using a | Travel Immersion Water Heater

41qslNPREXL._SL190_CR0,0,190,246_.jpg

^ This Brand is for example purposes only.

View full details

http://www.amazon.com/Travel-Immersion-Water-Heater-Voltage/dp/B000AXS0UE

Edited to add *link* to reviews on like devices. :)

http://www.crazyguyonabike.com/doc/page/?page_id=364124

Edited by Fontana

nb, have you considered using a | Travel Immersion Water Heater

View full details

http://www.amazon.com/Travel-Immersion-Water-Heater-Voltage/dp/B000AXS0UE

Edited to add *link* to reviews on like devices. :)

http://www.crazyguyonabike.com/doc/page/?page_id=364124

I think these heating coils are also on the banned list, but thanks for the suggestion.