Look! What was in Our Local Paper Today...

FRMPEI

I have to disagree with "sister first cruise". Just because the charter flight was done by celebrity they will not hold the ship if there is a delay. We have experienced that first hand. We were delayed and one we got into Fort Lauderdale we had 30 minutes to make the ship. Celebrity got us to the ship with 5 minutes to spare and no luggage. Luggage arrived 2 days later. They have to think of the other passengers on board. A Celebrity spokesperson gave a sales pitch here in London. He said every effort would be made to get you to the ship but depending on the weather could not totally guarantee getting to the ship on time.

Having said all of this, I do think it is a convenient package and priced fairly. But I will continue to fly the day before rather then risk missing the ship.

This seems more likely. I think, though, that it's not for the other passengers but the possibility of having to vacate the pier by a certain time....or pay more...just my thoughts.

Four of us are already booked on the Celebrity Reflection, flying out of Hamilton. Before booking, I did the comparisons for the same cruise/same cabin flying out of Toronto and Buffalo. I also checked three other major cruise lines and several airlines to see if I could put together a similar package. There is no comparison. We are saving time and money with time and convenience being the most important factors. We live 10 minutes from the Hamilton airport. Our travel agent's family did the same package last year and loved it. As Canadians, we are limited as to departure cities for flights south. Adding 2 to 3 hours of extra travel time to get to a major airport in Toronto or Buffalo or paying for extra hotel stays is not my idea of a great start to a holiday. I am thrilled that we have this opportunity and cannot wait for February to begin my 15th cruise with this being my first on Celebrity. Celebrity has taken the lead in this marketing venture. Too bad other cruise lines don't follow suit.

This seems more likely. I think, though, that it's not for the other passengers but the possibility of having to vacate the pier by a certain time....or pay more...just my thoughts.

We were on a cruise once out of Fort Lauderdale and the ship was 2 hours leaving. We were told that there was a chartered flight coming in from LA and they had to wait until they arrived. I really do not know what they would do if we have a major snowstorm and were unable to leave Hamilton. If you book Choice Air like we have done in the past they will get you to the next port of call. I would think that Celebrity would do the same. The last time that we went out of Buffalo we went the night before the flight. True to form they had a major snowstorm that night. We were able to fly out the next morning and spend 2 night in Florida before the cruise. I would love it if Celebrity would include a 2 night stay in Florida pre cruise. I suggested that on our evaluation of the package.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

We were on a cruise once out of Fort Lauderdale and the ship was 2 hours leaving. We were told that there was a chartered flight coming in from LA and they had to wait until they arrived. I really do not know what they would do if we have a major snowstorm and were unable to leave Hamilton. If you book Choice Air like we have done in the past they will get you to the next port of call. I would think that Celebrity would do the same. The last time that we went out of Buffalo we went the night before the flight. True to form they had a major snowstorm that night. We were able to fly out the next morning and spend 2 night in Florida before the cruise. I would love it if Celebrity would include a 2 night stay in Florida pre cruise. I suggested that on our evaluation of the package.

I take it you are talking about an experience outside of these Celebrity Cdn Charters that ran last year and this (subject of this thread)

In that case...

Celebrity does offer both Hotel Packages... Or... Fly & Stay Pkgs *

Info is on their website

* Fly pkgs with Choice Air can be customized... You can fly in & out any day of your choice before or after the cruise (although the common choice / default is the day of the cruise). For more info / make arrangements talk to a Celebrity Phone Rep or your TA

As Cdns who know how unpredictable our weather can be, we do this very cruise... Getting into our E-Port City a day or two before, and usually stay on a day or two after the cruise as well (lol to rest up from the great cruise we just had)

Hope this helps,

Cheers!

Edited by Sloop-JohnB

Do you know anyone that took them up on the offer last year? Would love to hear others first hand experiences/thoughts on this.

They have it on the Celebrity site now.

http://www.celebritycruises.com/htmlpage/canada-vacation-package?icid=hp_cr1_bkndg_1401_topg_lk_935896

On here in the fine print appears it's US$ so be interesting to see the final tally CAD$ when all said and done. Still considering this package for end of March but will at least wait until I've sailed first time with them in November. Soooo enticing!

My Suggestion is do not wait much longer because you may find they are sold out on this special deal for the Maritimes. We paid a little over $2300 CDN for March 1 Silhouette out of Moncton (Concierge Class C2). I feel this is a very good price considering it includes not only your classic drink package but also prepaid grat's. Plus you will not have to pay Air Canada $25 per bag plus $25 to reserve seat each way.

Great deal for us Canadians in the Maritimes we do not have the same flight choices as our fellow countrymen in Central Canada.

Here is my take on the Charter Carrier. The charter is with Canadian North who are very use to flying in nasty winter weather in the far Canadian north. So a nasty day in Moncton or Halifax will just an other day to them pilots. Besides Canadian North is a customer of ours but, only for their turboprop planes not their 737's.

THANK YOU CELEBRITY FOR TAKING THIS CHARTER TO THE MARITIMES.

Regards,

Kevin Reid

Kevin did you write a review on one of your Celebrity cruises? I remember someone from the East Coast who had a review last winter on their cruise with a step by step of their journey. I think that his name was Kevin as well. If that was you I just loved it. The pictures of the snowstorm and their cruise. It did make me laugh and I loved all the details. You are right about Celebrity selling out the packages. They all sold out here in Hamilton. They ran it every week from Feb until the second week in April. They said that it was such a success they added more departure cities.

My Suggestion is do not wait much longer because you may find they are sold out on this special deal for the Maritimes. We paid a little over $2300 CDN for March 1 Silhouette out of Moncton (Concierge Class C2). I feel this is a very good price considering it includes not only your classic drink package but also prepaid grat's. Plus you will not have to pay Air Canada $25 per bag plus $25 to reserve seat each way.

Great deal for us Canadians in the Maritimes we do not have the same flight choices as our fellow countrymen in Central Canada.

Here is my take on the Charter Carrier. The charter is with Canadian North who are very use to flying in nasty winter weather in the far Canadian north. So a nasty day in Moncton or Halifax will just an other day to them pilots. Besides Canadian North is a customer of ours but, only for their turboprop planes not their 737's.

THANK YOU CELEBRITY FOR TAKING THIS CHARTER TO THE MARITIMES.

Regards,

Kevin Reid

So that was $2300 before taxes right? So is it just the 15% tax on top of that? And Concierge Class C2 .. that sounds pretty good.

Edited by poffles

Kevin did you write a review on one of your Celebrity cruises? I remember someone from the East Coast who had a review last winter on their cruise with a step by step of their journey. I think that his name was Kevin as well. If that was you I just loved it. The pictures of the snowstorm and their cruise. It did make me laugh and I loved all the details. You are right about Celebrity selling out the packages. They all sold out here in Hamilton. They ran it every week from Feb until the second week in April. They said that it was such a success they added more departure cities.

Right on target !!

Think you are referring to the great Review that FRMPEI did last winter (and indeed his name is Kevin)

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2017737

Truly was a wonderful read, and great photos to boot

Cheers!

Edited by Sloop-JohnB

So that was $2300 before taxes right? So is it just the 15% tax on top of that? And Concierge Class C2 .. that sounds pretty good.

NO! The $2300CDN includes all Taxes and fees. Should also mention this deal also includes your transfer to the port. Act fast or they will be gone. Seriously!

Regards,

Kevin Reid

Right on target !!

Think you are referring to the great Review that FRMPEI did last winter (and indeed his name is Kevin)

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2017737

Truly was a wonderful read, and great photos to boot

Cheers!

Yes! That was me. It was a labour of love. This thread will be/is the start of next years Photo Trip Report for the "Beautiful Celebrity Silhouette" March 1.

Thanks for your kind comments.

Regards,

Kevin Reid

NO! The $2300CDN includes all Taxes and fees. Should also mention this deal also includes your transfer to the port. Act fast or they will be gone. Seriously!

Regards,

Kevin Reid

Agree with Kevin... Awesome deal.

Don't believe him... Do the math for yourself.

Cruise prices for the same cruise & category (info available on Celebrity Website). Then add on Airfare that is not a Charter (such as AC)... Then the cost of ground transfers.

Don't forget the Fact you'll get drinks & a meal on the Charter & headsets all for FREE... Stuff that doesn't happen on AC

It is a fantastic deal !!

If you haven't already... Jump on it.

--- --- ---

Kevin I'll be looking forward to reading your experiences & Review again this year.

Cheers!

• 3 months later...
Now you are talking that would be SUPER SWEET.

What some of our American friends don't realize is how expensive it is for us Canadian to fly. We don't have a "Southwest Airlines" here in Canada. We are already pricing flights to Fort Lauderdale and easily hitting the $800 spot return. Plus add to that $25/person for your first bag of luggage and then add to that $25 more to reserve your seat. That is $50/person times 2 for roundtrip. ($200 per couple).

Last March for the first time we flew in two days early which was less stressful but added cost of two nights Hotel room plus eats. I am loving this Celebrity deal more and more and it is a very attractive package for us Maritimers. So much so that we already sent our e-mail to our TA to book Silhouette for March 1 for four.

THANK YOU CELEBRITY

Regards

Kevin Reid

Hey Kevin ... I realize I am resurrecting an older thread (not that old though) but wanted to pop back in and say that I booked this from Halifax for April 4th. Super excited to not have to be looking for flights and pre/post hotels. Even talked another couple into the trip and they have never cruised and suspect they will be spoiled by this. Booked on my recent Summit trip and got the extra OBC which was bonus for us and them so even better. The only thing I would have liked better is if we could have done the western trip but only Reflection eastern out of Halifax. Oh well we will suffer it out LOL.

Can't wait to hear how it is for you, maybe you'll pop on here after your trip and before I go in April!

Edited by poffles

Yes, they are offering this out of London Ontario Canada also......good deal as long as the weather cooperates. We prefer to go the day before just in case

Smart...

But, we go a day early just in case and,

a day earlier than that, just in case, just in case.. :)

An extra two days in MIA, in always nice... ;)

Mid-January in DEN can be nasty on airlines travel...

We are booked on the Reflection AI pkg out of Hamilton, Ontario (west of Toronto) in February. We paid in Canadian funds. Great deal. Counting down the days. First cruise, can't wait!!:)

Taking into account how much the Canadian dollar went down since this summer, I'm sure you made a goos deal.

Enjoy your cruise!

On a different subject, I have a question about how they selected the cities included in the promotion. We live in Montreal and it was not available for us; we would had to drive to Ottawa or Quebec City to use the promotion. It is strange, taking into account that the Montreal area is more populated that these two other cities. Does someone know why?

Taking into account how much the Canadian dollar went down since this summer, I'm sure you made a goos deal.

Enjoy your cruise!

On a different subject, I have a question about how they selected the cities included in the promotion. We live in Montreal and it was not available for us; we would had to drive to Ottawa or Quebec City to use the promotion. It is strange, taking into account that the Montreal area is more populated that these two other cities. Does someone know why?

I think they do it to get people who do not want to drive to Montreal or Toronto

Is it any cheaper then booking your own flight out of Montreal ?

Enjoy your cruise!

I believe it has to do with the Airline (Canadian North) that they charter and where they fly out of.

Canadian North flies out a long list of cities... Including Montreal.

http://www.canadiannorth.com/

I think that Celebrity Canada's thinking was to get the best bang for the buck for these AI Deals...

They chose airports in cities that are a tad smaller (airport fees) as well as evenly spaced out for each market they were after... So that their potential customer list could be even broader. This makes a lot if sense if you look at the list:

Southwestern Ontario = YXU London

Southern Ontario = YHM Hamilton

Eastern Ontario & Western Quebec = YOW Ottawa

Central Quebec = YQB Quebec City

New Brunswick = YQM Moncton

Nova Scotia = YHZ Halifax

The amount of people they can appeal to within a 2 to 3 Hour Drive is staggering (approximately 20 Million Canadians or more than 55% of our total population)

Smart marketing if you ask me... A first by a Cruise Line... Especially if you consider just how high a percentage it is here for the number of us who take some sort of Southern Sunshine Vacation each winter (higher percentage of Cdns travel than our US cousins). For once a US Co got it right... Very right.

Cheers!

Edited by Sloop-JohnB

Thanks for posting this! I've been very curious about the prices.

I wonder if the prices from Toronto were cheaper?

Simple math for me says this would come to $7876 for DH, myself and our two kids. YIKES!

On our last cruise, I think I paid about $2600 for Reflection for all 4 of us (we booked a 3/4 PAX free promo. I think our flight out of Air Canada was $2300. We had a direct flight from Pearson to Miami. We could have flown much cheaper out of buffalo, but then we'd have to make our way from FLL to Miami, and we decided to just pay Air Canada.

Our next cruise, we booked a CC cabin, and the cost was about $3200. I'm sure I will get a flight deal from BUF to FLL (sailing out of Everglades) - but we'll still be well under $5K for our holiday.

This was a 1/2 page ad that appeared in Saturday's "The Guardian" July 19/14. Ad was so big I had to scan in two parts to fit on my scanner.

CE2014_AD_Top-XL.jpg

CE2014_AD_Bot-XL.jpg

Our travel agent told us that Canadian North was doing the Air Charter not sure if they are doing the other Canadian Cities. This look like a pretty good deal and love the idea of charter. Last year Transat stopped their direct charters form Halifax to Ft Lauderdale.

Thank You Celebrity for think that the Maritimes is worthy of these charters. Looks like will will probably book Celebrity Silhouette eastern early March rather than the 10 day Equinox.

Regards,

Kevin Reid

Sounds a tad expensive - over $2,000 for a 7 nighter, but then I don't what airfare from the Maritimes usually runs.

I think they do it to get people who do not want to drive to Montreal or Toronto

Is it any cheaper then booking your own flight out of Montreal ?

I didn't do maths but we should add parking in Ottawa and probably one hotel night for an early flight; anyway convenience is the most important factor.

Thanks also to the other repliers, your answers make sense. Celebrity tries to attract new customers who normally have to fly from Montreal or Toronto.

Sounds a tad expensive - over $2,000 for a 7 nighter, but then I don't what airfare from the Maritimes usually runs.

We are in Eastern Ontario. Airfare from the Maritimes would be even higher than it is for us.

Airfare in / from Canada has increased SIGNIFICANTLY this year... If one books their own flights (not a Charter Pkg) where I live one can easily be paying $850 to $1000 (and up return).

When Mr Sloop & I first saw these ads in the Summertime we did the math... They are good deals vs buying ala carte on one's own for these particular HIGH SEASON sailings (Early Feb thru Early April) and a sweet deal as they are AI and include Transfers & Airfare (with Drinks, a Meal, and Headsets).

We looked at both the Silhouette & Reflection for comparison... These sailings and Concierge would have cost about $ 1700 pp (also an increase in price this year).

Charter Concierge price looked high on paper, but no where near what it would have cost to do ala cart with Airfare & Tranfers on our own

Cheers!

Edited by Sloop-JohnB

Four of us are already booked on the Celebrity Reflection, flying out of Hamilton. Before booking, I did the comparisons for the same cruise/same cabin flying out of Toronto and Buffalo. I also checked three other major cruise lines and several airlines to see if I could put together a similar package. There is no comparison. We are saving time and money with time and convenience being the most important factors.

We live in Toronto and I just did a quick check on a X Silhouette I can get a balcony for $850.00 US all taxes in and $100.00 ship board credit. Gratuities are $168.00 for the 7 day cruise so $68.00 out of pocket cost.

I just read this is a Concierge offer we usually do Aqua on X but for quick pricing this is just a balcony price I would need to call an agent to get the current A1 price.

We are Elite plus so the free drinks offered from 5:30 to 8:30 daily are more then we care to drink even on vacation so drinks for us are free.

We would drive to Buffalo 1.5 hours to the airport and do Park and fly package about $80.00US which gives 2 weeks parking and an evenings accommodation pre cruise.

Arrive at the airport only 1/2 hour ahead of the flight by Hotel shuttle a 5 minute ride not a stress filled 30 minute 401 drive and a two hour wait pre flight in Toronto.

So the drive to Buffalo and next day showing up at airport actually takes less time and stress then arriving at Toronto airport.

Fly SouthWest round trip for $350.00 per person. We travel with our sound canceling head phones and a MacBook Air to watch moves on flight and we get 1 free checked bag each plus a coffee or pop in flight with some peanuts.

Transfer from airport to ship $20.00 no cattle call or wait for bus to fill and another $20.00 to return from Ship to airport.

Cruise = $850.00pp

Gratuities = $40.00pp

Hotel and parking = $40.00pp

Flight = $350.00pp

Transfer = $20.00pp

Total cost would be just $1,300.00 per person for a balcony for 7 days.

We would not bother going for 7 days as we are retired and why bothers with 7 day vacations?

We would also fly down a day early and stay on the strip near the ship my wife likes hitting the Ross dress for less and no stress for her worrying about missing the ship due to weather. So add another $60.00 per person for a hotel

We would book a back to back or jump another ship in port so add another $850.00 plus $40.00 tips or $900.00 it would be less if we did an Ocean view.

There would be some additional cost for meals while staying at the hotels but we would do some power shopping in Buffalo before we returned to Canada as well as gas the car at around $2.00 a gallon instead of $1.00 a liter.

Now you are talking $2,260.00 for 14 days of cruising 2 nights accommodation pre cruise, 2 weeks parking, flight and transfers per person!

Amazing what one can do when retired and one has nothing but time on their hands.

Cheers

We live in Toronto and I just did a quick check on a X Silhouette I can get a balcony for $850.00 US all taxes in and $100.00 ship board credit. Gratuities are $168.00 for the 7 day cruise so $68.00 out of pocket cost.

I just read this is a Concierge offer we usually do Aqua on X but for quick pricing this is just a balcony price I would need to call an agent to get the current A1 price.

We are Elite plus so the free drinks offered from 5:30 to 8:30 daily are more then we care to drink even on vacation so drinks for us are free.

We would drive to Buffalo 1.5 hours to the airport and do Park and fly package about $80.00US which gives 2 weeks parking and an evenings accommodation pre cruise.

Arrive at the airport only 1/2 hour ahead of the flight by Hotel shuttle a 5 minute ride not a stress filled 30 minute 401 drive and a two hour wait pre flight in Toronto.

So the drive to Buffalo and next day showing up at airport actually takes less time and stress then arriving at Toronto airport.

Fly SouthWest round trip for $350.00 per person. We travel with our sound canceling head phones and a MacBook Air to watch moves on flight and we get 1 free checked bag each plus a coffee or pop in flight with some peanuts.

Transfer from airport to ship $20.00 no cattle call or wait for bus to fill and another $20.00 to return from Ship to airport.

Cruise = $850.00pp

Gratuities = $40.00pp

Hotel and parking = $40.00pp

Flight = $350.00pp

Transfer = $20.00pp

Total cost would be just $1,300.00 per person for a balcony for 7 days.

We would not bother going for 7 days as we are retired and why bothers with 7 day vacations?

We would also fly down a day early and stay on the strip near the ship my wife likes hitting the Ross dress for less and no stress for her worrying about missing the ship due to weather. So add another $60.00 per person for a hotel

We would book a back to back or jump another ship in port so add another $850.00 plus $40.00 tips or $900.00 it would be less if we did an Ocean view.

There would be some additional cost for meals while staying at the hotels but we would do some power shopping in Buffalo before we returned to Canada as well as gas the car at around $2.00 a gallon instead of $1.00 a liter.

Now you are talking $2,260.00 for 14 days of cruising 2 nights accommodation pre cruise, 2 weeks parking, flight and transfers per person!

Amazing what one can do when retired and one has nothing but time on their hands.

Cheers

Hi BALDERCASH,

Lol I was reading thru your post, and have to admit I was thinking "ba-hum-bug whoopee for you another retired guy who can come & go as he pleases"... So OF COURSE he can get a better deal than the people who would take advantage of these Celebrity Canada AI Charters :rolleyes:

Then you closed with your last line... And all was well with the world once again :D

Thanks for my much needed chuckle of the day :)

Someday, we too will have these sweet advantages of Retirement... Cannot wait.

Cheers!

Ps.. BTW I never begrudge the deals that Retired Folks get... They have definitely earned them... Having contributed to society for many many years

Edited by Sloop-JohnB