Look! What was in Our Local Paper Today...

FRMPEI

When the ads first appeared last winter we did a little number crunching and decided that it would be more cost-effective to make our own arrangements, specially since we usually try to extend our visits south during the harsh winter months. Leaving home a day or more before we sail and staying on for a few days after disembarking makes for a more relaxed holiday.

As far as I can see, the main advantage of the flight/cruise combo is the peace of mind in knowing that, should weather be a factor, the duty to get us to the ship will fall to those who are responsible for selling us the package. That and the party atmosphere that likely begins as soon as the flight takes off, if it is indeed a charter (and that may or may not be a good thing...)

:)

Hey Kevin ... I realize I am resurrecting an older thread (not that old though) but wanted to pop back in and say that I booked this from Halifax for April 4th. Super excited to not have to be looking for flights and pre/post hotels. Even talked another couple into the trip and they have never cruised and suspect they will be spoiled by this. Booked on my recent Summit trip and got the extra OBC which was bonus for us and them so even better. The only thing I would have liked better is if we could have done the western trip but only Reflection eastern out of Halifax. Oh well we will suffer it out LOL.

Can't wait to hear how it is for you, maybe you'll pop on here after your trip and before I go in April!

Hello There Fellow Maritimer.

Congratulation on booking this one. The past few years we would leave out of Halifax but 2015 will be our first time for us ever flying out of Moncton for anything. We are super excited it is going top be a family cruise with our two adult sons coming with us along with my sister and her DH. We have three cabins all together and will be able to open up balcony dividers.

Right now I have full intentions of doing a complete Photo/video Trip report of our March 1 Silhouette adventure. It will be a lot of work but, I have fun doing it.

Regards,

Kevin Reid

Cruise = $850.00pp

Gratuities = $40.00pp

Hotel and parking = $40.00pp

Flight = $350.00pp

Transfer = $20.00pp

Total cost would be just $1,300.00 per person for a balcony for 7 days.

Cheers

Please don't take offence but, I do think you are low balling your numbers above. Even with today's FX exchange you would have to add a minimum of 15%. I just checked the Celebrity website for a Silhouette cruise in March 2015 and the cheapest rate is $769 CDN (plus tax) for an inside, Balcony starting at $1339 CDN (plus tax), and Concierge C3 $2019.

For the folks like me who can't drive to Buffalo or any other close border airport this July Ad was a super deal. We received a Concierge C2 room plus flight, Classic Bev package, Grats, Transfers from and to airport, No extra Air Canada fees (baggage 7 Seat Selection) all for just over $2300 CDN with taxes and ports fees in.

Checking the Celeb Website for Silhouette March 2015 looks like all of the charter packages have been sold out except for Moncton YQM. They still have Concierge C3 package at $3005 CDN. Which is quite a bit higher than what we paid.

Regards,

Kevin Reid

We'll be looking to do just that next year Baldercash. We ARE retired and, like you, can travel when we want. Toronto International has become a zoo during winter travel times and the prices are just plain stupid. The airport taxes are more money than the flight via Southwest. We have a great place to stay in Buffalo with free parking as part of our one-night stay (with gourmet meal also as part of the overnight stay). With luck, this will be the last year we have to travel Air Canada to Miami or Ft. lauderdale.

Sent from Al's iPad using Tapatalk

We are in Eastern Ontario. Airfare from the Maritimes would be even higher than it is for us.

Airfare in / from Canada has increased SIGNIFICANTLY this year... If one books their own flights (not a Charter Pkg) where I live one can easily be paying $850 to $1000 (and up return).

When Mr Sloop & I first saw these ads in the Summertime we did the math... They are good deals vs buying ala carte on one's own for these particular HIGH SEASON sailings (Early Feb thru Early April) and a sweet deal as they are AI and include Transfers & Airfare (with Drinks, a Meal, and Headsets).

We looked at both the Silhouette & Reflection for comparison... These sailings and Concierge would have cost about $ 1700 pp (also an increase in price this year).

Charter Concierge price looked high on paper, but no where near what it would have cost to do ala cart with Airfare & Tranfers on our own

Cheers!

$1000 to fly to FLL out of Ontario :eek:

I do not pay the much for return to Europe

$1000 to fly to FLL out of Ontario :eek:

I do not pay the much for return to Europe

Indeed...

Apples to apples and things really can be shocking.

Just did a dummy booking with Air Canada... Montreal to Miami (results are similar for Ottawa)... Saturday to Saturday during March Break - Direct Flight. Air Canada's lowest offering = $ 1272.78 Cdn including Taxes & Fees

Add on $ 25 each way for Checked Bag # 1 = $ 50.00

Add on $ 35 each way for Checked Bag # 2 = $ 70.00

Total cost DOES NOT include any Food, Drink or Entertainment (available on the Celebrity Canada Charters) or any Airport to Port & Back Transfers

Down right scary !!

Or as my GF says... "the cruise was fairly reasonable considering the All Inclusive deals... It was the airfare that is killing us"

Which is probably why so many of the Celebrity Fans I know in Eastern Ontario are either booked into me of these charters or find other ways to offset their transportation costs (Air Miles / Driving South etc)

Cheers!

Edited by Sloop-JohnB

Indeed...

Just did a dummy booking with Air Canada... Montreal to Miami (results are similar for Ottawa)... Saturday to Saturday during March Break - Direct Flight. Air Canada's lowest offering = $ 1272.78 Cdn including Taxes & Fees

Total cost DOES NOT include any Food, Drink or Entertainment (available on the Celebrity Canada Charters) or any Airport to Port & Back Transfers

Down right scary !!

Or as my GF says... "the cruise was fairly reasonable considering the All Inclusive deals... It was the airfare that is killing us"

Which is probably why so many of the Celebrity Fans I know in Eastern Ontario are either booked into me of these charters or find other ways to offset their transportation costs (Air Miles / Driving South etc)

Cheers!

Why pick the most expensive time ?

$450 return second week in January

image.jpg.cd8e820025a03ca2fd02ae6767d2ff97.jpg

Edited by Airbalancer

Please don't take offence but, I do think you are low balling your numbers above. Even with today's FX exchange you would have to add a minimum of 15%. I just checked the Celebrity website for a Silhouette cruise in March 2015 and the cheapest rate is $769 CDN (plus tax) for an inside, Balcony starting at $1339 CDN (plus tax), and Concierge C3 $2019.

For the folks like me who can't drive to Buffalo or any other close border airport this July Ad was a super deal. We received a Concierge C2 room plus flight, Classic Bev package, Grats, Transfers from and to airport, No extra Air Canada fees (baggage 7 Seat Selection) all for just over $2300 CDN with taxes and ports fees in.

Checking the Celeb Website for Silhouette March 2015 looks like all of the charter packages have been sold out except for Moncton YQM. They still have Concierge C3 package at $3005 CDN. Which is quite a bit higher than what we paid.

Regards,

Kevin Reid

Kevin no offense taken, we peruse these forums to get informed and comment.

Sorry but the intent of my post was not to put down those who booked I specifically quoted a poster who said they bought the package after considering ease of use and convince I stated I was in a different situation being retired living in Toronto and with time on my hands.

I quoted in US dollars as I read a post stating the fine print said USD, I use a Cross Boarder US account and a US credit card so I always think in USD and only worry about exchange rates if I have to buy funds.

That aside I did not quote low but on the high side I can easily shave more from the prices quoted.

I just checked and I could cruise the Reflection in a suite on Jan 10th for $1499.00USD my agent would likely shave that price as well as give me more OBC or possibly per paid gratuities.

I would also pay with Future cruise deposits which would give even more shipboard credit.

I book through a US agency but CC does not allow posting of or recommending Travel agencies you need to research them yourself I have been reprimanded in the past by CC for posting such information.

I just booked a flight for March 2nd to Orlando from Buffalo on South West for $114.00USD I go to Daytona for Bike Week with buddies every year.

I could have flown to Daytona direct the same day using Spirit Airlines for $89.00USD from Niagara NY but the rental car is cheaper in Orlando and I collect SW points.

I am confident I could fly round trip to Ft Lauderdale for less then $300.00USD with planning as I usually fly for around $140.00USD SW.

We stayed at the Holiday Inn Express in Ft Lauderdale in September for $80.00USD using my TD Expedia card so I quoted high there as well.

But all this saving takes time which is the reason a package is so appealing, however if you look you will be shocked at some of the packages US travel agencies offer.

I have learned that the thing with buying something is that as soon as you do there is always somewhere you could have got it cheaper.

I always look at it that if I thought it was a good deal when I bought it then I just enjoy.

Edited by baldercash

Indeed...

Down right scary !!

Cheers!

You can fly West Jet out of Montreal on March 7th and back on the 15th for $612 CDN or United for $544.00 per person but with longer stop overs.

Not sure when March break is but I think it is the 2nd week of March?

Use "ITA's Matrix" search engine it just gives flights and cost for all airlines for a given date and destination it does not sell the tickets.

You use the supplied information to go find a vender to buy your flight.

Good hunting and your girl friend is right it is a very good deal when you consider the perks it offers.

Don't let her talk you into she needs 2 checked 50 pound bags for a 7 day cruise : )

Cheers

Edited by baldercash

Why pick the most expensive time ?

$450 return second week in January

Ummm...

Because...

1- You were AGHAST at my $ 1000+ Quote for Airfare

2- We are talking / comparing the Celebrity Canada Charters (Feb to Apr) HIGH SEASON only... Not Early Jan which is "the lowest weeks in Winter"

3- The most travelled week of the lot is going to be Ontario's March Break

Outside of the Charters... Ya one MIGHT find better deals IF they have some flexibility... Or choose to fly out of nearby US Airports as many do (Detroit MI - Buffalo NY - Syracuse NY - Burlington VT - Bangor ME)

Cheers!

Edited by Sloop-JohnB

Ummm...

Because...

1- You were AGHAST at my $ 1000+ Quote for Airfare

2- We are talking / comparing the Celebrity Canada Charters (Feb to Apr) HIGH SEASON only... Not Early Jan which is "the lowest weeks in Winter"

3- The most travelled week of the lot is going to be Ontario's March Break

Outside of the Charters... Ya one MIGHT find better deals IF they have some flexibility... Or choose to fly out of nearby US Airports as many do (Detroit MI - Buffalo NY - Syracuse NY - Burlington VT - Bangor ME)

Cheers!

I love that you are speaking to our ability to do the numbers and our finding this a good deal for us but I also find it sad that there is a need to do so.

When I read others quoting low airfare costs I think of the flights I've found in my searches that were low and they always tend to have many stops along the way at all hours and often have an overnight somewhere which is not how I want to start or end my vacation. Just as you've been saying, one cannot do a direct comparison without considering all the pieces under the hood .. time of year, flight detail (direct is going to be a treat as it has been a long time since we've flew direct from Halifax and after my recent experience with Newark it's value has risen for me!) cabin selection etc.

Carry on LOL

Hello There Fellow Maritimer.

Congratulation on booking this one. The past few years we would leave out of Halifax but 2015 will be our first time for us ever flying out of Moncton for anything. We are super excited it is going top be a family cruise with our two adult sons coming with us along with my sister and her DH. We have three cabins all together and will be able to open up balcony dividers.

Right now I have full intentions of doing a complete Photo/video Trip report of our March 1 Silhouette adventure. It will be a lot of work but, I have fun doing it.

Regards,

Kevin Reid

Will look forward to it and have a super duper trip. Should be extra special with all the family going. And I read every word of your past trip report ... it was awesome and can certainly see the work you put into it.

What each one must think of what's works for one does not work for the other. We will be flying out of Hamilton in Feb. did the same package this past April. We're we pleased with it yes. 5 minutes from our home to the airport. On the plane with drinks,meals,movie and headphones. Did not have to worry paying extra for luggage or parking. Direct flight to Miami both coming and going and flights on time. Did not have to print boarding passes or order luggage tags TA did that. Drink package,prepaid gratuities done. Booked Aqua stateroom and was able to get a suite for $50.00 for both of us as an upgrade. And that included a dinner in one of the restaurants.

Was it worry free you bet.

We have been in many cruises. When living in Florida for the winter months. $800.00 for a balcony stateroom drive to the airport and park the car and only have to pay a low rate at that.

Fly out of TO done that was well ( out of all the airports we have been to it had to be the worst) Fly out of Buffalo many times.

Would it be cheaper to do it on our own you bet it would. Or would it? Drive to Buffalo- cost of gas pay at the bridge. Hotel the night before due to an early flight. Dinner in the evening.

Transfers to hotel in Florida stay at hotel 2 days. Meals for 2 days and the transfers to cruise port plus transfers back to airport.

When we do it that way I have to find flights (will only take direct flights) hotel in Buffalo hotel in Florida and so on. Then it is hard at times to find a good flight times on return. I do not want to sit in an airport for hours waiting for our return flight home. Can't book an early flight than you have to be concerned of getting to the airport in time.

There are many options out there. So what works for one does not dork for the other.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

We live in Toronto and I just did a quick check on a X Silhouette I can get a balcony for $850.00 US all taxes in and $100.00 ship board credit. Gratuities are $168.00 for the 7 day cruise so $68.00 out of pocket cost.

I just read this is a Concierge offer we usually do Aqua on X but for quick pricing this is just a balcony price I would need to call an agent to get the current A1 price.

We are Elite plus so the free drinks offered from 5:30 to 8:30 daily are more then we care to drink even on vacation so drinks for us are free.

We would drive to Buffalo 1.5 hours to the airport and do Park and fly package about $80.00US which gives 2 weeks parking and an evenings accommodation pre cruise.

Arrive at the airport only 1/2 hour ahead of the flight by Hotel shuttle a 5 minute ride not a stress filled 30 minute 401 drive and a two hour wait pre flight in Toronto.

So the drive to Buffalo and next day showing up at airport actually takes less time and stress then arriving at Toronto airport.

Fly SouthWest round trip for $350.00 per person. We travel with our sound canceling head phones and a MacBook Air to watch moves on flight and we get 1 free checked bag each plus a coffee or pop in flight with some peanuts.

Transfer from airport to ship $20.00 no cattle call or wait for bus to fill and another $20.00 to return from Ship to airport.

Cruise = $850.00pp

Gratuities = $40.00pp

Hotel and parking = $40.00pp

Flight = $350.00pp

Transfer = $20.00pp

Total cost would be just $1,300.00 per person for a balcony for 7 days.

We would not bother going for 7 days as we are retired and why bothers with 7 day vacations?

We would also fly down a day early and stay on the strip near the ship my wife likes hitting the Ross dress for less and no stress for her worrying about missing the ship due to weather. So add another $60.00 per person for a hotel

We would book a back to back or jump another ship in port so add another $850.00 plus $40.00 tips or $900.00 it would be less if we did an Ocean view.

There would be some additional cost for meals while staying at the hotels but we would do some power shopping in Buffalo before we returned to Canada as well as gas the car at around $2.00 a gallon instead of $1.00 a liter.

Now you are talking $2,260.00 for 14 days of cruising 2 nights accommodation pre cruise, 2 weeks parking, flight and transfers per person!

Amazing what one can do when retired and one has nothing but time on their hands.

Cheers

I agree with all your reasons for flying out of Buffalo. From Oakville, i can drive across the fort erie boarder, park my car and be sitting at the gate in under 90 minutes (some days). With Toronto, I'd still be standing at the Park n'fly shuttle waiting to be picked up :(

Flew Air Canada for our Reflection trip, but I think that will be the last one for a while. We have a SW flight booked to Orlando to visit Mr. Potter for March break. I'd love to know where you booked that $80 hotel and park deal?

We have a SW flight booked to Orlando to visit Mr. Potter for March break. I'd love to know where you booked that $80 hotel and park deal?

I just checked Microtel for $74.00USD for March 7th with parking.

There are "Parksleepfly" search engine sites just google for them, there are two main ones that I use.

You can use them in port cities as well if you are leaving a vehicle while on board a cruise.

Cheers

Indeed...

Down right scary !!

Cheers!

Your first mistake is choosing Miami. Fly into Ft. Lauderdale and the price drops to a much more reasonable $650 :rolleyes:

There are also more direct flight choices to be had. One of the reasons I always use the ITA Matrix site to check out flights and options as it let's you input mulitple airports and it will show you where the best prices are.

I lucked into some pre-March break flights for $515 return (Ottawa to Ft. Lauderdale) and managed to also get direct rather than a milk run.

As far as the Celebrity package, depending on where you live and how much work you are prepared to do you may be able to save money by doing things on your own. That being said I know people who did this last year and they felt any extra cost was outweighed by the conveniece.

I'll be curious to see what X does in the event of another major snowstorm that shuts down the northeast like we had last year (although Toronto Pearson was the main cause of Ottawa's problems) and what will happen in the unlikely event that the charter flight is snowed in and can't make it to Florida. I assume the flights are fully booked both weekend days and doubt the airline has extra planes sitting around.

It's one thing to say the ship will wait but at some point they have to pull up anchor and sail.

Your first mistake is choosing Miami. Fly into Ft. Lauderdale and the price drops to a much more reasonable $650 :rolleyes:

There are also more direct flight choices to be had. One of the reasons I always use the ITA Matrix site to check out flights and options as it let's you input mulitple airports and it will show you where the best prices are.

I lucked into some pre-March break flights for $515 return (Ottawa to Ft. Lauderdale) and managed to also get direct rather than a milk run.

As far as the Celebrity package, depending on where you live and how much work you are prepared to do you may be able to save money by doing things on your own. That being said I know people who did this last year and they felt any extra cost was outweighed by the conveniece.

I'll be curious to see what X does in the event of another major snowstorm that shuts down the northeast like we had last year (although Toronto Pearson was the main cause of Ottawa's problems) and what will happen in the unlikely event that the charter flight is snowed in and can't make it to Florida. I assume the flights are fully booked both weekend days and doubt the airline has extra planes sitting around.

It's one thing to say the ship will wait but at some point they have to pull up anchor and sail.

Hi RICKT,

No argument here... We ALWAYS choose Fort Laderdale (FLL) over Miami (MIA)

But as I said... I was comparing Apples to Apples... And BOTH of these Airports are being used by the Celebrity Canada Charters this Winter (and include Airport to Port Transfers )

My numbers were just examples / observations of the crazy cost of comparable Air Travel this year

(Did not work thru all the Charter Cities... Do know that their pricing would be quite similar OR perhaps even higher in cases where one was planning their own trip flying out of smaller centers in The Maritimes that earlier Posters in this topic were referring to)

I really was not aware how bad flight costs had gotten til I was recently chatting with a GF about her upcoming trip south

Personally, we don't have to go thru this pay to go scenario very often... As we usually fly on AirMiles / points

I think the Celebrity Canada Charters are sooo popular for a variety of reasons:

1- Well marketed / advertised... Weekly HUGE Ads in Major Cdn Newspapers

2- Well priced vs DIY during Prime Time Weeks (Early Feb to Early Apr)

3- Guaranteed Arrival (as much as can be)

4- Addresses our love of AIs

5- Flying with a Cdn Airline (believe it or not I know folks who won't fly other Countries Airlines... Due to Safety & Maintenance issues)

And the best reason of them all

CONVENIENCE - one stop shopping does it all

Cheers!

Edited by Sloop-JohnB

I just checked Microtel for $74.00USD for March 7th with parking.

There are "Parksleepfly" search engine sites just google for them, there are two main ones that I use.

You can use them in port cities as well if you are leaving a vehicle while on board a cruise.

Cheers

Thanks, I will try searching google for parksleepfly! I usually go to expedia or some similar site and then search for hotels near BUF. What is the Microtel like? Never stayed there before. Clean? It's only for one night, so i don't expect the best, but I also don't want to pick up anything from the bedsheets for one night's sleep :o Stayed at a redroof in buffalo one time - never again :(

This was a 1/2 page ad that appeared in Saturday's "The Guardian" July 19/14. Ad was so big I had to scan in two parts to fit on my scanner.

CE2014_AD_Top-XL.jpg

CE2014_AD_Bot-XL.jpg

Our travel agent told us that Canadian North was doing the Air Charter not sure if they are doing the other Canadian Cities. This look like a pretty good deal and love the idea of charter. Last year Transat stopped their direct charters form Halifax to Ft Lauderdale.

Thank You Celebrity for think that the Maritimes is worthy of these charters. Looks like will will probably book Celebrity Silhouette eastern early March rather than the 10 day Equinox.

Regards,

Kevin Reid

I was surprised that someone reads the newspaper anymore :eek:

The ink they use now gives me a headache , and most information is on line now

Question for others who have booked one of these charter trips. The included gratuities are actually charged on our booking and we were told they have to do it this way but the charge will actually come off. Did others have this same experience and assuming so when did the charge get removed from the total due? Think they said it would be before final payment but that is a month away for me so left wondering how soon before.

Edited by poffles

Question for others who have booked one of these charter trips. The included gratuities are actually charged on our booking and we were told they have to do it this way but the charge will actually come off. Did others have this same experience and assuming so when did the charge get removed from the total due? Think they said it would be before final payment but that is a month away for me so left wondering how soon before.

Do not worry about , it will get cleared up by your final payment date

Edited by Airbalancer