Pictures with baby monkeys in St. Kitts?

Texasgalsa

We are doing the Southern Caribbean cruise next March. I have seen a few pictures of people with baby monkeys in St. Kitts... I'm obsessed with monkeys as well as my daughter...

Can someone please tell me where these little monkeys are at in St. Kitts? Is it an area by the cruise port?

We must have our picture with them and play with them! LOL

We are doing the Southern Caribbean cruise next March. I have seen a few pictures of people with baby monkeys in St. Kitts... I'm obsessed with monkeys as well as my daughter...

Can someone please tell me where these little monkeys are at in St. Kitts? Is it an area by the cruise port?

We must have our picture with them and play with them! LOL

Usually there is a few guys that have them right in the port Zante shopping area right as you get off the ship. They are usually out in the walkways where the stores are. You will see them unless you don't want to. :cool::D

Be aware that the "cute monkey picture" may cost you much more than expected and if you get bitten by one of these cute monkeys, who can bite, you can then consider all the possible diseases you might have just acquired, including but limited to, HIV. Just a thought, not really trying to be negative, just cautious.

Be careful with the moneys! I'm an RN in the ER and have had many patients, the most recently being 3 weeks ago, that needed the rabies vaccine series (which can be very painful) because they were bit by these monkeys on vacation.

I would also like to caution you about the cruelty of the animal tourist trade in many popular resorts and ports.

I would not pay for entertainment knowing there is a high chance the welfare and health of the animal has been ignored/compromised for the sake of coin. Performing and photo monkeys over the pond are one of the many trades PETA etc are very concerned with.

I feel similarly about swimming with dolphins etc as well.

Edited by Velvetwater

Be aware that the "cute monkey picture" may cost you much more than expected and if you get bitten by one of these cute monkeys, who can bite, you can then consider all the possible diseases you might have just acquired, including but limited to, HIV. Just a thought, not really trying to be negative, just cautious.

Not to mention the insects they carry, like lice and fleas. Keep those monkeys away from me.

They aren't baby monkeys, either -- just a small species.

The owners will walk up and try to put them on your shoulder and offer to take a picture with your camera/phone... then keep it until you pay for the photo. They can be very aggressive and we have seen several arguments about how much/whether to pay. They are in the square immediately when you get off the ship.. just behind a yellow line on the ground that separates those WITH vendor permits and those WITHOUT.

Last trip, a police officer was walking around the square calling out loudly "If you want a picture with the monkey, take the picture. You do NOT have to pay for a picture of the monkeys." The guys were pretty irritated with her, but we figured she was more right than they were. We heard later that the monkeys are also used as a distraction for pickpockets who have an excuse to be closer to you than you'd normally allow.

I simply didn't want a strange animal touching me, so we went through pretty quickly. As others have said, you have NO IDEA what fleas, mites, or disease they have, because (except for the baby diapers) they don't look entirely well cared for, nor very friendly.

Not to mention the insects they carry, like lice and fleas. Keep those monkeys away from me.

Me too. I heard they are all over St. Kitts. Good reason for me to avoid that port.

Although I agree I don't want the monkeys near me, it's no reason to avoid St. Kitts. We were there on a full-day port stop, went all around the island, and didn't encounter monkeys, nor were we bothered by people foisting monkeys on us.

They may be there, but they can easily be avoided. Like any potential annoyance or danger when traveling, you'd just need to keep your eyes open and be aware of your surroundings.

Never considered that, thanks for the cautious info!

A different option if you want to see the Monkeys... is to see them in a more natural habitat. We went to the Wild Animal Preserve in Barbados on our last cruise on this itinerary. We went swimming with the turtles in the morning and then to this animal sanctuary after lunch. They feed the animals in the park at about 2:00 pm so make sure you are there about 1:30 or so. They were fun to watch run around and they will let you feed them and then you don't have to worry about them being mistreated by an unscrupulous owner. I am pasting a link from my review (hoping it is the right page) here so you can kind of see what it looks like.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1768746&page=3

We are going on the Valor in January :D enjoy your cruise

• 2 months later...

We were at St. Kitts last week and saw several men with pairs of monkeys. It was sort of sad to see. The monkeys kept trying to escape from their handlers. When they were quiet, they were hugging each other for comfort.

I felt badly for them.

We took a taxi out to Cockleshell Beach and the taxi stopped on the way out at a place where there were a couple of guys with monkeys and one guy had a donkey.

One guy handed my husband a monkey while I was buying him some beer (3for$5, seriously) and the next thing I knew, he had my husband's camera taking pics and asking for $5. I totally saw that coming and laughed, handing the guy $5 but my husband thought it was tricky.

Once we got out to Cockleshell Beach, we saw wild monkeys running around on the rocks and playing. They were super cute.

We were in St. Kitts a couple weeks ago. There were people with monkeys at the cruise port. We avoided them. We took a private tour to hike Mount Liamuiga. We heard what we were told were monkeys all over the rain forest but we never did see any. On the way up our tour guide pointed out a trap that the farmers use to catch the monkeys. I guess they are a garden pest. He said they use tranquilizers on them and remove them. I didn't ask where they take them. He said that is where the guys in port get the monkeys. He did say they have to get them as babies in order to train them. The adults are too wild.

Edited by WaterontheBrain
spelling