What ship will eventually replace Majesty?

Perhaps the target for those 4 night cruises are retirees or cruisers, sometimes international, that want some land based vacation time in Miami. They look at hotel rates and decide a 4 night cruise great idea for their 7-8 day vacation to SoFL.

I agree. Once you factor in taxes, fees, port charges, tips, etc. 4 nights on a ship is cheaper than 4 night saying in a half decent place in Miami; especially once you factor in food. So it make a nice way to break up a vacation.

I am good with Fri-Mon itineraries. I like the Thurs-Mon for 2 days off too. 4 days itin Mon-Fri isn't awful, but that's just for me because I am local. I can work that Monday morning and salvage most of Friday too. But generally speaking, if you are going to do 4 days you may as well do 7 because for most it is the same time off of work.

The problem is they can't abandon the 3 day market AND expand the 4 day market with one ship. Nobody wants a Mon-Thurs 3 night, that is a waste of time off, IMO.

Maybe Royal runs two ships simultaneously on offset schedules; Majesty and a Voyager-Class ship to see what people really want?

I think the question was asked, when is Majesty due for next dry dock? Or when was the last dry dock? Every 5 years it has to go down for a week or so for some fairly spendy maintenance that RC would certainly want to re-coup.

I sometimes think (not saying you) that some people feel that cruisers on the 3/4 day Bahama itineraries don't deserve the newer ships and what they have to offer......I would love to have them on that route. It would make my weekend getaways have more to do on the ship at least.

Having more options on the ship is great, but are enough people looking for suites, aft balcony expenses, etc. on a 3 night cruise?

To be honest, I thought Majesty was pretty action packed! They made the most of the venues onboard; so it seemed really lively and plenty to do.

I'm definitely NOT against a Voyager class ship; they are my favorite class to date.

It's kind of a shame that bigger and better is all that counts. There's probably room for something between Radiance and Voyager class that could exist with a Royal Promenade and pack enough PAX in to drive revenue on short cruises. It will never be built. I mean sooner or later Carnival has to retire their older Fantasy class ships as well. Maybe the 3/4 market WOULD disappear? I hope not.

Having more options on the ship is great, but are enough people looking for suites, aft balcony expenses, etc. on a 3 night cruise?

To be honest, I thought Majesty was pretty action packed! They made the most of the venues onboard; so it seemed really lively and plenty to do.

I'm definitely NOT against a Voyager class ship; they are my favorite class to date.

It's kind of a shame that bigger and better is all that counts. There's probably room for something between Radiance and Voyager class that could exist with a Royal Promenade and pack enough PAX in to drive revenue on short cruises. It will never be built. I mean sooner or later Carnival has to retire their older Fantasy class ships as well. Maybe the 3/4 market WOULD disappear? I hope not.

I can only speak for myself, but no I wouldn't pay a lot more for a balcony on a 3-day cruise. But I would pay extra to eat in a specialty restaurant for dinner.

We were just on Majesty a few weeks ago and I agree that the entertainment was very good. Plus we were in port a lot of the time so we didn't need a lot of daytime activities. It's not so much that I want more things to do. It's that I'd like a newer, nicer, prettier ship. I love 2-story dining rooms, interesting and attractive bars, things that make you say "wow!".

Paulette, I think you are right that the current opinion is that the short cruises don't deserve the nicer ships. But it wasn't always that way. Our first cruise was a 4-day cruise on the Carnival Fantasy when it was brand new. I wonder when the cruise lines decided to use only old ships for their shorter itineraries.

It's funny how Disney's product is so differentiated in the marketplace that they can and do put newer ships on shorter cruises and they are able to charge huge premiums for the experience.

I don't think we would ever see a Radiance class ship in Miami year round. They have too many features that are meant for colder climate cruises. Either Royal was happy with the Mariner experiment and would consider a Voyager class, or it's likely to be something like Enchantment. Of course, they could always drop Key West as a port, but I don't know where else they would go in 4 days, other than Cozumel, like they do with the 4 day cruises of Fort Lauderdale.

It's funny how Disney's product is so differentiated in the marketplace that they can and do put newer ships on shorter cruises and they are able to charge huge premiums for the experience.

I don't think we would ever see a Radiance class ship in Miami year round. They have too many features that are meant for colder climate cruises. Either Royal was happy with the Mariner experiment and would consider a Voyager class, or it's likely to be something like Enchantment. Of course, they could always drop Key West as a port, but I don't know where else they would go in 4 days, other than Cozumel, like they do with the 4 day cruises of Fort Lauderdale.

Doesn't Carnival do the 4 day cruises during the week to Key West and Cozumel? That would make for a decent back to back

Doesn't Carnival do the 4 day cruises during the week to Key West and Cozumel? That would make for a decent back to back

Carnival Victory does a 4-day to Key West and Cozumel every other weekend. It's on a 4/5/5 schedule.

Carnival Ecstacy does a 4-day cruise to Key West and Cozumel during the week (Mon-Fri).

Maybe people combine the cruise with a few days at Disney World. That would make the price of a flight to Florida more worthwhile. Plus "it's Disney". :)

The problem with 4 day cruises that involve KW and Cozumel is, they have to leave KW early to make the trip to Cozumel. They usually leave around 2. On Majesty's current route, she stays until 6.

Carnival Victory does a 4-day to Key West and Cozumel every other weekend. It's on a 4/5/5 schedule.

Carnival Ecstacy does a 4-day cruise to Key West and Cozumel during the week (Mon-Fri).

Great thanks

The problem with 4 day cruises that involve KW and Cozumel is, they have to leave KW early to make the trip to Cozumel. They usually leave around 2. On Majesty's current route, she stays until 6.

Yeah that's true. KW sucks in the mornings away.

This is true. On Victory, we were in Key West from 7 to 2. Horrible hours! But better than a day at sea. :)

If they do a major ship upgrade (to Voyager class) then it is very possible that KW is no longer an option. They could do Labadee and/or Cozumel. (probably too far to do both in 4 days). It's not like the people of KW are making ships feel welcome since they won't even allow a study of whether the channel can be widened.

And if they have one stop and then sea days, it's not really a problem on a Voyager class, since there's a lot more to do onboard. They will want to maximize that onboard revenue.

If they do a major ship upgrade (to Voyager class) then it is very possible that KW is no longer an option. They could do Labadee and/or Cozumel. (probably too far to do both in 4 days). It's not like the people of KW are making ships feel welcome since they won't even allow a study of whether the channel can be widened.

And if they have one stop and then sea days, it's not really a problem on a Voyager class, since there's a lot more to do onboard. They will want to maximize that onboard revenue.

A 4 day that ONLY went to Labadee would be awesome. I think that's a good "getaway, downtime" type of cruise. 2 sea days and Labadee. Plenty to do on the ships; nothing to get crazy over for when you stop because you pretty much are in one area.

I could see fuel burn being an issue with an itin like that. They could probably still keep a 3 nighter doing CocoCay and Nassau.

I understand people wanting to go to Key West, and I understand that KW won't let ships stay overnight, but beyond a few unique places to visit it can feel very tourist trappy during the day and doesn't really show off its unique party flavor until night time. The early KW departure times are disappointing.

I wonder what the chances are of ugly balconies being added to the side of the ship like some of the Fantasy Class "Superliners" and just keeping Majesty running for more years.

I doubt that they would modify Majesty to that extent.

I don't understand your logic when you write: "If they do a major ship upgrade (to Voyager class) then it is very possible that KW is no longer an option." They will not be making the ship larger and unable to fit in the channel, so if a Voyager class fits and Mariner did some type of 'dry run' there to determine its viability, then it fits.

KW may not want to do a study of whether the channel can be widened -- personally that is foolish, but it is there decision. I am sure they don't want unnecessary expense, as much as they don't want to lose revenue from a ship line taking KW off of one of its' itineraries.

KW may not want to do a study of whether the channel can be widened -- personally that is foolish, but it is there decision. I am sure they don't want unnecessary expense, as much as they don't want to lose revenue from a ship line taking KW off of one of its' itineraries.

Ref the channel widening thing...it is a topic of contention down here and frankly, even as a cruiser, I'm not a supporter of widening the channel either. A little education on the topic, and anyone with sense would hardly call the resistence "foolish."

The main ship channel goes through a break in the reef...America's only living barrier reef. And it's because of that reef the Florida Keys are one of the most popular dive destinations in the World. Channel widening threatens that reef, which is already showing signs of bleaching. Plus, the widening will destroy seagrass beds that are turtle habitat. Destorying that habitat to benefit the already flourishing bars and t-shirt shops just isn't worth it to me.

On top of all that, downtown Key West is already a madhouse when there are 2 or 3 ships in port.

Ref the channel widening thing...it is a topic of contention down here and frankly, even as a cruiser, I'm not a supporter of widening the channel either. A little education on the topic, and anyone with sense would hardly call the resistence "foolish."

The main ship channel goes through a break in the reef...America's only living barrier reef. And it's because of that reef the Florida Keys are one of the most popular dive destinations in the World. Channel widening threatens that reef, which is already showing signs of bleaching. Plus, the widening will destroy seagrass beds that are turtle habitat. Destorying that habitat to benefit the already flourishing bars and t-shirt shops just isn't worth it to me.

On top of all that, downtown Key West is already a madhouse when there are 2 or 3 ships in port.

What I was calling foolish was the resistance to investigating the issue. It is easy to surmise that plenty of research has been done and information can be garnered from various sources, and you have made specific points that probably are a result of those research projects. I have plenty of sense, common and otherwise, and always believe it is wise to investigate matters effectively to continue to help plan for the future. They could choose not to widen the channel for all the reasons you bring up and perhaps others....but it is sensible to do the study, IMO -- and that is just it -- my opinion.

I don't have a specific opinion on the issue itself, as you have; I don't have enough knowledge on the issue to form an opinion.

What I was calling foolish was the resistance to investigating the issue. It is easy to surmise that plenty of research has been done and information can be garnered from various sources, and you have made specific points that probably are a result of those research projects. I have plenty of sense, common and otherwise, and always believe it is wise to investigate matters effectively to continue to help plan for the future. They could choose not to widen the channel for all the reasons you bring up and perhaps others....but it is sensible to do the study, IMO -- and that is just it -- my opinion.

I don't have a specific opinion on the issue itself, as you have; I don't have enough knowledge on the issue to form an opinion.

Thanks for that...and I apologize for misunderstanding you. :o

Yeah, it's been independentely researched to some degree. What was voted against down here was the local government funded research that was spearheaded by a city commissioner who was the biggest proponent of the widening....coincidently, a commisioner who owns a large bar complex on Duval St (Ricks) and stands to benefit from it. Yeah...small town politics. Ethics aren't exactly a matter of importance around here.

Have they ever been Aqauhound? :) But seriously, I understand your point - the issue for KW is that soon there may be no ships that go there because of the growing size of ships. It certainly will be interesting how it turns out.

Paulette, we don't know what happened with the Mariner test. As someone pointed out, Royal may have decided it wasn't worth the risk of the tighter channel. All I know is that they have made a lot of 4 day runs to Cozumel with Voyager class and none of them stop at KW when it is perfectly feasible from a time and fuel perspective. They still stop at KW with a Radiance or Vision class. Which brings me back to my prediction for Enchantment to replace MJ if they want to keep the same itinerary.

But oh, I would love a cruise that went to Labadee.

the issue for KW is that soon there may be no ships that go there because of the growing size of ships

We're having the same issue in Tampa. The newer ships can't fit under the Sunshine Skyway Bridge or turn around in the channel. We're going to have to decide whether to spend millions moving the port, raising the bridge or building a new bridge or if we're just going to lose the cruise ship business.

Thanks for that...and I apologize for misunderstanding you. :o

Yeah, it's been independentely researched to some degree. What was voted against down here was the local government funded research that was spearheaded by a city commissioner who was the biggest proponent of the widening....coincidently, a commisioner who owns a large bar complex on Duval St (Ricks) and stands to benefit from it. Yeah...small town politics. Ethics aren't exactly a matter of importance around here.

In any small town, there is small town politics -- I have lived in a few small towns over my life.

I am sure his bar complex does very well when ships are in town, and he does have a personal interest in that business growth for sure....but it does also benefit others besides him. Just like it would hurt him and others if one ship stopped putting KW on its itinerary. I don't expect Royal to abort KW on the 4 day route, it is a very appealing stop for cruisers.

• 1 month later...

Has anyone been on a Majesty cruise lately when the question was brought up to either the Captain or the Loyalty Ambassador at one of the on board events?

DH and I may be going on Majesty over Thanksgiving weekend, if we can arrange it around work schedules....and if we do, we will bring it up then, so just curious if it came up on previous cruises.