What ship will eventually replace Majesty?

However wouldn't they have to raise prices on a Vision class ship due to it's lower passenger capacity then Sovereign class?

I'm about to sail Majesty for the 5th time. I have always enjoyed her. But since her last refurb was 2007, if they are going to keep her past 2016, it would be nice if they would giver her another freshening.

I don't see how they would put anything but a Vision class in to replace her at this point. The 3/4 day market is very competitive. I don't think people would consistently pay Voyager prices, especially first time cruisers who wouldn't know much about the differences in ships.

Enchantment is the only ship in the Vision class that has a passenger capacity close to Majesty .... and if that is moved into replacing Majesty, something has to replace Enchantment in PC. Even putting a Radiance class ship to replace Majesty will result in fewer passengers, thereby leaving a Voyager class ship as a better choice. Marketing will play a part in their decision I am sure. Putting a Voyager class ship with a much larger capacity in close proximity to two large airports to attract more cruisers will be advantageous. Putting a Voyager class ship in PC to replace Enchantment, if Enchantment replaced Majesty it is still relying on an airport that doesn't have the draw that Miami or Fort Lauderdale have.

We are looking to take our 11th cruise on Her Majesty this coming Thanksgiving, if we can. Years ago, right after Monarch's retirement to Pullmantr, discussion at a C&A event was about the future of Her Majesty. Back then, it was mentioned that Navigator would replace her......I believe that until there is more concrete news to the contrary, there is no reason for me to doubt that original mention is correct....perhaps it won't be Navigator but another Voyager class.

Enchantment is the only ship in the Vision class that has a passenger capacity close to Majesty .... and if that is moved into replacing Majesty, something has to replace Enchantment in PC. Even putting a Radiance class ship to replace Majesty will result in fewer passengers, thereby leaving a Voyager class ship as a better choice. Marketing will play a part in their decision I am sure. Putting a Voyager class ship with a much larger capacity in close proximity to two large airports to attract more cruisers will be advantageous. Putting a Voyager class ship in PC to replace Enchantment, if Enchantment replaced Majesty it is still relying on an airport that doesn't have the draw that Miami or Fort Lauderdale have.

We are looking to take our 11th cruise on Her Majesty this coming Thanksgiving, if we can. Years ago, right after Monarch's retirement to Pullmantr, discussion at a C&A event was about the future of Her Majesty. Back then, it was mentioned that Navigator would replace her......I believe that until there is more concrete news to the contrary, there is no reason for me to doubt that original mention is correct....perhaps it won't be Navigator but another Voyager class.

Navigator would be my choice. with all the new recent additions it will blow the competition right out of the water.

Floridians who cruise on Her Majesty, do just like others....book beforehand, and don't necessarily wait for a final price drop right before a sailing.

I have never booked Majesty more than 1 month prior to sailing. One thing I've noticed on all my Majesty sailings is, there was always plenty of availability right up until about 2 weeks prior. Lots of rooms sell in those final 2 weeks and I think its safe to say, it's mostly Floridians. I've booked deck 9 SOs for as low as $149 and I've seen interiors as low as $89.

Navigator would be nice, but I think they have a winner with it in Galveston. As an earlier poster mentioned, I agree that IF they did deploy a Voyager class ship, it would be one of the earlier ones. It would draw more customers like me from Central Florida to Miami to go an an awesome ship. After all, we have to remember that the Voyager class is aging. Voyager is 15 years old!

Navigator would be nice, but I think they have a winner with it in Galveston. As an earlier poster mentioned, I agree that IF they did deploy a Voyager class ship, it would be one of the earlier ones. It would draw more customers like me from Central Florida to Miami to go an an awesome ship. After all, we have to remember that the Voyager class is aging. Voyager is 15 years old!

Carnival is putting 3 ships out of Texas now and running some unique itineraries, I THINK, including partial canal transits, something Voyager class simply can not do. RCI will be stuck doing the "same old, same old" out of Texas. I don't know what ships they would put to replace Navigator in Texas, but Navigator would be a great replacement for Majesty and as others said it would just blow away the competition. NCL, Carnival, and Princess (out of Fort Lauderdale) have nothing that compares to Navigator for a short run.

It will be interesting to see what develops over the next two years.

Carnival is putting 3 ships out of Texas now and running some unique itineraries, I THINK, including partial canal transits, something Voyager class simply can not do. RCI will be stuck doing the "same old, same old" out of Texas. I don't know what ships they would put to replace Navigator in Texas, but Navigator would be a great replacement for Majesty and as others said it would just blow away the competition. NCL, Carnival, and Princess (out of Fort Lauderdale) have nothing that compares to Navigator for a short run.

It will be interesting to see what develops over the next two years.

Liberty is replacing Navigator in Galveston. No word on any other ships going to Texas. I think Liberty will be too big for Panama Canal

Liberty is replacing Navigator in Galveston. No word on any other ships going to Texas. I think Liberty will be too big for Panama Canal

Both Navigator and Liberty are too big for the current Panama Canal. There's been talk that they will still be too tall for the Bridge of the Americas, even when the lock expansion is completed. But they will be able to do partial transits after the lock expansion.

What will Carnival have to compete with Navigator? Ecstasy.

NCL? Sky.

They are both older ships with no where near the number of activities that navigator has. This could be a huge money maker for Royal.

I would love to see a Voyager class replace Majesty in Miami. I personally am not a huge fan of Vision class, even the re-done Enchantment. But I'm not holding my breath. I still don't think they can attract those numbers week in/week out for the short cruise market, with 2 other ships that will be priced lower competing head to head. But I certainly won't be complaining if I'm wrong. :)

But for everyone "plugged in" - is there any word on any sort of dry dock for MJ coming up?

I would love to see a Voyager class replace Majesty in Miami. I personally am not a huge fan of Vision class, even the re-done Enchantment. But I'm not holding my breath. I still don't think they can attract those numbers week in/week out for the short cruise market, with 2 other ships that will be priced lower competing head to head. But I certainly won't be complaining if I'm wrong. :)

But for everyone "plugged in" - is there any word on any sort of dry dock for MJ coming up?

Royal will do a good deal of market surveying I am sure to get a sense of what kind of reach the 3/4 day marketplace will have for a bigger ship. Just putting 'another ship' in Majesty's place that does not have a lot of the bells and whistles of other ships won't work. If they truly want to WOW cruisers, even on a short itinerary, and represent their line/brand well, it will mean a major change.

The customers are out there.....just maybe they would be very interested in a short cruise with LOTS MORE TO DO ON IT, than Her Majesty has to offer.

The customers are out there.....just maybe they would be very interested in a short cruise with LOTS MORE TO DO ON IT, than Her Majesty has to offer.

Maybe the 3 day market is happy with what Majesty has to offer. It's really just 2.5 days of time to do stuff and many just want to eat, drink and get to Coco Cay over a weekend trip.

On the 4 day, that's different, seems like bigger ship could be good but Key West is a big draw, I'd think, on Majesty 4 night. Not being able to get there would be a loss so ideally a ship that can go to Key West on an itinerary that doesn't cause delays leaving the ship, would be preferable. Even Floridians find cruising to Key West on Majesty easier than doing the drive.

The lack of regular balcony cabins might be one of the biggest drawbacks to Majesty and where the newer ships could make some more $.

Maybe the 3 day market is happy with what Majesty has to offer. It's really just 2.5 days of time to do stuff and many just want to eat, drink and get to Coco Cay over a weekend trip.

On the 4 day, that's different, seems like bigger ship could be good but Key West is a big draw, I'd think, on Majesty 4 night. Not being able to get there would be a loss so ideally a ship that can go to Key West on an itinerary that doesn't cause delays leaving the ship, would be preferable. Even Floridians find cruising to Key West on Majesty easier than doing the drive.

The lack of regular balcony cabins might be one of the biggest drawbacks to Majesty and where the newer ships could make some more $.

Well the 3 day market partners with the 4 day itinerary....and I don't believe Royal would do away with the 3 day option for cruisers and offer a 5/5/4 to run over a two week period. They would lose the 'weekend getaway' people, and there money. Key West is a nice draw for people for whatever reason they have.....and yes, it is nicer to cruise there than drive, as a S. Floridian.

Not everyone gets off in CocoCay or Nassau for that matter on the short weekender, so giving them more things to do on board, will be a nice offering; Same thing for the 4 day itinerary.....not everyone gets off, because not everyone likes tendering and you have to tender to CocoCay.

It would also give more options for people when the ship due to bad seas can't tender at all into CocoCay.

At then end of the discussion, there will come a time when it there will be a 'Majesty Retirement Party' -- for many reasons, her time will have past. One good reason is that the brand they are marketing is different, and Royal needs to be consistent among their brand.

If Mariner did, in fact, do a dry run to Key West, and it worked, then perhaps they are thinking about Voyager class options. (still doubting it will happen though).

I've lived in South Florida for 10 years, and I have only ever been to Key West on a cruise ship. The idea of that drive has always been a turn off.

If Mariner did, in fact, do a dry run to Key West, and it worked, then perhaps they are thinking about Voyager class options. (still doubting it will happen though)....

That's what I was thinking, because they have to move up to a Voyager class to cover the passenger capacity they have had on Monarch/Majesty/Enchantment.

If Mariner did, in fact, do a dry run to Key West, and it worked, then perhaps they are thinking about Voyager class options. (still doubting it will happen though).

I've lived in South Florida for 10 years, and I have only ever been to Key West on a cruise ship. The idea of that drive has always been a turn off.

That's what I was thinking, because they have to move up to a Voyager class to cover the passenger capacity they have had on Monarch/Majesty/Enchantment.

I also have lived in S. Florida for 11 years. We drove to the upper Keys once and swore never again....all our trips to Key West have been on a cruise ship as well.

At some time they will have to change the deployment of ships and the concept by some that the 3/4 day itineraries don't have a marketplace for the larger ships, is foolish.......I always remember the line, "If they build it, they will come". In this case it is just deploy one you already have, market it more, and it will have its passengers and joyfully....with nicer accommodations and more activities to do.

BTW, I love cruising Her Majesty, but people like me and DH are a dying breed.....people want nicer, bigger cabins and more activities.

BTW, I love cruising Her Majesty, but people like me and DH are a dying breed.....people want nicer, bigger cabins and more activities.

But the $1 million question is are they willing to pay for it on a 3-4 night itinerary. Balconies and all the other bells and whistles are certainly great but is is going to be worth the upcharge on a short, port intensive cruise to enough customers.

Majesty may be aging but it hits a sweet spot for those short cruises where passenger capacity makes up for the lack up upcharge options for Royal.

Edited by aurelius180

I've lived in South Florida for over 20 years. I've done the drive to Key West many times. While I'll admit the drive is a beautiful drive. It's a very long drive, I'd much rather do a cruise to Key West.

There's going to be a day when RC is going to have to retire the smaller ships in the fleet. I wonder whats going to happen with these ports that can accommodate larger ships.

We have always wanted to go to Key West, but it is a long drive and Key West Express is expensive for what it is. That is why we are even considering Majesty for a short trip sometime. The only problem is the 4-5 hour drive from St. Pete to Miami.

We have always wanted to go to Key West, but it is a long drive and Key West Express is expensive for what it is. That is why we are even considering Majesty for a short trip sometime. The only problem is the 4-5 hour drive from St. Pete to Miami.

Radiance Class has been cruising out of Tampa with stops in Key West for a few years now during the winter season. I don't know what this winter looks like, but I think that would be a better option for you.

The thing is, we don't know what RCI thought of the main ship channel going into Key West when they brought in Mariner. There is one cut that is very narrow and has been the topic of controversy lately down here whether or not to widen it. Carnival decided the risk was worth it and has been regulary visiting Key West with Dream Class. It's possible RCI decided the risk wasn't worth it. But time will tell.

But the $1 million question is are they willing to pay for it on a 3-4 night itinerary. Balconies and all the other bells and whistles are certainly great but is is going to be worth the upcharge on a short, port intensive cruise to enough customers.

Majesty may be aging but it hits a sweet spot for those short cruises where passenger capacity makes up for the lack up upcharge options for Royal.

In truth, yes they will....if they want the entertainment and activities that Royal is famous for offering, simply put -- they will.

Radiance Class has been cruising out of Tampa with stops in Key West for a few years now during the winter season. I don't know what this winter looks like, but I think that would be a better option for you.

There are no 3 day cruises out of Tampa and the 4 day cruises only go to Cozumel. You have to go all the way up to a 5-day to get anywhere, and by then you might as well go on a 7-day since you have to take a whole week off of work anyway.

I would LOVE to see some newer ships on the 3-day Bahamas itineraries. True, you're not on the ship that much (assuming you make it to Coco Cay, which is not guaranteed). But larger cabins and some specialty restaurants for dinner would be great.

There are no 3 day cruises out of Tampa and the 4 day cruises only go to Cozumel. You have to go all the way up to a 5-day to get anywhere, and by then you might as well go on a 7-day since you have to take a whole week off of work anyway.

Understood, but it's only a 1 day difference because it's the 4 nighter that goes to Key West from Miami, not the 3 nighter...and that 4 nighter is Monday through Friday. I'd rather do a 5 nighter than encompasses the weekend rather than a 4 nighter that is Mon-Fri. To me, that 4 nighter would be better substituted for a 7 night cruise.

To me, that 4 nighter would be better substituted for a 7 night cruise.

Same here, have don't many 3 night cruises and would consider an 4 night Majesty itinerary Thurs-Mon for two days off work........ but not Mon-Fri cruise.

Perhaps the target for those 4 night cruises are retirees or cruisers, sometimes international, that want some land based vacation time in Miami. They look at hotel rates and decide a 4 night cruise great idea for their 7-8 day vacation to SoFL.

I would LOVE to see some newer ships on the 3-day Bahamas itineraries. True, you're not on the ship that much (assuming you make it to Coco Cay, which is not guaranteed). But larger cabins and some specialty restaurants for dinner would be great.

I sometimes think (not saying you) that some people feel that cruisers on the 3/4 day Bahama itineraries don't deserve the newer ships and what they have to offer......I would love to have them on that route. It would make my weekend getaways have more to do on the ship at least.