Off-Duty Crew in Passenger Bars

gtalum

Havent posted in a while but this really really aggravates me....Both of my children work for a major theme park. They are given admission privleges when they are not working. Should they not be able to go because you may have to wait in line behind them?? They work their tails off making exceptional guest experiences all day and/or night for literally thousands of guests. I think they should be afforded the privlege of being able to participate in the guest side of the experience to make them more aware of what guests see and observe. Only makes them better at their respective jobs.

This is just ridiculous. The ship is the Crew's ENTIRE world!! What would you suggest they do during their time off??? This crew that offends you so work long hours with very little time off. I think they should be able to partake in on board activities during time off. Whether I have to wait behind them or not. Some of you really sound like elitist snobs. First World problems people!!!!

On our past April cruise a group of 5 or 6 crew members were watching a new show in the main theater right behind us in the balcony. They laughed at times that weren't meat to be funny - like they where laughing at the performer's attempt to do a number. Rather like rude teenagers.

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

Obviously, the people who don't mind it far outnumber the one or two who do.

No matter what the issue, there are always one or two who complain. It's just the way of the world. And having screen names and being incognito makes it so much easier to be mean and negative with no one knowing who it really is.

Que sera sera

On our past April cruise a group of 5 or 6 crew members were watching a new show in the main theater right behind us in the balcony. They laughed at times that weren't meat to be funny - like they where laughing at the performer's attempt to do a number. Rather like rude teenagers.

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

This really doesn't have anything to do with the fact that they were crew, ... does it?

Have you ever watched someone you know do something, and found it funny, just because you know the person? They may not have been being rude at all, just laughing at friends. Very possibly kidding them about it later.

Who knows?

I work in a very high-end day spa in Las Vegas, and as an employee I am allowed to use the facilities, take classes offered to guests, and receive services at a discount right alongside our guests. Of course, if the facility is busy we are asked to be courteous and yield to the guest.

I would hope that none of our guests feel about me the way some of these posters feel about Carnival employees. I wouldn't want them to think I was "mingling" inappropriately.

Then I wonder if the same posters would feel the same about me if they knew we were cruising together. If you look down upon me because I'm an employee in the spa you visit, would you feel the same when we're both paying guests aboard the cruise? That is, if you knew...

:(

I dont understand why anyone would look down on a person who is a contributing member of society.

Maybe Carnival needs to allow their crew to wear "street clothes" when off the clock. No one would be the wiser.

That could be problematic.

One (1), all ship employees have basic training in first aid and disaster rescue. While they don't do their official work off the clock, when push comes to shove, they're required to assist passengers in need. The only way for passengers to clearly know who direct their questions to, is for the crew to stand out with uniforms and/or name tags.

Two (2), passengers aren't stupid. On longer cruises especially, they will eventually start recognizing the crew by their faces, especially the ones they see every day. So hiding the off-duty crew members in "civilian" clothes becomes pointless. Might as well let them stand out, for reasons illustrated in #1 and #3.

Three (3), standing out clothes-wise helps both parties respect the passenger/crew boundaries. Consider the dancing scenario in earlier posts. Let's say an off-duty staff member in civilian clothes and a passenger dance together, and for one reason or another (alcohol, physical attraction, etc.), they go too far. Imagine the awkwardness when they see each other while the staff member is working. Not to mention the policy violation, inadvertent or not.

Edited by LandlockedCruiser01

Am I the only one that finds the caste system within the cruise line offensive? As I stated before, if I were a Carnival employee I would likely hide from passengers every opportunity that I got, BUT, for those who do choose to mingle with pax, why should crew be excluded? I find that infinitely more troubling than any interaction between staff and passengers.

It seems to me as if the cruise lines themselves help to create the pompous outlook that some passengers have.

First of all I could care less if the crew is in the "guest" areas. I would have more fun if they were allowed to gamble too.

With that said I do think it should be a two way street. If they can hang out in the "guest" areas then I should be allowed to hang out in the crew bar, I am just saying. :D I want to have 50 cent beers on board. :)

As you can see in my signature, I have only cruised on whole ship gay charters. One of the most spectacular side "effects" of these cruises is that the crew gets a bit of a vacation when working our cruises. The workload on crew is somewhat lighter on ours because there are no children and everything is relaxed including having open seating dining and relaxed dress codes. All of the crew are usually allowed to watch the last pool deck dance party from the deck above and there is really no restriction on the passengers mingling with them on that deck during our famous Atlantis White Parties. One cruise, my friends and I went up on that deck to escape the crowd and were bombarded with crew wanting to take pics of our costumes (we were white Spartans complete with twinkle lights in the feathered crests on our helmets LOL). On my last Atlantis cruise, it was rather funny that one of the buffet table servers that my friends and I had chatted with throughout the week, was on duty the morning after the White Party visibly a bit tired from the party, but smiling ear to ear. She was so grateful to have been allowed to enjoy herself with her onboard friends without worrying about being busted for fraternizing. It always makes me appreciate that our cruise gives the crew a little break from the regimented life that they must lead on the other cruises and you can see it in their faces and attitudes throughout the cruise.

Good GRIEF!!!! Wouldn't you like to buy some people for what they're worth and sell them for what they think they're worth?!?!? :eek:

I have absolutely no problem with any crew member enjoying themself in "passenger" areas. Most times I'd rather be around them than some of the selfrighteous passengers.

I love this line ......*LOL*

Yea there are a few people I know that I could make one hell of a profit if we could do that *LOL*

Doesn't bother me at all, as much as they have their own areas I am sure the fresh faces and change of scenery cheers them up in passenger areas. I would get tired of drinking with the same people in the crew bar as well....especially if there were some relationships that had broken down below decks.

I do think however that all crew should be allowed and so the ship isnt overcrowded maybe rota who can be up on crew decks? Thats a hard one to do I guess with 1500+ crew on board at any one time.

Most of the staff floating about were really lovely when they wer eoff duty or not. JH's asst Calvyn was always at the lido buffet for some reason but I did encounter an officer being a bit flirty and cheesy.....yuk. Although thats a cocky male thing and not a crew thing.

This is ridiculous. It is the time to talk to them and ask questions on life on board. And to get to know the people who makes your cruise and vacation a delite.... Some people really do have their noses up there and think that they are beneath them..... Hey! It might come as a surprise but they are people.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

You know that people complain about everything. Read some of the tipping threads about how they consider these people servants etc...

Shame on anyone that would say that!!!! Many of them work very hard and if they take good care of you, they should be given a little extra in my opinion! But there are some very mean/negative people in this world we live in.:(

As long as a venue is not busy, I don't see a problem with the crew using it. If it becomes busy (not just full tables but also a lot of people to serve), the crew should leave and find a venue that is not so busy.

Having said that, I will never forget our experience in the night club on Princess. It was "crew night out" and they were hanging in the night club, hitting on the other passengers (they went up to the passengers, not vice versa). It was disgusting.

I have a good friend that have not been in touch with for a few years but for 15 years we spoke cruise, all the inaugurals etc. and I got to see the TA industry with her on a Star Princess inaugural and another cruise we just took together...much younger both of us and she is 16 years my senior and will be a TA until she goes...she has incredible travel and people stamina and really built it taking lots of groups and having an agency with the right person for a decade...until he unfortunately passed. I was the lucky gal to take his place when on that inaugural cruise; she needed someone not in the industry who knew nothing and could not "slip' with any "issues".

The first night of my Paradise cruise the mid age singles female friends walking around with their noses in the air like they were divas on the QE 2 in 1950 and then getting drunk with crew members in the bar and dancing inappropriately...OMG. Then all the stories my friend had to share with me on behavior of the groups..one or two on you name the cruise level...LOL. Then all the TA back biting and poor behavior getting their perks...her employees and others.

We are the independent group that like to figure it all out ourselves, ( part of our fallout)..and most of us love the mingling...me too.

But there are some big issues that keep some rules on this...and not so much what consenting adults do as..manning the ship for all problems..is why I hope this is in place...

But no snobbishness here, I loved meeting people at any level...unless they were hassling me flirtatiously (sp). The room steward did at opening of the favorite Paradise cruise but got the message...now close to the double nickles... that is over..LOL.

But the whole deal of out of control opposite sex guests and staff is a big part of it I think..either way....and at any level. The stories were unbelievable and I really miss our phone calls...say a good thought for old friends out there.

Edited by sjn911

I was on the same cruise as the complainer and I'm pretty sure I know who it was. He was a complainer from the start of the cruise to the end of the cruise. Every time I saw him on board he was complaining to either the Maître' de or one of the bar tenders. It was almost comical

I could care less where they go on the ship as long as they are not taking from the customers' space. I doubt I would even recognize who is or is not crew if they are not in uniform!

I also don't think they are on the ship to cater to me and serve me either. I don't leave a mess in my room and even make my own bed. They have enough to do without picking up behind inconsiderate slobs, excuse me, people. Ha! They have a job to do and I try and make it as easy as possible for them, no matter what their job is on the ship.

So, the ship is their home and life for months on end. I see nothing wrong with them having the opportunity at times to experience the ship life as we do. I am quite sure there are strict criteria/rules that must be followed.

To the person who complained, get over yourself! :rolleyes:

deb