Private Tours In St. Kitts?

EMTcruiser91

Hi there! Going to St. Kitts on the Carnival Breeze. Was wondering if you knew a good private tours or companys, and whats the best to do here?

Thanks in Advance!

You will see a number of "crowd favorites" mentioned in earlier posts on this board. We liked how Royston sounded, with his open-air van and slightly on-the-wild-side driving (like driving along the water's edge and across fields), did our research on here and on other travel review sites, and booked with him via e-mail. Payment was made at the end of the tour, and we were pleased enough that we paid him more than his asking price (or tipped heavily, however you'd care to view it).

Most of the full island tours will hit the highlights: downtown/square, churches, coastline views, Brimstone Fortress, Romney Manor and batik "factory," cliffs, a little rainforest, and a beach (there are other miscellaneous sights as well). We liked that Royston provided information about the history, culture, politics, business, etc., and stopped off to show us little things that might be missed on the larger tours, like early pictographs drawn on stones by the original island natives. He also had a cooler full of Carib beer, local sodas, and water, and picked up a small lunch that we ate on the beach. He provided some first aid supplies we needed, beach chairs and umbrellas, and snorkel gear. The entrance fees were included in the price of the tour, and Royston tipped staff/performers on our behalf. Toward the end his tour got a little long, I think because he is so excited to show you every bit of "his" island. All in all, it was a great, memorable day, we got excellent photos, and were back to the ship in plenty of time.

In these threads you will find similarly enthusiastic reviews of other St. Kitt's tour operators as well. The one thing I would say it that it is not a particularly great beach island. It's more about the culture, the attractions, and the gorgeous views, especially from the fortress. There's some good food, too!

We used Mr Grey and were very satisfied and would use them again. Their website is under www dot thenfordgrey dot com.

http://www.tripadvisor.com/Attraction_Review-g147375-d1639418-Reviews-Grey_s_Island_Excursions-Basseterre_St_Kitts_St_Kitts_and_Nevis.html

Edited by Life is Good Cruising

We used Pereira last week and would not recommend!

It would be helpful if you'll share why you wouldn't recommend Pereira. I've read the positive things but always interested in what didn't work right for others.

It would be helpful if you'll share why you wouldn't recommend Pereira. I've read the positive things but always interested in what didn't work right for others.

I was referred to Liz. I Was looking for horseback riding and informed horseback riding on the beach wasn't available in the summer only in the rainforest. It was my husband, myself our two sons & our oldest son's girlfriend. Liz was very personable via email and answered all my questions. She met us at the dock and said we were getting a ride to the beach. I told her I thought it was the rainforest and she said oh I'm sorry someone else is doing the beach. (I was under the impression beach wasn't an option) never the less we were joined by a young woman from Switzerland and led to our ride to the stable. We rode in the back of a pick up to the horses. The young lady from Switzerland sat in the cab with the driver. During the ride the views were beautiful however at one point my 7 year old asked to stop he felt like he was falling ...I asked Anthony to stop he basically told me he has done this for 24 years and knows what he is doing. I rode next to my son and reached over to make sure he was ok. At the top he took us for a short walk to a tree to take pictures ..he told the girl from Switzerland to go up and he would take her picture she did but he gave the camera to the other guide and he followed her up the tree and put his arms around her she said OH NO and pushed his hand off her....there were other uncomfortable situations...she stayed close to me the rest of the trip down the mountain he also asked my son's girlfriend if she was alone...when we returned to the home the poor girl from Switzerland had to use the restroom and asked me to go into the bathroom with her she was so uncomfortable. The guide asked if we had money for him (tip). My husband is a police officer and had we not been in the middle of nowhere we would have had words with the guide. The young girl rode back to the port in the back of the pick up with us. The driver from the stable was a sweetheart and made sure we got to Johnathan who drove us to the beach. While enroute to the beach Liz kept calling Jonathan's cell phone non-stop! More than 5 times it was ridiculous. I don't know how Jonathan deals with it. We were told once we got to Raggae beach bar we would have chairs reserved and a free drink. No one knew about any chairs and we were so unhappy with our experience we weren't going to worry about finding the drink. We swam and made the most of our beach-time. Jonathan picked us up and drove us back to the port and Liz kept calling him again over and over he had to stop somewhere else to pick up more people. My husband insisted that I write this review. We will not use this tour if in St Kitts again.....I posted this on trip advisor

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Edited by Kristina2014

You will see a number of "crowd favorites" mentioned in earlier posts on this board. We liked how Royston sounded, with his open-air van and slightly on-the-wild-side driving (like driving along the water's edge and across fields), did our research on here and on other travel review sites, and booked with him via e-mail. Payment was made at the end of the tour, and we were pleased enough that we paid him more than his asking price (or tipped heavily, however you'd care to view it).

I hope you don't mind but I have a couple questions. First, you said 'open air van'. The pictures on Royston's website look like the regular tour vans. Is that what you are referring to? Also, about how many people were on the tour with you?

Thanx

Erika

I hope you don't mind but I have a couple questions. First, you said 'open air van'. The pictures on Royston's website look like the regular tour vans. Is that what you are referring to? Also, about how many people were on the tour with you?

Thanx

Erika

Royston drives a Toyota passenger van with the side windows popped out, so you can hang out and take pictures. His cousin drives another tour that uses a regular tour van that is closed and air conditioned. Our tour in the van with Royston was 6 people, but it might be possible to seat 8 or 9 adults. There were three bench-type seats for passengers, and I think the front passenger seat had the cooler on it so Royston could reach the beer (for us, not for him :))

In March of this year we did the Royston open air van trip with my husband. We LOVED it and would highly recommend it to others who are a bit adventuresome.

We specifically asked for Royston and the windowless van. We were always comfortable with the breeze.

There was only one other couple with us that day. The third couple that had booked did a no-show (I really don't get how inconsiderate some people can be :rolleyes:).

Our only disappointment is we would have liked to spend more time at the beach (we had about 50 minutes) but this was because the other couple wanted to go back to the ship. Royston offered to take them and come back for us but we thought this was not fair to him as he'd already lost out on 2 tours that day, we didn't want him driving more than needed.

Royston is not a water or beach person himself so it is not his priority to spend a lot of time there and towards the end of the tour I would have skipped a few stops to get to the beach a bit earlier. I'm mentioning this so that if 'beach-time' is a big priority, you can make sure this is clear with him from the beginning.

In March of this year we did the Royston open air van trip with my husband. We LOVED it and would highly recommend it to others who are a bit adventuresome.

We specifically asked for Royston and the windowless van. We were always comfortable with the breeze.

There was only one other couple with us that day. The third couple that had booked did a no-show (I really don't get how inconsiderate some people can be :rolleyes:).

Our only disappointment is we would have liked to spend more time at the beach (we had about 50 minutes) but this was because the other couple wanted to go back to the ship. Royston offered to take them and come back for us but we thought this was not fair to him as he'd already lost out on 2 tours that day, we didn't want him driving more than needed.

Royston is not a water or beach person himself so it is not his priority to spend a lot of time there and towards the end of the tour I would have skipped a few stops to get to the beach a bit earlier. I'm mentioning this so that if 'beach-time' is a big priority, you can make sure this is clear with him from the beginning.

I would second this recommendation, about emphasizing beach time if you want that on your tour. We did enjoy ours, but there was a lot of driving around that we might have opted to substitute with beach time.

We've gone with Javin twice. EXCELLENT choice if you want a more adventurous tour. Black rocks, Rain forest, snorkel and beach. I could go on and on but it was far the best tour we have ever been on.

myislandtours . shutterfly . com

If you are looking for some sort of active/adventure tour (he goes at whatever pace you set) then Javin is your man. Not only do you get a private tour but you get a unique one as well. Your able to get a personal authentic taste of the island with him. From what I've seen from the other tours nobody goes to the places or provides the opportunities to experience more that st. Kitts has to offer than he does. And he is very personable as well.

If you are looking for some sort of active/adventure tour (he goes at whatever pace you set) then Javin is your man. Not only do you get a private tour but you get a unique one as well. Your able to get a personal authentic taste of the island with him. From what I've seen from the other tours nobody goes to the places or provides the opportunities to experience more that st. Kitts has to offer than he does. And he is very personable as well.

I would like to know how to contact Javin to book a tour in October. Thanks!

What are the costs of the Royston Tour and The Jarvin Tour? How many hours did you get with them? Thanks!

Price for the Royston tour was $45, which included lunch, admission to attractions, water, soda and beer, and he even tipped other locals (on our behalf) who provided entertainment or services. Timing was at least 6 hours, possibly more. We all tipped heavily on top of the asking price because we felt it was well worth it.

Help~~ i need your advice. Having looked into many of the tour operators i've come up with either Beulah from Welcome Tours or Thenford Grey.

Beulah just phoned me this AM from her vacation in the UK. She sounds wonderful and very accommodating, but so does Thenford Grey through his emails.

So my question is has anyone toured with either of these people and what was their experience? This will also be a private tour and Thenford was about $40 more pp.

I appreciate any help you can give me

Thank you