Alcohol Package on Princess ships

dne698

My husband and I are taking our adult children on a family cruise in December on the Regal Princess. I have been reading info on the Princess web site regarding the alcohol package available for purchase. On the web site it states that if one person in a stateroom purchases the alcohol package then the other person is also required to purchase it too. This is a concern as not all members of our party want to purchase this package. I contacted a rep at Princess who said that they have changed this policy and no longer require everyone in the same stateroom to purchase the package if 1 person does. I am a little skeptical after reading some posts as people have said that what the rep says isn't always what is actually true once you get on board. Has anyone recently purchased the alcohol package who can verify for me that not all passengers in the same stateroom are required to purchase it.

Thanks, any info would be appreciated!!

My husband and I are taking our adult children on a family cruise in December on the Regal Princess. I have been reading info on the Princess web site regarding the alcohol package available for purchase. On the web site it states that if one person in a stateroom purchases the alcohol package then the other person is also required to purchase it too.
Not sure where you read that but it's not true nor is it anywhere on the Princess website that I could find. When the package was being trialed on the Sapphire and Star Princess, every adult in the cabin was required to purchase the package. However, when it was launched fleetwide, that requirement was not included.

Here's what it says on the Princess website:

"Take advantage of our All-Inclusive Beverage Package which includes any individual beverage item, such as soda, water, cocktails, spirits, wines, beers, coffee and tea, up to $10 (retail value). Bottles of wine are NOT included in the package; however, when purchased in the bars, dining rooms, or in the stateroom, will be available at a 40% discount from the menu price. Applicable to all bottles below $100 retail. Note: This package is available for consumption at all bars, public areas and dining venues (not room service and excludes mini bar items).

Package is not currently offered on Dawn, Sea and Sun Princess."

http://www.princess.com/learn/onboard/gifts_services/cellars_culinarydelights/princess_cellars/index.jsp

As always when something is unlimited, it's not shareable.

Edited by Pam in CA

I just copied this from the princess web site, and it does state that each passenger in the cabin has to buy the package.

3. Drinks - as many as you like (All-inclusive Beverage Package)

Available at a rate of $ 49.00 per person, per day, plus service charges of 15% independent of the duration of your cruise

The package must be purchased for the entire cruise and each passenger in a cabin has to buy the package.

I just copied this from the princess web site, and it does state that each passenger in the cabin has to buy the package.

3. Drinks - as many as you like (All-inclusive Beverage Package)

Available at a rate of $ 49.00 per person, per day, plus service charges of 15% independent of the duration of your cruise

The package must be purchased for the entire cruise and each passenger in a cabin has to buy the package.

Given that your location says you're in Wisconsin, I'm not sure why you're looking at France's Princess web site? (http://www.princesscruises.fr/en/holiday-princess/dining-options/beverage-packages/671628)

But yes, that is outdated. And there's nothing on the US Princess.com site that indicates this restriction, which as others have noted, only existed for a short time during the test phase.

Does anyone know about the drinks packages not being offered on sailing to Australia or Asia? I rang Princess today to also check about whether both people on the stateroom had to order the package and was told that it was not available on my cruise as we were cruising from Singapore to Australia. we are cruising on the Diamond Princess. They told me it was because of Australian Licensing laws - which is strange as other cruise lines allow it.

Not sure where you read that but it's not true nor is it anywhere on the Princess website that I could find. When the package was being trialed on the Sapphire and Star Princess, every adult in the cabin was required to purchase the package. However, when it was launched fleetwide, that requirement was not included.

Here's what it says on the Princess website:

"Take advantage of our All-Inclusive Beverage Package which includes any individual beverage item, such as soda, water, cocktails, spirits, wines, beers, coffee and tea, up to $10 (retail value). Bottles of wine are NOT included in the package; however, when purchased in the bars, dining rooms, or in the stateroom, will be available at a 40% discount from the menu price. Applicable to all bottles below $100 retail. Note: This package is available for consumption at all bars, public areas and dining venues (not room service and excludes mini bar items).

Package is not currently offered on Dawn, Sea and Sun Princess."

http://www.princess.com/learn/onboard/gifts_services/cellars_culinarydelights/princess_cellars/index.jsp

As always when something is unlimited, it's not shareable.

To add to the confusion on this topic, there seems to be a discrepancy between what Pam in CA has linked to on the Princess website which states as she says above. HOWEVER, when you download the form to submit to Princess, for this package (#0525), it is asterisked to note that the package is not offered on the previously stated 3 ships as well as Golden, Ocean, Pacific & Regal Princess. I think from what I've read, that Regal is at least in error as the package is now offered, but how about the others? We're sailing in October on Ocean Princess and would certainly love to have the option to buy the drink package as it offers huge savings on bottles of wine which are always offered at exorbitant markups. Does anyone have any recent experience on Ocean?

To add to the confusion on this topic, there seems to be a discrepancy between what Pam in CA has linked to on the Princess website which states as she says above. HOWEVER, when you download the form to submit to Princess, for this package (#0525), it is asterisked to note that the package is not offered on the previously stated 3 ships as well as Golden, Ocean, Pacific & Regal Princess. I think from what I've read, that Regal is at least in error as the package is now offered, but how about the others? We're sailing in October on Ocean Princess and would certainly love to have the option to buy the drink package as it offers huge savings on bottles of wine which are always offered at exorbitant markups. Does anyone have any recent experience on Ocean?

Unfortunately the form hasn't caught up with the current policy. :rolleyes: It is available on the Ocean, Golden, Pacific and Regal.

BTW, come join our teeny tiny Roll Call. :D

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1808327

Does anyone know about the drinks packages not being offered on sailing to Australia or Asia? I rang Princess today to also check about whether both people on the stateroom had to order the package and was told that it was not available on my cruise as we were cruising from Singapore to Australia. we are cruising on the Diamond Princess. They told me it was because of Australian Licensing laws - which is strange as other cruise lines allow it.

So I rang princess again and get a different answer this time - yes the package is available but should buy it now as it is not always offered on board. I was told that if they sell lots of packages pre cruise then sometimes the decision is made not to offer it onboard - has anyone heard of this before?

So I rang princess again and get a different answer this time - yes the package is available but should buy it now as it is not always offered on board. I was told that if they sell lots of packages pre cruise then sometimes the decision is made not to offer it onboard - has anyone heard of this before?

If its not available onboard it won't be available pre cruise either.

Edited by Colo Cruiser

This might be a very stupid question - but wouldn't a person need to drink a bunch of alcohol to consume $56 worth each day? Someone convince me that this is a good deal :D

Cole

This might be a very stupid question - but wouldn't a person need to drink a bunch of alcohol to consume $56 worth each day? Someone convince me that this is a good deal :D

Cole

Whether or not it's worth it is a personal decision. However, it's good for any drink costing $10 or less. This includes spirits, wine by the glass, beer, specialty coffees, soda, mocktails, bottled water and a few categories I'm probably missing. You can also use it to ge a 40% discount on any bottle of wine priced under $100.

Cole

when i put in 4 coffee's, 2orange juice, 2water, 1 can coke on beverage spread sheet is already sitting on $28 without any alcohol, won't take much to take it past $56.

Currently aboard the Golden (Alaska). I think the all inclusive package was the best decision we made! We purchased ours prior to departure. There was a mixup at check in and one of our stickers wasn't affixed to one of our cards...thus requiring a trip to the passenger services desk...it took them 20 minutes to sort this out...yeah, fun times...

Alcohol aside, this package saved us money. Not everyone in your cabin needs to purchase...only one person, but that only entitles that person to the package.

I routinely got multiple espresso drinks everyday, plus bottled water and juice. After pre dinner cocktails and glasses of wine at the dinner table, yes, we routinely exceeded the $56 per day!

I suspect Princess will wise up and offer multi tiered packages next season...as they lost money on me!! That's for sure. Lots of passengers took advantage if this too...and no, I'm not a boozer type of cruiser. I didn't see any intoxicated fools. It was a great trip.

I recommend you purchase this package. Cuts down on hassle.

Pricing has just gone up on wine and cocktails. Don't forget they add on the gratuity. When you purchase a specialty coffee at 3.50, you are paying 4.02. Martini's at 8.95, will be 10.29. Juice, 3.00 is 3.45. Premium water at 4.02 for an 11 oz bottle. Beer, 5.69.

My cruise is 10 nights. The cost for the package is 556. I totaled out the juice (9), Tea, (10), Water, (15), Soda, (5) Mocha Coffee (5)

and came up with 135.75.

Minus that from 556, leaving me to drink another 42 dollars per day. Yes, I like a Bloody Mary, or a FuFu drink, wine at dinner, a Martini. :D Many sea days. Still can't decide. :confused:

Edited by janetz

But...when you book you are charged for 8 days.that will include disembarking day of which we will not be drinking anything other then the routine drinks at breakfast...

No. That day is not included. :)

Cole

Especially the days you're gone for most of the day in port.....you'll have to drink extra that night to make up for lost time. :D:D

Cole

Not stupid, but certainly judgmental.