Bucket of Beer and Sand

Squirty27

How much is a bucket of beers? I see on posted Dailies that you can buy a bucket of beer and get the 6th free but it doesn't say how much it is.

If you have tried to bring sand back to the ship (no matter what beach) have you found that they have taken it from you? What about beach glass from the beach glass beach?

Myself and office mates always bring back sand from the beaches that we visit and give each other a sample. (very inexpensive souvenir). It is fun to compare them and see how different they are.

Thanks :-) Cruising out on the Breakaway on Sunday! First cruise. Woo-woo

The cost of a bucket depends on what beer you have, and how much it costs. You basically get the cheapest one free, but you can select pretty well whatever beer you want (except draught obviously).

As an idea though. I usually get Sam Adams (about 300ml bottles) which are $5.25, so a bucket is $26.25. That's all plus the 15% gratuity of course.

There is a spreadsheet posted on this forum. It is designed to calculate whether the UBP is worth it, but has the advantage of having the price of most drinks available onboard. That will give you the answer.

We have never had issues bringing a small container (a couple tablespoons) of sand back on the ship, as long as it was legal to take it from wherever we were. We also have a sand collection (82 tiny bottles now:)).

Beach glass (we call it sea glass) is a different issue altogether. In Bermuda (if that's where you are planning to go) the island itself has requested that sea glass not be removed from the beaches, and most cruise lines are abiding by their request and confiscating any they find when passengers return to the ship. With the end of ocean dumping and the institution of recycling programs, sea glass is a rare beauty, one that Bermuda wants to keep intact. I agree with their policy, we really miss it on our beaches...

Robin

Edited by Fishbait17

We have never had issues bringing a small container (a couple tablespoons) of sand back on the ship, as long as it was legal to take it from wherever we were. We also have a sand collection (82 tiny bottles now:)).

Beach glass (we call it sea glass) is a different issue altogether. In Bermuda (if that's where you are planning to go) the island itself has requested that sea glass not be removed from the beaches, and most cruise lines are abiding by their request and confiscating any they find when passengers return to the ship. With the end of ocean dumping and the institution of recycling programs, sea glass is a rare beauty, one that Bermuda wants to keep intact. I agree with their policy, we really miss it on our beaches...

Robin

Hi,

It is not "the Island" who asked to not remove the sea glass from the sea glass beach near the Dockyard. The sea glass beach is now ( since last year ) under the WEDCO management. It is them who have posted restrictions on the beach. There is sea glass on a few other beaches on the Island, and they have no restrictions on them.

I haven't read anything on the Bermuda board about sea glass being taken from passengers when getting back on the ship...

I know it's "to each their own", but calling sea glass a rare beauty...it's "only" broken glass that was dumped in the ocean and now washing up on shore... I guess it's not my thing :cool:

Have fun in Bermuda !

Edited by sebas030

Hi,

It is not "the Island" who asked to not remove the sea glass from the sea glass beach near the Dockyard. The sea glass beach is now ( since last year ) under the WEDCO management. It is them who have posted restrictions on the beach. There is sea glass on a few other beaches on the Island, and they are no restrictions on them.

I haven't read anything on the Bermuda board about sea glass being taken from passengers when getting back on the ship...

I know it's "to each their own", but calling sea glass a rare beauty...it's "only" broken glass that was dumped in the ocean and now washing up on shore... I guess it's not my thing :cool:

Have fun in Bermuda !

Hmmm, last summer there was a thread in the Bermuda forum with people comparing having their sea glass confiscated by the cruise lines. On our sailing, we saw another couple having theirs confiscated (they had a sandwich Baggie full). Maybe things have changed since then?

Exactly, to each his own. I mourn the loss of sea glass on our beaches. Most of the tons and tons collected over the years ended up in the garbage or in a box in someone's attic. I am not innocent of collection years ago either - I have a few jars on display still. But all the extra I collected over the years I threw back in the ocean several years ago.

Robin

Hmmm, last summer there was a thread in the Bermuda forum with people comparing having their sea glass confiscated by the cruise lines. On our sailing, we saw another couple having theirs confiscated (they had a sandwich Baggie full). Maybe things have changed since then?

Exactly, to each his own. I mourn the loss of sea glass on our beaches. Most of the tons and tons collected over the years ended up in the garbage or in a box in someone's attic. I am not innocent of collection years ago either - I have a few jars on display still. But all the extra I collected over the years I threw back in the ocean several years ago.

Robin

Hi Robin

Just wanted to say hi when's your next cruise?

Hi Robin

Just wanted to say hi when's your next cruise?

Nothing planned yet, we tend to book mostly last minute. Just beginning planning a huge wedding, a last minute engagement party, etc - but I found myself perusing the NCL website just last night lol.. Maybe something in early Autumn? I need to find out Adrian's schedule on the BA... Hehehe :D

Robin

Edited by Fishbait17

we collect sand and shells from every beach we visit and the only thing we ever had confiscated was a giant conch shell (due to possible organisms living inside of it). prob better off, no idea how we would have gotten it home.

Just off Breakaway a couple weeks ago. When getting back on the ship after our trips to the beaches we saw piles of soda bottles filled with pink Bermuda sand people had in their backpacks. They were all confiscated at the X-ray machine.

We bought the little bottles of the pink sand in the blue painted gift shop at the Dockyard. Had no problem bringing those onboard.

~Robin

Every Day at Sea is a Great Day

When we went to the glass beach, there were little bugs crawling under the sea glass. Much safer just to buy some in the stores( pink sand also), and sometimes stores give sea glass free. But the glass beach was unbelievable

Safe sailing

Thanks everyone. Will see how it goes with the sand. 82 bottles, wow!

I grew up on Lake Erie and have a bracelet made from "beach" glass.

Will try to get to Black Bay Beach. Only to look, though. I think I read that they sell beach glass creations at one of the stores at the dockyard.

4 days until we sail!

Thanks everyone. Will see how it goes with the sand. 82 bottles, wow!

I grew up on Lake Erie and have a bracelet made from "beach" glass.

Will try to get to Black Bay Beach. Only to look, though. I think I read that they sell beach glass creations at one of the stores at the dockyard.

4 days until we sail!

Wow, 4 days - you must be so excited, I know I would be!! Have a great cruise! :)

Robin

First, as someone who loves seaglass and makes jewelry, I'd love to find seaglass sometime on a cruise and make something with it! To buy really unique seaglass is very expensive! So I hope that they will let me bring some back whenever i finally do a bermuda cruise. As for the sand thing, just tuck a bunch in your shoes as a back up option!!!! then pour it into some bottle when you are back on the ship! :D

It was very cheap for the sea glass in the mall. Less than 5.00 for a nice size bag with many pieces. And part if the money collected was a donation to---- I think a school.

Safe sailing

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Forums mobile app